ADVERTISEMENT

Does ND even recruit 5 star football players anymore?

chaseball

I've posted how many times?
Sep 8, 2007
For a university with NDs wealth/success/history/etc. i can't be the only one here EXTREMELY CONCERNED that the last time ND secured an LOI from a consensus 5 star recruit was back in 2013 (5.5 full recruiting classes ago).

That's nearly 6 full cycles at one of the best football universities in the country without a single composite 5 star commitment.

That's scary and troubling as all hell.

This program DESPERATELY NEEDS SOME LIFE INJECTED INTO IT.

We need a fresh face, some young spunk, a Kirby Smart who sells-out for recruiting and makes this place trendy again (like back during the lou holtz days).

We are NEVER going to win a national championship going this many cycles without recruiting some blue-chip studs at the top of their position (and im not talking about a kicker/punter/snapper either).

The days of judging a coach based purely on his saturday performance is WAY OVER. People should be losing their jobs over this type of failure on the recruiting trail.

Last edited:
Reactions: Patriot82
So one 5 Star & 19 3 Stars is better than 20 4 Stars?
And winning on Saturday isn’t how coaches should be judged? If they recruit 5 Stars & lose they are fine? So Charlie Weis?
So you are finally admitting winning on Saturday isnt as important as getting a 5 Star?
You should take over the program since you have the answers...

Reactions: hvillebill
For a university with NDs wealth/success/history/etc. i can't be the only one here EXTREMELY CONCERNED that the last time ND secured an LOI from a consensus 5 star recruit was back in 2013 (5.5 full recruiting classes ago).

That's nearly 6 full cycles at one of the best football universities in the country without a single composite 5 star commitment.

We need a fresh face, some young spunk, a Kirby Smart who sells-out for recruiting and makes this place trendy again (like back during the lou holtz days).

We are NEVER going to win a national championship going this many cycles without recruiting some blue-chip studs at the top of their position (and im not talking about a kicker/punter/snapper) either.

The days of judging a coach based purely on his saturday performance is WAY OVER. People should be losing their jobs over this type of failure on the recruiting trail.
how many causes of death can one horse have ?

We are NEVER going to win a national championship going this many cycles without recruiting some blue-chip studs at the top of their position (and im not talking about a kicker/punter/snapper) either.

says the resident astrologer....

Last edited:

what's this "we " crap ?

how many causes of death can one horse have ?
Apparently an infinite amount. It's sad what has happened to this board after every single commitment. Instead of celebrating a player making a great decision and discussing how he could be a benefit to the team, the same 4 or 5 @$$clowns come out of the woodwork EVERY SINGLE TIME (even for 4* players) and ruin it by complaining about stars, criticizing kid's abilities based on 5 minutes of hudl tape, and slamming whatever aspect of ND's football program they decide is the soup of the day. The only way any of them could be satiated would be for us to pull in a 29 man recruiting class of all 5* players.

Reactions: Pennick4
Apparently an infinite amount. It's sad what has happened to this board after every single commitment. Instead of celebrating a player making a great decision and discussing how he could be a benefit to the team, the same 4 or 5 @$$clowns come out of the woodwork EVERY SINGLE TIME (even for 4* players) and ruin it by complaining about stars, criticizing kid's abilities based on 5 minutes of hudl tape, and slamming whatever aspect of ND's football program they decide is the soup of the day. The only way any of them could be satiated would be for us to pull in a 29 man recruiting class of all 5* players.
well said but they will ALWAYS find something to complain about.

The short answer is "yes". And when they land one (Michael Floyd, Manti Te'o, Jaylon Smith, Stephon Tuitt, Quenton Nelson) more times than not they end up becoming National Award winners, All Americans, 1st and 2nd round picks and some of the best players in the modern history of Notre Dame, relative to their positions...

Unfortunately, they are few and far in between.

Reactions: irishdave2000

We are NEVER going to win a national championship going this many cycles without recruiting some blue-chip studs at the top of their position (and im not talking about a kicker/punter/snapper either).

Chase is a TROLL !!! Chase loves Jameis Winston and Ronald Darby !! Just because they were 5 star recruits coming out of highschool !!

Reactions: Pennick4
My next question is:

Why isn't ANYBODY who covers ND talking about this? Why can't i find a single professional writer/beat/media person highlighting/questioning/covering this issue?

Where's the analysis benchmarking NDs recruits relative to other power programs/gate keepers of the FBS playoff?

Where's the concern of NDs lack of trendiness with the top stars coming out of high school every year?

These are MAJOR issues ... recruiting is a SIGNIFICANT part of the health/trajectory of a football program.

Where's the coverage?

It reminds me of the news here in the USA.
  • We are bombing 8 countries (and are responsible for the death of millions of citizens abroad since the start of our post 9/11 wars)
  • We have 40,000+ citizens dieing per year from lack of healthcare in the US
  • We are the only developed country that doesn't guarantee healthcare to all citizens as a right
  • The 3 richest individuals in the US own more wealth than the next 150 million people in the country combined
  • We live in an oligarchy where a small handful of individuals pretty much buy our elected officials
  • Trump just passed legislation/tax cuts where 80% of the benefits go to the top 1%.

Yet, the only thing you see on the news is some non sense/inconsequential drama about stormy daniels, russia conspiracies, and trump's turnover in his cabinet.

Last edited:
My next question is:

Why isn't ANYBODY who covers ND talking about this? Why can't i find a single professional writer/beat/media person highlighting/questioning/covering this issue?

Where's the analysis benchmarking NDs recruits relative to other power programs/gate keepers of the FBS playoff?

Where's the concern of NDs lack of trendiness with the top stars coming out of high school every year?

These are MAJOR issues ... recruiting is a SIGNIFICANT part of the health/trajectory of a football program.

Where's the coverage?

• We are bombing 8 countries (and are responsible for the death of millions of citizens since the start of our post 9/11 wars)
  • We are the only developed country that doesn't guarantee healthcare to all citizens as a right
  • The 3 richest individuals in the US own more wealth than the next 150 million people in the country combined
  • We live in an oligarchy where a small handful of individuals pretty much buy our elected officials

Yet, the only thing you see on the news is some non sense/inconsequential drama about stormy daniels, russia, and trump's turnover in his cabinet.
they don't have to . you do a fine enough job here boring the masses.

My next question is:

Where's the coverage?

• We are bombing 8 countries (and are responsible for the death of millions of citizens abroad since the start of our post 9/11 wars)
Yep
They die if they healthcare or not
Yep Obamacare is very cost prohibitive take my word for it
Evil rich people
yep
  • Trump just passed legislation/tax cuts where 80% of the benefits go to the top 1%.
Let tax the rich because the poor create the jobs correct

Yet, the only thing you see on the news is some non sense/inconsequential drama about stormy daniels, russia conspiracies, and trump's turnover in his cabinet.

My next question is:

Where's the coverage?

This post puts all your other posts into proper perspective.

Reactions: echowaker

My next question is:

Where's the coverage?

Wow.
These are some of the stupidest posts I've ever seen on this board...and that's saying something with people like @NDIRISH53 , @Get Nasty , @echowaker , and @zonairish around

No one is talking about it, because it's completely unimportant.

And lolololol @ your political takes

The problem for ND is that it is not in the center of a football rich area. ND has to compete nationally. There are not a ton of great local talent that grew up in the shadows of South Bend. The 2nd issue is that ND is a good scholastic school without a rubber stamp admissions process. I am sure every school bends the rules a little bit but Notre Dame does not cheat. Lastly there are a bunch of regional competition. The few players that come up in Indiana and Illinois will have Wisc, MSU, and UM as competition plus any national poachers. I looked at the 2019 class. One guy in Indiana at 95. There is a 5 star up in Grand Rapids MI.

So how is ND going to compete and get a 5 star in LA CA who if he stays local to USC gets a rubber stamp in admissions, can play where he grew up, not have to worry about passing classes, and maybe get some nice side benefits.

Reactions: chaseball
"BREAKING NEWS: ND LANDS 3rd 5 STAR Recruit of 2024 class!"

Chase and all the other negative Nancy's: "Ya, but at ND we really should only be focusing on the 6 stars.... I dont care that they dont exist.... BK needs to figure it out or we need to get (insert up and coming MAC coach of the year) in South Bend so we can start competing with Bama!"

Crazy thread. ND’s overall roster is very strong across the board with better position depth than we’ve had in decades. Not a star gazer, but I sure as hell wish we were successful in signing one or two five star recruits per year, especially on the DL, simply because they have a slightly higher chance of being impactful; albeit coaching and player development is by far more important. That said, the suggestion by Chase that Kelly’s performance should be evaluated on failure to recruit five star players versus on field performance is beyond laughable, and I can’t understand how any ND fan can think this.

No that wasn't my argument.

My argument was that a coach needs to be held accountable for more than just performance on Saturdays.

Not held accountable for one in place of the other.

Brian Kelly is not Chip Kelly or Chris Peterson ... 2 coaches who've been able to compete for championships despite not competing for recruiting national championships.

There's a strong correlation between recruiting results and results on saturday.

When a coach is going on 5 years now without securing the type of recruits necessary to close the gap with the gatekeepers for FBS playoff spots it should be something that heavily influence whether or not the coach has the chops to stay employed at a premiere fbs university.

I don't understand why, despite all the evidence to the contrary, i still have to defend this argument over and over and over again.

It is not an accident that ND can't compete with the first tier of programs in college football while not being able to secure the type of recruits the first tier of programs have success with.

recruiting 5 star/top 100/high 4 star/elite nationally rated talent isn't some thing that is "nice to have" ... it is essential to competing for championships.

When 5 of the top programs in the country are hoarding this talent and you are not (you are on the outside looking in) it DIRECTLY impacts/effects whether or not you will compete for championships during the season.

Last edited:

My argument was that a coach needs to be held accountable for more than just performance on Saturdays.

Brian Kelly is not Chip Kelly or Chris Peterson ... 2 coaches who've been able to compete for championships despite not competing for recruiting national championships.

There's a strong correlation between recruiting results and results on saturday.

When a coach is going on 5 years now without securing the type of recruits necessary to close the gap with the gatekeepers for FBS playoff spots it should be something that heavily influence whether or not the coach has the chops to stay employed at a premiere fbs university.

I don't understand why, despite all the evidence to the contrary, i still have to defend this argument over and over and over again.

It is not an accident that ND can't compete with the first tier of programs in college football while not being able to secure the type of recruits the first tier of programs have success with.

recruiting 5 star/top 100/high 4 star/elite nationally rated talent isn't some thing that is "nice to have" ... it is essential to competing for championships.

When 5 of the top programs in the country are hoarding this talent and you are not (you are on the outside looking in) it DIRECTLY impacts/effects whether or not you will compete for championships during the season.
If the administration is satisfied what can fans do ?

I could swear that ND played in the NC game after the 2012 season. I guess it was just a dream.

Man, I hate to feed into this nonsense, but.....the off-season is boring.

At first your argument was that a coach should be judged on more than just what happens on Saturday's, as if winning multiple national championship with a mix of three and four stars should be considered a failure.

Now...you've changed it to you need to recruit five star players unless your are chip Kelly or Peterson. Which means your first argument is proven false. You basically admit that you SHOULD be judged solely on Saturday performance if you are Peterson or chip but not if you're Brian Kelly.

Also...if you listen to any of the podcasts you will hear the mods on this very site address recruiting...specifically the errors of the van gorder years and the questions at running back now. They don't beat it to death but they address it. I realize you want every major college football article to crucify Kelly, and don't see the lack of such extensive coverage shows how extreme of your position.

Reactions: zonairish and Telx1
You think there's anyone in the ND administration that doesn't want to go undefeated and win a national championship?

Of course not... The question isn't that of want. The question is to what length they are willing to go to achieve what they want.

The answer, evidently, is not nearly as far as at some other places. Personally, that's part of the appeal of Notre Dame for me, although I've laid out in the past some of the ways I'd like to see them do more than they are now.

You think there's anyone in the ND administration that doesn't want to go undefeated and win a national championship?
no. my point is that i don't believe the administration is willing to budge on some of their policies that make it more difficult than others schools to consistently secure the type of players that can help make that happen on a regular basis. notre dame is not on a level playing field with alabama, ohio st. and others when it comes to recruiting.

Wow.
These are some of the stupidest posts I've ever seen on this board...and that's saying something with people like @NDIRISH53 , @Get Nasty , @echowaker , and @zonairish around

No one is talking about it, because it's completely unimportant.

And lolololol @ your political takes
Coming from the genius who thinks Ezekiel Elliott wasn't important when Ohio state won the title

no. my point is that i don't believe the administration is willing to budge on some of their policies that make it more difficult than others schools to consistently secure the type of players that can help make that happen on a regular basis. notre dame is not on a level playing field with alabama, ohio st. and others when it comes to recruiting.
I agree 100% with you an IIO. But that's part of being us, and as IIO said, to many people that's the appealing part.

The sky is falling! The sky is falling! The sky is falling!
So getting 5 stars isn't important? You do realize the goal is to win a national championship right? You do realize you need elite talent all around and/or a heisman caliber QB right?

So getting 5 stars isn't important? You do realize the goal is to win a national championship right? You do realize you need elite talent all around and/or a heisman caliber QB right?
you do realize the administration is not going to budge on their policies that makes attracting those types of players extremely difficult right ?

Reactions: spenna
My next question is:

Where's the coverage?

Chase chase chase... @FriedmanIP paychecks went from $250 a week to $260 a week! Tell him the tax cuts didn't work.

No school, not even Alabama, has 5 star guys at every position.

you do realize the administration is not going to budge on their policies that makes attracting those types of players extremely difficult right ?
Then stop lying and saying the goal is to win a national championship. There are plenty of 5 stars who are great kids and smart... Actually most are good solid kids.

No school, not even Alabama, has 5 star guys at every position.
Dude, nobody said anything about 5 stars at every position. ND should land about 2 a class, preferably a skill guy or defensive player, these kids laugh at the notion of going to notre dame.

Then stop lying and saying the goal is to win a national championship. There are plenty of 5 stars who are great kids and smart... Actually most are good solid kids.
that is the goal. difficult to attain for sure given the circumstances. good kids don't always want to try an tackle the obstacles at notre dame that other schools don't present. ND is recruiting most of them but landing them is difficult because of the policies in place. it's the reality.

ADVERTISEMENT