ADVERTISEMENT

OSU has real problems on defense

Day is a young coach learning on the biggest stage but he's made what appears to be the right choice in terms of a DC and has clearly stated to Coach Marotti in S&C that whatever soft culture is present that it needs to be fixed and it's being done accordingly. He failed with his hire of the previous guy Coombs and the expectation is clear for this season and that's a national championship. Losing to anyone on the schedule this year would put him squarely on the hot seat.
No chance

Notre Dame
Wisconsin
At Michigan State
At Penn State
Michigan

And you’re saying if you go 11-1 Ryan Day could be fired.

I don’t believe that
He won't be fired but it's clear that if they want to get a national championship this is the season to do it. Zach Smith said on his podcast today that he thinks the offense can be as good or better than LSU 2019. They have far superior talent than every one of those teams you listed and quite frankly it's not even close. If the defense is just serviceable they'll bring home a championship and the Vegas odds makers and bettors agree.

He won't be fired but it's clear that if they want to get a national championship this is the season to do it. Zach Smith said on his podcast today that he thinks the offense can be as good or better than LSU 2019. They have far superior talent than every one of those teams you listed and quite frankly it's not even close. If the defense is just serviceable they'll bring home a championship and the Vegas odds makers and bettors agree.

You don’t have Joe Burrow. Get out of here with that bs. You almost lost to Utah a few months ago. What players are going to make a difference from severe BIG10 runner up a few months ago to LSU 2019?

You don’t have Joe Burrow. Get out of here with that bs. You almost lost to Utah a few months ago. What players are going to make a difference from severe BIG10 runner up a few months ago to LSU 2019?
Stroud is the best QB in the country and there's a very good chance he's the top overall pick in the draft next year. Threw for 4500 yards and 44 td with a 71% completion percentage and 186 qb rating. That's way better than Burrow did in his first year as a starter when he was way older and CJ didn't even play in all the games. He's got an elite WR room, 1000 yard rusher and one of the best offensive lines in college football with multiple potential first round picks. There's no weaknesses on the offense and he's going to get more chances with a better defense this year.

Reactions: Jerielp
What was LSU in 2018?

First, I already know some of the responses I will get:

They have a new DC.
That was last year.

The issues last year for the OSU defense was not scheme or technique. It was personal.

Looking at the last 2 games of the season (Michigan and Utah). Stats do not lie.

VS. Michigan
They gave up 487 yards 297 of those yards were rushing.

VS. Utah
They gave up 463 total yards 237 were rushing.

The strength of this ND team will be the Oline/rush game. I expect ND to rush for 250-300 yards on OSU. For everyone that is saying "OSU will just load the box and make the inexperienced QB throw", not gonna happen. OSU will not load the box vs ND. they never load the box against anyone. Michigan had an average passing game. OSU did not load the box against them.

Also, OSU has an average run game. They are a team that has an NFL QB and they will air it out 65-70 percent of the time.

ND will control this game on the ground.
Here is where you said it @Zorich 88

They have a new DC.
That was last year.

The issues last year for the OSU defense was not scheme or technique. It was personal.

Looking at the last 2 games of the season (Michigan and Utah). Stats do not lie.

VS. Michigan

VS. Utah

The strength of this ND team will be the Oline/rush game. I expect ND to rush for 250-300 yards on OSU. For everyone that is saying "OSU will just load the box and make the inexperienced QB throw", not gonna happen. OSU will not load the box vs ND. they never load the box against anyone. Michigan had an average passing game. OSU did not load the box against them.

Also, OSU has an average run game. They are a team that has an NFL QB and they will air it out 65-70 percent of the time.

This thread aged well. 🤔

But good game, Domers. Your guys played a tough game, and I don't think you had a bad game plan. A couple of key breakdowns turned the game around for OSU, and then they just ground you down at the end. I expect you to have a fine season if you continue to play like that.

Reactions: BucksLAN

They have a new DC.
That was last year.

VS. Michigan

VS. Utah

Looking back, this turned out to be hilarious. He missed on just about every point he made.

But with that said, ND's coaching staff deserves a ton of credit, especially the defensive coaches. A well-planned game

Reactions: kybuckeye2
Your right, they won’t give up 30 points a game. Why? Because outside of Notre Dane and Michigan they have a pretty easy schedule.

My point, OSU will not win games because of their defense.

I will stand by my assessment that the OSU run defense has problems.

I will also stand by my prediction that ND will rush for over 250 yards on OSU.
Well, you were close. ND rushed for 76 yards.

If OSU has problems on defense, what happens when they play a team with an offense? There are teams that play at Gately Stadium with a better offense than ND!!!!!

tOSU had lotsa of talent recruited for them to field a top defense. Apparently that talent is now paired with competent to good or excellent coaching. LB is still questionable but since you have 2 good ones and generally only play 2 barring injury that is no longer a weakness. DL is solid. Speed in DB: no problem. But when you get to UGA and Ala. you got all that and more!

They have a new DC.
That was last year.

VS. Michigan

VS. Utah

Boy, were you wrong!!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT