ADVERTISEMENT

Additions And Deletions To The 2018 Recruiting Board

IrishInOntario

I've posted how many times?
Feb 21, 2009
Just wanted to post an update on who Notre Dame is targeting right now in recruiting to fill the final 7'ish spots in the class. Some new names have been added to the board with ND's success and a few have come off the board as well.

WR
Amon-Ra St. Brown (ND, USC, OSU, Bama)
Chase Cota (Oregon, ND)
Geordon Porter (ND, Utah, ASU, UCLA)
Lawrence Keys (ND, LSU, Auburn)

TE
Tommy Tremble (ND, USCE, UCLA)

OL
Nicholas Petit-Frere (ND, Bama, Florida)
Cade Mays (ND, Tennessee, Bama, OSU, Clemson)

WDE
Joseph Ossai (Texas, Texas A&M, ND)

LB
Solomon Tuliaupupu (ND, OSU, USC)
Payton Wilson (ND, UNC, NC State, Clemson)

S
Avonta Crim (ND, Louisville, Wake Forest)

CB
Kyler Gordon (ND, Washington)
Julius Irvin (ND, Washington, Michigan)
Alontae Taylor (ND, Tennessee)
Noah Boykin (ND, Maryland)
Tariq Bracy (ND, Cal)

Hoping to see 3-4 more big names pop up between now and the end of the season. Targeting Florida's, Tennessee's and Nebraska's commit lists is a good place to start.

Yes, he visited. I'd guess Oklahoma, however, if he flips from Nebraska... Guys that had previous interest in ND that I'd like to see ND make a run at poaching that are committed elsewhere...

5 star OT Cade Mays (Tennessee)
4 star S Trey Dean (Tennessee)
4 star CB Alontae Taylor (Tennesse)
4 star WR Josh Moore (Nebraska)
4 star CB Bookie Radley-Hiles (Nebraska)
4 star CB Houston Griffith (FSU)
4 star CB Noah Boykin (Maryland)
4 star LB Payton Wilson (North Carolina)
4 star OG PJ Mustipher (Penn State)
4 star CB Olaijah Griffin (UCLA)
4 star DE Abdul-Malik McClain (UCLA)
4 star DE Devin O'Rourke (Northwestern)

Poaching any of those guy as would be big game hunting that ND needs to take advantage of. Remember that when ND shit the bed last year they had 2 key recruits poached out of their class down the stretch and they've already had Lenzy poached this year. 4 months until signing day. Time to really star digging in and getting the best possible players to fill out the rest of the class.

IIO, and others here, I read a lot of positive comments coming from Boykin following his visit, but not a single word from Alontae Taylor. I read that he made it to campus last weekend, but nothing more. Any word?

I believe Griffith needs to get in to ND and that could change the game. I am not sure I agree with the Lenzy was poached narrative though. Boykin, Bracy, Gordon would be a nice CB pull if we also add Julius as a swing.

Of all of those guys my two faves in positions of need are Cade Mays and Solomon Tuliaupupu. (And a CB.) We are going to have a very good team next year!

Mays is visiting Clemson. (Does he have any interest in ND?)

Do Not Want UCLA recruits!

Generally I'm ok with passing on all but a couple California kids each year, because no matter how highly they are ranked and how skilled they are, most don't really fit the type of kid I'd like ND to build their team around (tough, mean on the field kids). Olaijah Griffin is a kid I'd love to convince to visit though. Very good corner.

Solomon Tuliaupupu fits your description of tough, mean. (Looks like a USC lock, though.)

N. Carolina has all kinds of 4*s! Their head recruiter is a better salesman than our current president!

Harry needs to remind Cade that the last 5* OG who came ND will be drafted 3rd this year (after earning his ND Degree) and will play for the 4 time Super Bowl Champ NY Football Giants.

I believe Griffith needs to get in to ND and that could change the game. I am not sure I agree with the Lenzy was poached narrative though. Boykin, Bracy, Gordon would be a nice CB pull if we also add Julius as a swing.
Todd Lyght has been disappointing as a recruiter thus far.

Of all of those guys my two faves in positions of need are Cade Mays and Solomon Tuliaupupu. (And a CB.) We are going to have a very good team next year!

Mays is visiting Clemson. (Does he have any interest in ND?)

Mays is likely a Clemson lock at this point if he flips from Tennessee. He'll consider ND, Alabama and Ohio State as well. Don't get your hopes up but fingers crossed that Harry can get him to visit at least.

Tuliaupupu is a great player, but I'll be shocked (in the best way possible) if he leaves the West Coast for anyone other than Ohio State. Gun to my head, I think ND is third there right now behind USC and Ohio State.

The guys I'd love to flip are top 100 linebacker / DE prospect Payton Wilson. 4 star CB / WR Alontae Taylor, 4 star WR Josh Moore and if he could ever get into the school, Derrik Allen's boy, 4 star CB Houston Griffith.

My quasi pipe dream DB haul would be (with Alontae Taylor on offense)...

CB: Houston Griffith
CB: Julius Irvin
CB: Kyler Gordon
S: Derrik Allen
S: Houston Griffith
S: Paul Moala

As for ND in 2018, how good they are depends on who leaves for the NFL... Right now I could see us losing the following starters and key reserves...

RB: Josh Adams
TE: Durham Smythe
LT: Mike McGlinchey
LG: Quenton Nelson
C: Sam Mustipher
G/T: Hunter Bivin
NG: Jerry Tillery
SDE: Jay Hayes
SDE: Andrew Trumbetti
LB: Greer Martini
LB: Nyles Morgan
LB: Drue Tranquill
CB: Nick Watkins

Chances are ND doesn't lose all 13 of those guys, but even losing 11 of them would be tough given the strengths of our current team and ones who are eligible to return that would be the toughest to replace (Mustipher, Tillery, Hayes and Adams). Losing 3/5 offensive lineman would be tough. Losing Tillery has the anchor in the middle of the defense would tough. Adams should go and get rich while he can but He's going to be hard to replace too.

Solomon Tuliaupupu fits your description of tough, mean. (Looks like a USC lock, though.)

N. Carolina has all kinds of 4*s! Their head recruiter is a better salesman than our current president!

Harry needs to remind Cade that the last 5* OG who came ND will be drafted 3rd this year (after earning his ND Degree) and will play for the 4 time Super Bowl Champ NY Football Giants.

North Carolina's 4 stars are in State kids. Until they shit the bed this year they were doing a nice job in their own state. I'd love to land Payton Wilson or Dax Holifield though. Both would significantly upgrade our LB haul.

Yeah, I just don't see us landing Solomon. Hope I'm wrong and he pulls a Manti. Great player.

Todd Lyght has been disappointing as a recruiter thus far.

Yes and no. The class of sophomores he pulled was an excellent haul. That was all he and Elston... The kids really seem to like him. I think last year was more about them not wanting to play for VanGorder's suspect defense. Then we go 4-8 and he has two = star corners flip to other schools who were winning (that can happen to literally anyone).

I think ND is in a great spot for CB recruiting this year after bringing in a new DC, a stable scheme and winning games. Lyght has the CB's playing really solid. They've gotten beat at times but their technique has been good and they are contesting balls all over the field and tackling really well.

I think ND currently leads for Julius Irvin and Kyler Gordon. I wouldn't be shocked if Noah Boykin flipped from Maryland. I feel good about Alontae Taylor if he wants to play defense. I firmly believe that Houston Griffith (who loves Todd Lyght) would already be Irish if grades weren't an issue right now...

I'm not giving up on Lyght yet.

I hope Mustipher and Tillery stay!

Saw Porter CB'd to ASU this morning.

Saw that too. It'll be ASU or ND. Not heartbroken there, honestly. Really good player and I'd like to have him, but ND only needs one more WR in this class and I'd take St. Brown, Cota, Keys or Moore over Porter.

Reactions: TXNDFan88
Since we’re all shopping down the same aisle, I would be very happy with the following:

OL...Petite-Frere
TE...Tommy Tremble
WR...Amon St Brown
LB...Payton Wilson
CB...Kyle Gordon
CB...Noah Boykin
S......Houston Griffith

Mays is likely a Clemson lock at this point if he flips from Tennessee. He'll consider ND, Alabama and Ohio State as well. Don't get your hopes up but fingers crossed that Harry can get him to visit at least.

Tuliaupupu is a great player, but I'll be shocked (in the best way possible) if he leaves the West Coast for anyone other than Ohio State. Gun to my head, I think ND is third there right now behind USC and Ohio State.

The guys I'd love to flip are top 100 linebacker / DE prospect Payton Wilson. 4 star CB / WR Alontae Taylor, 4 star WR Josh Moore and if he could ever get into the school, Derrik Allen's boy, 4 star CB Houston Griffith.

As for ND in 2018, how good they are depends on who leaves for the NFL... Right now I could see us losing the following starters and key reserves...

Chances are ND doesn't lose all 13 of those guys, but even losing 11 of them would be tough given the strengths of our current team and ones who are eligible to return that would be the toughest to replace (Mustipher, Tillery, Hayes and Adams). Losing 3/5 offensive lineman would be tough. Losing Tillery has the anchor in the middle of the defense would tough. Adams should go and get rich while he can but He's going to be hard to replace too.
I thought Tranquill had a 5th year? I was hoping Tranquill, Tillery, Watkins, Newsome and Mustipher would all return for a 5th year! IF so, we should be a very good team again.

Since we’re all shopping down the same aisle, I would be very happy with the following:

OL...Petite-Frere
TE...Tommy Tremble
WR...Amon St Brown
LB...Payton Wilson
CB...Kyle Gordon
CB...Noah Boykin
S......Houston Griffith

I think that is optimistic, but realistic. Based on his grades I think Houston Griffith is probably the least likely and I'd probably replace him with Julius Irvin or Avonta Crim, but in general, we're on the same page.

If I could take 7 that I think we have good chance with right now it would be...

WR: Amon-Ra St. Brown
WR / CB: Alontae Taylor
TE: Tommy Tremble
OT: Nick Petit-Frere
LB/DE: Payton Wilson
CB / S: Julius Irvin

I thought Tranquill had a 5th year? I was hoping Tranquill, Tillery, Watkins, Newsome and Mustipher would all return for a 5th year! IF so, we should be a very good team again.

He does. He's also playing elite football right now and the NFL may take him from us. The same can be said of Sam Mustipher and Jerry Tillery. Even Alex Bars, another senior, may decide to go pro along win his fellow linemates. Enjoy this OL while we have them, we'll be lucky to get 3 of the starting 5 back next year, but it may only be 1-2 of them. Don't be horribly shocked if ND's starting group next year was something like

LT: Liam Eichenberg
LG: Tommy Kraemer
C: Trevor Ruhland
RG: Robert Hainsey
RT: Josh Lugg

It would be an enormous drop off, but it very well could happen.

It's how she goes when kids develop and you have a good football team....

Not sure how I would feel about an offensive line of

RB: Josh Adams (i agree, based on the year he's having, hard to see him staying - but I like our RB stable)
TE: Durham Smythe (Having a solid year, but again we have a lot of talent in the wings)
C: Sam Mustipher (worried because of his great performance but I think he stays)
NG: Jerry Tillery (with the way he's progressed and his love of education, I think and hope he stays and becomes a pretty dominant force in 2018)
SDE: Jay Hayes (same for Jay - he's having a solid year and I don't see him as a "high" draft pick, so hopefully he stays and has a great 2018)
LB: Greer Martini (Great young man but Coney's growth leaves us in a good spot)
LB: Drue Tranquill (I would think he stays)
CB: Nick Watkins (We've seen Irish corners that we thought should stay leave, so who knows - but again, he would benefit from another year)

Guess a lot depends on how the season plays out -- if we go all the way I'll be happy to send them on their way...

Drue is an engineering major, I believe, so his work will be done (unless he decides to get a grad degree.) Is he big enough to play LB in the pros? (Or would he need another year under Balis?)

I was really heartened that both McQ and Nelson came back last year (class move and I will always be grateful as they are the heart and soul of this team). I think it has benefited Nelson in a big way, McQ kinda went sideways but still feel he is one of the top RT recruits.

As always, IIO thanks for the updates. If we can convince Drue, Sam, Jerry and Alex to return we could really be building something special. Josh has my blessings and I feel good about our RBs next year. I think Alize and Eq will be back, right?

Given the influence of his mother, I don't see Adams leaving school early. Especially is he doesn't get the Heisman this year. He would be the CLEAR frontrunner for the award in 2018.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennick44
Given the influence of his mother, I don't see Adams leaving school early. Especially is he doesn't get the Heisman this year. He would be the CLEAR frontrunner for the award in 2018.
Don't you think that would be crazy? RBs have such a short shelf life in the NFL -- he has an Adrian Peterson type body which in many cases seems to lead to shorter careers -- that said I've been so very impressed with his inside runs. Not the home runs but the three or four yard runs that he turns into seven or eight. Feels like that will work in the NFL.

Guess a lot depends on how the season plays out -- if we go all the way I'll be happy to send them on their way...

Drue is an engineering major, I believe, so his work will be done (unless he decides to get a grad degree.) Is he big enough to play LB in the pros? (Or would he need another year under Balis?)

I was really heartened that both McQ and Nelson came back last year (class move and I will always be grateful as they are the heart and soul of this team). I think it has benefited Nelson in a big way, McQ kinda went sideways but still feel he is one of the top RT recruits.

As always, IIO thanks for the updates. If we can convince Drue, Sam, Jerry and Alex to return we could really be building something special. Josh has my blessings and I feel good about our RBs next year. I think Alize and Eq will be back, right?

Aliz'e should be a lock to return. He is just learning to be a tight end. St. Brown is interesting. He'll test well at the combine and he's got prototype size. Hasn't had a great year but it's a bad year for wide receivers in the draft and he could move up the boards. I think it would be in his best interest to come back, challenge himself in the weight room, develop chemistry with Wimbush and try to have a huge senior season.... He'll do his due dilligence though and probably get an NFL Draft grade.

Comes from a family that has struggled financially. Running backs have short shelf lives. He could finish his ND degree at any point. If he gets a 1st or 2nd round draft grade, he has to go. Notre Dame will be fine kid. Take care of your mom for the rest of her life for the countless hours she spent working two jobs while y'all were living in a shelter to get you to where you are today.

Reactions: jcswoopnh
He does. He's also playing elite football right now and the NFL may take him from us. The same can be said of Sam Mustipher and Jerry Tillery. Even Alex Bars, another senior, may decide to go pro along win his fellow linemates. Enjoy this OL while we have them, we'll be lucky to get 3 of the starting 5 back next year, but it may only be 1-2 of them. Don't be horribly shocked if ND's starting group next year was something like

LT: Liam Eichenberg
LG: Tommy Kraemer
C: Trevor Ruhland
RG: Robert Hainsey
RT: Josh Lugg

It would be an enormous drop off, but it very well could happen.

It's how she goes when kids develop and you have a good football team....

Not sure how I would feel about an offensive line of

Going into this season, I would have bet that Mustipher and Bars would return, with little prospect of getting drafted this year. Both are playing the best ball of their college careers by a lot, and I would not be surprised if draft feedback is positive and either or both opted to try the NFL. The lineup you envision if this does happen has some really talented young players, but we all know there is a long development process for OL, and as you say, the drop off next year would be considerable.

As for defense, I think Tillery would improve his draft status significantly by coming back, and not sure he is all that anxious to leave the college scene. I hope like hell that Tranquill does return as he has been consistently excellent week in and week out. Not at all sure his size and skill translates to the pro game, but that may be selfish thinking on my part.

I think guys would be more inclined to leave if we won the NC, and so by all means, let’s hope they have reason to be so inclined.

Don't you think that would be crazy? RBs have such a short shelf life in the NFL -- he has an Adrian Peterson type body which in many cases seems to lead to shorter careers -- that said I've been so very impressed with his inside runs. Not the home runs but the three or four yard runs that he turns into seven or eight. Feels like that will work in the NFL.
Totally agree, and not at all sure he won’t graduate early this year like so many ND players. They enroll every summer and earn credits, and seems like the majority actually get their degree in three years. At any rate, can’t see where next year can be nearly as impressive as this year, especially with losing the best pieces of our OL, and fully expect Adams to move onto the NFL.

Comes from a family that has struggled financially. Running backs have short shelf lives. He could finish his ND degree at any point. If he gets a 1st or 2nd round draft grade, he has to go. Notre Dame will be fine kid. Take care of your mom for the rest of her life for the countless hours she spent working two jobs while y'all were living in a shelter to get you to where you are today.

They live in a nice area of bucks county pa. I used to live a few miles south of them in Horsham

If the line loses 3 or 4 Adams would be better off going pro this year while his stock is up.

They live in a nice area of bucks county pa. I used to live a few miles south of them in Horsham

They may now, but that wasn't always the case... I'd rather see him hit a big pay day and finish his ND degree whenever he wants. He has the chance to take care of his family in a big way.

Reactions: zonairish
They enroll every summer and earn credits, and seems like the majority actually get their degree in three years.

I think 3 1/2 would be the norm for kids on an early track, graduating in December of their 4th year. Might occasionally get a three year kid.

That’s great - honestly not sure why any OL offered wouldn’t seriously consIder playing for Harry based on his results overall, not to mention this year’s performance.

That’s great - honestly not sure why any OL offered wouldn’t seriously consIder playing for Harry based on his results overall, not to mention this year’s performance.

In theory that is perfectly reasonable and I make the same argument all the time. Unfortunately, their is a lot of underhanded things that happen in college football recruiting and these guys are highly "coveted".

I doubt that Mustipher or Bars are going to be rated high enough to consider going pro. I would add Tranquil to that list as well.

A solid degree, a great position coach (ND players go the NFL and start immediately!), exposure and, if you do your work, a pipeline to the NFL.

Tillery, Mustipfer Bars and Tranquill all return. They are not going to go pro. heck I wouldn t be surprised if Nelson stayed. He loves ND that much ! I thought ESB was a pre-season lock to go pro but not anymore. Adams is gone. The story abut his mom says a lot. Watkins ? No shot . He might not even start next year over Pride. The 2018-19 team will be a pre -season number 1-5 team.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT