ADVERTISEMENT

Does ND even recruit 5 star football players anymore?

I remember a 5 star QB throwing the ball to his 5 star WR with a 5 star RB in the backfield and an OL with 5 stars blocking for him when Bama won the championship.
i believe they currently have 6 three stars on their two deep. personally i'm not a star gazer so i don't care. i agree that alabama is loaded with talent but they don't have the top 22 players in college football on their two deep. for the record the QB who threw the game winner was a lowly 4 star.

You are not going to consistently be at or near the top with all 5 star players it just won't work with chemistry, work ethic, etc. You also won't be at the top consistently with all 3 star players because of talent. ND is starting to put talented classes back to back to back. They are missing a few elite players. A dlinemen, a RB, Safety. If we had 3-5 5 start elite talented players at the right positions, I think ND could compete with anyone in the nation consistently.

Safety play has been just awful, and we have no clue how it will work out this year. RB recruiting and big game play has been awful. Dline has gotten better but still isn't dynamic. My biggest fault of Kelly, he's done an awful job with the QB position most years while at ND and we've recruited some pretty good talent.

You are not going to consistently be at or near the top with all 5 star players it just won't work with chemistry, work ethic, etc. You also won't be at the top consistently with all 3 star players because of talent. ND is starting to put talented classes back to back to back. They are missing a few elite players. A dlinemen, a RB, Safety. If we had 3-5 5 start elite talented players at the right positions, I think ND could compete with anyone in the nation consistently.

Safety play has been just awful, and we have no clue how it will work out this year. RB recruiting and big game play has been awful. Dline has gotten better but still isn't dynamic. My biggest fault of Kelly, he's done an awful job with the QB position most years while at ND and we've recruited some pretty good talent.
Top d linemen has always been the toughest recruits to land for nd.

Reactions: Pennick4
i believe they currently have 6 three stars on their two deep. personally i'm not a star gazer so i don't care. i agree that alabama is loaded with talent but they don't have the top 22 players in college football on their two deep. for the record the QB who threw the game winner was a lowly 4 star.

Tua was a 5 Star. But Hurts actually gets credit with the win (since he started) & he was a 4 Star. He started 3 Title games & won 2.
Bama actually has had three 5 Star QBs leave, & none start a title game. Bama won a title with a 3 Star QB & no 5 Stars...

Bama’s National Title Starters to win:

Hurts 4 Star
Hurts 4 Star
McCarron 4 Star
McCarron 4 Star
McElroy 3 Star

Reactions: Pennick4
Tua was a 5 Star. But Hurts actually gets credit with the win (since he started) & he was a 4 Star. He started 3 Title games & won 2.
Bama actually has had three 5 Star QBs leave, & none start a title game. Bama won a title with a 3 Star QB & no 5 Stars...

Hurts 4 Star
Hurts 4 Star
McCarron 4 Star
McCarron 4 Star
McElroy 3 Star
How many 5 stars surrounding those guys?

How many 5 stars surrounding those guys?

I actually posted that last year.
Someone from the Clemson & Bama sites listed the actual starters for each team in the back to back title games (each side won 1) using the ‘12,’13 & ‘14 recruiting classes (the classes that made up the ‘15 & ‘16 teams) & it’s not as many as you would think. Clemson had only one starter out of the three classes who was a 5 Star who started in either game. Bama has 3 Star players who started over 5 Star players. The best player at Bama (started on 3 national championship teams, won the Outland & Rimington at two different positions) was a 4 Star. (Barrett Jones).

I actually posted that last year.
Someone from the Clemson & Bama sites listed the actual starters for each team in the back to back title games (each side won 1) using the ‘12,’13 & ‘14 recruiting classes (the classes that made up the ‘15 & ‘16 teams) & it’s not as many as you would think. Clemson had only one starter out of the three classes who was a 5 Star who started in either game. Bama has 3 Star players who started over 5 Star players. The best player at Bama (started on 3 national championship teams, won the Outland & Rimington at two different positions) was a 4 Star. (Barrett Jones).
Mitch Hyatt and Deon Cain both started though as freshmen didn't they?

Dude, nobody said anything about 5 stars at every position. ND should land about 2 a class, preferably a skill guy or defensive player, these kids laugh at the notion of going to notre dame.

Yeah, you did. Here's your post.

So getting 5 stars isn't important? You do realize the goal is to win a national championship right? You do realize you need elite talent all around and/or a heisman caliber QB right?

In 2017 National Title Game, Bama had six total 5 Stars start & seven play.
Bama had five 3 Star players start, & 12 play.
Georgia had four 5 Stars start. Six play.
That’s according to 247 Composite rankings.

In 2017 National Title Game, Bama had six total 5 Stars start & seven play.
Bama had five 3 Star players start, & 12 play.
Georgia had four 5 Stars start. Six play.
That’s according to 247 Composite rankings.
Speaking of UGA... this current class they just signed will be ready to rock and roll by the time we play them in 2019. That team could be the most talented team ND has faced this millennium, including Bama in 12. Gonna need to be tough to compete with them on the road.

No they don't. You are just making stuff up.
Over the last five recruiting years Bama has averaged exactly 5 five-stars per year. 25 over 5 incoming classes, 2014 - 2018. Using Rivals rankings.

Speaking of UGA... this current class they just signed will be ready to rock and roll by the time we play them in 2019. That team could be the most talented team ND has faced this millennium, including Bama in 12. Gonna need to be tough to compete with them on the road.

I’m hoping they run into 3 problems:

1) Turnover. Some players they have now leave early.
2) Trasnfers. 5 Stars who don’t start early get frustrated & leave.
3) Youth. The current big time recruits are still young & not ready yet.

No they don't. You are just making stuff up.
QB- Tua 5*
RB- Damien Harris, Najee Harris both 5*
WR- Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, Devonta Smith all 5*
OT- Alex Leatherwood, Jedrick Willis both 5*
Center- Jonah Williams 5*

DE- Labryan Ray
OLB- Christian Miller, Terrell Lewis both 5*
MLB- Dylan Moses, Mack Wilson, Ben Davis all 5*

So at most positions they do have 5* players

Over the last five recruiting years Bama has averaged exactly 5 five-stars per year. 25 over 5 incoming classes, 2014 - 2018. Using Rivals rankings.

Like I said, the other poster was just making stuff up. Thanks for taking the time to actually do the research.

QB- Tua 5*
RB- Damien Harris, Najee Harris both 5*
WR- Jerry Jeudy, Henry Ruggs, Devonta Smith all 5*
OT- Alex Leatherwood, Jedrick Willis both 5*
Center- Jonah Williams 5*

DE- Labryan Ray
OLB- Christian Miller, Terrell Lewis both 5*
MLB- Dylan Moses, Mack Wilson, Ben Davis all 5*

So at most positions they do have 5* players

A bunch of those guys didn’t play.

Like I said, the other poster was just making stuff up. Thanks for taking the time to actually do the research.
Alabama just won a national title with at least one 5* at each position, in most cases multiple, except for tight end. Not making up anything.

any 3 star on an elite-recruited-program likely had to beat out some top rated recruits on the roster to earn his spot -- the exercise of breaking down each national championship roster and pointing out the 5 star players is futile -- just look at the data in aggregate

what the genesis of the debate comes down to is whether or not there's a correlation between recruiting success and success on the football field and that's a pretty easy debate to settle

all you have to do is look at all of the national championship winners dating back to the BCS era -- that list is a who's-who of all of the best recruited football programs during the last 15-20 years (these are also the teams who've graduated the most talent to the NFL during the same time period)

there are a few exceptions (outliers) but for the most part the teams who recruit the best talent in aggregate are the teams who have had the most success in aggregate this is an undeniable fact

any 3 star on an elite-recruited-program likely had to beat out some top rated recruits on the roster to earn his spot -- the exercise of breaking down each national championship roster and pointing out the 5 star players is futile -- just look at the data in aggregate

what the genesis of the debate comes down to is whether or not there's a correlation between recruiting success and success on the football field and that's a pretty easy debate to settle

all you have to do is look at all of the national championship winners dating back to the BCS era -- that list is a whose-who of all of the best recruited football programs during the last 15-20 years

there are a few exceptions (outliers) but for the most part the teams who recruit the best talent in aggregate are the teams who have had the most success in aggregate this is an undeniable fact
Every single outlier can be traced to having a generational talent at QB. Every single one.

Dude that's their 2 deep going into this year. I bet there's even more 5* buried on the depth chart.

No.
Alabama has two incoming 5 Stars in the 2018 class (Anoma & Surtain).
And you listed a handful of guys who weren’t composite 5 Stars.
Alabama doesn’t have anything near a 5 Star at every position. And none buried in the two deep. They have one position with a 5 Star two deep (RB).
You make it sound like they have 20 starting 5 Stars with others in waiting. They have 12 total on their roster, & two are incoming freshmen. They have 7 total as starters after their spring game.

A bunch of those guys didn’t play.
They didn't play because it's going into this year. Notice how I didn't list Minkah, Rashaan Evans, Dashawn Hand, Tony Brown, Calvin Ridley, Bo Scarborough, Daron Payne, and Robert Foster.

They didn't play because it's going into this year. Notice how I didn't list Minkah, Rashaan Evans, Dashawn Hand, Tony Brown, Calvin Ridley, Bo Scarborough, Daron Payne, and Robert Foster.

Which means they have less going into the year. They lost all those guys & only signed two 5 Stars in the 2018 class.

No.
Alabama has two incoming 5 Stars in the 2018 class (Anoma & Surtain).
And you listed a handful of guys who weren’t composite 5 Stars.
Alabama doesn’t have anything near a 5 Star at every position. And none buried in the two deep. They have one position with a 5 Star two deep (RB).
You make it sound like they have 20 starting 5 Stars with others in waiting. They have 12 total on their roster, & two are incoming freshmen. They have 7 total as starters after their spring game.
Yes.
It literally is their projected 2 deep. And I never said anything about composite 5*, even though many were. They were 5* by either rivals 247 or both. I didn't even list the 2 freshman that were both composites. You act like only having 7 5* starters is bad, and facing depth full of them is even worse. I don't understand your point? They clearly are full of 5* talent along with top 75 4* talent at every position.

Yes.
It literally is their projected 2 deep. And I never said anything about composite 5*, even though many were. They were 5* by either rivals 247 or both. I didn't even list the 2 freshman that were both composites. You act like only having 7 5* starters is bad, and facing depth full of them is even worse. I don't understand your point? They clearly are full of 5* talent along with top 75 4* talent at every position.

You said they have 5 Stars at every position (they dont). And they have them everywhere two deep (they don’t) & they have them buried in the depth chart (they don’t).
That’s my point.

You said they have 5 Stars at every position (they dont). And they have them everywhere two deep (they don’t) & they have them buried in the depth chart (they don’t).
That’s my point.
Okay... they literally just won a national championship with a 5 star at every spot except for TE and that's not an exaggeration

No that wasn't my argument.

My argument was that a coach needs to be held accountable for more than just performance on Saturdays.

Not held accountable for one in place of the other.

Brian Kelly is not Chip Kelly or Chris Peterson ... 2 coaches who've been able to compete for championships despite not competing for recruiting national championships.

There's a strong correlation between recruiting results and results on saturday.

When a coach is going on 5 years now without securing the type of recruits necessary to close the gap with the gatekeepers for FBS playoff spots it should be something that heavily influence whether or not the coach has the chops to stay employed at a premiere fbs university.

I don't understand why, despite all the evidence to the contrary, i still have to defend this argument over and over and over again.

It is not an accident that ND can't compete with the first tier of programs in college football while not being able to secure the type of recruits the first tier of programs have success with.

recruiting 5 star/top 100/high 4 star/elite nationally rated talent isn't some thing that is "nice to have" ... it is essential to competing for championships.

When 5 of the top programs in the country are hoarding this talent and you are not (you are on the outside looking in) it DIRECTLY impacts/effects whether or not you will compete for championships during the season.
Academics are a big factor------the 5 star kid of today is thinking 3 and done-------ND isn't the place for most of those kids

Now drivel on.

Academics are a big factor------the 5 star kid of today is thinking 3 and done-------ND isn't the place for most of those kids

Now drivel on.
It's a legit concern man. And there are plenty of 5* who want a great education as well. Also, what's wrong with going 3 and done? ND should be fine with that if that's the best path for a kid.

Why the big ruckus with Chaseball? In college football the players win the games. Five-Star guys win games - pretty simple really. He didn't say every player should be a 5-star guy (even though someone jumped on him for that). Check the play-off teams - how many 5-star guys do they have? PLENTY!

For all the nay-sayers, you might want to check out who has the 5-star guys and who does the winning.
Granted not every 5-star guy will be an all-american and also, granted not ever 5-star guy is a criminal like some here suggest. You actually can be a 5-star guy, win and not be a criminal.

Reactions: NDIRISH53
Anyone doing the math according to scout.com ND has had the #1 recruiting class 6 years in a row until 2018 when they were a miserable #6. They are currently #1 for 2019.

Hurts 4 Star
Hurts 4 Star
McCarron 4 Star
McCarron 4 Star
McElroy 3 Star
What I saw was 4 star. Guess it depends on the site.

Anyone doing the math according to scout.com ND has had the #1 recruiting class 6 years in a row until 2018 when they were a miserable #6. They are currently #1 for 2019.

Hummmm...................

So what you are saying is that according to Scout.com over the past 6 years ND has the nation's most talented football players bar none!

Whoa!!!!! What a rating service!

Is this a typo? Hope so, or you’re......

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT