ADVERTISEMENT

Can we all agree that we need an offensive coordinator that excites the best 17-22 year old prospects & attracts them to Notre dame?

I believe NDs academic strictness and reputation is a benefit to recruiting and not a hinderance. We've concocted this narrative (an ND fan only narrative) that most of the top prospects in the sport are braindead non-students but there's nothing out there to substantiate this. It's all speculation hearsay and propaganda.
Nope not saying they are brain dead or poor students, but as they say in Columbus, they didn't go to OSU to play school.

Reactions: Pennick4
I find the arguments curious about the Midwest about a little private school about poor old little Notre Dame about the weather etc etc

All of those things have been the case over the 125 year history of Notre Dame football

Despite that Notre Dame has a top five most successful football program all time

They're up there with national titles with Heisman trophy winners with all Americans with NFL Hall of famers with NFL draftees etc etc etc

Obviously the last 30 years have been a complete and utter failure but prior to that Notre Dame was the most dominant football program in the history of the sport

You don't get to that point without dominating the recruiting rankings without monopolizing the talent coming out of high school over a number of various eras and decades.

There is no reason why Notre Dame shouldn't be out in front of the sport creatively capturing the best prospects in American football Coast to Coast high School to high school.

It's not because they can't recruit and attract five-star talent it's because they are strategically being out maneuvered by the rest of the field who is capturing that talent better than Notre Dame is presently

This can be changed for the better with the right talent in place all the way up the Notre Dame Football food chain to the university leadership itself.

This can be changed with the right culture in place this can be changed with the right message in place with the right people in place

I have no clue as to why Notre Dame fans have put up a white flag and have conceded the game's best prospects to other programs for some of the stupidest reasons and excuses and using some of the worst logic I have personally ever heard
You need to take this up with ND's ADMIN. Who HERE can make these CHANGES? I know that these boards serve as a kind of WAILING WALL for all of us, but what is the BATTLE that WE, SPECIFICALLY, are engaged in where a white flag is being waved? We have the power to field some kind of FOOTBALL LOBBY?

You're speaking to the POWERLESS and in a sense -- and I don't mean this as an ACCUSATION -- exhorting people to line up with what you regard as a SIMPLE, SELF-EVIDENT FIX.

But if that's so, WHY HASN'T IT HAPPENED ALREADY? And why do you expect it to happen now?

I would venture that THE POWERS THAT BE DON'T SHARE YOUR CONCERN. ND has its PARAMETERS and since REINFORCING THEM at the end of the Holtz regime, it's pretty much stuck to them.

If you're merely arguing that THINGS COULD BE BETTER, then who would dispute it? But if you're suggesting that because things are not changing the way YOU ENVISION THEY COULD, that somehow the average supporter here is somehow dropping the ball, if only MENTALLY . . . then, honestly, why waste your time?

Problem is, you have a VISION you have no means of REALIZING. Nor can anyone here HELP YOU. As I said, take it up with ND's ADMIN. And I'm SERIOUS. Write to someone, and see how high up the chain you get. And be sure to present your power ratings data, etc. Otherwise, it's just another RAIN DANCE, right?

Because NO ONE with any CLOUT is listening.

Last edited:
Reactions: NDinNJ
This isn't really a response to this post specifically but just more generally speaking I think where we diverge is that you think Notre Dame is institutionally limited and that is what is preventing them from achieving their recruiting goals

my take is that it isn't an institutional limitation but rather a personnel limitation E.G. Notre Dame doesn't have the right people in place in leadership positions to attract the best football talent in the country

The former cannot be changed the latter can be changed with the right leadership and Notre Dame just replaced Jack swarbrick and father Jenkins
And I would argue that ND knows EXACTLY what it is doing.

It wouldn't surprise me. Saban has been dominant in do or die situations. and they still have the most talented roster in the country even if they've underperformed it this season.

I think Alabama is more beatable this season than they have been in the last 15 years though
"Underperformed?" They're 12-1 and SEC champions.

Reactions: Pennick4
We definitely need to capture more of the market share of talent especially the prospects that are ranked in the top 100 or so

I believe this is something you can do with an OC hire

Find a OC that recruits hardcore, that is a star in the coaching ranks, maybe a guy billed as a HC in waiting, etc.

Bring in a guy who has a reputation for recruiting above a program's baseline who has a style of offense that attracts the best prospects in the country (usually a pro style offense)

Will Notre Dame actually do any of this? Zero chance
Marcus is getting there, Chase. (I know it will never be enough for you, but he just had the three best classes (excepting the 2013 stellar group) in consecutive years since 2010! Highest rated QB since Gunnar Keil, Highest rated RB since....? (Kedren is ranked higher than Love!) Highest rated LB since Jaylon (or Sneed?) Highest rated safety since Hamilton. And, for the second year in a row a Top Five OT.

"Underperformed?" They're 12-1 and SEC champions.
He just means they had some shaky specific performances by their standards. And no disrespect to Rees, but it was on the offensive side of the ball. Defensively they seemed typically dominant.

He just means they had some shaky specific performances by their standards. And no disrespect to Rees, but it was on the offensive side of the ball. Defensively they seemed typically dominant.
Record-wise, it was just a typical year for them. They average about a loss per season. Saban hasn't had many undefeated seasons.

But their shaky offensive games were early on, with a young offense and a new QB. They got better as the season went along, obviously.

Record-wise, it was just a typical year for them. They average about a loss per season. Saban hasn't had many undefeated seasons.

But their shaky offensive games were early on, with a young offense and a new QB. They got better as the season went along, obviously.
That's very true. Even though they pretty much lost to Auburn with another at least somewhat questionable offensive performance on the last game of the season. They did put 42 up on LSU, but LSU had a historically poor defense....

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT