ADVERTISEMENT

Can we start holding ND/Brian Kelly accountable for mediocre recruiting?

Because OSU only graduates 64 % of their football players, 41% of their black football players, ND graduates 90+ %.

The academic demands are too rigorous

Weis was winning graduation rate championships while pulling in top 5 classes from 2006-2008.

Last edited:
This is false.

ND is multiple tiers away from recruiting among the Alabama/OSU/USC/Texas A&M/Georgia tier.

I've broken down the data, posted charts, and have done enough research/writing on the subject to publish a book.

How can you post intelligently about different things, but post these type of things?

Ohio State can A) recruit from a huge population base in Ohio itself and usually land a few 4 stars and B) recruit from a large region of the Midwest to the East (Pennsylvania) and C) has always traditionally recruited California and Texas to pluck a few 4/5 star kids.

The academic requirements at Ohio State are much different than they are at ND.

USC recruits in California. Texas A &M recruits Texas. Georgia recruits Georgia. Have you been on these campuses? Holy lord go there and see why recruits migh want to go there.

As a proud alum, I love ND and everything it represents. But I’m not the guy schools recruit to win college football games, those guys are looking for something else and that’s fine. Other schools provide that better than we ever could

Fired and replaced by a coach who hits the pavement on the recruiting trail and grinds hard for the best players in the country.
So, you're going to fire a coach that went 12-1?

You are one of the biggest fair-weather fans on this board, pal.

So, you're going to fire a coach that went 12-1?

You are one of the biggest fair-weather fans on this board, pal.

I can careless about the record. We have 10 years of Brian Kelly's track record to get a really solid idea of what his baseline is. And that baseline isn't good enough to have ND in any real contention for national titles.

Kelly started off getting marquee players recruiting wise.

Aaron Lynch
Stephon Tuitt
Ishaq Williams

It seems we don’t even attempt to get those players anymore. We look for “fits” that are close, but not the real difference makers.

My biggest problem is the lack of players with a killer instinct and I wholeheartedly think that is a reflection of the coaching staff. I’ll go back to the USC game as evidence. When a #3 team allows a 5-6 team dictate the terms of a football game hoping they beat themselves, it’s not a dominant team IMO. In the third quarter today, our players turned it off and waited for the clock to run out. The Clemson players were in full attack mode and wanted more. That’s how our team should play. EVERY freaking game.

As a recruit, do you want to ride the bench for two years at ND, or do you want to be put right into the rotation and play a minimum of four games at a Clemson or Bama? These guys are HS all stars. They don’t want to sit and wait their turn.

It's funny, all of these excuses are the same exact ones ND fans used to hear when Bob Davie stopped pulling in top classes and Willingham was failing to recruit at ND. Then Weis came in and destroyed all those excuses/myths about athletes not coming to ND anymore.

Weis didn’t destroy jack! He got a couple big time players but teams like Bama, Clemson, Georgia, get 2-4 5 star recruits each season with a bunch of 4 stars that are basically on the cut. Just go look at the number of players these programs get from the Rivals top 100, they’ll each get around 6-10% of the top players in the country. Now add that over 3-4 years and you have play makers all over the field like you see tonight with Bama.

Weis didn’t destroy jack! He got a couple big time players but teams like Bama, Clemson, Georgia, get 2-4 5 star recruits each season with a bunch of 4 stars that are basically on the cut. Just go look at the number of players these programs get from the Rivals top 100, they’ll each get around 6-10% of the top players in the country. Now add that over 3-4 years and you have play makers all over the field like you see tonight with Bama.

Weis was recruiting with the best programs in the country neck and neck from 2006-2008. ND had as many as 10 top 100 recruits per class during that time. He didn't develop those players but he got those big time 40+ offer kids to sign here in bunches.

Nobody wants to play in the midwest with the 1970s schemes. Just get used to sucking. It's what you do when you have to play a real team.

You probably lost to the 4th best team in the country, in a game that they shut down in the second half.

It's wonderful. Pure joy watching your little media hype team get exposed.
Wow. Such bitterness. Sign of a loser. You. Not your team.

What did those recruiting classes do for ND? My opinion, ND wasn't overwhelmed by personnel, recruiting, athletically. They failed to execute on key opportunities early and the Clemson took advantage
no Clemsons multiple five stars > ND 3-4 stars.

ND has talent to compete. Stop already. They didn’t execute. There were missed chances. Dropped passes, missed blocks, ball security. It’s all part of the game and the Irish did not play clean. I don’t agree Clemson was so overwhelming. They won and that’s it. The last 2.5 minutes in the first half was huge and that turned the entire game. No excuses from me. Kudos to the tigers. Hopefully ND can learn and get better. Go Irish!!

Randy moss and Jerome Bettis were on board. We did it back then, we can do it now. Stop with these excuses

You forgot about the 4 Horseman & George Gipp.

Your “we did it 30 years ago, so we can do it now” reasoning has run its course. Times have changed. The simple fact is the top talent doesn’t want to come to ND. They turn down scholarships every year.

Do I think we could have a coach who can improve our recruiting? Sure. But trying to get top talent to a small, religious, academic institution in Indiana when college football has adapted to a world where these kids are basically Hollywood superstars is no small task. I’m not saying we can’t get some great kids, but we certainly aren’t getting enough. It takes a special kid to want to go to ND, especially since many don’t grow up a diehard like all of us.

I think we could’ve beaten Clemson with our current players tonight. I’m not using recruiting as an excuse. I think chip long called a terrible game offensively, in particular on 3rd down. But if we’re going to talk about recruiting and talent, we need to figure out why we’re not getting the top talent, and “we used to in the 70s/80s/90s” excuse needs to go away forever. Times have changed.

Because OSU only graduates 64 % of their football players, 41% of their black football players, ND graduates 90+ %.

The academic demands are too rigorous

No it is not. ND is probably the best actual college football team in the country! It is not the best football team in semi pro FBS football.

Ohio State arguably is the most talent rich program in the country the last 5 years. And they are a midwest program. If they can do it, why can't ND?
Public school in a big city, different campus life, 50,000 students to name a few.

Plus with all that going for OSU Urban could add gobs of Florida and Georgia talent that ND can’t attract. See the Bosa kids.

You forgot about the 4 Horseman & George Gipp.

Your “we did it 30 years ago, so we can do it now” reasoning has run its course. Times have changed. The simple fact is the top talent doesn’t want to come to ND. They turn down scholarships every year.

Do I think we could have a coach who can improve our recruiting? Sure. But trying to get top talent to a small, religious, academic institution in Indiana when college football has adapted to a world where these kids are basically Hollywood superstars is no small task. I’m not saying we can’t get some great kids, but we certainly aren’t getting enough. It takes a special kid to want to go to ND, especially since many don’t grow up a diehard like all of us.

I think we could’ve beaten Clemson with our current players tonight. I’m not using recruiting as an excuse. I think chip long called a terrible game offensively, in particular on 3rd down. But if we’re going to talk about recruiting and talent, we need to figure out why we’re not getting the top talent, and “we used to in the 70s/80s/90s” excuse needs to go away forever. Times have changed.
I think if we played Clemson 100 times we’d beat them many’s 7 or 8. I literally do not think Notre Dame could beat Alabama once if they played 100 times, and I’m very serious about that.

This is the result of being the last to adapt for 30 years.

Texas A&M is now recruiting top 5 classes with Jimbo Fisher.
Kirby Smart turned Georgia into a recruiting juggernaut.
Dabo Swinney is now recruiting 5 star/top 100 talent in bunches.

to name just two recent examples. There are many more.

A coach has a big impact on creating a trendy program and grinding hard to convince the best players to play for them.

You're beyond help

Look! this year was a huge success. This staff is the best staff since Ara/Lou era. And the DC / S&C coaching is outstranding. Kelly is not not micro managing and doing the things he does best.
Given the known constraints ND cannot do better for a staff.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT