ADVERTISEMENT

Cubs !

rgc7

Posts Like A Champion
Jun 23, 2012
wow ! this old Yankee fan will be rooting for the Cubs ! Lou is also happy. !

I support the Cub players and organization 100%. The Cub fans don't deserve this though. They bullied and turned on one of their own for a simple foul ball and now, years later, no Cub fan wants to own up to it. It was hilarious seeing Larry King sitting behind home plate at Dodger stadium last week for the Cubs series.

I support the Cub players and organization 100%. The Cub fans don't deserve this though. They bullied and turned on one of their own for a simple foul ball and now, years later, no Cub fan wants to own up to it. It was hilarious seeing Larry King sitting behind home plate at Dodger stadium last week for the Cubs series.

Way to paint with a broad brush.

I know a lot of Cubs fans who dislike how Steve Bartman was treated.

Reactions: BettisND
Almost ALL Cub fans I know hated how that went down. It was a terrible look, no doubt.

For what it's worth, there were a lot of bad Cubs fans at that time, and still too many bring up his name, though I think it's a significant minority at this point that actually find him at fault.

I'm not sure if there's a fan base that is 100% innocent in situations like this. Too often we read of a college kicker missing a potential game-winning field goal who goes back to his email after the game, only to find death threats from idiots.

Reactions: captstabbin
I know Cub fans who have very short memories of the events. They were part of the verbal lynch mob then, deny it now. At the time, I lost count how many Cub fans I had to talk down from the mob mentality the very next morning while they conveniently gave Alex Gonzales a pass. The pro Bartman fans sure weren't vocal at the time.

I was told by 2 different, unreliable sources that Bartman was a ND grad. Does anyone know if that is true?

Looking for the Indians to continue a story-like fantasy going on in Cleveland and win it -- then they come crashing back to earth when all it has are the Browns!

Can someone please explain how a grown man who happens to be a professional major league pitcher and possible Cy Young winner can't throw the ball to first base when a runner is caught off base and staring right at the pitcher? This is ridiculous. Taco Bell hates it when Lester is on the mound. The guy behind the plate last night needs to be sent to Single A ball because he wouldn't know the strike zone if it came and bit him in the butt.

chiefwahoo.jpg

As a Jays fan, I don't want anyone else to win, but between these 2, I don't want the Cubs to win. Not in the life time of All Cubs fans who were around when the Bartman incident happened. That was really wrong. Once they are all dead, I hope the Cubs do win it the very next year.

Most fan bases starved for a championship would've responded the same way to bartman. Not saying it was right but people were looking for something to blame. Red sox were equally as awful to buckner.

Most fan bases starved for a championship would've responded the same way to bartman. Not saying it was right but people were looking for something to blame. Red sox were equally as awful to buckner.

Fans, by definition, are often fanatical. There were a lot of Cubs fans in the heat of the moment who were ticked at Steve Bartman. I, admittedly, was one of them at the time. With a bit of perspective (such as, a couple of hours in my instance), it was easy to realize for a number of fans that they probably would have done the same thing.

There are still some fans that bring up his name, unfortunately, but as you mention, people do the same to Bill Buckner. Or Scott Norwood.

Reactions: jepem
As a lifelong Cubs / White Sox fan, I found it unacceptable at the time, and now, the way Steve Bartman was treated by the national and Chicago media and the Cub fans. Thankfully, the Cubs, as an organization, would have none of it and did their best to protect Steve from the mob. This starved fan base acted as though they didn't have a brain in their head .No clue. Bully mob mentality ruled over a harmless foul ball. This starved fan base found a reason to blame a humble fan but completely looked the other way of the error by Cubs SS Alex Gonzales. An error that opened the flood gates later that inning. Buckner was a player who muffed an actual play. Bartman was a fan who was involved in a simple foul ball that meant nothing. Gonzales was a player who screwed up a double play ball that led to the whole darn disaster. And the media hounded Bartman at his home, at his job, and at his Little League where he coached. I would tell all of them to get screwed. If Steve would return to Wrigley with fanfare, all it would take would be a Cubs loss or two for the media and fan base to blame the poor guy all over again.

Or Pete Bercich

Right. Guy had a great season for us and is only remembered for a dropping a potential interception. What about the guys who failed to cover the onside kick? What about the guys who got the excessive celebration penalty after we scored to take the lead?

As a lifelong Cubs / White Sox fan, I found it unacceptable at the time, and now, the way Steve Bartman was treated by the national and Chicago media and the Cub fans. Thankfully, the Cubs, as an organization, would have none of it and did their best to protect Steve from the mob. This starved fan base acted as though they didn't have a brain in their head .No clue. Bully mob mentality ruled over a harmless foul ball. This starved fan base found a reason to blame a humble fan but completely looked the other way of the error by Cubs SS Alex Gonzales. An error that opened the flood gates later that inning. Buckner was a player who muffed an actual play. Bartman was a fan who was involved in a simple foul ball that meant nothing. Gonzales was a player who screwed up a double play ball that led to the whole darn disaster. And the media hounded Bartman at his home, at his job, and at his Little League where he coached. I would tell all of them to get screwed. If Steve would return to Wrigley with fanfare, all it would take would be a Cubs loss or two for the media and fan base to blame the poor guy all over again.

Cubs/White Sox fan? I think that's the first time I've ever heard that.

I was a Cubs fan but moved east and got over them, but I always thought the White Sox were really Chicago's team with their gritty old ballpark in the working class heart of a working class city. The Cubs were definitely, as someone said above, the darlings of the white wine and cheese crowd.

I'm from NW Indiana and never had that North side / South side rivalry that Chicagoans had. I grew up watching both Cubs and White Sox on WGN with the late great Jack Brickhouse in the TV booth. I had the great joy of attending many games of both teams. One thing hardly, if ever, mentioned about tonight's game. This is the first World Series night game ever to be played in Wrigley. Wind is blowing out with possible gusts up to 30 mph. Bombs away.

The Cubs have to be more disciplined at the plate. They are swinging at pitches that don't reach the plate or pitches up at eye level. I would think they'll be OK the rest of the way if they just swing at the close ones. Hope springs eternal! I'm sick of next years!

The Cubs have to be more disciplined at the plate. They are swinging at pitches that don't reach the plate or pitches up at eye level. I would think they'll be OK the rest of the way if they just swing at the close ones. Hope springs eternal! I'm sick of next years!

Never say never, I guess, but I got a feeling you are looking at another next year, unless the Cub batters turn it around in a hurry. Two shutouts and stranding something like 13 men on base in game two is not championship baseball.

Never say never, I guess, but I got a feeling you are looking at another next year, unless the Cub batters turn it around in a hurry. Two shutouts and stranding something like 13 men on base in game two is not championship baseball.

It can change in a hurry. The Cubs looked awful in Games 2 and 3 against LA, and then the offense had no issues during the remainder of the series.

After all these lean years for the Cubs , and since my Yankees are out of everything , I got to root for the Cubs ! Go Cubs !

It can change in a hurry. The Cubs looked awful in Games 2 and 3 against LA, and then the offense had no issues during the remainder of the series.

That is true. As a recovering Cub fan, I'd like to see Chicago win, but I won't lose a minute's sleep if Cleveland wins and would probably root for the Indians if they were playing just about any other team.

Down 7-2 in the 9th in game four, it ain't lookin' too good. They won three straight against the Dodgers though!

That is true. As a recovering Cub fan, I'd like to see Chicago win, but I won't lose a minute's sleep if Cleveland wins and would probably root for the Indians if they were playing just about any other team.

It's kind of weird for Cleveland; had they played anyone else, they would probably be the overwhelming sentimental favorites to win.

Being a life time Yankee Fan, I usually root for tha American League Team to win the World Series,
but this year, as you all know, I am rooting for the Cubs because they have not been in a World Since
the time Babe Ruth Played the game.
question to reall Cub fans: " Do the Cubs have the pitching and the players to win the next 3 games ?

They have the pitching for sure. The hitting, especially from the big guys have been a major disappointment. The Cubs offense has been shut out four times in the play-offs, including twice to the Indians. The Cub batters look completely overwhelmed.

Being a life time Yankee Fan, I usually root for tha American League Team to win the World Series,
but this year, as you all know, I am rooting for the Cubs because they have not been in a World Since
the time Babe Ruth Played the game.
question to reall Cub fans: " Do the Cubs have the pitching and the players to win the next 3 games ?

They definitely do not have the hitting. They apparently can't hit a curveball or slider to save their life. I think some of them have been pressing as well. I wouldn't be surprised if Cleveland clinches tonight.

Well Irishjohn, a perfect example of what I was talking about in the 5th. Bryant on 3rd and Russel can't bring him in with a needed timely hit. All series long stranded base runners. Let's put it this way, even if the Cubs manage to win this one at home, it will be extremely difficult, if not close to impossible to finish off the Indians at their place. Especially when The Tribe will have their very very best on the mound and ready in the bullpen. The Cubs young hitters have not proven they can hit elite big league, World series pitching.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT