ADVERTISEMENT

Fisher Declares for Draft

If he's a projected mid-round pick, then it might've benefited him to come back again (and finish his degree while he's at it). But good luck to him.

But hopefully we have some good players waiting in the wings to play OT next year. Baker should be one of them. Not sure who would start at the other tackle, though.

He's not getting in at G, not over the combination of Coogan and Spindler/Schrauth. As far as T, I have been hearing that he looks more likely to fit at G than T.
Surprises me that he couldn’t over take Coogan or Rocco or Schrauth.

If he's a projected mid-round pick, then it might've benefited him to come back again (and finish his degree while he's at it). But good luck to him.

But hopefully we have some good players waiting in the wings to play OT next year. Baker should be one of them. Not sure who would start at the other tackle, though.
Baker will be the clear starter or probably transfer. That would leave Aamil Wagner, Chris Terek, Ty Chan, and Sullivan Absher for the 2 Tackle spots.

2 new Tackles next season….

Baker?
Wagner?
Jagusah?
Lambert?

Who am I missing?
IrishMike, I personally think the only position locked up going into Spring should be Craig at center. I thought both Rocco and Coogan were slow of foot, even for guards. Thought Rocco was decidedly better than Coogan overall, but we don’t know whether his knee injury will impact on his play next season, etc... Billy looked good when Rocco went down, and I think he’ll claim one of the guard spots, making it a Rocco vs Coogan competition, and I think Rocco wins this assuming full recovery from knee surgery and continued improvement. I’m hoping Knapp overwhelms as a true freshman and makes this a three way competition and difficult decision for Rudolph.

The only guy we’ve seen play tackle in more than mop up duty is Baker, and he was terrible two seasons ago when Alt became the eventual starter. His size is enormous, and he’s looked better than I expected in mop up duty the last two games. He’ll compete For a starter position this next season If he doesn’t enter the TP. Wagner may never get to 300 plus pounds, but I think his natural strength and athleticism and playing As a powerful 290 tackle is an attractive possibility. Gains in both strength (power) and weight is critical for him, and proving he can maintain both while playing is the path to him starting. I-think he does both And wins the RT spot.

I want Jugasah to outright win the other tackle spot, but I think he will need to beat out both Baker and an experienced tackle we bring in; not a sure thing. But like I said above, I think Center with Craig should be the only locked up position going into Spring. I do think Rudolph has shown he values performance over experience, which fosters competition.

Should be a fun Spring to read about these.

Baker will be the clear starter or probably transfer. That would leave Aamil Wagner, Chris Terek, Ty Chan, and Sullivan Absher for the 2 Tackle spots.
Terek isn't a tackle. Jagusah could be in the mix there as well.

Lambert will be in the mix in the summer. Also a transfer might get a shot

Reactions: NDOnTheRoad
IrishMike, I personally think the only position locked up going into Spring should be Craig at center. I thought both Rocco and Coogan were slow of foot, even for guards. Thought Rocco was decidedly better than Coogan overall, but we don’t know whether his knee injury will impact on his play next season, etc... Billy looked good when Rocco went down, and I think he’ll claim one of the guard spots, making it a Rocco vs Coogan competition, and I think Rocco wins this assuming full recovery from knee surgery and continued improvement. I’m hoping Knapp overwhelms as a true freshman and makes this a three way competition and difficult decision for Rudolph.

The only guy we’ve seen play tackle in more than mop up duty is Baker, and he was terrible two seasons ago when Alt became the eventual starter. His size is enormous, and he’s looked better than I expected in mop up duty the last two games. He’ll compete For a starter position this next season If he doesn’t enter the TP. Wagner may never get to 300 plus pounds, but I think his natural strength and athleticism and playing As a powerful 290 tackle is an attractive possibility. Gains in both strength (power) and weight is critical for him, and proving he can maintain both while playing is the path to him starting. I-think he does both And wins the RT spot.

I want Jugasah to outright win the other tackle spot, but I think he will need to beat out both Baker and an experienced tackle we bring in; not a sure thing. But like I said above, I think Center with Craig should be the only locked up position going into Spring. I do think Rudolph has shown he values performance over experience, which fosters competition.

Don't see Knapp being close to ready. Needs to add a ton of weight

If you're looking for a darkhorse, it would be Pendleton

Reactions: mirer03
Either does entering the draft. Not a damn thing.

And the pension does not set him up for life.

He made a bad move
The pension comes into effect between year 3-5, but you cannot tap into it until you are 55 years old. UDFA make less than a million a year.

Baker was only a redshirt freshman when he started a few games in 2021 and didn't play very well. But next year, as a 5th-year senior, hopefully he'd be more ready for the job at that point.

Don't see Knapp being close to ready. Needs to add a ton of weight

If you're looking for a darkhorse, it would be Pendleton
You may be right. Can’t have any confidence in Knapp’s reported weight. I’ve seen 265-270 his junior year, but nothing about his senior year weight. Remember an article in the summer quoting his strength coach about his gains in weight and strength, adding 40 lbs. Arriving at 270 vs 310 will determine whether he competes at guard this next season or not. Pendleton is already north of 310.
You mentioned Lambert competing for tackle this summer, and I agree. He seems like a naturally bigger version of Wagner, but also looks to need to add good weight and strength. I saw him listed somewhere at 300, and he sure as hell didn’t look like it. Hope Freeman hires a really highly regarded Strength and Conditioning coach soon, as that person will help immeasurably on getting these younger players adding good weight and strength without sacrficing athleticism and speed.

Reactions: notredame79
Baker was only a redshirt freshman when he started a few games in 2021 and didn't play very well. But next year, as a 5th-year senior, hopefully he'd be more ready for the job at that point.
That's what I hope.

Reactions: mbd11
The pension comes into effect between year 3-5, but you cannot tap into it until you are 55 years old. UDFA make less than a million a year.
You have to qualify for a season credit. You need credit for 3 seasons to be vested. It takes some guys 5 or 6 years to get vested based on their roster situations.

We are way over stocked right now so it's likely we will lose multiple ol to transfer portal as Rudolph makes choices on his guys.

Baker is most experienced big body, I just don't trust him as tackle. He will get a tryout at the bowl game and that likely plays a big part on if he's on the roster next fall or we see a youth movement.

I'd expect the likely plan will be keeping the interior as experienced as possible with two new starters at lt .. which to me means coogan, Rocco, schrauth... And yes Pendleton (just based on practice reports that he's a pur mauling guard with great size and hands) along with Craig at the interior.

Someone else will also start a transition to center as well.

Tackles... I mean there are a bunch of guys and it's gonna be a battle. Baker (I still think he transfers), absher, jagusah, and Wagner (but he's got to get to 290 this summer. If he starts our at 270 that could leave ND with a 255 lbs rt by December. ). Are gonna try hard to be named a starter. If two young guys lock it down for a couple years that's the best thing for the line developing cohesion IMHO.

There might be growing pains but a line of absher, schrauth, Craig, Pendleton, and jagusah looks a lot like what Wisconsin used to have, and I'd be all for it. When the smallest guy is a rock solid 307 lbs center, that's some beef.

We are way over stocked right now so it's likely we will lose multiple ol to transfer portal as Rudolph makes choices on his guys.

Baker is most experienced big body, I just don't trust him as tackle. He will get a tryout at the bowl game and that likely plays a big part on if he's on the roster next fall or we see a youth movement.

I'd expect the likely plan will be keeping the interior as experienced as possible with two new starters at lt .. which to me means coogan, Rocco, schrauth... And yes Pendleton (just based on practice reports that he's a pur mauling guard with great size and hands) along with Craig at the interior.

Someone else will also start a transition to center as well.

Tackles... I mean there are a bunch of guys and it's gonna be a battle. Baker (I still think he transfers), absher, jagusah, and Wagner (but he's got to get to 290 this summer. If he starts our at 270 that could leave ND with a 255 lbs rt by December. ). Are gonna try hard to be named a starter. If two young guys lock it down for a couple years that's the best thing for the line developing cohesion IMHO.

There might be growing pains but a line of absher, schrauth, Craig, Pendleton, and jagusah looks a lot like what Wisconsin used to have, and I'd be all for it. When the smallest guy is a rock solid 307 lbs center, that's some beef.
Very unlikely Wagner doesn't win a tackle spot, unless we get a transfer in

Nah it was a bad one. His film was bad this year. He's going to be a later round pick

He should have came back, would be getting NIL money, improve his game and he has the talent to be top 2 round guy.

He cost himself a lot of money. Plus he needs to work on his body and his game to make him Last in the league longer

Bad move
He will be lucky to get a good contract. And even luckier to get a second one. NFL is notorious for dropping OL guys after 4 years. The dude doesn’t have IT. I’m not that upset he’s home. More for what I see as a bad decision. But it’s his bad decision.

That is outstanding stuff Telx. I hope you are well and hope you and family are having a great Christmas season, my friend.

I’m with you- hoping that Jagusah can earn a starting role. He looks like a future star.

I’d love to see Craig and Schrauth really emerge and become stars in the interior, and if Rocco can take a step forward, then we’ll have 3 talented guys inside.

You think that Knapp has big time talent and could be in the mix to push for time as a true freshman?

That is outstanding stuff Telx. I hope you are well and hope you and family are having a great Christmas season, my friend.

I’m with you- hoping that Jagusah can earn a starting role. He looks like a future star.

I’d love to see Craig and Schrauth really emerge and become stars in the interior, and if Rocco can take a step forward, then we’ll have 3 talented guys inside.

You think that Knapp has big time talent and could be in the mix to push for time as a true freshman?
Christmas season is off to a great start for me and family, and hope the same for you and yours IrishMike. Like most, if not all of us, my opinion of Knapp is based entirely on some film and a few articles. I love the way he plays, very aggressive and really powerful at the point of contact. Golson is right to question whether he is big enough as his reported weight is usually in the 265-270 range, but I’ve also read where he has gained considerable weight and strength his senior year. We’ll know soon enough, and if he is above or around 300, I do think he will be in the mix for guard. I think he has a really high ceiling, as does Lambert, but A year learning the system and gaining strength and weight is the most likely path to playing meaningful minutes.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Very unlikely Wagner doesn't win a tackle spot, unless we get a transfer in
He's got to get heavier. I agree he has the inside track but you can't be a ft starter at rt at 270, and he's gonna lose weight as the season goes on. The fact that he's still under 290 after a year in the weight program is concerning long term

We also need to see what Rudolph values... Historically hes more big bruising than smaller athletic. This is really his first full season as he got in late last year.

In an interview last spring here was his criteria...

1) Accountability

2) Win at the point of attack

3) Make others better

This is where the Pendleton hype started because he flat wins the point of attack. He's got to work on the other two parts. This is also where Wagner has to show he can make others better and hold up as a lean tackle.

I know there is speculation of a possible transfer in at ol, but we have so many more ol that a bunch of guys will have to leave or will leave if they get pushed down the ladder more.

He's got to get heavier. I agree he has the inside track but you can't be a ft starter at rt at 270, and he's gonna lose weight as the season goes on. The fact that he's still under 290 after a year in the weight program is concerning long term

We also need to see what Rudolph values... Historically hes more big bruising than smaller athletic. This is really his first full season as he got in late last year.

In an interview last spring here was his criteria...

1) Accountability

2) Win at the point of attack

3) Make others better

This is where the Pendleton hype started because he flat wins the point of attack. He's got to work on the other two parts. This is also where Wagner has to show he can make others better and hold up as a lean tackle.

I know there is speculation of a possible transfer in at ol, but we have so many more ol that a bunch of guys will have to leave or will leave if they get pushed down the ladder more.
Pendleton is a guard

Wagner got up to 288 for fall camp after 1 year in the program. He came in at 258 lbs . So he put on 30 pounds in a season.

Between 295 and 300 with his athleticism and natural strength will be okay

He should be able to get there by fall

The Pendleton hype is intriguing. We’re loaded with several Guards who can start and be impact guys.

We may have Schrauth, Pendleton, and Jagusah playing as back- ups. I gotta believe those guys are starting for most Power-5 teams.

If I’m not mistaken, Schrauth was a T in HS. Any chance he plays RT here?

The Pendleton hype is intriguing. We’re loaded with several Guards who can start and be impact guys.

We may have Schrauth, Pendleton, and Jagusah playing as back- ups. I gotta believe those guys are starting for most Power-5 teams.

If I’m not mistaken, Schrauth was a T in HS. Any chance he plays RT here?
Jagusah is the one you find a spot and get him on the field if he’s what everyone thinks he will be

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT