ADVERTISEMENT

On We Go To 2018

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
With signing day behind us, we move on to 2018 and the next group of ND recruits. I think the 2017 class wasnsolid, but far from elite. I see 4-5 potential difference makers, but outside of Amosa and Ewell (two big gets), and a couple high upside projects whose size I really like in Genmark-Heath and Owusu-Koromoah I think the ,aortic of the best players are at positions ND routinely lands good players (OL and TE).

2018 is a fresh opportunity to bridge the talent gap between ND and the top schools. With development under Elko and Balis likely on the upswing, ND's next charge is to land higher caliber players in order to maximize that developmental potential... As per usual at this time of the year, ND has a quality early board of top players. Here are some of the potential difference makers ND has a serious shot with early on. Note that I don't include players on the list that I feel have virtually no real interest in ND at this poiny. Obviously things can change, however.

5 star QB Phil Jurkovec (committed)
4 star RB Markese Stepp (committed)
4 star RB TJ Pledger
5 star WR Amon-Ra St. Brown
4 star WR Micah Jones
4 star WR Brian Hightower
4 star WR Kamryn Babb
4 star WR Kevin Austin
4 star WR Braden Lenzy
4 star WR Jahan Dotson
4 star WR Cameron Johnson
4 star TE Jeremy Ruckert
4 star TE Will Mallory
4 star TE Mustapha Muhammad
4 star OL Tommy Brown
4 star OL Ryan Hayes
4 star OL Finn Dirstine
4 star DT Jayson Ademilola (committed)
4 star DT PJ Mustipher
4 star DT Aneas Hawkins
4 star DE Justin Ademilola (committed)
4 star DE Tyreke Smith
4 star DE Elijah Wade
4 star DE Malik Vann
4 star DE Devin O'Rourke
4 star LB Bo Bauer (committed)
4 star LB Dallas Gant
4 star LB Dax Hollifield
4 star LB Jack Sanborn
4 star LB Terrance Taylor
4 star LB Cameron McGrone
4 star S Shayne Simon
5 star S Tyreke Johnson
4 star S Trey Dean
4 star S Jaiden Woodbey
4 star S CJ Smith
4 star CB Derrik Allen
4 star CB Bookie Radley-Hiles
4 star CB Houston Griffith
4 star CB Christian Tutt
4 star ATH Josh Moore

I expect ND to take a class of around 21 kids next year. Obviously, ND usually ends up with between 6-10, 3 star players that I have not listed here... If they can keep the players they currently have committed, and add 5-6 guys from this list, they'll be in good shape.

I expect the class to include...

1 QB
2 RB
3 WR
1 TE
3 OL
2 DE
2 DT / NG
2 LB
1 Rover
3 CB
1 S

With signing day behind us, we move on to 2018 and the next group of ND recruits. I think the 2017 class wasnsolid, but far from elite. I see 4-5 potential difference makers, but outside of Amosa and Ewell (two big gets), and a couple high upside projects whose size I really like in Genmark-Heath and Owusu-Koromoah I think the ,aortic of the best players are at positions ND routinely lands good players (OL and TE).

2018 is a fresh opportunity to bridge the talent gap between ND and the top schools. With development under Elko and Balis likely on the upswing, ND's next charge is to land higher caliber players in order to maximize that developmental potential... As per usual at this time of the year, ND has a quality early board of top players. Here are some of the potential difference makers ND has a serious shot with early on. Note that I don't include players on the list that I feel have virtually no real interest in ND at this poiny. Obviously things can change, however.

5 star QB Phil Jurkovec (committed)
4 star RB Markese Stepp (committed)
4 star RB TJ Pledger
5 star WR Amon-Ra St. Brown
4 star WR Micah Jones
4 star WR Brian Hightower
4 star WR Kamryn Babb
4 star WR Kevin Austin
4 star WR Braden Lenzy
4 star WR Jahan Dotson
4 star WR Cameron Johnson
4 star TE Jeremy Ruckert
4 star TE Will Mallory
4 star TE Mustapha Muhammad
4 star OL Tommy Brown
4 star OL Ryan Hayes
4 star OL Finn Dirstine
4 star DT Jayson Ademilola (committed)
4 star DT PJ Mustipher
4 star DT Aneas Hawkins
4 star DE Justin Ademilola (committed)
4 star DE Tyreke Smith
4 star DE Elijah Wade
4 star DE Malik Vann
4 star DE Devin O'Rourke
4 star LB Bo Bauer (committed)
4 star LB Dallas Gant
4 star LB Dax Hollifield
4 star LB Jack Sanborn
4 star LB Terrance Taylor
4 star LB Cameron McGrone
4 star S Shayne Simon
5 star S Tyreke Johnson
4 star S Trey Dean
4 star S Jaiden Woodbey
4 star S CJ Smith
4 star CB Derrik Allen
4 star CB Bookie Radley-Hiles
4 star CB Houston Griffith
4 star CB Christian Tutt
4 star ATH Josh Moore

I expect ND to take a class of around 21 kids next year. Obviously, ND usually ends up with between 6-10, 3 star players that I have not listed here... If they can keep the players they currently have committed, and add 5-6 guys from this list, they'll be in good shape.

I expect the class to include...

1 QB
2 RB
3 WR
1 TE
3 OL
2 DE
2 DT / NG
2 LB
1 Rover
3 CB
1 S
Thanks IIO. It's early. Who do you like our chances of landing? Go out on a limb here

Thanks IIO. It's early. Who do you like our chances of landing? Go out on a limb here

If ND has a rebound season....

I like ND for Houston Griffith, Devin O'Rourke, Malik Vann, Dallas Gant (upset over Ohio State), Tommy Brown, PJ Mustipher, Micah Jones as of right now. We'll have to see how ND looks coming out of its junior days and Irish Invasion.

Stepp looks like a difference maker at RB and surprise he's from Indiana. But if Kelly starts 0-4 you can kiss this recruiting class goodbye.

Just watched tape off the Ademolia twins. VERY distruptive. One of them dominated 5 star isiah Wilson at a camp. These 2 will be difference makers. LB Bauer is a beast. Biggest concern imo is keeping Jurkovec. Avery Davis is not the qb of the future, give me Jurkovec. Rees needs to become his new best friend

Reactions: Bodizephax
Just watched tape off the Ademolia twins. VERY distruptive. One of them dominated 5 star isiah Wilson at a camp. These 2 will be difference makers. LB Bauer is a beast. Biggest concern imo is keeping Jurkovec. Avery Davis is not the qb of the future, give me Jurkovec. Rees needs to become his new best friend

Agreed.

ND has to keep the QB In the fold. Should help that Kizer is about to be drafted really high. That will help him stay confident that Kelly can produce a highly drafted QB. ND also should have no problem landing weapons in the passing game for him either. St. Brown is my top target, obviously, and the combination of Alexander, Long and Polian better talk to that kid every day until he decides. I'd seriously promise Amon-Ra a starting spot in the offense from day 1. I eouldn't care who I had to move around either to get it done. Either he or Stepherson could play in the slot. I also love Jahan Dotson and I think ND leads for Micah Jones, who I like as a big "W" receiver, but Id rather have Kamryn Babb or Brian Hightower if I had my choice... Oh and Jahan Dotson as amazing too. What great year at WR!

Just give me these guys and we're all good :)... For the record, this is not 1985, so this won't happen hahaha.

QB: Phil Jurkovec
RB: Markese Stepp
RB: TJ Pledger
WR: Amon-Ra St. Brown
WR: Micah Jones
WR: Jahan Dotson
TE: Jeremy Ruckert
OT: Tommy Brown
OT: Ryan Hayes
OG: Juice Scruggs
SDE: Malik Vann
SDE: Devin O'Rourke
WDE: Justin Ademilola
DT: Jayson Ademilola
NG: PJ Mustipher
Rover: Ovie Oghoufo
Buck: Dallas Gant
Mike: Bo Bauer
S: Shayne Simon
S: Jaiden Woodbey
CB: Houston Griffith
CB: Braden Lenzy

Lol... I tried to keep it realistic there, but it still got far fetched.

Reactions: chaseball
I have seen the 21 player class predicted a few times now. Must be a solid number.

I like your allocation of the 21 IIO. We have 6 now so only 15 more.

Micah Jones seems coveted by the staff. He catches the ball really easily but I can't tell much else from the little film of him I saw. Why is he so coveted? Is it because he is 6'5? I am thinking that they just want to get the ball rolling at that position and take a 6'5 guy with hands as the bird in hand then chase two higher ranked ones in the bush. Do we go for a slot type in the 2018 class? We will have Sanders, Finke, McIntosh and Young there. I don't think slot will be a prominent position with Long.

Sucks that we really need OL this year because it is allegedly a so so year for them. Great that we need CBs with a wide open depth chart because it is a good year for them.

I have seen the 21 player class predicted a few times now. Must be a solid number.

I like your allocation of the 21 IIO. We have 6 now so only 15 more.

Micah Jones seems coveted by the staff. He catches the ball really easily but I can't tell much else from the little film of him I saw. Why is he so coveted? Is it because he is 6'5? I am thinking that they just want to get the ball rolling at that position and take a 6'5 guy with hands as the bird in hand then chase two higher ranked ones in the bush. Do we go for a slot type in the 2018 class? We will have Sanders, Finke, McIntosh and Young there. I don't think slot will be a prominent position with Long.

Sucks that we really need OL this year because it is allegedly a so so year for them. Great that we need CBs with a wide open depth chart because it is a good year for them.

Micah Jones is a coveted guy because of his length and his ability to snatch the ball at its highest point. Comparatively, he reminds me of Mo Stovall or a quicker, more sure handed Miles Boykin. Prototype "W" receiver to play into the boundary in the ND offense ala Corey Robinson and EQ St Brown. Jones is a top 20 receiver in the class and ND and Del Alexander should have this one on lock down. Land Jones then chase two "X" receivers that have the ability in the slot as well. Amon-Rather St. Brown being the obvious first priority, followed by Jahan Dotson, Braden Lenzy (he's a two way guy), Brian Hightower, Kamryn Babb, etc, etc.

It may not be a great year at OL across the class, but I like ND for some key guys. Top 100 OT Tommy Brown from Mater Dei in California has heavy interest in ND. I think Brown is a prototype RT. Juice Scruggs in Pensylvannia is a consensus top 10 guard that wants an ND offer and if he gets one ND is probably in that until the end. Ryan Hayes is Michigan G/T prospect that Hiestand offered and is building a relationship with. 4 star guy that will likely come down to the Michigan schools and ND. Finn Derstine is another 4 star guard prospect out at Lawrence Academy in Mass. Has already visited ND and the Irish should be a major player for him if they choose to push hard. 4 star OG Wyatt Blake, just up the road from ND in Crystal Lake Illinois is another guy to watch. He has also already visited ND and if the Irish offer I think it's pretty much over. I think ND only takes one guard this year though so he might not be at the top of the pecking order.... I share your concern a little bit at tackle. It's not a great year for the class, but if ND can pull Brown or Hayes and find one more, they'll be fine.

As for DB, I haven't been this excited for the POTENTIAL of the ND haul in a long time. A lot has to go right, obviously, and we saw how last year's secondary class fell apart and how the staff made a critical error in not offering Russ Yeast months ahead of when they did. That said, ND probaby sits near the top of the list for guys like Derrik Allen, Houston Griffith, Braden Lenzy and Bookie Radley-Hills right now, and they only need one of those top 100 corners to build a good secondary class. If they were able to leverage the fact that they took ZERO corners last year and get a pair of them, it would be a homerun... Safety is my concern right now. It seems like it's become a harder position to recruit at ND than just about any other. Elko is going to personally coach the safeties and he should also personally recruit them. There is no reason ND shouldn't land a pair of 4 star guys at that position every year. Tyreke Johnson may be a stretch, although I'd love to get him. Shayne Simon, who plays with the Ademilola's is a kid that I like a lot. 6'2, 200lb strong safety who runs and hits. Reminds me a lot of former ND safety and New Jersey product Elijah Shumate, except that Simon is about 2 inches taller. Trey Dean is a guy I like as well. Really highly coveted kid from Georgia, however. Going to be as tough pull... I expect 5 or 6 more names to become known as we get deeper into the spring.

Reactions: chaseball
I wouldn't worry too much about jurkovec unless our irish have another bad season because he and family are huge irish fans and plus he part chose our irish for the school and not for the coaches as much

Griffith is a must get with him being a somewhat of a local kid for our irish being from the Chicago area and the fact that our irish were on him early and with him being high on the irish also. WR armon and NG mustipher are also must gets with both having brothers at nd and both also being high on our irish. armon went almost crazy in excitement a week or so ago when he tweeted about getting offered by the buckeyes and so they could end up being a player for his services as they are these days with just about every player that they want

I wouldn't worry too much about jurkovec unless our irish have another bad season because he and family are huge irish fans and plus he part chose our irish for the school and not for the coaches as much
Good to hear that. We cannot afford to lose him he looks like the real deal

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT