ADVERTISEMENT

Regular folks: it’s about to get ugly up in Under the Dome

HRC08

All Star
Sep 5, 2007
Use this thread as shelter from the drunk, reactionary game day brigade. Cool and level headed posters can feel safe here. I’ll start.

That sh$t f^kn stunk. Reeseeee and Jeff Quinn are fired. Golden is Van Gorder 2.0.

Nah I’m kidding but I did sort of see this coming. Look this was Freeman’s first week having to put together a game plan without a month to do so.

Worst yet Freeman has no identity. Thus far he’s done what was expected or worse what he was told to do. He and Rees seem to be speaking a different language. He is run defense and strong run offense. Rees has no clear philosophy.

The way I see it, Coach Freeman has 2 options. Keep doing what you think others want you to do and get fired or… think back to the day you went in to coaching and be that f^cking man.

Stop with all of the smily moments with players and feeling that you have to please everybody or you have to be nice or even acknowledge everybody. F^ck those people! You don’t have time to be that guy anymore. You are the Head Coach. Monday morning: Tell Rees to get his head out of his ass or go put his head up Brian Kelly’s ass next season and walk out of his office. Go see Al Golden and tell him how impressed you are with him. It’s not easy to completely ruin a defense in 2 games. Well done, Al! He has 1 half of football to change stuff or you’ll be taking over the defense. Get mad and break sh^t! The next time JS calls you send his ass to voicemail.

I’m watching the live feed of Irish breakdown and Brian Driscoll just said the same thing. And I quote it is Marcus Freeman’s neck on the line so I would take all of the power back from the assistant coaches

Why the hell is Estime the lead back? Looks awful, Tyree should be getting 15, Digs 10 and Estime 5

Reactions: Airzee23
I suppose it is how you respond to things. Teams have turned it around after starts like this, and teams have folded. A lot of the remaining games are still winnable.

nobody wants to play App State, and Chase Brice is a top 10 quarterback. They should have beat UNC last week.

Use this thread as shelter from the drunk, reactionary game day brigade. Cool and level headed posters can feel safe here. I’ll start.

That sh$t f^kn stunk. Reeseeee and Jeff Quinn are fired. Golden is Van Gorder 2.0.

Nah I’m kidding but I did sort of see this coming. Look this was Freeman’s first week having to put together a game plan without a month to do so.

Worst yet Freeman has no identity. Thus far he’s done what was expected or worse what he was told to do. He and Rees seem to be speaking a different language. He is run defense and strong run offense. Rees has no clear philosophy.

The way I see it, Coach Freeman has 2 options. Keep doing what you think others want you to do and get fired or… think back to the day you went in to coaching and be that f^cking man.

Stop with all of the smily moments with players and feeling that you have to please everybody or you have to be nice or even acknowledge everybody. F^ck those people! You don’t have time to be that guy anymore. You are the Head Coach. Monday morning: Tell Rees to get his head out of his ass or go put his head up Brian Kelly’s ass next season and walk out of his office. Go see Al Golden and tell him how impressed you are with him. It’s not easy to completely ruin a defense in 2 games. Well done, Al! He has 1 half of football to change stuff or you’ll be taking over the defense. Get mad and break sh^t! The next time JS calls you send his ass to voicemail.
You say Freeman wants a strong run offense. College and pro football teams win with strong passing games. The old philosophy of winning with just a good run game and strong defense is a relic. It doesn't work anymore. Pass the ball effectively and put up points, that's what wins.

You say Freeman wants a strong run offense. College and pro football teams win with strong passing games. The old philosophy of winning with just a good run game and strong defense is a relic. It doesn't work anymore. Pass the ball effectively and put up points, that's what wins.
Really? Bama is averaging 8.7 yards per carry. They can run the ball, but they can also throw the ball. They have had a balanced offense. That's how you win.

I know that, you know that and of course Marcus Freeman knows that. So that being said why do you suspect he’s on record saying this team is going to have to run the ball and stop the run to be effective? I have an idea, if you’d allow… it’s because this team can’t pass the ball effectively and running is the only other option.

That’s not true.

A strong running game allows you to protect or enhance your lead.
it eats up the clock.

it keeps the other team from getting the ball.

it bails you out in bad weather (Michigan)

Stick to your day job !

Reactions: NDinNJ
Incredibly hard to win if you can’t throw when the other team knows you have to throw

True, but many are EQUALLY LOSEABLE.

Today's was a CLOWN SHOW performance.

Hate to say it but -- SHADES OF GERRY FAUST.
That’s what I thought as I watched the game.

Being named a head coach, and then becoming a successful head coach is very difficult.

Making the transition from DC to HC is extremely difficult.

Yes, a few have done it, but NOT in the academic environment that exists at ND.

I can only hope that things get better, but the reality is that it appears that the administration made another calamitous decision in selecting a head coach

That’s what I thought as I watched the game.

Being named a head coach, and then becoming a successful head coach is very difficult.

Making the transition from DC to HC is extremely difficult.

Yes, a few have done it, but NOT in the academic environment that exists at ND.

I can only hope that things get better, but the reality is that it appears that the administration made another calamitous decision in selecting a head coach
They only seem to understand what it takes WHEN ND IS IN DECLINE. But as soon as things go well for awhile, they TAKE FOR GRANTED what THAT TAKES. In other words, they get complacent and act pretty stupidly.

It's been happening on and off since Leahy left.

True, but many are EQUALLY LOSEABLE.

Today's was a CLOWN SHOW performance.

Hate to say it but -- SHADES OF GERRY FAUST.
You would think ND learned it’s lesson. ND is not a place for on the field training. The successful coaches were all head coaches prior to SB. Now I understand the marquee coaches are not running to SB. So we are trying to catch that next urban Meyer assistant coach who becomes great. I’m rooting for MF but I think he’s shown the door year 4.

Reactions: G_a_r_y
They only seem to understand what it takes WHEN ND IS IN DECLINE. But as soon as things go well for awhile, they TAKE FOR GRANTED what THAT TAKES. In other words, they get complacent and act pretty stupidly.

It's been happening on and off since Leahy left.
I would just say they only learn what it takes when the $$$ is in decline.

If the team is losing and they are still generating profit they will be fine with it.

2 games in and I am looking for a brown paper bag to put over my head. No need for eyes holes. Is there a qb that can pass on the roster? Kelly is gone yet qb play continues to regressed..... should have removed most of his O staff when he left. Do we lose Carr? We better not lose to BC

Reactions: tbonesays
I was gone for the afternoon and came home and my daughter saw neighbor changing his Notre Dame lawn flag to a welcome fall flag. Figured that was a bad sign so checked yahoo sports, saw we lost and deleted game from dvr.

I stopped living and dying on sports a few years ago and it definitely lets me sleep better. I do like Freeman and hope he gets it turned around but I’m done obsessing on ND and the perennial bad news Bears.

Reactions: IrishBeer
I would just say they only learn what it takes when the $$$ is in decline.

If the team is losing and they are still generating profit they will be fine with it.
I don’t agree with that.

Money had nothing to do with Faust, Davie, Weiss and Freeman being hired

I don’t agree with that.

Money had nothing to do with Faust, Davie, Weiss and Freeman being hired
Right because 2 of 3 were hired directly following highly successful coaches who had the revenue flowing.

Weis was just the 3rd strike of an incompetent leadership. How many home games of the Davie, Willingham, Wei’s stretch did the consecutive home sellout streak hold for?

But, he’s a good man.

I was gone for the afternoon and came home and my daughter saw neighbor changing his Notre Dame lawn flag to a welcome fall flag. Figured that was a bad sign so checked yahoo sports, saw we lost and deleted game from dvr.

I stopped living and dying on sports a few years ago and it definitely lets me sleep better. I do like Freeman and hope he gets it turned around but I’m done obsessing on ND and the perennial bad news Bears.

I always take the approach that I’m a fan of Notre Dame. If the football team sucks, I can still take in a fall day on campus or visit the grotto. It sure is nice when the team is good, but can’t control what bone head decisions get made in athletics. I still had a productive day and likely smiled more than Freeman. What always makes me laugh is if I wear a Notre Dame shirt people give a look of embarrassment for you and/or stop and remind me how bad the football team is. To them it’s as if ND is not a university in and of itself.

Reactions: NDinNJ
2 games in and I am looking for a brown paper bag to put over my head. No need for eyes holes. Is there a qb that can pass on the roster? Kelly is gone yet qb play continues to regressed..... should have removed most of his O staff when he left. Do we lose Carr? We better not lose to BC
BC OL may be the worst in CF history!

Reactions: eastqtr1
Losing Carr AND losing to BC would appear to be distinct possibilities. Not predicting either, but, unlike less than 24 hours ago, both scenarios are now PLAUSIBLE.

Reactions: IrishBeer
This team is totally lost. This Marshall game is the worse loss in Notre Dame Football. There I said what I think.

If I could push time back to my linebacker days I would be totally delighted to play "D" against this offense, probably make 30 tackles a game against them.

An instance? How about needing momentum and having third and five - a magical clll - let's run straight ahed for nothing so we can punt. MAGICAL!

The offense has zero creativity at all. Little if any misdirection and so on. They are playing as if they don't need creativity, just smash mouth - except they can't smash mouth, the horses up fro don't have any push. End of story!

This team is totally lost. This Marshall game is the worse loss in Notre Dame Football. There I said what I think.

If I could push time back to my linebacker days I would be totally delighted to play "D" against this offense, probably make 30 tackles a game against them.

An instance? How about needing momentum and having third and five - a magical clll - let's run straight ahed for nothing so we can punt. MAGICAL!

The offense has zero creativity at all. Little if any misdirection and so on. They are playing as if they don't need creativity, just smash mouth - except they can't smash mouth, the horses up fro don't have any push. End of story!
Did you crawl out from under a rock? Tulsa, Navy x 4, USF, UCONN, I could go on. ND has had its share of terrible losses vs inferior competition during the Kelly, Weis, Willingham, and Davie era's.

What most people are forgetting. This is by far the toughest schedule ND has had in over a decade. Currently the #2 SoS behind Alabama.
Kelly NEVER dealt with a schedule this strong.

This has always baffled me about ND since Holtz. ND typically had that. Still puts lots of OLmen in the NFL.

Smash mouth will never go out of style. The best teams can depend on it. No doubt creativity and a balanced passing game is needed. But it's telling that ND cannot push a team like Marshall.

What I saw was a TELLING LACK OF LEADERSHIP. The team is like a HEADLESS HORSEMAN.

I've seen worse ND defeats dating back to the mid-50's, but this game certainly belongs in that category. Games like this can often mark a NEGATIVE WATERSHED MOMENT. Some that stand out to me:

SMU, 1956
UM, 1981
NW, 1995
GT, 2007
Duke, 2016

In each of these early season games -- 3 were openers -- ND found out what kind of team it ACTUALLY had as opposed to what it had IMAGINED.

I think that may have again happened yesterday.

Losing Carr AND losing to BC would appear to be distinct possibilities. Not predicting either, but, unlike less than 24 hours ago, both scenarios are now PLAUSIBLE.

Qb play was better under Kelly.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT