ADVERTISEMENT

Does ND even recruit 5 star football players anymore?

Karlaftis is going to be pursued by some top programs. Potential aside he performed much more impressively than NNOM. In fact he impressed more than any ND targeted attendee with possible exception of everyone’s darling, Hamilton.
Re Hamilton, he may make the biggest composite rating jump ever at mid year.

TOS said Katlaftis did well opening day and after that was overwhelmed by the better talent. So maybe after that he did better but that was the report I heard.

Cmon man... even if you do think he's a 3* player ranked 450-500 range in the country, he still is in our backyard & at a position of dire need. We've taken way worse options at D end over the past cycles.

He's better than Kiser & Moala who I both understand taking (especially Moala). Taking a guy like Kiser at a position where we've been recruiting like crazy, now to the point where Heinrich may not even be a take according to Tim Prister who I respect a ton.

At the end of the day, he's a kid in our backyard at a position of need. Am I missing something?

Still a long time to signing day. It depends on who else they are pursuing. That said what I hear he is more of a project and they may be holding out for something better. you want better i assume

The playoff spot battle will be between the Pac12, the Big12 and ND. Only 1 spot. Not being in a conference in this situation is an advantage.

But if ND losses to any of Michigan, Stanford or USC, or FSU, and that team does not make the playoffs, then even as a 1 loss team ND is out.

1 loss Irish are in

NaNa made the final 5 of the OL/DL 1on1s on Monday and only took 4 reps the last day and struggled. His path to the final 5 was vs 3 of the top 5 OL. Just an FYI

Reactions: chaseball
I remember a similar situation back during Sheldon Day's class.

ND was pretty loaded on the DL with star veterans still on the roster and newcomers like Tuitt, Lynch, and Ishaq Williams incoming.

ND passed on a much higher rated recruit (Tommy Schutt who was a consensus top 100) to the dismay of a lot of fans ... and instead took a lesser rated recruit early in Sheldon Day. There wasn't room for more than one of these DTs (it was a rare time for ND where their DL/DE positions were loaded).

Anyway, we all know how that turned out: Sheldon Day went on to become one of the best players on NDs defense for a couple of years, and an NFL draft pick. Schutt never played outside of junk minutes his senior year at OSU.

All this to say that the recruiting ratings aren't bulletproof by any means .. especially in individual examples like this (they are more accurate in aggregate).

So if our coaching staff is fading Karlaftis (despite what his rating is) they probably have some good evidence/data with which to make that decision and are focusing elsewhere.

My issue/problem with NDs recruiting is not so much when the coaching staff fades a high rated player ... but rather, situations where ND isnt even being considered by elite nationally ranked recruits .. and that seems to be an issue under a BK lead program over the last half decade or so

Last edited:
Reactions: zonairish
None of those schools are currently recruiting him. Sorry.
And as far as kids lying, employees of the different team sites can verify offers with the teams, so they know which ones are real or not, & even after one is given if the team is still willing to accept a commitment from that recruit.
You can learn about how it actually unfolds or you can live in your bubble & convince yourself you are right all the time.

Most of them aren’t recruiting him because it’s a waste of their time. They know he’s going to Purdue. Michigan has been all over him since the day he committed. They offered his freshman brother to try to lure him to switch and even offered his girlfriend a track scholarship. To say Michigan isn’t recruiting him is laughable.

Reactions: NDIRISH53
Most of them aren’t recruiting him because it’s a waste of their time. They know he’s going to Purdue. Michigan has been all over him since the day he committed. They offered his freshman brother to try to lure him to switch and even offered his girlfriend a track scholarship. To say Michigan isn’t recruiting him is laughable.
Agreed. It makes no sense ND isn't getting in on him. Even if you don't think he's that good tight now we take project D ends every year & he's in our back yard. Just weird

Not to burst your bubble, but he still contacts other teams’ staffs.
He is telling multiple programs his recruitment is open.

Agreed. It makes no sense ND isn't getting in on him. Even if you don't think he's that good tight now we take project D ends every year & he's in our back yard. Just weird

The two starting DE’s were committed to USC & Alabama this time in their recruitment. (D Hayes & K Kareem).
But don’t let facts get in the way.

Reactions: Pennick4
Not to burst your bubble, but he still contacts other teams’ staffs.
He is telling multiple programs his recruitment is open.

As long as Brohm is at Purdue next year, George will be in West Lafayette. His recruitment is far from open. Not sure where you’re getting your info. Care to comment on your claim that Michigan isn’t recruiting him?

The two starting DE’s were committed to USC & Alabama this time in their recruitment. (D Hayes & K Kareem).
But don’t let facts get in the way.
17 & 18 classes were not acceptable in terms of recruiting d ends. I have always said 16 is Kelly's 2nd best class (18 may replace it) due to how well he recruited key positions OL DE & DB. He has had 2 legit good recruiting classes at D end.

As long as Brohm is at Purdue next year, George will be in West Lafayette. His recruitment is far from open. Not sure where you’re getting your info. Care to comment on your claim that Michigan isn’t recruiting him?
Jeff Brohm is the man. He seems to eat sleep and breathe football. Hate to say it but I think he's gone after this year as long as you guys win 7 games, maybe even 6. USC or LSU is my prediction. Maybe ND if Kelly doesn't get the job done.

It’s open. It’s not a secret. You should subscribe to your own site.
He is pissed all the big programs passed on him.
Either way it doesn’t matter because there is a reason big programs aren’t interested.
And Brohm is gone next year.

Jeff Brohm is the man. He seems to eat sleep and breathe football. Hate to say it but I think he's gone after this year as long as you guys win 7 games, maybe even 6. USC or LSU is my prediction. Maybe ND if Kelly doesn't get the job done.

What?
USC just gave their coach an extension.
Kelly is at ND until 2021.
Brohm is going to Louisville.

It’s open. It’s not a secret. You should subscribe to your own site.
He is pissed all the big programs passed on him.
Either way it doesn’t matter because there is a reason big programs aren’t interested.
And Brohm is gone next year.

So Michigan isn’t a big program?

Would love to hear why big programs aren’t interested.

I hope he stays for several years but could def see him leaving with another bowl win. He seems like someone who’d stick around the Midwest though IMO.

So Michigan isn’t a big program?

I do subscribe to the Purdue premium site.

Then you should know the inside info. His recruitment is very open. He doesn’t want to go to Purdue or still live in West Lafayette.

What?
USC just gave their coach an extension.
Kelly is at ND until 2021.
Brohm is going to Louisville.
Right... because coaches never get fired before their contracts are up. Helton is an amature coach. Kelly is an above average to good coach. If either team wins anything less than 8 games the coaches could be fired in a heartbeat.

Right... because coaches never get fired before their contracts are up. Helton is an amature coach. Kelly is an above average to good coach. If either team wins anything less than 8 games the coaches could be fired in a heartbeat.
That's a highly unlikely scenario.

Reactions: Pennick4
ADVERTISEMENT