ADVERTISEMENT

Does ND even recruit 5 star football players anymore?

It's a legit concern man. And there are plenty of 5* who want a great education as well. Also, what's wrong with going 3 and done? ND should be fine with that if that's the best path for a kid.
It's not the priority-----kids who are 5 stars have been on scholarship since the 6th grade for the most part.

In many cases they aren't a fit here-----especially academically-----and then there's Stanford.

If you're a great student and athlete and you live out West why would you pick ND over Stanford ?

You get the same thing and play closer to home.

It's not the priority-----kids who are 5 stars have been on scholarship since the 6th grade for the most part.

In many cases they aren't a fit here-----especially academically-----and then there's Stanford.

If you're a great student and athlete and you live out West why would you pick ND over Stanford ?

Great post.

Chase raises the lack of five star recruits on the ND roster from different angles numerous times per year and we invariably go down this path to his delight. I personally think we have the talent and depth of talent this year to compete for the NC, but that means several really talented players have to finally live up to their considerable potential..guys like Mack and Chase and Wimbush and D Hayes and Kareem, etc... This is our year, and it starts with a high profile game against Michigan. Go Irish.

Chase raises the lack of five star recruits on the ND roster from different angles numerous times per year and we invariably go down this path to his delight. I personally think we have the talent and depth of talent this year to compete for the NC, but that means several really talented players have to finally live up to their considerable potential..guys like Mack and Chase and Wimbush and D Hayes and Kareem, etc... This is our year, and it starts with a high profile game against Michigan. Go Irish.

Just a note to all about this discussion. Weis recruited a number of 5*'s but missed in depth and at even the O-line. He set up Kelly a little better than Golfingham an Davey. But Charlie had no consistency and the team had holes at various places. Where as Kelly does not get a lot 5* but the team in general does not have the holes the other coaches had. That said I remember Jerry Faust he recruited a bunch of Parade all americans and could not do anything right with the team. It took Lou Holtz to have them under his wing for three years before the Irish won a NC.

Then something needs to change. If you claim your goal is to win a national championship you need elite talent class after class to do so.

Because I'm tired of not winning anything that matters and sick of 25 years of mediocrity? Okay then that's fine by me
Notre Dame is an academic institution. It is trying to win and retain standards. It isn't that hard to understand. SEC works for you.

Notre Dame is an academic institution. It is trying to win and retain standards. It isn't that hard to understand. SEC works for you.
Very odd that they can win in WBB and still maintain standards but not football...

You are the human embodiment of the "holier than thou" attitude that plagues Notre Dame

You need to become an Ole Miss booster!
I'm all for anything goes in winning except paying a player or faking classes. I don't care if you have to cut a star player slack in the classroom. That's how things work, and I guarantee you things aren't as squeaky clean as you'd think at ND.

Then something needs to change. If you claim your goal is to win a national championship you need elite talent class after class to do so.
The goal is to win a natty but that goal falls well below the other goals @ ND..and thank god it does. That's why it's different, if they ever sell out to win as you suggest, then all is lost.

Reactions: Ara64 and Telx1
I'm all for anything goes in winning except paying a player or faking classes. I don't care if you have to cut a star player slack in the classroom. That's how things work, and I guarantee you things aren't as squeaky clean as you'd think at ND.
So ND has higher standards. Ole Miss needs you!

I have no problem with how Notre Dame recruits, really they do pretty well considering the relatively pedestrian results on the field. Win and prove you are elite on the field and the top recruits will start to give Notre Dame a more serious look.

The recruiting classes are typically at the back end of the top ten in the 9-13 range. What IS concerning is that the results on the field haven't consistently reached that level. That's what's concerning and making it really hard for Notre Dame to take the next step (along with the inability to develop a qb). They recruit far to well to ever go 4 and 8, and way too well to not win 10+ games a season. The talent especially this year is going to be some of the best Notre Dame has had for a long time, the schedule looks doable as well, it's put up or shut up time for this program no excuses.

I have no problem with how Notre Dame recruits, really they do pretty well considering the relatively pedestrian results on the field. Win and prove you are elite on the field and the top recruits will start to give Notre Dame a more serious look.

The recruiting classes are typically at the back end of the top ten in the 9-13 range. What IS concerning is that the results on the field haven't consistently reached that level. That's what's concerning and making it really hard for Notre Dame to take the next step (along with the inability to develop a qb). They recruit far to well to ever go 4 and 8, and way too well to not win 10+ games a season. The talent especially this year is going to be some of the best Notre Dame has had for a long time, the schedule looks doable as well, it's put up or shut up time for this program no excuses.
Our recruiting rankings are typically good enough to be a championship contender, but we do lack those 2-3 difference makers on the d line. Elston seems to be changing that!

ND also has one of the toughest schedules (schedule is littered with top 25/top 50 football programs from coast to coast) from week 1 through 12. ND doesn't play in a conference so it was BCS or bust, now it's playoff or bust. Maybe they haven't performed to their 12.5 average recruiting class the last several years but strength of schedule is a major reason as to why and even more reason why ND needs to recruit much better than they currently are.

Oh yea and i love those Chase posts for much of the time that he's had an account here .. all those fallacies he tells to get a rise out of people .. all that trolling .. oh how delighted he is!

These 12+ yrs he keeps talking about how ND lacks the level of recruiting/talent that will allow them to compete with the best teams in the country .. all the while, ND goes out there, makes the playoffs, wins BCS bowls, and generally beats these teams consistently, and brings home a few national titles in the process...with the way he tells it, you would think NDs biggest bowl win the last 12+ years was the Citrus bowl...

All that darn Chase trolling i tell ya!

Last edited:
ND also has one of the toughest schedules (schedule is littered with top 25/top 50 football programs from coast to coast) from week 1 through 12. So their recruiting needs to be even better -- it was BCS or bust, now it's playoff or bust. The stakes are higher, there's less margin for error, and the schedule doesn't relent. Maybe they haven't performed to their 12.5 average recruiting class the last several years but there are external factors to consider as well.

Oh yea and i love those Chase posts for much of the time that he's had an account here .. all those fallacies he tells to get a rise out of people .. all that trolling .. oh how delighted he is!

These 12+ yrs he keeps talking about how ND lacks the level of recruiting/talent that will allow them to compete with the best teams in the country .. all the while, ND goes out there, makes the playoffs, wins BCS bowls, and generally beats these teams consistently, and brings home a few national titles in the process...with the way he tells it, you would think NDs biggest bowl win the last 12+ years was the Citrus bowl. o_O

Winning isn't important to the administration!

Reactions: SIhoosier26
ND also has one of the toughest schedules (schedule is littered with top 25/top 50 football programs from coast to coast) from week 1 through 12. ND doesn't play in a conference so it was BCS or bust, now it's playoff or bust. Maybe they haven't performed to their 12.5 average recruiting class the last several years but strength of schedule is a major reason as to why and even more reason why ND needs to recruit much better than they currently are.

These 12+ yrs he keeps talking about how ND lacks the level of recruiting/talent that will allow them to compete with the best teams in the country .. all the while, ND goes out there, makes the playoffs, wins BCS bowls, and generally beats these teams consistently, and brings home a few national titles in the process...with the way he tells it, you would think NDs biggest bowl win the last 12+ years was the Citrus bowl...

We've also lost to a bunch of teams we had no business losing to. Teams like Duke, Northwestern, Temple, Navy ect.. have no business beating Notre Dame. I think one major issue has been the development of a qb. Brian Kelly has struggled with this throughout his career and it's really hindered Notre Dame from winning consistently, especially in big games.

We've also lost to a bunch of teams we had no business losing to. Teams like Duke, Northwestern, Temple, Navy ect.. have no business beating Notre Dame. I think one major issue has been the development of a qb. Brian Kelly has struggled with this throughout his career and it's really hindered Notre Dame from winning consistently, especially in big games.
S&C program was a disgrace! Led by one of BK's best friends!

In football, you always have to expand the sample size. The one off loss to Duke/Northwestern/Navy don't mean all that much. All kinds of weird stuff is capable of happening in small sample size/1 off games. Losses like this should be expected for an 8 win program, especially given some of the massive holes in the roster during the first half of BKs tenure.

When you expand the sample size, and look at BKs career holistically, we know what we are going to get:

BK is an 8 win coach, who recruits classes in the lower teens, and his program at ND doesn't have the upside to win it all. We know this as fact. He's been employed for almost 10 yrs at ND, sending the message that this is a level of success ND administrators find acceptable.

In football, you always have to expand the sample size. The one off loss to Duke/Northwestern/Navy don't mean all that much. All kinds of weird stuff is capable of happening in small sample size/1 off games. Losses like this should be expected for an 8 win program, especially given some of the massive holes in the roster during the first half of BKs tenure.

When you expand the sample size, and look at BKs career holistically, we know what we are going to get:

BK is an 8 win coach, who recruits classes in the lower teens, and his program at ND doesn't have the upside to win it all. We know this as fact. He's been employed for almost 10 yrs at ND, sending the message that this is a level of success ND administrators find acceptable.

In the last 40+ years, ND has played the final game for a National Title twice. 1988 & 2012.
So tell me more about ND’s upside for winning it all?

In the last 40+ years, ND has played the final game for a National Title twice. 1988 & 2012.
So tell me more about ND’s upside for winning it all?
#1 Really dude... 40 years?
#2 2012 showed ND still has lengths to go to win a national championship

#1 Really dude... 40 years?
#2 2012 showed ND still has lengths to go to win a national championship

Between 1978 & 2018 you tell me how many times ND played the final game with a win they were national champions?
And in 2012 ND was infinitely more capable of winning the title than anybody not playing in the game.

Between 1978 & 2018 you tell me how many times ND played the final game with a win they were national champions?
And in 2012 ND was infinitely more capable of winning the title than anybody not playing in the game.
Oregon OSU LSU A&M UGA all would have put up way more of a fight. If BK's finest accomplishment is getting curb stomped in the national championship then he's not getting the job done. Enough said

It's those type of losses that make Notre Dame an 8 win program. That being said I agree it's time to give someone else a shot. Brian Kelly is the definition of mediocre, and he always comes up short in big games. That being said leadership at Notre Dame could care less if they ever win another title. It's just about money and image

Oregon OSU LSU A&M UGA all would have put up way more of a fight. If BK's finest accomplishment is getting curb stomped in the national championship then he's not getting the job done. Enough said

You didn’t answer the first question.
And actually, getting that ND team to a title game is more impressive to me than my favorite coach (Holtz) not getting the 89-93 teams to a single title game. Those 5 years were #1 or #2 rated classes every year & didn’t play for a title.

It's those type of losses that make Notre Dame an 8 win program. That being said I agree it's time to give someone else a shot. Brian Kelly is the definition of mediocre, and he always comes up short in big games. That being said leadership at Notre Dame could care less if they ever win another title. It's just about money and image

This post helps me. Thank you. (Ignore button activated)

By your metrics David Shaw should be fired and Stanford should become more admission friendly------neither of which is going to happen. They recruit extremely well and play a ton easier schedule than we do and have an edge geographically

What separates ND from many of the schools you aspire to be like are the HS transcripts of recruits and what you need to get in.

You must have 2 yrs of foreign language----4 yrs of Higher Math-----2 yrs minimum of Lab Science-----those are the minimums. They cannot recruit you without them.

You should see the transcripts of some kids who end up at D-1 in both Hoops and Football----what qualifies as Core is beyond stupid. There are literally 20 % of the Public HS's in this country where the top students in the senior class can't compete here academically which is sad but the reality.

Reactions: echowaker
By your metrics David Shaw should be fired and Stanford should become more admission friendly------neither of which is going to happen. They recruit extremely well and play a ton easier schedule than we do and have an edge geographically

What separates ND from many of the schools you aspire to be like are the HS transcripts of recruits and what you need to get in.

You must have 2 yrs of foreign language----4 yrs of Higher Math-----2 yrs minimum of Lab Science-----those are the minimums. They cannot recruit you without them.

You should see the transcripts of some kids who end up at D-1 in both Hoops and Football----what qualifies as Core is beyond stupid. There are literally 20 % of the Public HS's in this country where the top students in the senior class can't compete here academically which is sad but the reality.

to my understanding it is more difficult to get into Stanford than Notre Dame so our team should beat Stanford right

Are we talking about recruiting or signing the player? I believe the recruiting process begins with a scholarship offer. The end game is signing the players who accepts the challenge of coming to Notre Dame. I believe with all my heart that a player must want it badly to accept ND. He will be challenged everyday in the classroom, in the weightroom, with time management, study, and community service. I guess I should mention film study and learning the playbook too. ND has offered 9 of the current 21 Five Star recruits. I don't believe for a second that Coach Kelly would not accept them if they picked ND. The choice still rest in the hands of the player.

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals250/2019

Last edited:
Reactions: echowaker
ADVERTISEMENT