ADVERTISEMENT

My Thoughts on the Georgia Game

Irish Grandeur

Posts Like A Champion
Jan 3, 2010
BK is going to model this game the same way he modeled the LSU game a few years ago.

There's going to be tough TE play.

It's going to be a smash-mouth football game.

It will be all-out football. Mano y mano.

ND wants a championship and this is the year. He will keep up the 'smash-mouth' concept all year long.

BK will finally come into his own and get back to ND's roots.

I agree that UGA will be up for the smash mouth approach as Kirby is the ultimate disciple of Saban and seems to be instilling that Bama mentality fairly well thus far. I'll be curious as to how ND (specifically Kelly) responds after getting "punched in the mouth" because it's bound to happen at some point. Based on the approach in the first game and Chip calling plays, I'm encouraged but just need to see it. Josh is such a bruiser and if the line (if as good as advertised) starts pushing the LoS it will be fun to watch.

Both teams will battle for the advantage at the LOS. Going to be extremely hard hitting.

The LSU game is a good comparison from a physicality standpoint. Major difference is that Fromm will be a significantly better passer than anything LSU could field. That threat to pass and Georgia's talented pass catchers, will make it extremely difficult on ND's defense to contain Chubb and Michel.

On the flip side, ND is stout up front but Georgia is excellent as well. ND will need their pass catchers to make plays against the patchwork Georgia secondary.

Our Secondary is very good, we will likely be down one player in the Defensive Backfield and he has been out a while.

In an interview with one of your reporters from UGASPORTS.com this week, one of ND'S reporters asked about your secondary...

Your "expert" reported that one starter was out, one is nursing a hamstring injury and one, Richard Lacounte (who I know is really talented) is a true freshman going on the road for the first time.

Is that wrong?

In an interview with one of your reporters from UGASPORTS.com this week, one of ND'S reporters asked about your secondary...

Your "expert" reported that one starter was out, one is nursing a hamstring injury and one, Richard Lacounte (who I know is really talented) is a true freshman going on the road for the first time.

Is that wrong?

The practice report I saw yesterday coming out of Georgia's practice yesterday was that Aaron Davis was still limited in practice. (Link)

In August, this was Smart's own take on his secondary: (Link)

It’s concerning that we don’t have the depth needed,” Smart said. “We have a void in our secondary. We have old and we have young. We have nothing in the middle. So it’s really concerning. We’re having to move guys around. Like, we’re having to play Zo (outside linebacker Lorenzo Carter) in different places. We’re having to play AD (defensive back Aaron Davis) at some corner and nickel for some practices. Because you don’t know if that one spot may (lose someone) to an injury and we don’t know where your depth is going to be.

These freshmen have not shown up in the secondary to make themselves ready to play, like maybe a running back, wide receiver or an o-lineman. That’s the deficiency and where we have to improve it
.”

Reactions: Irish Grandeur
Kirby is comparing this secondary to his at Alabama. It is a good secondary, it's not alabama though. My understanding is we are just down one.

Kirby is comparing this secondary to his at Alabama. It is a good secondary, it's not alabama though. My understanding is we are just down one.

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't realize he was making a comparison to Alabama. I thought he was talking about the void that was left when four of your defensive backs transferred out the of the program during the off season.

Reactions: IRISH_FRIAR
Every position is important but the key for ND will be the running game. If GA shuts down the running game, including Wimbush, I don't believe the Irish are talented enough to win one dimensional. I would say the same is true for GA. If the Irish shut down GA's ground game, I don't believe GA beats ND as a one dimensional team. As stated in earlier comments it's ND's strength (OL) against GA's strength (DL). It's GA's question mark (OL) against NDs question mark (DL). Two talented but inexperienced QBs surrounded by talented RBs. Could it come down to Special Teams, TOs, penalties?

Those guys left with Grantham and some went to Louisville and some went to Auburn. Ironically, Marshall the Auburn QB during there last BCS game was a UGA D back that transferred. Anyway, the years following, our secondary was bad but the pass rush was so good it covered for it. We have a very good secondary now, unlike at that time.

We may have lost a guy or two to transfer the last two off seasons but it was no one of note.

Those guys left with Grantham and some went to Louisville and some went to Auburn. Ironically, Marshall the Auburn QB during there last BCS game was a UGA D back that transferred. Anyway, the years following, our secondary was bad but the pass rush was so good it covered for it. We have a very good secondary now, unlike at that time.

We may have lost a guy or two to transfer the last two off seasons but it was no one of note.

There isn't any "may have" about it. And it wasn't a "guy or two", it was four Georgia DB's transferring out of the program in 2017:
1) Juwuane Briscoe, who started four games for you last year and transferred to Rutgers;
2) Reggie Wilkerson, who transferred to Iowa State;
3) Rico McGraw, who transferred to Murray State
4) Kirby Choates, who had academic issues and didn't seem to land anywhere yet.

I don't see how those transfers relate to Grantham's 2014 departure. None of this year's DB's went to Louisville or Auburn.

But apparently Smart wasn't talking about the void left by those departures. He was really just comparing the program to Alabama. I never would have got that.

Not being a smart Alec but must of us do not view those players as top flight. I guess we will see tomorrow if they are missed.

Greyshirts if you will, making room for better players.

Not being a smart Alec but must of us do not view those players as top flight. I guess we will see tomorrow if they are missed.

Greyshirts if you will, making room for better players.

I think Georgia's secondary is much improved. It's fairly small at the safety position, but I really, really like Lacounte and I think y'all will get better as he matures throughout the season and your guys nursing injuries get healthy. I'm really hoping ND's receivers can take advantage of you guys being a little young and banged up but a lot of that will depend on ND's ability to pass block vs your excellent front 7.

Reactions: faviles15
We had bad secondary problems Richts last 2-3 seasons. We are at least serviceable now but there was a time when we thought we had to convert WRs.

We let Mecole go back to offense so that was a good sign.

Hope for a clean, hard fought game with no injuries for either squad.

Think Georgia will,spread out and run off the pass. Look for a lot of play action and short medium routes.

Our backs are great, but our OLine is average. Fromm will be fine. Very accurate especially on shorter
throws.

Georgia defense looks good, but will struggle,with contain. We always do. Look for ND QB to pick up a lot of yards with his feet.

Think it will be a close game through 3 quarters. UGA 34 - ND 24

Both teams will battle for the advantage at the LOS. Going to be extremely hard hitting.

The LSU game is a good comparison from a physicality standpoint. Major difference is that Fromm will be a significantly better passer than anything LSU could field. That threat to pass and Georgia's talented pass catchers, will make it extremely difficult on ND's defense to contain Chubb and Michel.

On the flip side, ND is stout up front but Georgia is excellent as well. ND will need their pass catchers to make plays against the patchwork Georgia secondary.

I guess Fromm will be a better passer, but he's still only a true freshman, which will help. Also, as good as their RBs are, they're not Fournette. That guy had a monster game against us.

Should be a smashmouth game.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT