ADVERTISEMENT

College football is broken

College football is currently broken. Good leagues find ways to create both a “level playing field” and the opportunity to rise above your competition. Right now the vast majority of programs have to feel like there is no way they can win … that is proven by TCU and Cincy getting run off the field.

When Syracuse best defensive freshman transfers to LSU the game is broken. Every year the elite teams are going to pass their bottom third players down to mid tier teams while they pull up the top third of players from those same mid tier teams. Great coaching can’t overcome that … these guys find and develop hidden gems only to have them grabbed away by the top few teams. The days of Miami going from perennial mid tier team to elite and repeat champion are currently over. We should all be rooting for Coach Prime … if he succeeds if would prove that it is possible to climb out of the pit of mediocrity.
I agree with your ANALYIS, but, to me, it's not the end of the world. I see it simply as CHANGE.

What may eventuate is a true PREMIER LEAGUE on one hand and the rest of college footbal on the other. I realize to some that WON'T FEEL RIGHT, but the game is now FOLLOW THE MONEY. It's been trending this way FOR YEARS.

For those that wish to be elite, the ROAD MAP IS INCREASLINGLY CLEAR. Will ND follow it?

I CAN'T SEE HOW.

I guess you can call it dumbed down. Except it isn’t, as I said it’s progressive. Sure, some athletes never had the culture, so bootstrap them into one…yes, for football.

Apparently I’m alone on this thinking.
I don't think so, I've heard other ND fans express an interest in a special curriculum or something of that nature for football players, at least for ND players. On account of what a demanding thing it is to be a CFB player as well as full-time student. But it seems like ND players do fine academically. Half of the graduate in three years it seems like....

To me, it seems schools from the south (with a few exceptions) are simply willing to pull out all the stops to field great teams, whether that be through paying up for the best coaches, relentless recruiting and culling those players who won't make a difference, impossible-to-fail classes, etc, etc.

It's a cultural thing, the desire to win at any cost. I bet you couldn't find three Georgia fans who give it a second thought.

You can also see it at some others. Ohio State and USC come to mind. A friend of mine who attended USC in the '70s said after Anthony Davis scored six TDs against ND in '72, he was driving around campus in a brand new white Eldorado. When Adrian Dantley showed up at ND with a new Corvette, my friends said everyone knew he had turned pro and would not be back.

I see ND as being permanently a notch below that level. I just don't see the administration being willing to sell out, and quite honestly, I don't know of too many alums who would want that either.

That's different from back in the day. I'd argue the school did everything it could to make sure Rockne and Leahy had all the resources they needed to field top teams. But Hesburgh pretty much put an end to that.

I don't ever see the field being leveled, especially not now with NIL, overt payoffs, practically unlimited transfers, etc
"I see ND as being permanently a notch below that level. I just don't see the administration being willing to sell out, and quite honestly, I don't know of too many alums who would want that either.

"That's different from back in the day. I'd argue the school did everything it could to make sure Rockne and Leahy had all the resources they needed to field top teams. But Hesburgh pretty much put an end to that.

"I don't ever see the field being leveled, especially not now with NIL, overt payoffs, practically unlimited transfers, etc."

Thanks for the CANDOR, HONESTY and INSIGHT.

Agreed. One idea I’ve heard and can see working is not letting our players get their degree in 3 years. Keep it a 4 year rigor . Reason is it will help retain those 4-5 senior players that are the difference makers. These players obviously came here because they value the ND degree. It may not work in all instances but it definitely encourages staying a full 4 years instead of leaving early . We lose a lot of senior talent early because they got the degree and there is nothing more to do here and they move on. Jmo. What do you guys think ?
FOLLOW THE MONEY.

"I see ND as being permanently a notch below that level. I just don't see the administration being willing to sell out, and quite honestly, I don't know of too many alums who would want that either.

"That's different from back in the day. I'd argue the school did everything it could to make sure Rockne and Leahy had all the resources they needed to field top teams. But Hesburgh pretty much put an end to that.

"I don't ever see the field being leveled, especially not now with NIL, overt payoffs, practically unlimited transfers, etc."

Thanks for the CANDOR, HONESTY and INSIGHT.
Read the book "2 Million Bricks". Rockne didn't have it that easy and Hesburgh hired Ara. The answer is not so simple.

I don't think so, I've heard other ND fans express an interest in a special curriculum or something of that nature for football players, at least for ND players. On account of what a demanding thing it is to be a CFB player as well as full-time student. But it seems like ND players do fine academically. Half of the graduate in three years it seems like....
When I was at ND, we had a fellow architecture student, Don Gmitter (sp?) who was an all star football player. He graduated in architecture and had a successful architectural practice afterwards. It took a great deal of work but he did it. There were a number of others who excelled in both football and academics including Alan Page, Jim Lynch etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT