ADVERTISEMENT

Tommy Rees: Cleveland Browns

He went from Nick Saban to one of the worst run organizations in professional sports. Hopefully the Browns are a stop gap for him until he finds a better position.
Got to remember that the Browns once had Belichick and Saban at the same time. So its not necessarily a dead end for Rees.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Tommy should split after one year. I wouldn’t want to align my career with Deshaun Watson or the Browns.
The Browns and TE position coach had me scratching my head at first. But, he collects a nice $4M for one year with Saban, probably $400-500K next year building his resume in the NFL, takes control of a position group that he understands and utilized exceptionally well at ND, and positions himself to move up the ladder to passing coordinator somewhere else in a year or two. will be interesting to see where Tommy is five years from now. Best to him.

He didn't do a good job there

Not true, he inherited a horrible team from two prior coaches who had a losing records.
And he brought the Browns into the playoffs
The two coaches who followed him also had losing records.

Are you aware of the limited degree of control that Belichick had in his tenure as the Browns coach? ?
Are you aware of the limitations placed on him by Art Modell?
Are you aware of the respective roles of the GM, President, Modell and Belichick during his tenure ?

Unlike in college the head coach doesn’t have the same power in the NFL

This is the type of position, I always felt he was better suited for this early in his career.

Everyone can say what they want, the guy isn't a strong play caller. He showed issues here, and also at Alabama. In 90% of his games he had a talent advantage and still struggled at time to adapt if his scheme didn't work.

He needs to take a step back from being hotshoted in college. I look at this very similarly to al golden taking a step back after Miami, only to regroup and get better.

Best of luck to Tommy.

Reactions: Golson5
This is the type of position, I always felt he was better suited for this early in his career.

Everyone can say what they want, the guy isn't a strong play caller. He showed issues here, and also at Alabama. In 90% of his games he had a talent advantage and still struggled at time to adapt if his scheme didn't work.

He needs to take a step back from being hotshoted in college. I look at this very similarly to al golden taking a step back after Miami, only to regroup and get better.

Best of luck to Tommy.
Anther knows nothing couch critic.

I knew it would take Tommy Rees 15 minutes to find a job in the NFL. The kid is respected and will rise rapidly through the ranks. May even get a shot to come back to ND as a HC in the next 10 years.
Tommy, from what I have read, is more interested in Sunday coaching in the NFL....... as opposed to Saturdays in CFB.

I knew it would take Tommy Rees 15 minutes to find a job in the NFL. The kid is respected and will rise rapidly through the ranks. May even get a shot to come back to ND as a HC in the next 10 years.
He really seems to be thought of highly by everyone other than the majority of those who post on this board. Even if we go back to his earliest days as a coordinator, we had sources telling us he’s a rising star. Rather than the safe play of another offensive coordinator job in college, he’s willing to work his way up in the NFL through the traditional path of position coordinator—> offensive coordinator—>head coach. Within 3-4 years, I‘m pretty sure he’ll be a head coach someplace in collge or the NFL.

Reactions: notredame79

Best of luck to Tommy.
You felt one way—the rest of the football world felt differently.

As for the offense at Alabama, yes, it could have been better, but their ceiling had severe limitations due to Milroe‘s limitations as a QB. The Tide’s offense could have been much more efficient if it had worked around Jalen Milroy’s limitations as a quarterback, but Nick Saban knew that in order to win two playoff games, the offense had to reach a ceiling that’s not possible by playing it safe, especially because the defense wasn’t dominant enough nor the offense of lime dominant enough to play more conservatively, so he knew they had to develop Jalen Milroe and take chances, which they did to try and improve that offensive ceiling. But, as we saw vs. Michigan, Milroe had issues running the offense they needed and kept on taking big sack after big sack after big sack.

Last edited:
Tommy, from what I have read, is more interested in Sunday coaching in the NFL....... as opposed to Saturdays in CFB.
Nothing wrong with that, i'm just very confident, this isn't the path he thought he would have going to the NFL (even 12 months ago). He's not at a point where an average/bad year with a cleveland offense (very possible next year) sets him really back.

There's not much offensive staff from Cleveland that end up becoming big time coaches.

Not true, he inherited a horrible team from two prior coaches who had a losing records.
And he brought the Browns into the playoffs
The two coaches who followed him also had losing records.

Are you aware of the limited degree of control that Belichick had in his tenure as the Browns coach? ?
Are you aware of the limitations placed on him by Art Modell?
Are you aware of the respective roles of the GM, President, Modell and Belichick during his tenure ?

Unlike in college the head coach doesn’t have the same power in the NFL
He didnt do a good job with the Browns. 4 out of 5 of his seasons he had a losing record. He got canned

He was 36 and 44 as a coach there and his 5th season he went 5 and 11

Not good enough

Cleveland was a good team from 85 to 90. They had a terrible year in 91. And Bill took over and his 5 years were not good

He was also not good with the Patriots when Brady was not his QB

He took a lesser job and a pay cut. But hes in the NFL and thats where he belongs

He really seems to be thought of highly by everyone other than the majority of those who post on this board. Even if we go back to his earliest days as a coordinator, we had sources telling us he’s a rising star. Rather than the safe play of another offensive coordinator job in college, he’s willing to work his way up in the NFL through the traditional path of position coordinator—> offensive coordinator—>head coach. Within 3-4 years, I‘m pretty sure he’ll be a head coach someplace in collge or the NFL.
Tommy Rees is well thought of throughout the entire CFB and NFL coaching industry.

And he's 31.

Good for him.

He didnt do a good job with the Browns. 4 out of 5 of his seasons he had a losing record. He got canned

He was 36 and 44 as a coach there and his 5th season he went 5 and 11

Not good enough

Cleveland was a good team from 85 to 90. They had a terrible year in 91. And Bill took over and his 5 years were not good

He was also not good with the Patriots when Brady was not his QB
He built a system around Brady that dominated the NFL for nearly twenty years
That says a lot about him that you clearly are unable to see. He won 10 games with Matt Cassell as his QB the year Brady got injured early. DUE to the system he put in place. Now he did fall off these last few years so maybe he is burned out. But to claim it was all Brady truly proves how little you know about football
Did Tom Brady do the drafting; hire the staff; work FA; decide the Roster; etc during those years?

Finding at least a GOOD QB is not as easy as many like to claim and the Browns have shown that since Bernie Kosar

He built a system around Brady that dominated the NFL for nearly twenty years
That says a lot about him that you clearly are unable to see. He won 10 games with Matt Cassell as his QB the year Brady got injured early. DUE to the system he put in place. Now he did fall off these last few years so maybe he is burned out. But to claim it was all Brady truly proves how little you know about football
Did Tom Brady do the drafting; hire the staff; work FA; decide the Roster; etc during those years?

Finding at least a GOOD QB is not as easy as many like to claim and the Browns have shown that since Bernie Kosar
His winning percentage without Brady is like 42%

In 11 seasons without he has 1 playoff win

His winning percentage without Brady is like 42%

In 11 seasons without he has 1 playoff win
Bill Belichik and New England took Tom Brady in round 6, then won titles when Brady was 24, 25, and 27.

In your world, your narrative, who gets credit for that?

People can criticize Tommy Rees all they want to. He's 31 years old...and has been an OC on two college programs at the highest level. Now he's potentially getting some pro coaching experience. His arrow is pointing up. Nobody knows how successful he will be. But I give him credit for having the chops to try.

Reactions: Kelso86
People can criticize Tommy Rees all they want to. He's 31 years old...and has been an OC on two college programs at the highest level. Now he's potentially getting some pro coaching experience. His arrow is pointing up. Nobody knows how successful he will be. But I give him credit for having the chops to try.
Some people criticize.

They're called the vocal minority.

Bill Belichik and New England took Tom Brady in round 6, then won titles when Brady was 24, 25, and 27.

In your world, your narrative, who gets credit for that?
The Patriots and Bill absolutely get credit for drafting him. And Bill is a great defensive coach.

But his whole career turned because of Brady. He was in trouble again in New England before Tom took over

He was lucky he got lucky drafting him

Not really a promotion for Rees. Thought he would try to take over a MAC like team and go from there. Maybe he hates recruiting though. Maybe he just wanted to get some NFL experience. You never know I guess.

Not really a promotion for Rees. Thought he would try to take over a MAC like team and go from there. Maybe he hates recruiting though. Maybe he just wanted to get some NFL experience. You never know I guess.
Promotion? This is the complete opposite of a promotion.

This is a big step back, but if he and cleveland offense do well he can get back on track, if they suck over the next 1-2 years, this could be a big set back.

Promotion? This is the complete opposite of a promotion.

This is a big step back, but if he and cleveland offense do well he can get back on track, if they suck over the next 1-2 years, this could be a big set back.
Tommy Rees is 31. If Tommy Rees desires to be an NFL OC in 5-6 years, this is not a step back. It's simply one path of many to be an NFL OC.

Reactions: NDinNJ and Kelso86
He should jump at this and get the hell out of the college football cesspool

The Browns and TE position coach had me scratching my head at first. But, he collects a nice $4M for one year with Saban, probably $400-500K next year building his resume in the NFL, takes control of a position group that he understands and utilized exceptionally well at ND, and positions himself to move up the ladder to passing coordinator somewhere else in a year or two. will be interesting to see where Tommy is five years from now. Best to him.
Tommy will probably be a head coach in 5 years. I thought he could do better than the Browns, but let’s hope the Browns don’t tarnish his reputation. I’d like to see him be a very successful head coach one day, preferably at ND.

Reactions: NDinNJ
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT