ADVERTISEMENT

Just to keep posters honest

irishstuey81

Shakes Down The Thunder
Oct 8, 2014
I will revive this post next November and see where the program is at. Who thinks Kelly is going to right the ship and get up back into contention for the playoffs? That would atleast mean 10-2, but most likely 11-1.

Bonus question: Who thinks we get to 8 wins next year? I'll say no, 7-5 because we get a lucky break late in one game and the board says, "will we were young and so and so got injured and blah blah freaking blah...

I'm going to say that the ceiling is 10-2, with the low being 7-5.

Excluding bowl games, because depending on our record, we will be put in a game we don't deserve, only to be throttled.

I'm cautiously optimistic, this program has been smoke and mirrors for the last 2 decades even when they post "solid seasons".

I think the combo of winbush, o line, t ends, along with receivers SHOULD be able to move the ball at will. But we've read that story all too often. And our defense should improve, but I don't think it'll be enough of an improvement.

Like I said, cautiously optimistic.

Reactions: deadirishpoet
I'm going to say that the ceiling is 10-2, with the low being 7-5.

Excluding bowl games, because depending on our record, we will be put in a game we don't deserve, only to be throttled.

I'm cautiously optimistic, this program has been smoke and mirrors for the last 2 decades even when they post "solid seasons".

I think the combo of winbush, o line, t ends, along with receivers SHOULD be able to move the ball at will. But we've read that story all too often. And our defense should improve, but I don't think it'll be enough of an improvement.

Like I said, cautiously optimistic.
I believe cautiously optimistic fits three quarters of the board.

Defense will let us down, injuries on offemse. 8-4 Kelly still retained though

I will revive this post next November and see where the program is at. Who thinks Kelly is going to right the ship and get up back into contention for the playoffs? That would atleast mean 10-2, but most likely 11-1.

Bonus question: Who thinks we get to 8 wins next year? I'll say no, 7-5 because we get a lucky break late in one game and the board says, "will we were young and so and so got injured and blah blah freaking blah...
Blah, blah freaking blah is how I would describe your posts.

Reactions: Bodizephax
I'm tired of these newbie's drivel. Time to ignore two youngsters.

If you're referring to me - I've been on these boards for at least 5 years, just never felt the need to post. Usually never had time. Not sure what warrants an ignore based off these posts, but oh well, can't please everyone

Why is it important to keep any posters "honest"? I think this is just a beard to try and disguise yet another negative analysis of the football program...aka Brian Kelly. Predicting the 2017 season is nearly impossible. You basically are making a prediction on how things stand right now, not in March or September or November. You know, the injury thing. Maybe a suspension. Maybe calls fall our way. Maybe they don't. Maybe the ball bounces our way. Maybe it doesn't. Teeny tiny things that can affect a game, a season, that can't be predicted in February.

If Kelly let's his assistants coach we could have a good year. I am glad most of his staff was purged. Also recruiting should have a up tick. VanGorder didn't recruit. Elko is a good recruiter. He runs the same defense as Allen at IU. Keeps it simple for the players.

Reactions: deadirishpoet

It's not about the record for me, it's the eye test. Will this team be consistent in the 3 phases of the game offense, defense, and special teams? Will we tackle better? If all that improves we'll have had a good season.

I will start the season with belief that with the right breaks 12-0 and playoffs is possible. You have to get some breaks to win an NC. Margins are often thin and even 6-6 is possible ... hard to imagine worse than 8 wins but these are kids and if the boulder starts rolling back down the hill at mid-season get out the way!

Cause
It's not about the record for me, it's the eye test. Will this team be consistent in the 3 phases of the game offense, defense, and special teams? Will we tackle better? If all that improves we'll have had a good season.

I really hope the answer is new assistants, but there is zero evidence that special teams will get better. This phase of the game has been atrocious under Kelly. Not much evidence that the defense will get much better either, unless they finally develop some kind of pass rush and the CB's completely transform into different players. Having mediocre DB's and a well below average pass rush is a recipe for disaster. It's really going to be a make or break with Wimbush or Book on offense.

It seems reading all the optimism expressed that that optimism is based upon 1 simple fact/hope/assumption: less input/affect/involvment by the head coach! An interesting presumption.
Is this what Swarbrick had in mind? Will the head coach be attending the games?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT