ADVERTISEMENT

Just Another Great Day For ND Football...

ND needs to take the position where they continue to recruit their other QB targets after one commits. Focusing on one QB just because they gave a verbal isn't a smart approach. If the recruit doesn't like it, tough.
You bring up Cardale Jones. He's actually a great example of why one should go to a university where academics and achieving a meaningful degree are a priority. The guy lasted all of 2 years in the NFL. There are countless others as well. This is the selling point ND needs to emphasize, you get the opportunity play at an elite level with the potential to play in the NFL, but if that doesn't work out or gets cut short you have the prestigious degree to fall back on. Best of both worlds.
That isn't going to work with the top QBs. We didn't do that for Carr. Maybe if we did, he would have looked elsewhere. That just isn't done

I do like the TE, so fair there. LB and DL are all major projects at best other than burgess. Sacca, who is highly rated I think is still a major project.

All players are somewhat projects, but what I'm talking about is players that clearly aren't ready to even come close to contributing day 1. Maybe burgess and Dixon could get off the scout team.
We arent going to need a LB or DL to play day 1 next year

Reactions: BGI User 756
We arent going to need a LB or DL to play day 1 next year
I do NOT like our interior DL next year without 1-2 from the portal. Agree on LB, but you didn't need KVA to play this year, and he's going to play because he's just good. We could use another good/stud in the 2 deep for next year IMO.

I do NOT like our interior DL next year without 1-2 from the portal. Agree on LB, but you didn't need KVA to play this year, and he's going to play because he's just good. We could use another good/stud in the 2 deep for next year IMO.
Onye, Rubio and Hinish will be returning players

Mukam (Washington loves) with Houstan/Vernon/Sevillano/Mullen

We'll be fine with those 8. If we need to add one guy that's fine. We won't need a guy to play as a freshman

Reactions: echowaker
That isn't going to work with the top QBs. We didn't do that for Carr. Maybe if we did, he would have looked elsewhere. That just isn't done
If they are verbally committed and taking visits they aren't committed, open it up and start recruiting the position.

Reactions: notredame79
If they are verbally committed and taking visits they aren't committed, open it up and start recruiting the position.
OK, agree.

Continuing to recruit QB targets after a QB verbals, which you promoted earlier in this thread, I do not.

That's different than what you said
As soon as Deuce visited Ole Miss, ND should have opened up QB recruiting. They never did and you were against ND recruiting another QB as well.

The longest running truth in the 20 years I've been on this board is the it's all ok/it's getting better denial from the same people and what has really changed? Nothing really. Has ND won a NC' in the last 35 years? No! Has ND won a Playoff game? No! Has ND ever even been competitive in a Playoff game? No! Has ND even had 1 top 5 recruiting class since BK 14 years ago? No! Would the above 8 studs change that narrative? Maybe!! I like MF a lot but he was brought here as a hot-shot DC/recruiter and quickly proved he could recruit at ND. He was made HC to keep the class together and close in the aisle BK said was off-limits. He had 8 studs and lost all of them, period! That simply can't happen when it's a big part of why you were hired. So, again if you think things have changed as of today your just still in denial.

Last edited:
The longest running truth in the 20 years I've been on this board is the it's all ok/it's getting better denial from the same people and what has really changed? Nothing really. Has ND won a NC' in the last 35 years? No! Has ND won a Playoff game? No! Has ND ever even been competitive in a Playoff game? No! Has ND broken into a top 5 recruiting school? No! Would the above 8 studs changed that narrative? Yes!!
it's funny that ND can lose their best recruits in their class every year and nobody seems to be able to make the connection with the product on the field.

oh you lost the ONE top 50 composite player in your class despite your competitors signing 5-10 recruits of that quality in their class "all good we don't need them .. notre dame is going to win a natty this year!"

ND proceeds to go 9-3 and finish another recruiting cycle ranked between 10-15th

New cycle comes around and ND again can't close on any of their top targets on the recruiting trail ..

"its ok we dont need them"

ND proceeds to go 9-3 and finish with a #13 class yet again after striking out on most of their top targets.

"its ok we dont need them"

Never ending cycle of mediocrity ensues for 5/10/15/20+ more years

my point: how many more losses on the recruiting trail is it going to take for ND fans/admins/coaches/people at Notre Dame to make the connection between the failures/losses on the recruiting trail and ultimately the product on the football field on Saturdays? And what is Notre Dame doing strategically at the admin level to leverage their money and power in the sport to neutralize this program-crippling handicap? Anything at all? or more business as usual..?

Last edited:
Reactions: notredame79
With the increased scholarships coming, I would take another QB and keep recruiting Knight.
Then Knight just leaves. This isn't the way you recruit big time QBs. You have to deal with it until they say no. Then you find someone or use the portal.

You aren't recruiting another Deuce anyway because there's no one like him

The longest running truth in the 20 years I've been on this board is the it's all ok/it's getting better denial from the same people and what has really changed? Nothing really. Has ND won a NC' in the last 35 years? No! Has ND won a Playoff game? No! Has ND ever even been competitive in a Playoff game? No! Has ND even had 1 top 5 recruiting class since BK 14 years ago? No! Would the above 8 studs change that narrative? Maybe!! I like MF a lot but he was brought here as a hot-shot DC/recruiter and quickly proved he could recruit at ND. He was made HC to keep the class together and close in the aisle BK said was off-limits. He had 8 studs and lost all of them, period! That simply can't happen when it's a big part of why you were hired. So, again if you think things have changed as of today your just still in denial.
Go grab some kleenex.

Disagree. If he’s so up the chain, then he shouldn’t be worried about whatever is brought in with him.
Don’t believe everything you read.

You have no clue why he’s looking around. Nor do I.

It’s all speculation.

Disagree. If he’s so up the chain, then he shouldn’t be worried about whatever is brought in with him.
The problems go way beyond Deuce Knight, Ivan Taylor, Meadows, etc. in this 2025 cycle but their recruitment this year is doing a good job of highlighting a problem at Notre Dame that spans much of the last 20 years.

Don’t believe everything you read.

You have no clue why he’s looking around. Nor do I.

It’s all speculation.
I never said a word about why he’s looking around.

He is looking though, right? If that’s the case, then he’s already one foot out the door.

I’d rather secure another QB. If he leaves, so be it.

The problems go way beyond Deuce Knight, Ivan Taylor, Meadows, etc. in this 2025 cycle but their recruitment this year is doing a good job of highlighting a problem at Notre Dame that spans much of the last 20 years.
Have you written a letter to Notre Dame expressing your concerns with recruiting? Do you donate to NIL? What do you want Freeman to do about it? I’m actually asking and not being rhetorical.

Have you written a letter to Notre Dame expressing your concerns with recruiting? Do you donate to NIL? What do you want Freeman to do about it? I’m actually asking and not being rhetorical.
I think MF sympathizes with the fans on this issue. I think he's advocating hard to try to pull ND out of the stone ages and elevate the talent in the organization but banging his head against the wall running into the roadblocks established by the old guard at the institution.

He is looking though, right? If that’s the case, then he’s already one foot out the door.

You don't recruit two QB's at the same time in the same class.

And in this kid's case, IMO, you ride it out.

Frankly, based on what I have watched and read, I believe CJ Carr will or would win the starting job over Deuce Knight. Either in 2025 or 2026.

I think MF sympathizes with the fans on this issue. I think he's advocating hard to try to pull ND out of the stone ages and elevate the talent in the organization but banging his head against the wall running into the roadblocks established by the old guard at the institution.
To add to this: MF had a really impressive 2023 season (finished 8th in F+ last year despite having the 10th ranked talent) and the player development was very solid for a 2nd year head coach.

My fear is that MF turns out to be a really good football coach (jury is still out) but gets fed up with all the white tape/bureaucracy at ND that is holding the program back (in the same way his predecessor did) and MF ultimately leaves at the first opportunity elsewhere he gets.

The old goats calling the shots at ND are stubborn AF (which is just bad leadership).

Last edited:
Not to side track the conversation but, does anyone know when the next rankings update is? I will make a little prediction that as soon as Deuce flips he's gonna get that 5th 🌟 🤔

I agree with Golson in this situation.

I would ride this out until Deuce tells Notre Dame he is moving on.
If you're looking, we're looking.
That would be quite a solution. Require Chase to make a donation to the NIL fund for every complaint about it.

• Haha
Reactions: NDinNJ and Kelso86
I know it took Deuce about to flip to post this but, it's not at all about just Deuce! There's an alarming amount of high 4 & 5 star talent that MF isn't closing on. I bashed BK for only recruiting at a good level well, MF maybe a little bit better but, not at closing the difference makers I posted above and he completely whiffed at WR. If I close my eyes not much is different recruiting wise and we're 3 seasons in now. He better produce big time on the field or we will have regressed from BK and that's when my leash will get short. I've supported MF 1001 % so far but, it's time to start closing on big time talent and make the Playoffs or start looking for someone who can do both🤞
While what you say is for the most part true,
1) a few schools get multiple 5*s , a few other blue bloods occasionally get one, and the rest are locked into staying home … we realistically need to get one a year, two would be a coup
2) the best 5* players are 2 year starters in college
3) recruiting high schoolers is less important as there are ways to attract proven older and stronger players where fit is also easier to evaluate
4) top to bottom the roster is more complete … less holes that we simply couldn’t dig out of (Kelly had QB problems, Weis inherited I think 6 healthy scholarship OL, freeman had at one point 4 scholarship receivers )

Nah, not with this kid. Ride it out.

I don’t question Marcus Freeman and Mike Denbrock one iota how they are handling this.
Agreed. We want Deuce in this class but we aren’t exactly in a corner (finally) with the QB position.

Reactions: sjb75
I'm not either, because we really don't know how they are handling it.
If you saw Freeman and Denbrock making offers to other 2025 QB’s, like you proposed, you would.

They aren’t. And in this age of social media, nothing is secret.

Reactions: NDDadx3
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT