ADVERTISEMENT

OSU has real problems on defense

Also, why did you create a fake account just to troll this board??? You have approximately 4 post to your name. All 4 on this board.

Why not use the same handle you use on the OSU board??? Maybe because when everything you are saying is proven wrong you can simply hide under your real name????

Coward!!!!
Your posts counter changes on every rivals site you post on. I have over 60 posts here on Under the Dome, but there's another Rivals site where I have over 30k. They aren't creating new accounts to troll you, this is the first time the guys commented at Under the Dome probably. Come on now.

Personally, I'm not too optimistic about this game. The timing just isn't good for us - breaking in a new QB on the road against a Top 5 team. That's a tough matchup.

The good news is, even if we lose, we could conceivably run the table and still be in potential position for the Playoff - depending on how the rest of the season plays out.

Personally, I'm not too optimistic about this game. The timing just isn't good for us - breaking in a new QB on the road against a Top 5 team. That's a tough matchup.

The good news is, even if we lose, we could conceivably run the table and still be in potential position for the Playoff - depending on how the rest of the season plays out.
It's a very difficult game. I can't remember ever having a tougher opening game

Your posts counter changes on every rivals site you post on. I have over 60 posts here on Under the Dome, but there's another Rivals site where I have over 30k. They aren't creating new accounts to troll you, this is the first time the guys commented at Under the Dome probably. Come on now.
Why posters like you post on this site, as a fan of an opposing team, confuses me.

Why posters like you post on this site, as a fan of an opposing team, confuses me.
Because I like productive discussion with the "enemy" and don't want to stay inside an echo chamber. After the first game of the season I won't be here anyways. It's not that confusing

Reactions: mbd11

You could be right about running the table - after a possible OSU loss (not saying ND will lose) but I think the big unknown in CF this year is USC. Riley is really recruiting well and he is inheriting some untapped talent on that roster. I really think that ND will have an easier time with Clemson (at ND) than USC on the road.

You could be right about running the table - after a possible OSU loss (not saying ND will lose) but I think the big unknown in CF this year is USC. Riley is really recruiting well and he is inheriting some untapped talent on that roster. I really think that ND will have an easier time with Clemson (at ND) than USC on the road.
Those are no doubt our next two toughest games after Ohio State.

No way. We are going to have to throw more to win. They will be prepared for the run game
Like Michigan??? The strength of this ND team is the Oline/run game. If ND cannot run the ball then no reason to schedule teams like OSU week 1 on the road.

#2 He was talking about OSUs run game. It's very good. You acted like they were average running the ball

They did have the number 1 or 2 LB class in the country. And all the guys are a year older and will be coached better.

They will be better on defense than last year
OSU won every game by passing the ball. They will not beat ND with the run game.

You have a real problem with me. You even defend opponents fan base over me.

You have OSU winning this game. I have ND winning.

Just like I told you the Cincinnati Bearcats were more dangerous than Wisconsin. I am telling you, the OSU LBs are not good. ND will rush for 200 plus yards.

You still have #9 and #22 playing LB???? Then you still have problems.

Watch this clip. It will look the same vs ND.

Watch #22 constantly getting out muscled and he is out of position a lot.

Plus, your secondary can’t tackle

Like Michigan??? The strength of this ND team is the Oline/run game. If ND cannot run the ball then no reason to schedule teams like OSU week 1 on the road.
Jesus dude. You keep bringing up the Michigan game like it's the only game they played or the circumstances and situation will be the same.

We almost lost to Toledo. We gave up like 35 points to FSU.

Couldn't an OSU fan say if Toledo put up 30 on you, we'll put up 70.

If you only scored 31 against Toledo, how are you going to put up even 20 against us.

I think the OSU staff with 9 months to prepare will prepare to stop the run. We're going to have to throw the ball effectively to win

Why are you singleing out one game and using a 2 minute clip to back up your argument?
Sorry not #9, he is a converted DE?
#35 EICHENBERG not that good.

I chose that clip because
#1 it’s your rival/biggest game of the year so you should be at your best.

#2 I remember those LBs getting dominated.

I am sure if I brought up highlights vs Minnesota 200 yards rushing or against

Or I could look up clips from Oregon where they gave up 269 yards rushing.

Jesus dude. You keep bringing up the Michigan game like it's the only game they played or the circumstances and situation will be the same.

We almost lost to Toledo. We gave up like 35 points to FSU.

Couldn't an OSU fan say if Toledo put up 30 on you, we'll put up 70.

If you only scored 31 against Toledo, how are you going to put up even 20 against us.

I think the OSU staff with 9 months to prepare will prepare to stop the run. We're going to have to throw the ball effectively to win
Yes, OSU fans can and should say all the above.

For you I will now start referencing the Oregon game where they gave up 269 yards rushing or I will start bringing up the Minnesota game where they gave up 200 yards rushing.

Be realistic. Be objective
Be objective? Why???

The title of this thread is the weakness in the OSU defense. Those are the points I am making in this thread.

Yes, OSU has

A GREAT QB

A really good RB

A very good HC

A very good Dline

Top WRs

They have NFL talent everywhere!!!!

However, every team has a weakness. Their weakness is clearly on defense hence the new coaching staff on defense. But the LB personal is average at best.

It's a very difficult game. I can't remember ever having a tougher opening game
FSU last year when you show up with an incompetent defensive game plan :)
In all seriousness almost
Impossible to have a harder opening game. At gtech 2006 wasn’t easy.

Yes, OSU fans can and should say all the above.

For you I will now start referencing the Oregon game where they gave up 269 yards rushing or I will start bringing up the Minnesota game where they gave up 200 yards rushing.
I can reference all season. Our run game stunk last year.

I mean if we're using last year our OL and run game will stink this year...

Oh yeah thats right, that was last season. Same with them

Be objective? Why???

The title of this thread is the weakness in the OSU defense. Those are the points I am making in this thread.

Yes, OSU has

A GREAT QB

A really good RB

A very good HC

A very good Dline

Top WRs

They have NFL talent everywhere!!!!

However, every team has a weakness. Their weakness is clearly on defense hence the new coaching staff on defense. But the LB personal is average at best.
A really good rb!? LOL. They have the best or 2nd best rb in the country

A big part of a great oline is pass pro, we’ve been better at that then run game. Osu is going to do a lot to stop run, if we have a good pass pro we have the ability to score

People need to realize how hard this game is going to be to win…. We’re going against the best passing game in the country and our clear biggest weakness is 2nd safety and 2nd corner. Lewis gave up probably 200 yards and 2 tds vs ok st and he may start this game.

nd path to winning is dline and lbs dominate, Joseph and hart play well, someone else steps up in secondary, and Buchner has coming out party

People need to realize how hard this game is going to be to win…. We’re going against the best passing game in the country and our clear biggest weakness is 2nd safety and 2nd corner. Lewis gave up probably 200 yards and 2 tds vs ok st and he may start this game.

nd path to winning is dline and lbs dominate, Joseph and hart play well, someone else steps up in secondary, and Buchner has coming out party
This game will absolutely be one of the toughest games Notre Dame will play all season. I do not believe anyone on this board is saying the opposite of that. However, Notre Dame will win this football game.

The Oline that Notre Dame will have this season will be the toughest Oline Ohio State will face all season. I stand by the prediction that ND will rush for over 200 yards and win the game because they control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.

A really good rb!? LOL. They have the best or 2nd best rb in the country
SMH
You will find something to debate me on in everything I say. Yes he’s very very good yes could be the best in the country what are you doing??? Arguing over really good????

This reminds me of last year at this time when you and I went back-and-forth on Wisconsin and Cincinnati and which opponent would be the best.

This game will absolutely be one of the toughest games Notre Dame will play all season. I do not believe anyone on this board is saying the opposite of that. However, Notre Dame will win this football game.

The Oline that Notre Dame will have this season will be the toughest Oline Ohio State will face all season. I stand by the prediction that ND will rush for over 200 yards and win the game because they control the line of scrimmage on both sides of the ball.
All season? Your first sentence is an understatement. Because it is at Columbus, I do not know of a tougher game, except Alabama and Clemson with Lawrence.........that is tougher in the last five seasons.

Reactions: Golson5
SMH
You will find something to debate me on in everything I say. Yes he’s very very good yes could be the best in the country what are you doing??? Arguing over really good????

This reminds me of last year at this time when you and I went back-and-forth on Wisconsin and Cincinnati and which opponent would be the best.
Yes. He's better then very good. He's elite. The QB, WRs and RB are elite

I understand your enthusiasm as you're a strong ND fan and should back your team BUT to try predict the 2022 OSU team is pointless. Just about everyone in the country has OSU with a top 2 or 3 offense (at minimum) and their whole season will ride on their LB play - if it improves over last year........it can't get any worse. They have mega talent on both sides of the board and most are projecting them to be a top 2 or 3 team with a few having them to win the NC. But I'm predicting a close game possibly going down to the final possession. OSU 45 - ND 38 or thereabouts.

If I was a ND fan, my biggest concern in this game is an unproven HC making his college debut against a powerhouse program. Not the easiest way to start out

Last edited:
The ND path to victory in this game is quite narrow. ND must effectively run the ball....and pass the ball. OSU will test both, and force ND to beat them. Scoring early puts OSU in a position to adjust when they would rather not. Variables such as penalties and turnovers could turn into 7 or 10 points, if ND is fortunate in those areas. However, I am not convinced that the O line will be the force in game 1 that is being touted. We have a new quarterback under center...and our O line must adapt to his skill set in real time. So the "experience" factor isn't quite as solid as advertised, imo. I can envision Buchner relying on the run when the pass is there...that is a liability...not taking advantage of opportunities the defense is giving us. He has to throw the ball with command, throughout the game. Then the run game can be as effective as it has to be. If he doesn't...neither run nor pass will produce enough points to keep this game close. OSU will do what they do...and ND has to keep up on the scoreboard. ND's defense will give up more points than expected...we need to make sure that OSU's does as well.

Freeman was on the staff last year. He ran the defense. He knows every player on and off the field. This is not some random guy off the streets.

The new DC is a seasoned coach that has coached at every level. The OC is a ND lifer and the Oline coach is one the best at every level. So, Freeman is surrounded by years of experience.

Again, this thread is about the OSU defense. Let’s stay focused on that.

I understand your enthusiasm as you're a strong ND fan and should back your team BUT to try predict the 2022 OSU team is pointless. Just about everyone in the country has OSU with a top 2 or 3 offense (at minimum) and their whole season will ride on their LB play - if it improves over last year........it can't get any worse. They have mega talent on both sides of the board and most are projecting them to be a top 2 or 3 team with a few having them to win the NC. But I'm predicting a close game possibly going down to the final possession. OSU 45 - ND 38 or thereabouts.

If I was a ND fan, my biggest concern in this game is an unproven HC making his college debut against a powerhouse program. Not the easiest way to start out
Freeman was on the staff last year. He ran the defense. He knows every player on and off the field. This is not some random guy off the streets.

The new DC is a seasoned coach that has coached at every level. The OC is a ND lifer and the Oline coach is one the best at every level. So, Freeman is surrounded by years of experience.

The ND path to victory in this game is quite narrow. ND must effectively run the ball....and pass the ball. OSU will test both, and force ND to beat them. Scoring early puts OSU in a position to adjust when they would rather not. Variables such as penalties and turnovers could turn into 7 or 10 points, if ND is fortunate in those areas. However, I am not convinced that the O line will be the force in game 1 that is being touted. We have a new quarterback under center...and our O line must adapt to his skill set in real time. So the "experience" factor isn't quite as solid as advertised, imo. I can envision Buchner relying on the run when the pass is there...that is a liability...not taking advantage of opportunities the defense is giving us. He has to throw the ball with command, throughout the game. Then the run game can be as effective as it has to be. If he doesn't...neither run nor pass will produce enough points to keep this game close. OSU will do what they do...and ND has to keep up on the scoreboard. ND's defense will give up more points than expected...we need to make sure that OSU's does as well.
I agree.

For ND to win they have to run the ball effectively.

OSU does have issues stopping the run. That has been the Achilles the past two seasons.

You seem to like the word "elite..." You said the same about Michael Floyd, which I disagreed with.
Yeah you were wrong. How wasnt he elite. All time leader in catches, yards , tds. Got drafted in the first round.

You have no backup to him not being elite other than your personal opinion and bias

I think the point many are trying to point out - including myself - is that people just can't make the statement that "OSU has problems on defense" when they just turned over their defensive staff. There's mega talent on that side of the ball if they get the right coaching. There's a reason they're a 14.5 point favorite right now out of Vegas - that's a lot. They're right there with Alabama and Georgia for top roster talent.

I agree.

OSU does have issues stopping the run. That has been the Achilles the past two seasons.
Ohio State was 24th in opponents rushing yards per game last year, that was better than Notre Dame (31st). Ohio State was even better in rushing defense during the 2020 season, coming in at 5th in the country in rushing yards given up per game. The weakness isn't as big as you're making it out to be, and it's even more hilarious considering you're trying to copy last year's defense and paste it to 2022 when the defensive staff has been wiped.

I agree.

I agree - stopping the run really falls - a ton - n that disastrous LB unit last year. BTW, who was the LB coach for OSU last year ? Any ideas ?

I agree - stopping the run really falls - a ton - n that disastrous LB unit last year. BTW, who was the LB coach for OSU last year ? Any ideas ?
Your DL wasnt that great last year either though. The legend may be slipping

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT