ADVERTISEMENT

Does ND even recruit 5 star football players anymore?

Oregon OSU LSU A&M UGA all would have put up way more of a fight. If BK's finest accomplishment is getting curb stomped in the national championship then he's not getting the job done. Enough said
Bring on Brohm! :eek::eek:

Are we talking about recruiting or signing the player? I believe the recruiting process begins with a scholarship offer. The end game is signing the players who accepts the challenge of coming to Notre Dame. I believe with all my heart that a player must want it badly to accept ND. He will be challenged everyday in the classroom, in the weightroom, with time management, study, and community service. I guess I should mention fill study and learning the playbook too. ND has offered 9 of the current 21 Five Star recruits. I don't believe for a second that Coach Kelly would not accept them if they picked ND. The choice still rest in the hands of the player.

https://n.rivals.com/prospect_rankings/rivals250/2019

I think there is a lot more that goes into this than people realize. a 5* kid probably realizes academics are a good thing however, so is a multi-million $ contract in the NFL. So why not go for a team they think will get them to the pros that maybe they do not have to stress about school over. Also Notre Dame sends inquiries to almost all potential recruits in advance. They ask them if they are interested in Notre Dame and asks them to send a transcript.

Just a note to all about this discussion. Weis recruited a number of 5*'s but missed in depth and at even the O-line. He set up Kelly a little better than Golfingham an Davey. But Charlie had no consistency and the team had holes at various places. Where as Kelly does not get a lot 5* but the team in general does not have the holes the other coaches had. That said I remember Jerry Faust he recruited a bunch of Parade all americans and could not do anything right with the team. It took Lou Holtz to have them under his wing for three years before the Irish won a NC.
Faust recruited linemen as an afterthought. He was all about skill position playmakers. Holtz changed that immediately.

Faust recruited linemen as an afterthought. He was all about skill position playmakers. Holtz changed that immediately.

What I like about what Kelly does he is recruiting O-linemen and D-Linemen as of the past 2-3 cycles. You need skill players obviously but you get those good linemen you are in every game

It’s not just getting 5 star talent but it’s about getting that one or two 5 star talents at a weak spot on your team. For example what if last years team had a 5 star safety and a 5 star de on the roster. That significantly changes the dynamic of that team.

By your metrics David Shaw should be fired and Stanford should become more admission friendly------neither of which is going to happen. They recruit extremely well and play a ton easier schedule than we do and have an edge geographically

What separates ND from many of the schools you aspire to be like are the HS transcripts of recruits and what you need to get in.

You must have 2 yrs of foreign language----4 yrs of Higher Math-----2 yrs minimum of Lab Science-----those are the minimums. They cannot recruit you without them.

You should see the transcripts of some kids who end up at D-1 in both Hoops and Football----what qualifies as Core is beyond stupid. There are literally 20 % of the Public HS's in this country where the top students in the senior class can't compete here academically which is sad but the reality.
Stanford does not have the winning tradition that ND has. You play to win.

It’s not just getting 5 star talent but it’s about getting that one or two 5 star talents at a weak spot on your team. For example what if last years team had a 5 star safety and a 5 star de on the roster. That significantly changes the dynamic of that team.

The special players. Game changers on offense and defense separate the contenders from pretenders.

I agree with that. Notre Dame wants to win, but it isn't everything to them like it is to Alabama. Clemson, Ohio State ect...
Exactly, winning isn't as important at ND as it is with those guy. Winning 10 games has become "great" to most ND fans. Not me, and it seems you not you either! As Al Davis once said- "just win baby!"

ND will say all day that winning a national championship is the goal, but as far as I'm concerned that seems like talk to me.

Exactly, winning isn't as important at ND as it is with those guy. Winning 10 games has become "great" to most ND fans. Not me, and it seems you not you either! As Al Davis once said- "just win baby!"

ND will say all day that winning a national championship is the goal, but as far as I'm concerned that seems like talk to me.
notre dame will never conduct their football business the way other places do so why keep bitching about it ? the horse IS dead !

Keep on making stuff up. It obviously makes you feel better.

Keep on making stuff up. It obviously makes you feel better.
What am I making up? 10 games has become a great season to many if not most ND fans. They have tapped out and lowered expectations. I bet there's members of this board who think last year was great. You have 0 idea what you're talking about

If nothing else, the last 25 years proves that ND fans are EXTREMELY loyal.

The team is still raising ticket prices, still selling out every home game, etc.

This is actually great news as a fan of the football team. So long as ND is still in the discussion among the top revenue generating football programs in the country every year, the upside of the football program will remain sky high regardless of what fans' expectations are.

The administrators at the top of the food chain at ND want a winner as bad as any of us do. If there's one thing besides money that makes these wealthy middle aged white dudes tick, it's pride. So long as we keep stuffing their pocketbooks full of cash, someone will eventually spend it correctly and bring ND home a national title.

The ten win season is an interesting metric. Count me among those wanting to celebrate back to back ten win seasons at ND. Lou on the pay site had an excellent article on this topic today, and the facts are almost depressing. Facts like twenty teams on average win ten games. Facts like Alabama has won at least ten games each of the past twelve years, and averaged 12 wins per season. Ohio St and Clemson averages are close behind. The fact that 1993 was the last time ND had consecutive double digit win seasons! No question that adding a game to the regular season, followed by adding conference championships, followed by an obscene number of bowl games and the NC playoff etc... has marginalized the significance of the ten win season. And yet it’s been twenty five years since we had back to back! For ND to be back, the ten win season should be the floor, not the apex!

The ten win season is an interesting metric. Count me among those wanting to celebrate back to back ten win seasons at ND. Lou on the pay site had an excellent article on this topic today, and the facts are almost depressing. Facts like twenty teams on average win ten games. Facts like Alabama has won at least ten games each of the past twelve years, and averaged 12 wins per season. Ohio St and Clemson averages are close behind. The fact that 1993 was the last time ND had consecutive double digit win seasons! No question that adding a game to the regular season, followed by adding conference championships, followed by an obscene number of bowl games and the NC playoff etc... has marginalized the significance of the ten win season. And yet it’s been twenty five years since we had back to back! For ND to be back, the ten win season should be the floor, not the apex!
Ding ding ding. 10 wins needs to become run of the mill for Notre Dame, not something to be celebrated. Anything less than 10 wins is a failure, 10 wins should be the damn floor if you want to be taken seriously!

10 games should happen 99% of the time with the talent we get. I expect 10+ wins this season. This year we should make the playoff's. On going we should win at least 10 games. I know 53 thinks we should have a number of 5*'s and yes we do get an occasional 5* but not too his liking. Even without this years team is really good.

Reactions: SIhoosier26
10 games should happen 99% of the time with the talent we get. I expect 10+ wins this season. This year we should make the playoff's. On going we should win at least 10 games. I know 53 thinks we should have a number of 5*'s and yes we do get an occasional 5* but not too his liking. Even without this years team is really good.

The playoff spot battle will be between the Pac12, the Big12 and ND. Only 1 spot. Not being in a conference in this situation is an advantage.

But if ND losses to any of Michigan, Stanford or USC, or FSU, and that team does not make the playoffs, then even as a 1 loss team ND is out.

George Karlaftis (from northern Indiana) is about to receive his 5th Star & is ranked the #1 SDE in the nation by 247.
So does he automatically make a team better?
None of the big programs are recruiting him. ND backed way off. Michigan backed off. OSU never offered. He is now conmitted to Purdue.
According to two different podcasts he performed horribly at the ND camp (was the worst DL there) then followed that up with a couple other bad visits to major programs.

So do you want a 5 Star that nobody is recruiting or a 4 Star everybody is after?

Here you go: (574) 631-5000

George Karlaftis (from northern Indiana) is about to receive his 5th Star & is ranked the #1 SDE in the nation by 247.
None of the big programs are recruiting him. ND backed way off. Michigan backed off. OSU never offered. He is now conmitted to Purdue.
According to two different podcasts he performed horribly at the ND camp (was the worst DL there) then followed that up with a couple other bad visits to major programs.

So do you want a 5 Star that nobody is recruiting or a 4 Star everybody is after?
That would certainly make you wonder why he's getting his 5th star, wouldn't it? He should commit to us, then he'd be a three star the next time they redo the ratings.

That would certainly make you wonder why he's getting his 5th star, wouldn't it? He should commit to us, then he'd be a three star the next time they redo the ratings.

Evidently he puts up big numbers in shorts & t-shirts, which is what recruiting services seem to love.
At the ND lineman camp he attended, the podcasts said he was so bad he even realized he was out of his league & lost all his confidence.
If he does put it together it will be a nice pickup for Purdue. But if that’s the case others might kick the tires again.

Great post, agree with all of it. This is a big year for Brian Kelly and the rest of the program.

Reactions: zonairish
On average Brian Kelly has brought in top 10 talent on a regular basis. Under his watch Notre Dame has finished in the top 10 all of one time and it was vacated. I don't worry about the recruiting because if he was more consistent I believe Notre Dame would see an uptick in recruiting, just like they did the year after the title game. Win and they will come.

Sounds as if Kyle Hamilton is having himself & pretty good camp at the Opening Finals.

Are you surprised. It’s freaking insane Rivals has him as a 3*. Borderline top100 kid in my book.

I’m not surprised at all. I’m not a talent evaluator but the 2-3 I trust all say he is a high 4 Star.
I read one of his critics who rated him lower because of looking normal at an underclassman Camp has changed his tune on him & said he looks great now.

Reactions: NotreDomer1
I’m not surprised at all. I’m not a talent evaluator but the 2-3 I trust all say he is a high 4 Star.
I read one of his critics who rated him lower because of looking normal at an underclassman Camp has changed his tune on him & said he looks great now.
A couple months ago it seemed like a given that he was going to get boosted to 4 star. What changed, other than committing to us?

A couple months ago it seemed like a given that he was going to get boosted to 4 star. What changed, other than committing to us?

No clue.
He was changed from a 5.5 to a 5.7, with no games played, just from his performance at a regional camp. I would guess his performance at the Opening pushes him over the hump, but Rivals isn’t there so they probably won’t increase him. But the other sites probably will.

Check his offer list.

I don't really put that much weight into offer lists simply because nobody knows what offers are really actionable and there's a lot of embellishment that goes on with the recruits (embellishment is a nice way of saying that recruits will straight up lie in regards to what programs are recruiting them, and what offers are really commitable or not)

I do put a lot of weight on ratings though .. especially 24/7 because it's a consolidated collection of many different analysts opinions on the recruit. And it's the only public analysis/objective analysis we have on the quality of prospect of any of these guys really.

So in the case of Karlaftis (composite .96) at a major position of need, my answer to the question would be "undoubtedly yes!" i don't care what his offer list is .. when is the last time we secured an LOI from a defensive end that had a composite rating of .96+ ?

And whether you're in agreement with me regarding offer lists and their credibility or not ... Karlaftis list includes Miami, USC, PSU, Alabama, Florida, Clemson, MSU, Michigan, etc. etc. so this idea that he's not being recruited by anybody seems really far fetched.

Last edited:
I don't really put that much weight into offer lists simply because nobody knows what offers are really actionable and there's a lot of embellishment that goes on with the recruits (embellishment is a nice way of saying that recruits will straight up lie in regards to what programs are recruiting them, and what offers are really commitable or not)

I do put a lot of weight on ratings though .. especially 24/7 because it's a consolidated collection of many different analysts opinions on the recruit. And it's the only public analysis/objective analysis we have on the quality of prospect of any of these guys really.

So in the case of Karlaftis (composite .96) at a major position of need, my answer to the question would be "undoubtedly yes!" i don't care what his offer list is .. when is the last time we secured an LOI from a defensive end that had a composite rating of .96+ ?

And whether you're in agreement with me regarding offer lists and their credibility or not ... Karlaftis list includes Miami, USC, PSU, Alabama, Florida, Clemson, MSU, Michigan, etc. etc. so this idea that he's not being recruited by anybody seems really far fetched.

according to 247 he is a .953 but why debate that. Currently he is at the opening and he is not doing very well to my understanding. Not that this tells what type of player he is going to be. I think he was rated high because of his upside and size. He probably should be rated lower maybe a low 4 or a high 3. Based upon other discussions from other analysts he would be a project. Our analyst are not that high on him either and obviously Notre Dame does not mind passing at this point.

None of us really know the details of his recruitment process.
His highlight films show good size and agility. It may be he is a football player but not a camp star guy.

SC is taking a look at him.

Last edited:

None of those schools are currently recruiting him. Sorry.
And as far as kids lying, employees of the different team sites can verify offers with the teams, so they know which ones are real or not, & even after one is given if the team is still willing to accept a commitment from that recruit.
You can learn about how it actually unfolds or you can live in your bubble & convince yourself you are right all the time.

And as far as kids lying, employees of the different team sites can verify offers with the teams, so they know which ones are real or not, & even after one is given if the team is still willing to accept a commitment from that recruit.
You can learn about how it actually unfolds or you can live in your bubble & convince yourself you are right all the time.

He impressed at the open. He was among the best, among the best, Your serve.

He impressed at the open. He was among the best, among the best, Your serve.
Karlaftis? Finished top 5 among D linemen I read...

But obviously he isn't good enough to play defensive end for us... we get way too much talent there on a yearly basis.

Also our good friend Joseph Anderson freaking dominated every clip I watched him except for one... stud defensive end begging to go to ND but he didn't have an A+ in Latin and Physics so we had to turn him away.

Cmon man... even if you do think he's a 3* player ranked 450-500 range in the country, he still is in our backyard & at a position of dire need. We've taken way worse options at D end over the past cycles.

He's better than Kiser & Moala who I both understand taking (especially Moala). Taking a guy like Kiser at a position where we've been recruiting like crazy, now to the point where Heinrich may not even be a take according to Tim Prister who I respect a ton.

At the end of the day, he's a kid in our backyard at a position of need. Am I missing something?

Karlaftis is going to be pursued by some top programs. Potential aside he performed much more impressively than NNOM. In fact he impressed more than any ND targeted attendee with possible exception of everyone’s darling, Hamilton.
Re Hamilton, he may make the biggest composite rating jump ever at mid year.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT