ADVERTISEMENT

Additions And Deletions To The 2018 Recruiting Board

Tillery, Mustipfer Bars and Tranquill all return. They are not going to go pro. heck I wouldn t be surprised if Nelson stayed. He loves ND that much ! I thought ESB was a pre-season lock to go pro but not anymore. Adams is gone. The story abut his mom says a lot. Watkins ? No shot . He might not even start next year over Pride. The 2018-19 team will be a pre -season number 1-5 team.

Quenton Nelson is not coming back lol. He could be the first or second lineman off he board this year and is a 1st round lock. He's going to destroy the combine as well as a 325lb guard. It's his time to go pro and start in The League from day one.

Nick Watkins will be invited back if he wants to be in South Bend for a 5th year. The kid has 7 passes defended thus far this year and a key interception. Troy Pride adds a speed element to the nickel package that enables you to get Crawford and Love matched up where you want but Watkins is still a really solid player in ND's base defense. He's also a great kid and his teammates really enjoy being around him. You can never have enough secondary depth.

Love the idea of a back 7 that looks like this...

BC: Julian Love
2. Shaun Crawford
3. Donte Vaughn

FC: Nick Watkins
2. Troy Pride
3. Kyler Gordon (fingers crossed)

FS: Nick Coleman
2. Devin Studstill
3. Isaiah Robertson

SS: Jalen Elliot
2. Derrik Allen
3. Jordan Genmark-Heath

NB: Shaun Crawford
2. Troy Pride
3. Kyler Gordon (fingers still crossed)

Rover: Drue Tranquill
2. Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah
3. Shayne Simon

Buck: Te'Von Coney
2. Asmar Bilal
3. Jack Lamb

Mike: Jamir Jones
2. Jhonathan Jones
3. Drew White

That's a very deep group, with the only question mark coming at at Mike linebacker where one of the two Jones' has to step up to replace Nyles Morgan.

Last edited:
Alontae Taylor has taken off his twitter that he is a Tennessee commit and has a picture of him in a ND uniform on his twitter...plus a bunch of retweets and cryptic messages....

https://twitter.com/taetaylor6?lang=en

Kid is a KeiVarae Russell type that could help ND on either side of the ball as either a boundary corner in the secondary or a so we receiver on offense. Great athlete.

Kid is a KeiVarae Russell type that could help ND on either side of the ball as either a boundary corner in the secondary or a so we receiver on offense. Great athlete.
IIO...did you see where Cade Mays is now scheduled to get on campus for the Echoes banquet?

Don't you think that would be crazy? RBs have such a short shelf life in the NFL -- he has an Adrian Peterson type body which in many cases seems to lead to shorter careers -- that said I've been so very impressed with his inside runs. Not the home runs but the three or four yard runs that he turns into seven or eight. Feels like that will work in the NFL.
Body is nothing like Peterson! Closer example, call me crazy as i tried to envisage a back that was similiar. Found the perfect comparison. Size, running style, body build.

ERIC DICKERSON watch a clip and tell me I'm off?

Body is nothing like Peterson! Closer example, call me crazy as i tried to envisage a back that was similiar. Found the perfect comparison. Size, running style, body build.

ERIC DICKERSON watch a clip and tell me I'm off?
Not off, but two years late. Bodi was using the Erik Dickerson comparison two years ago!

Reactions: Bodizephax
IIO...did you see where Cade Mays is now scheduled to get on campus for the Echoes banquet?

Yep. That visit has been in the works for a while. Clemson is the presumed leader if he doesn't end up at Tennessee. Georgia and Ohio State will also get visits. Elite offensive tackle prospect. ND's up against all the big boys in that recruitment. At least we're going to get a shot.

Yes, he visited. I'd guess Oklahoma, however, if he flips from Nebraska... Guys that had previous interest in ND that I'd like to see ND make a run at poaching that are committed elsewhere...

5 star OT Cade Mays (Tennessee)
4 star S Trey Dean (Tennessee)
4 star CB Alontae Taylor (Tennesse)
4 star WR Josh Moore (Nebraska)
4 star CB Bookie Radley-Hiles (Nebraska)
4 star CB Houston Griffith (FSU)
4 star CB Noah Boykin (Maryland)
4 star LB Payton Wilson (North Carolina)
4 star OG PJ Mustipher (Penn State)
4 star CB Olaijah Griffin (UCLA)
4 star DE Abdul-Malik McClain (UCLA)
4 star DE Devin O'Rourke (Northwestern)

Poaching any of those guy as would be big game hunting that ND needs to take advantage of. Remember that when ND shit the bed last year they had 2 key recruits poached out of their class down the stretch and they've already had Lenzy poached this year. 4 months until signing day. Time to really star digging in and getting the best possible players to fill out the rest of the class.
http://journalstar.com/sports/huske...cle_9d513ed1-3a4e-508b-a587-9eaac51d17ea.html

Hoping staff gives it another shot. Clearly weather was not the issue since Lincoln and South Bend are pretty similar.

Quenton Nelson is not coming back lol. He could be the first or second lineman off he board this year and is a 1st round lock. He's going to destroy the combine as well as a 325lb guard. It's his time to go pro and start in The League from day one.

Nick Watkins will be invited back if he wants to be in South Bend for a 5th year. The kid has 7 passes defended thus far this year and a key interception. Troy Pride adds a speed element to the nickel package that enables you to get Crawford and Love matched up where you want but Watkins is still a really solid player in ND's base defense. He's also a great kid and his teammates really enjoy being around him. You can never have enough secondary depth.

Love the idea of a back 7 that looks like this...

2. Shaun Crawford
3. Donte Vaughn

2. Troy Pride
3. Kyler Gordon (fingers crossed)

2. Devin Studstill
3. Isaiah Robertson

2. Derrik Allen
3. Jordan Genmark-Heath

NB: Shaun Crawford
2. Troy Pride
3. Kyler Gordon (fingers still crossed)

2. Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah
3. Shayne Simon

2. Asmar Bilal
3. Jack Lamb

2. Jhonathan Jones
3. Drew White

That's a very deep group, with the only question mark coming at at Mike linebacker where one of the two Jones' has to step up to replace Nyles Morgan.

Hey IIO -- you forgot Aholi Gilman! He might steal a starting spot, right?

Hey IIO -- you forgot Aholi Gilman! He might steal a starting spot, right?

I did forget Gilman, thank you!

I don't have Gilman starting over Coleman or Elliot, and I would be shocked If he isn't passed by Derrik Allen as well. I think Gilman will be in a battle with Studstill for the 4th safety spot (the last spot in the rotation).

Safety depth is going to go from a huge question mark at the beginning of this year, to a team strength in 2018... Elko coaches the position personally, so we shouldn't be surprised.

Well said. Thanks. I have a feeling Tillery is gone but like the depth on the d-line. The big question mark is Tranquill. Sure would be nice to have the captain returning in Drue & add Tevon as the new defensive captains!

If the defense looks like the following, it will be pretty elite...

WDE: Daelin Hayes
2. Julian Okwara

DT: John Bonner
2. Jayson Ademilola

NG: Jerry Tillery
2. Myron Tagavailoa-Amosa

SDE: Jay Hayes
2. Khalid Kareem

2. Asmar Bilal

2. Jhonathan Jones

2. Jeremiah Owusu-Koromoah / Shayne Simon

2. Troy Pride

2. Derrik Allen

2. Devin Studstill / Alohi Gilman

2. Shaun Crawford

Thanks for the insight as always. I am one of the ones in the camp of Alohi and believe he will win a starting job next year based on his experience, leadership and having a year of getting to learn the D. I also am very confident that Tillery will be back next year. He loves being in college and has seen a nice improvement year from So to Jr. I see him becoming a truly dominant player next year as he completes his journey, gets additional help on the line and gets even stronger.

I did forget Gilman, thank you!

I don't have Gilman starting over Coleman or Elliot, and I would be shocked If he isn't passed by Derrik Allen as well. I think Gilman will be in a battle with Studstill for the 4th safety spot (the last spot in the rotation).

Safety depth is going to go from a huge question mark at the beginning of this year, to a team strength in 2018... Elko coaches the position personally, so we shouldn't be surprised.
According to Eric Hansen, his feel from the coaching staff was that Gilman was the best safety on the roster and would have started this year if not for the NCAA's decision. The reason the coaching staff didn't talk him up throughout summer and fall camp was specifically because they wanted to operate on the assumption that the NCAA might come back with a ruling against Gilman playing this year. Had they touted Gilman during that time it would have seemed like a big blow against the defense when the NCAA came up with their ruling.

Here's a link to an article Hansen wrote regarding Gilman:

https://www.ndinsider.com/football/...cle_704683e6-8cff-11e7-8839-17ace5af03c3.html

And here's the pertinent paragraph:

Gilman won’t play Saturday, however, when the Irish open the 2017 season against Temple at renovated/reconfigured Notre Dame Stadium. Had Navy’s second-leading tackler in 2016 been granted eligibility, the 5-11, 199-pound sophomore likely would have been a starter at free safety.

Last edited:
According to Eric Hansen, his feel from the coaching staff was that Gilman was the best safety on the roster and would have started this year if not for the NCAA's decision. The reason the coaching staff didn't talk him up throughout summer and fall camp was specifically because they wanted to operate on the assumption that the NCAA might come back with a ruling against Gilman playing this year. Had they touted Gilman during that time it would have seemed like a big blow against the defense when the NCAA came up with their ruling.

https://www.ndinsider.com/football/...cle_704683e6-8cff-11e7-8839-17ace5af03c3.html

Gilman won’t play Saturday, however, when the Irish open the 2017 season against Temple at renovated/reconfigured Notre Dame Stadium. Had Navy’s second-leading tackler in 2016 been granted eligibility, the 5-11, 199-pound sophomore likely would have been a starter at free safety.
I know he says he left because the will to be a Navy officer just wasn't there, but I think it has more to do with the fact he thinks he has a possible NFL career, which probably wouldn't happen with the rules change by the DoD.

I know he says he left because the will to be a Navy officer just wasn't there, but I think it has more to do with the fact he thinks he has a possible NFL career, which probably wouldn't happen with the rules change by the DoD.

He doesn’t have a NFL career ahead.

The analyst that were at practices & have contacts with the team said he was still a situational guy in the secondary this year. Even if eligible he would not be starting, he would be used in certain packages at best.

That last statement (about being a starter) goes against everything all the analyst saw themselves. He would not have been starting.

The analyst that were at practices & have contacts with the team said he was still a situational guy in the secondary this year. Even if eligible he would not be starting, he would be used in certain packages at best.
Guess I've heard mixed opinions on this. Looks like a classic kid that wasn't highly ranked cause he was later to mature. Looked pretty good as a freshman last year for Navy.

That last statement (about being a starter) goes against everything all the analyst saw themselves. He would not have been starting.
You don't think Eric Hansen has close connections with the staff? Analyst or not, he has inside sources that trump almost anyone who isn't actually part of the staff.

Also, is it possible the analysts you are referring to are basing their assessments on the fact that Gilman rarely ran with the first team defense? If so, that was true, but again, according to Hansen and BK himself, the coaching staff was operating on the assumption that Gilman was not going to be granted immediate eligibility this year so they had Coleman running with the 1's to make sure he was ready.

And did you catch BK's comments about Gilman yesterday? He said Gilman "will be an impact player for us next year... He's already having an impact with the scout team." Of course, he's not saying Gilman will start. He would never say that at this point anyway, but he certainly has a very high opinion of him, and you couple that with what Hansen has said the coaching staff has told him I think Hansen is more likely on base and the analysts you are referring to are likely mistaken.

Last edited:
Alontae Taylor offered by Alabama to play CB so looks like this will be his preference....decision scheduled for December 22nd.

How the hell would you know? He played very well at Navy last year and was introduced to a new system. The odds of all college players playing in the NFL are long but the kid played very well in his first year.

I think it's wayyy too early to predict whether or not Gilman will play in the NFL. I'm not too worried though. All I care about is how good he'll be at ND and I think he's a near lock to be a 2-deep safety and an impact special teamer. He's an excellent addition to the team.

All that said, there aren't many 5'10, 200lb safeties who run a 4.65 in the NFL. That says nothing about his ability to impact the college game for the record. The NFL is simply often looking for a different type of athlete. I hope Gilman is the kid who overcomes the odds.

Alohi's style and toughness scream of the type of kid that would make one hell of a scrum half in rugby.

Nobody said he's a lock for the NFL. If his dream is to play in the NFL and the DoD changed it's policy after he committed then that's a decent reason to leave.

Also, glad to see some people can predict the future and say he has no chance.

Plenty of kids have developed later than their peers. Look at his rivals picture from high school to now. The kid grew into a man. Maybe he goes into the draft in 3 years at 5'11" 210 running a 4.5.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/players/_/position/s

Click through the list and notice the size of the players.

Don’t forget Ewell and Hinish in your DL two deep. Wish we would’ve held onto Jeter, but we’re good.

A solid degree, a great position coach (ND players go the NFL and start immediately!), exposure and, if you do your work, a pipeline to the NFL.
I always think to myself.... why wouldn't a recruit wanna go to ND? A ND degree almost guarantees you a six figure salary asap

How the hell would you know? He played very well at Navy last year and was introduced to a new system. The odds of all college players playing in the NFL are long but the kid played very well in his first year.

I don’t know. I’m repeating what the analyst on this very site said. They talked about it multiple times on podcasts, people asked them multiple times during the question & answer sessions, & I personally asked them & got the same response.
I don’t have an opinion either way, but the paid analysts on this site said these things.

You don't think Eric Hansen has close connections with the staff? Analyst or not, he has inside sources that trump almost anyone who isn't actually part of the staff.

Also, is it possible the analysts you are referring to are basing their assessments on the fact that Gilman rarely ran with the first team defense? If so, that was true, but again, according to Hansen and BK himself, the coaching staff was operating on the assumption that Gilman was not going to be granted immediate eligibility this year so they had Coleman running with the 1's to make sure he was ready.

And did you catch BK's comments about Gilman yesterday? He said Gilman "will be an impact player for us next year... He's already having an impact with the scout team." Of course, he's not saying Gilman will start. He would never say that at this point anyway, but he certainly has a very high opinion of him, and you couple that with what Hansen has said the coaching staff has told him I think Hansen is more likely on base and the analysts you are referring to are likely mistaken.

The mods on this site have closer connections. They get honest answers from coaches that Hansen never will.

I’m just repeating what has been said multiple times by the people who get paid to answer these types of questions.

I think it's wayyy too early to predict whether or not Gilman will play in the NFL. I'm not too worried though. All I care about is how good he'll be at ND and I think he's a near lock to be a 2-deep safety and an impact special teamer. He's an excellent addition to the team.

All that said, there aren't many 5'10, 200lb safeties who run a 4.65 in the NFL. That says nothing about his ability to impact the college game for the record. The NFL is simply often looking for a different type of athlete. I hope Gilman is the kid who overcomes the odds.

Alohi's style and toughness scream of the type of kid that would make one hell of a scrum half in rugby.

You put into perfect detail all I was trying to say. But they came after me with pitchforks, lol. Gilman is a great depth guy for two deep & special teams. Talking NFL right now is silly. And I’m not an expert or evaluator like you or coach D, but I repeat what you guys teach me & i trust your opinion & all of a sudden I’m the bad guy(by others on the board)? Lol.
I was told point blank that Gilman would not be starting this year if eligible, but would be in the two deep & on special teams.

The mods on this site have closer connections. They get honest answers from coaches that Hansen never will.

I’m just repeating what has been said multiple times by the people who get paid to answer these types of questions.
OK, the mods on this site do NOT have closer connections to the coaches than Hansen. If they claim they do they are wrong but my guess is they don't claim they do. And, no, the coaches are not more honest with the mods from Rivals than they are with the ND beat writer. They know how to talk off the record and Hansen knows how to handle off the record conversations.

I think you would have been OK just saying, "well, the mods told me Gilman wouldn't be starting." Instead you took it further by saying the mods are correct and Hansen is wrong. You have no idea in that instance who would be right and who would be wrong. I don't either but I didn't try to make the claim the mods were wrong. I do know Hansen went on record to say Gilman would have been the likely starter based on what he's heard. I even provided a link. Is their any concrete evidence you can give that the mods on this site were told Gilman was never thought of as a starter?

Reactions: Pennick44
Good lord. The only point was that if Alohi fells that he has a shot at the NFL, then he needed to transfer.

Lets start targeting those 3 four star DBs that UCLA has committed also. That is a mess out there and not getting any better.

OK, the mods on this site do NOT have closer connections to the coaches than Hansen. If they claim they do they are wrong but my guess is they don't claim they do. And, no, the coaches are not more honest with the mods from Rivals than they are with the ND beat writer. They know how to talk off the record and Hansen knows how to handle off the record conversations.

I think you would have been OK just saying, "well, the mods told me Gilman wouldn't be starting." Instead you took it further by saying the mods are correct and Hansen is wrong. You have no idea in that instance who would be right and who would be wrong. I don't either but I didn't try to make the claim the mods were wrong. I do know Hansen went on record to say Gilman would have been the likely starter based on what he's heard. I even provided a link. Is their any concrete evidence you can give that the mods on this site were told Gilman was never thought of as a starter?

I would say the ones who are former coaches, who have personal relationships with the coaches, have a closer relationship.
If you don’t understand that than whatever.
Carry on.

Lets start targeting those 3 four star DBs that UCLA has committed also. That is a mess out there and not getting any better.

Totally agree. Especially Olaijah Griffen. I'd be getting him on campus for the Navy game if his academic profile checks out. The same can be said of Abdul Malik-McClain, the 4 star WDE ND was in on. He reminds me a lot of Julian Okwara.

I would say the ones who are former coaches, who have personal relationships with the coaches, have a closer relationship.
If you don’t understand that than whatever.
Carry on.
Right, it's me not understanding something and not you being obtuse. That has to be it.

By the way, I noticed you couldn't back up your claim... but whatever.

Matthias Farley -- 5-11, 210 (in his final year at ND)
Aholi Gillman -- 5-10 1/2, 1999 (start of the season)

Farley is starting in the NFL and he came to ND as a soccer player! Any comparisons?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT