ADVERTISEMENT

Fisher Declares for Draft

Pendleton is a guard

Wagner got up to 288 for fall camp after 1 year in the program. He came in at 258 lbs . So he put on 30 pounds in a season.

Between 295 and 300 with his athleticism and natural strength will be okay

He should be able to get there by fall
Right and he didn't play. 288 at the start of the season means as a ft starter he'd be near 265 by November, especially if he's having trouble holding weight. He's already shown he gets blown back on pass pro. There is no way to ignore the weight as a concern

Pendleton is a guard

Wagner got up to 288 for fall camp after 1 year in the program. He came in at 258 lbs . So he put on 30 pounds in a season.

Between 295 and 300 with his athleticism and natural strength will be okay

He should be able to get there by fall
I know Pendleton is guard. I'm in raleigh, NC and saw him play multiple times. He's going to be a factor at rg this spring.

I get the confusion on earlier post, my point is I won't be shocked to see Rudolph make more wholesale changes this year, and I can see Pendleton at rg next year.

Right and he didn't play. 288 at the start of the season means as a ft starter he'd be near 265 by November, especially if he's having trouble holding weight. He's already shown he gets blown back on pass pro. There is no way to ignore the weight as a concern
It's a concern but not as big as you think it is

He's also not losing 23 pounds in 4 months with the way nutrition and strength and conditioning is nowadays. Maybe like 15 years ago or more

He may get to 300 prior to the year and drop to 290 during the season

Id be surprised if he didn't win a starting job if we don't bring in a transfer

I know Pendleton is guard. I'm in raleigh, NC and saw him play multiple times. He's going to be a factor at rg this spring.

I get the confusion on earlier post, my point is I won't be shocked to see Rudolph make more wholesale changes this year, and I can see Pendleton at rg next year.
Billy will be the right guard next year. He may battle Rocco, Coogan and a few others at the other spot

It is a concern for sure. I still think he gets close to 300 and wins the RT starter position. I think LT will be a competition between a transfer, Baker and Jugasah. My bet is on Jugasah Unless the transfer is really good; and really good LTs are not exactly transfer candidates. Craig has locked down center, and I don’t see anyone keeping Billy off the field. Rocco and Coogan and Pendleton and a handful of others will fight for the other guard spot. If by chance Baker or a transfer wins the LT, then I think Jugasah wins the guard spot. If Wagner can’t get and hold an acceptable weight to handle pass pro at RT, then several of my projections get shot to hell. Interesting Spring ahead.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Man, we’ve got some battles that are gonna unfold on the OL. There’s 9 or 10 guy who could start.

As Ryan Harris has said on the radio several times: You earn a starting spot on ND’s OL……then you’re playing on Sundays.

These are coveted roles, and the OL will have to be elite to win Game 1 in College Station. It’s going to be wild seeing who ends up in that top 5. We may not know until late August.

In the meantime, I’m hopeful that we have many spirited debates right here.

Last edited:
Reactions: mirer03 and Telx1
Billy will be the right guard next year. He may battle Rocco, Coogan and a few others at the other spot
I disagree with this.

I expect there to be massive changes this spring. Coogan and Rocco will not be handed starting spots. You are making broad assumptions, based on Rudolph coming in right before spring last year. He's had a year, and a bunch of guys are yet to transfer on the ol.

Man, we’ve got some battles that are gonna unfold on the OL. There’s 9 or 10 guy who could start.

As Ryan Harris has said on the radio several times: You earn a starting spot on ND’s OL……then you’re playing on Sundays.

These are covered roles, and the OL will have to be elite to win Game 1 in College Station. It’s going to be wild seeing who ends up in that top 5. We may not know until late August.

Exactly right. And guys are going to leave if playing time is cut off by under classmen.

It is a concern for sure. I still think he gets close to 300 and wins the RT starter position. I think LT will be a competition between a transfer, Baker and Jugasah. My bet is on Jugasah Unless the transfer is really good; and really good LTs are not exactly transfer candidates. Craig has locked down center, and I don’t see anyone keeping Billy off the field. Rocco and Coogan and Pendleton and a handful of others will fight for the other guard spot. If by chance Baker or a transfer wins the LT, then I think Jugasah wins the guard spot. If Wagner can’t get and hold an acceptable weight to handle pass pro at RT, then several of my projections get shot to hell. Interesting Spring ahead.
If he gets to 300 it's a no brainer. That is not a given. Some guys have a ton of trouble moving from 280-310. It's been alluded too that he's having some trouble with gaining and holding weight. For some guys it just doesn't come easy.

And Golson it's very very common for guys new to higher weights to burn off more weight during the season. This guy is a basketball player, his metabolism is running hot. The amount of calories he's going to have to maintain to stay at 300 and keep his athleticism is a lot harder to consume than you think. Just throwing on calories and weight can hinder his movement. He might be best suited to rotate as a starter for a year with jagusah or someone else until he levels out. At his height he has to have some weight or he will get blown up in pass protection. He's already rock solid pushing forward and using his length, but when he steps back he goes upright and is screwed.

If he gets to 300 it's a no brainer. That is not a given. Some guys have a ton of trouble moving from 280-310. It's been alluded too that he's having some trouble with gaining and holding weight. For some guys it just doesn't come easy.

And Golson it's very very common for guys new to higher weights to burn off more weight during the season. This guy is a basketball player, his metabolism is running hot. The amount of calories he's going to have to maintain to stay at 300 and keep his athleticism is a lot harder to consume than you think. Just throwing on calories and weight can hinder his movement. He might be best suited to rotate as a starter for a year with jagusah or someone else until he levels out. At his height he has to have some weight or he will get blown up in pass protection. He's already rock solid pushing forward and using his length, but when he steps back he goes upright and is screwed.
Telx- did you play on the OL?

I disagree with this.

I expect there to be massive changes this spring. Coogan and Rocco will not be handed starting spots. You are making broad assumptions, based on Rudolph coming in right before spring last year. He's had a year, and a bunch of guys are yet to transfer on the ol.
I dont think you read what I wrote properly at all.

I have Craig and Schrauth starting

And I said Coogan Rocco and others will battle for the other guard spot

How did you get that I said those 2 would be handed guard spots out of that?

Very bad interpreting on your part

There's no way hes losing 23 pounds in a major college program in 4 months

I dont think you read what I wrote properly at all.

I have Craig and Schrauth starting

And I said Coogan Rocco and others will battle for the other guard spot

How did you get that I said those 2 would be handed guard spots out of that?

Very bad interpreting on your part
No youre handing a starting spot to schrauth. I'm just saying I think everything is going to be open this spring. The only sure thing to me is Craig. Shit depending on how rt shakes out you could have jagusah starting at rg and schrauth, Rocco, coogan, and all others battling for a single spot.

Springis gonna be a mad house for ol.

There's no way hes losing 23 pounds in a major college program in 4 months
Youre talking about a kid that plays a very active style of ball having to take in over 5000-6500 calories a day while balancing his Notre Dame workload, practice, and then starting reps...all the while fighting your metabolism. The guys that came in at that size or near it are used to it, it's easier to maintain for them even though they are still eatting 5000 cals a day. Having to build up to that...then maintain it when your body is fighting you is exhausting. There are a few blogs online about guys trying to get there and it's pretty nuts, many give up.

It's great they have a nutrition team helping them eat the right things but the kid still has to commit to eating almost nonstop.

And yes they do lose weight during the season all football players do. The bigger you are the more you lose, and it's usually lean muscle that is lost and then replaced by caloric intake.

That's why he will be getting up to roughly 300. I like how you latched onto "288" and completely ignored the part of the comment mentioning him getting up to 300.

Youre talking about a kid that plays a very active style of ball having to take in over 5000-6500 calories a day while balancing his Notre Dame workload, practice, and then starting reps...all the while fighting your metabolism. The guys that came in at that size or near it are used to it, it's easier to maintain for them even though they are still eatting 5000 cals a day. Having to build up to that...then maintain it when your body is fighting you is exhausting. There are a few blogs online about guys trying to get there and it's pretty nuts, many give up.

It's great they have a nutrition team helping them eat the right things but the kid still has to commit to eating almost nonstop.

And yes they do lose weight during the season all football players do. The bigger you are the more you lose, and it's usually lean muscle that is lost and then replaced by caloric intake.
All players lose weight. He's not going to lose 23 pounds in 4 months

That's why he will be getting up to roughly 300. I like how you latched onto "288" and completely ignored the part of the comment mentioning him getting up to 300.
Because he has yet to show he can get to 300. I don't think you guys realize how hard it is to put on good weight while in college, and keep it on.

Because he has yet to show he can get to 300. I don't think you guys realize how hard it is to put on good weight while in college, and keep it on.
He put on 30 pounds in 1 year. Came in at 258. Was 288 at fall camp. He should be able to get to 295 to 300 by next fall

Would you guys be comfortable with Wagner and Jagusah as our starting Tackles?
Too early to answer that question! We don’t know whether Wagner is adding good weight; and we have nearly zero info as to how Jagusah is developing his freshman year. The Skill set of each coming out of high school was impressive and I expect these to be our starting tackles, but not sure if this or next year. If one or both don’t grab a starting tackle spot this year, then guys like Lambert are going to be challenging competition.

Reactions: mirer03
Because he just got to the college level, and he was never that big. He will get to 300.

Weight is definitely a concern, but he didn't/shouldn't have lost close to this since he was hardly playing. Olinemen lose most weight during fall camp then on actual game days, in season practice isn't that grueling. If anything, Wagner should have gained weight during the fall as that should have been a focus.

Definitely could se pendleton getting into the conversation in the spring with Rocco's injury and Coogan's average at best play.

These are coveted roles, and the OL will have to be elite to win Game 1 in College Station. It’s going to be wild seeing who ends up in that top 5. We may not know until late August.

If there's 9 or 10 guys that can start that means that the oline isn't good enough. What I mean by that is we don't have 9 or 10 caliber starters on a top oline. Rocco IMO played slightly better than Coogan, but still not good enough to lock down a spot even if he was healthy this spring. IF baker wins a spot, that alarming. He's not a top oline LT.

Wagner - If he gains weight and strength has the talent
Billy - If he cleans up mental mistakes has the talent
Craig - Potential Stud
Jagusah - Has the talent if he develops

Coogan - Not talented enough
Roco - has the strength but lacks mobility
Absher/Pendleton - Not sure

Reactions: Telx1

He wasn't playing this fall, so he had limited reps in practice and games. He wasn't burning a ton of calories on the field in practice or games especially during Sep - Nov months.

If they have competition and win the spots yes. You'll have some growing pains with both but they'll also do things very few tackles can do.
Sounds like you’re pretty bullish on both of those guys developing into big time Tackles.

Would love to both guys capture the job(s), be great for 2, maybe 3 seasons, then plug in Lambert, and perhaps Prescod.

I’m really anxious to see if Jagusah emerges. I don’t know OL play like others on this board, but Jagusah just seems like he has “it”. State champion wrestler, had offers from every football powerhouse, elite size, elite strength, elite athlete. I think that if we get him on the field, at G or RT…..he’s going to play well and be someone we can count on for the next 36-40 games.

I think we could plug him in at RT this August, and be just fine.

Sounds like you’re pretty bullish on both of those guys developing into big time Tackles.

Would love to both guys capture the job(s), be great for 2, maybe 3 seasons, then plug in Lambert, and perhaps Prescod.

I’m really anxious to see if Jagusah emerges. I don’t know OL play like others on this board, but Jagusah just seems like he has “it”. State champion wrestler, had offers from every football powerhouse, elite size, elite strength, elite athlete. I think that if we get him on the field, at G or RT…..he’s going to play well and be someone we can count on for the next 36-40 games.

I think we could plug him in at RT this August, and be just fine.
im hopeful for a line like 2018 next year, young nfl talent that’s just getting started

Jagusah billy Craig Wagner are very talented … I expect those 4 to become players, if Wagner gains strength and weight… I don’t know who the fifth should be

im hopeful for a line like 2018 next year, young nfl talent that’s just getting started

Jagusah billy Craig Wagner are very talented … I expect those 4 to become players, if Wagner gains strength and weight… I don’t know who the fifth should be
Wagner, from what I heard about him during the recruiting process, is plenty strong, but he does need to put on weight to play on the line. Coming out of high school, I remember hearing that he was much stronger than his size would indicate. Hopefully, he can maintain the light feet and quickness with the added weight.

Reactions: IrishMike409

Feels like Rocco would naturally fit in with that group.

But the Pendleton talk is exciting. Sounds like he’s someone who is going to earn their way into the mix.

Reactions: NDOnTheRoad
Wagner, from what I heard about him during the recruiting process, is plenty strong, but he does need to put on weight to play on the line. Coming out of high school, I remember hearing that he was much stronger than his size would indicate. Hopefully, he can maintain the light feet and quickness with the added weight.
Carmody was very similar to him, and carmody could get his weight up but never maintain it. He was/is really talented, but at this level you have to be around 300 to handle bull rushes from the ends. Much like Wagner....

Carmody was very similar to him, and carmody could get his weight up but never maintain it. He was/is really talented, but at this level you have to be around 300 to handle bull rushes from the ends. Much like Wagner....
Wagner is much more talented. Had much better natural strength coming in from high school. Carmody has also dealt with injuries while he's been at Notre Dame

Apples and oranges

Wagner has the opportunity to be NDs next NFL Tackle. That puts him on the pathway to having a 9-figure net worth when he retires somewhere around the age of 35.

Hope that he’s seizing the moment and taking full advantage of the opportunity.

Wagner was on a completely different level, when it comes to those in the know describing the upside. Yes, Carmody was considered very athletic coming out of high school, but he had a lower floor and a lower ceiling than Wagner. One thing that makes Aamil Wagner such a special player is how strong he is, despite not having the size. There is never a sure bet for anything, but I would be surprised if Wagner doesn't become a really good O-Lineman for Notre Dame.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT