ADVERTISEMENT

The Good, The Bad

IrishBeer

Posts Like A Champion
Dec 6, 2021
The Good: Very happy with this win. Very happy we righted the ship in a way. Pyne is settling in. O Line gave him absurd time in the pocket. We got a turnover. Estime is a great back. Mayer is just a freak. Rees is calling better common sense plays and getting the ball to the playmakers. We aren’t blowing it horribly and getting demolished in big games like Oklahoma and LSU. We dominated in the trenches against an inferior opponent, which is good. I think this team is bowl bound and really decided they aren’t going to let the Marshall loss define them. Jayden Thomas is emerging for us in a position group that sorely needs it.

The bad: We are the same team defensively. Play well all game and then give up big plays that let them back in it. The offense scores most of their points in the first half and fizzles. Both of these issues have been consistent since the bowl game. Always letting teams back in regardless of how good or bad they are. This is a major issue that has to get fixed or we have absolutely no shot against Clemson and likely will lose to USC. Letting every team back in the game and not finishing strong in the second half is a major issue that will rear its head against better competition if not fixed. I’m not sure what can be done. It’s simply a motivational issue. Based on the stats, this game should’ve been an absolute blowout but somehow some way it was still only an 8 point win and had the potential to tie the game late.

Last edited:
The Good: Very happy with this win. Very happy we righted the ship in a way. Pyne is settling in. O Line gave him absurd time in the pocket. We got a turnover. Estime is a great back. Mayer is just a freak. Rees is calling better common sense plays and getting the ball to the playmakers. We aren’t blowing it horribly and getting demolished in big games like Oklahoma and LSU. We dominated in the trenches against an inferior opponent, which is good. I think this team is bowl bound and really decided they aren’t going to let the Marshall loss define them. Jayden Thomas is emerging for us in a position group that sorely needs it.

The bad: We are the same team defensively. Play well all game and then give up big plays that let them back in it. The offense scores most of their points in the first half and fizzles. Both of these issues have been consistent since the bowl game. Always letting teams back in regardless of how good or bad they are. This is a major issue that has to get fixed or we have absolutely no shot against Clemson and likely will lose to USC. Letting every team back in the game and not finishing strong in the second half is a major issue that will rear its head against better competition if not fixed. I’m not sure what can be done. It’s simply a motivational issue. Based on the stats, this game should’ve been an absolute blowout but somehow some way it was still only an 8 point win and had the potential to tie the game late.
"Simply a motivational issue " . It sure is easy to tell which posters here never played a down of football outside of their backyard. Good one, enjoyed the chuckle.

"Simply a motivational issue " . It sure is easy to tell which posters here never played a down of football outside of their backyard. Good one, enjoyed the chuckle.
Yeah, sometimes the other team is motivated, too.

Reactions: Kelso86
So you’re saying it’s normal and not an issue or there’s a different underlying cause? Enlighten me, football god.

So you’re saying it’s normal and not an issue or there’s a different underlying cause? Enlighten me, football god.
I don’t think you're capable of understanding the complexities of the game. Calling the opponent having some success a motivational issue is just silly. Were you expecting a shut out ? The opponent is trying too. The long pass play for a TD was the result of Golden calling a safety blitz and the blitzer didn't get home. The goal is to win more battles than you lose. ND lost that particular one.

Margin of victory never meant a damn thing to me as a player or a coach.

I honestly think there is a segment of the fan base here that thinks ND should score on every offensive play and not not give up one single yard on defense. BYU is a solid team. Very good win. Some just need something to complain about I guess.
I didn't see anyone say it wasn't a good win.

But you are on the opposite side of the spectrum. Both equally wrong. You think the coaches are always right, never make mistakes. And no one can question you or them.

2 things can be true. Yes we beat a ranked team, yes we looked good. But we could and should have won by more. There are certainly things we can improve on and get better at. Nothing wrong with pointing them out and talking about them on a message board.

You are just as bad as the other sides of fans. Just in a different way

I don’t think you're capable of understanding the complexities of the game. Calling the opponent having some success a motivational issue is just silly. Were you expecting a shut out ? The opponent is trying too. The long pass play for a TD was the result of Golden calling a safety blitz and the blitzer didn't get home. The goal is to win more battles than you lose. ND lost that particular one.

It means something in college football. Doesn't matter if you cared about it or not.

Reactions: IrishBeer
I honestly think there is a segment of the fan base here that thinks ND should score on every offensive play and not not give up one single yard on defense. BYU is a solid team. Very good win. Some just need something to complain about I guess.
👍👍👍

I understand that ND is not going to win every game 56-0. But what is bothersome to me is the taking plays off and mental errors. Not finishing the play or the drive. ND has yet to play a complete game. I checked the 247 team composite talent ranking. BYU is ranked #108. They had no business being on the same field as ND (who is ranked #10 in talent).

So no issue at all. Perfect game. You’re a clown. This has been a consistent issue since Ok. State. In fact. Al Golden said b4 the game, it’s a major issue they’re trying to fix. You simply dislike people that don’t share your twisted political viewpoints and it clouds your limited football IQ. Letting teams back in is the same issue in the second half of every game. That’s not a coincidence.

Last edited:

The BAD from my perspective was poor production in the red zone, especially inside the five. Other than that, two plays stick out to me. Allowing a first down run on third and eighteen was pathetic defense and tackling. Tyree’s drop of a perfectly designed and executed screen play was uncharacteristic and unacceptable, and cost us big yards at a critical time. Not looking for perfection and their run for a TD and their TD pass with blown coverage were also plays that hurt, but the above two were Unacceptable lapses that alone would have made for a more dominant second half. Execution not motivation is at play.

The BAD from my perspective was poor production in the red zone, especially inside the five. Other than that, two plays stick out to me. Allowing a first down run on third and eighteen was pathetic defense and tackling. Tyree’s drop of a perfectly designed and executed screen play was uncharacteristic and unacceptable, and cost us big yards at a critical time. Not looking for perfection and their run for a TD and their TD pass with blown coverage were also plays that hurt, but the above two were Unacceptable lapses that alone would have made for a more dominant second half. Execution not motivation is at play.

Good points. I forgot to add red zone issues. Has to improve to beat Clemson.

So there’s lack of execution in every game but just in the second half and typically only when we have the lead? That seems it could possibly be slightly a motivational issue mixed with other issues. Blown coverage and called blitzes is certainly part of it but this dates back to before Al Golden. The bowl game was the largest given up lead in program history. I’m not willing to accept that it’s solely execution that mysteriously falls apart just during second halves. I think it’s lack of killer instinct mixed with giving less effort by some players on each play in half two vs half one and also partially due to a component of playing not to lose. I don’t think it’s an issue unique to ND. I just think championship teams play lights out with equal effort for all 4 quarters, not just the first two. The good news, is it’s a coaching issue that should be fixable. The bad news is it has not been fixed since last season.

That said, I’m happy with the win and think we are growing.

Last edited:
I agree.

BYU went 10-3 last year and was 4-1 coming in with that loss to Oregon. Yet some folks expect a blowout win every single time and anything less is under-achieving.

Reactions: BGI User 756
What did Oregon beat them by?
And, what does that have to do with the game last night? Every week is different, so don't go quoting transitive ideas.

You act as though BYU is St. Mary's School for the Blind.

I agree.

BYU went 10-3 last year and was 4-1 coming in with that loss to Oregon. Yet some folks expect a blowout win every single time and anything less is under-achieving.
Nobody expects a blowout every week. Just shouldn’t do the following in the past 6 games: give up the biggest lead in program history in half two of the bowl game, give up the lead to Ohio State in half two, give up the lead vs Marshall, beat Cal by stopping a Hail Marry at the end of the game, and allow BYU to come back after dominating the entire first half. On paper, we should’ve beaten BYU by 30. You think Nick Saban wouldn’t be livid with those stats and effort? Winners care about the details. ND has a second half problem. Period.

Last edited:
And, what does that have to do with the game last night? Every week is different, so don't go quoting transitive ideas.

You act as though BYU is St. Mary's School for the Blind.
The plays were there for that game to be a blowout. We won. Good win. But we still need to put 4 quarters together offensively and defensively.

Byu is not some juggernaut. We should have blown them out. Keep improving and that will hopefully start leading to blowouts

And the answer was Oregon beat them by 21

Reactions: IrishBeer
The plays were there for that game to be a blowout. We won. Good win. But we still need to put 4 quarters together offensively and defensively.

Byu is not some juggernaut. We should have blown them out. Keep improving and that will hopefully start leading to blowouts

And there's your transitive thought.

X beat Y by _____, so B should be Y by _____ since H beat J by ______ and B beat H by _____.

No. Don’t need to put together 4 quarters. We played perfectly and if you don’t think they’re absolutely perfect you’re not 100% ND fan.

Nobody expects a blowout every week. Just shouldn’t do the following in the past 6 games: give up the biggest lead in program history in half two of the bowl game, give up the lead to Ohio State in half two, give up the lead vs Marshall, beat Cal by stopping a Hail Marry at the end of the game, and allow BYU to come back after dominating the entire first half. On paper, we should’ve beaten BYU by 30. You think Nick Saban wouldn’t be livid with those stats and effort? Winners care about the details. ND has a second half problem. Period.
Just to clarify, ND didn't give up the biggest lead in its history against Oklahoma State last year. We were up 21-0 and 28-7 in the first half. In 1974, Notre Dame led USC 24-0 before losing 55-24, and in 1991, Notre Dame had a 31-7 lead against Tennessee late in the first half when Tennessee blocked a field goal attempt and returned it for a TD, setting the stage for a 35-34 win. That's two examples of larger first half leads, and there may be others I can't recall.

Another good part of yesterday's game was that there were so few penalties. I only remember the one holding call on us, and I think BYU had that delay of game on the PAT and that was it.

Which is what you did by cherry picking the loss to Oregon.
No I stated above the reasoning why we could have won by more during our game

Then I showed another team blew out byu so it is possible. They are no juggernaut

What I did was show 2 pieces of fact to the equation

Then I showed another team blew out byu so it is possible. They are no juggernaut

Which is a transitive way of thinking.

Do you understand the definition, or do I need to provide it to you? If you're not an educated person, that's okay. I can simplify it for you.

The other team has players on scholarship as well.

I consider this a good win. 2 solid teams that seemed to mirror each other. Bottom line for me is that ND withstood BYU...kinda reminded me of the OSU bowl game last season, where ND allowed a comeback win.

This is progress. ND continues to develop an identity around a power running game, a great TE, and what looks like a receiving corps that offers some potential. 3 straight wins.

Maybe it took Freeman this much time to adjust. To instill discipline and composure. Sure looks like it.

I enjoyed the game. Don't get me wrong, as I don't think the Irish are elite, nothing dramatic. But I have a much better feeling...a feeling the Freeman can grow and succeed, evolving in a modern day football program CEO, while exploiting his charisma and former player intuition.

What a contrast between how I felt after his 1st 3 games. Fingers crossed. It's a long season with some good opponents on the schedule. But at least ND is playing like a tough, disciplined team, with some talent...I'm thinking top 15 is realistic, but would love to be pleasantly surprised with better than this.

Which is a transitive way of thinking.

Do you understand the definition, or do I need to provide it to you? If you're not an educated person, that's okay. I can simplify it for you.
No. When I say there were plays out there to ve made where we should have blown out BYU has nothing to do with transitive way of thinking

Showing that another team blew out byu provides proof that they can be blown out and it is possible. The game doesnt have to be close. There is no rule stating that

Learn something

Absolutely. So does every fbs team

Should they all be close?

How about against stanford, navy and Unlv ? Do we have to play them close because they are on scholarship ?

No. When I say there were plays out there to ve made where we should have blown out BYU has nothing to do with transitive way of thinking

Showing that another team blew out byu provides proof that they can be blown out and it is possible. The game doesnt have to be close. There is no rule stating that

Learn something
In other words, you clearly don't understand what "transitive" means.

Learn something.

I too am happy with win and agree with most of your post. Besides getting gashed with big plays I would add confusion on defense & the big one NOT finishing drives. Had we finished a couple more drives we would have put the game away much earlier. We had BYU on the ropes early and couldn't close the door. Regardless I'm happy winning so far from South Bend.

It’s 90% a coaching issue not motivational. We made adjustments second half on D… they were to bring Lewis and Mickey in, these adjustments caused us two tds

It’s 90% a coaching issue not motivational. We made adjustments second half on D… they were to bring Lewis and Mickey in, these adjustments caused us two tds
It’s been a consistent problem for 6 games in a row. The offense also does very little in the second half.

I understand that ND is not going to win every game 56-0. But what is bothersome to me is the taking plays off and mental errors. Not finishing the play or the drive. ND has yet to play a complete game. I checked the 247 team composite talent ranking. BYU is ranked #108. They had no business being on the same field as ND (who is ranked #10 in talent).
BYU ranked 16

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT