ADVERTISEMENT

Why aren’t Notre Dame fans proud of Tommy Rees?

As Lee Corso likes to say, not so fast my friend.

I did some digging and found this article from a guy who blogs about Alabama football:

From the title of the piece, I thought it was going to be a hit piece on Tommy Rees. But it was far from it. (For perspectve, the article was written in February 2023, shortly after Rees was hired.) The author of the article did a pretty thorough look at Rees' numbers while he was OC at ND, and came away with this conclusion:

"With those three bullet points, I think I understand why Rees was chosen as Alabama’s next offensive coordinator. Those qualities— adapting the offense to your QB, making the run game a focus, and making sure the offense is designed to get the ball in your best player’s hands— Mark the three big things Saban wanted. They also match what we saw in the Kiffin and Sarkisian systems, and also likely would have with Lebby and Moorhead as the OC (they had non-scheme reasons for not getting the job). And also explains why Grubb, despite his success at UW, was not a fit."

The author also said this about Rees:

"So, with all of that, I went into Friday not knowing who Tommy Rees was, and, two days later, am legitimately excited.

"It’s not a hire without risk, for sure. He’s extremely young and only has three seasons of experience. And the lack of an explosive downfield passing game could be extremely detrimental if Alabama finds themselves down a score or two in tight games (think how many games they would have lost the last two years without some Bryce Young comeback heroics).

"On the other hand, Rees is, without a shadow of doubt in my mind, going to bring a much more imaginative and powerful rushing game to the Tide, and that in itself should keep Alabama in a better position in most games than they often were the last two seasons.

"For Saban’s part, I think he’s hiring Rees specifically for that improvement in the run game and banking on his own experience with Kiffin and Sarkisian’s passing concepts and Alabama’s significantly superior speed at WR to bolster Rees’s inexperienced areas."

While Grubb may have apparently interviewed first, Saban apparently came to the conclusion that he wasn't a fit for Bama.

At least in the mind of the Bama blogger I quoted, Grubb isn't nearly the offensive guru you think him to be, and Tommy Rees is a lot better than you give him credit for.
So it wasn't a hit piece, it was more of a puff piece, and the author went so far as to give possibly undue credit to TR when considering his hiring by the great Nick Saban, at such a tender age. That surely Saban would never hire someone to fill such a critical position, unless he truly possessed all the traits, and not merely on his budding reputation as some sort of phenom, the next big thing.

I'll guess we'll find out which is true here pretty quick, if he gets a job where everything isn't already lined up for success. Whether he's the real deal, or more of a hothouse flower.....

Question
Going back a year or two, if you were an offensive coordinator

Would the Alabama job as the offensive coordinator he one of the top five jobs in the country for an offensive coordinator

I believe they call that a fallacy by authority, or something like that.
I believe you are correct. The so-called argument from authority, which as you say is a type of fallacy. From the link:
The general form of this type of argument is:
Person A claims that X is true.
Person A is an expert in the field concerning X.
Therefore, X should be believed.
Peters's argument fits this general form perfectly:
Saban says Rees is one of the best coaches in college football.
Saban is the greatest football coach of all time.
Therefore, Rees must be one of the best coaches in college football.

As Lee Corso likes to say, not so fast my friend.

I did some digging and found this article from a guy who blogs about Alabama football:

From the title of the piece, I thought it was going to be a hit piece on Tommy Rees. But it was far from it. (For perspectve, the article was written in February 2023, shortly after Rees was hired.) The author of the article did a pretty thorough look at Rees' numbers while he was OC at ND, and came away with this conclusion:

"With those three bullet points, I think I understand why Rees was chosen as Alabama’s next offensive coordinator. Those qualities— adapting the offense to your QB, making the run game a focus, and making sure the offense is designed to get the ball in your best player’s hands— Mark the three big things Saban wanted. They also match what we saw in the Kiffin and Sarkisian systems, and also likely would have with Lebby and Moorhead as the OC (they had non-scheme reasons for not getting the job). And also explains why Grubb, despite his success at UW, was not a fit."

The author also said this about Rees:

"So, with all of that, I went into Friday not knowing who Tommy Rees was, and, two days later, am legitimately excited.

"It’s not a hire without risk, for sure. He’s extremely young and only has three seasons of experience. And the lack of an explosive downfield passing game could be extremely detrimental if Alabama finds themselves down a score or two in tight games (think how many games they would have lost the last two years without some Bryce Young comeback heroics).

"On the other hand, Rees is, without a shadow of doubt in my mind, going to bring a much more imaginative and powerful rushing game to the Tide, and that in itself should keep Alabama in a better position in most games than they often were the last two seasons.

"For Saban’s part, I think he’s hiring Rees specifically for that improvement in the run game and banking on his own experience with Kiffin and Sarkisian’s passing concepts and Alabama’s significantly superior speed at WR to bolster Rees’s inexperienced areas."

While Grubb may have apparently interviewed first, Saban apparently came to the conclusion that he wasn't a fit for Bama.

At least in the mind of the Bama blogger I quoted, Grubb isn't nearly the offensive guru you think him to be, and Tommy Rees is a lot better than you give him credit for.
Rees became the OC at Bama because Grubb turned them down

No use, Golson5 believes he knows more than coaches, reporters, and players, yet he's sitting in his parents basement trolling Rees and those supportive of Rees. He is the definition of a keyboard warrior. He's a complete loser. He just proves what a dummy he is with every post.
Rees became the OC because Grubb turned them down. If you believe a blogger over multiple alabama, Washington and national reporters you're even dumber than I thought. And I really do think you're stupid already

This article sounds like a bit of student polemic, which says a great deal without mentioning the real reason that many fans don't like Rees.

The perception is that Kelly, after he fired Chip Long, made one of his typical lazy hires when he hired Rees after a "thorough national search" for the next OC that never really happened. This means that Rees is being viewed through the lens of confirmation bias: many of us are looking for confirmation that Kelly's promotion of Rees was the sort of mistake Kelly regularly makes because he doesn't want to put the requisite effort into doing his job.

Evidence of this is that many of us — including me, at first — were skeptical of the Denbrock hire, because Denbrock was a Kelly best buddy. I'm a natural skeptic, but to me that means that I investigate facts before forming an opinion. There's plenty of evidence that Denbrock is a strong OC, who didn't get where he was by riding on Kelly's coattails: the whooping he gave us in our own house as the Cincinnati OC is one piece of that.

So, back to Rees. I said 10 years ago that Rees would wind up in coaching. I was a little surprised to see him advance as quickly as he did, but he had the talent for it. When he got plugged in as OC, I felt like he'd need to gain experience before he could be a top OC. This proved so to be.

In his three years as Notre Dame OC, Rees certainly made his rookie mistakes. But I think many of us have magnified those mistakes into evidence that he will never make it as an OC. What I think most of us don't recognize is that we feel that way about him because Kelly hired him without any experience, not because he doesn't have the talent for the job.

So, my bottom line is that the resentment towards Rees is misplaced resentment towards Kelly.

This article sounds like a bit of student polemic, which says a great deal without mentioning the real reason that many fans don't like Rees.

The perception is that Kelly, after he fired Chip Long, made one of his typical lazy hires when he hired Rees after a "thorough national search" for the next OC that never really happened. This means that Rees is being viewed through the lens of confirmation bias: many of us are looking for confirmation that Kelly's promotion of Rees was the sort of mistake Kelly regularly makes because he doesn't want to put the requisite effort into doing his job.

Evidence of this is that many of us — including me, at first — were skeptical of the Denbrock hire, because Denbrock was a Kelly best buddy. I'm a natural skeptic, but to me that means that I investigate facts before forming an opinion. There's plenty of evidence that Denbrock is a strong OC, who didn't get where he was by riding on Kelly's coattails: the whooping he gave us in our own house as the Cincinnati OC is one piece of that.

So, back to Rees. I said 10 years ago that Rees would wind up in coaching. I was a little surprised to see him advance as quickly as he did, but he had the talent for it. When he got plugged in as OC, I felt like he'd need to gain experience before he could be a top OC. This proved so to be.

In his three years as Notre Dame OC, Rees certainly made his rookie mistakes. But I think many of us have magnified those mistakes into evidence that he will never make it as an OC. What I think most of us don't recognize is that we feel that way about him because Kelly hired him without any experience, not because he doesn't have the talent for the job.

So, my bottom line is that the resentment towards Rees is misplaced resentment towards Kelly.
Yeah, that's way too fancy an explanation for ND fans' emotions. Nobody really knows the answer as to why fans don't like or admire TR none too much, even if the possible reasons are very obvious. The first one you'd look to, if you had to bet the farm on it, and you could check with God who knows all, to see if you were actually correct.... would be that he was a shit recruit with no recruiting pedigree or prestige whatsoever. And true to form he didn't turn out to be some overlooked Tom Brady, and his talents were very pedestrian. And since by mere chance and circumstance he ended up playing a lot, fans had a whole lot of opportunity to loath and resent him, as football fans are wont to do. The sobriquet of 'Tommy Turnover' comes to mind. Even though he was a totally respectable player. And basically it's stuck ever since, and he can't live it down. Because fans are trash, you know how people are. Not all of them but a nice big chunk of them, enough to sweepingly generalize. And they're not going to go back and revise their sentiments on this subject, because they don't want to, and why should they. So he'll always suck to them. Even though I would imagine that such intransigent resentment or disdain can become untenable if TR continues to experience great success and plaudits.

I'm partial to the explanation which says that his relationship with BK, who is indeed truly and indubitably hated by ND fans, is the reason. And by association whatever that means exactly, he is also hated, or at least is regarded with a greater degree of casual contempt than one might expect for an ex-ND player who's done so well so fast as a coach, to the point where he's like the next big thing, the next Lincoln Riley. Which is pretty heady stuff and normally ND fans would love being attached to that kind of prestige and praise and high status. But their hatred for BK trumps all. Because there's not much on the superficial merits to dislike or disregard TR as a coach. He has been very successful, even if the circumstances which he fell into were especially auspicious, and he has yet to really prove himself thus far on a more level playing field.

But I'm guessing it's more the first than the 2nd. His relationship with BK is just heavy servings of icing on the cake.....

Rees became the OC because Grubb turned them down. If you believe a blogger over multiple alabama, Washington and national reporters you're even dumber than I thought. And I really do think you're stupid already
This is where your stupidity reigns supreme. Show me where I contradicted that statement? I also never stated Rees was better than Grubb. I would hope Grubb is a better OC than Rees considering Grubb has 20+ more years of experience.

I simply contradicted your statement about Rees not being a good OC, when his offense happened to score more points vs Michigan than Washington's offense.

You really should go back to school and take reading comprehension classes.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish

Garbage.

This is where your stupidity reigns supreme. Show me where I contradicted that statement? I also never stated Rees was better than Grubb. I would hope Grubb is a better OC than Rees considering Grubb has 20+ more years of experience.

I simply contradicted your statement about Rees not being a good OC, when his offense happened to score more points vs Michigan than Washington's offense.

You really should go back to school and take reading comprehension classes.
Who cares about 1 game. Using 1 game as an example is an idiotic point to make. That's just a stupid comment. Thats like saying Kevin Sumlin is a better coach than Saban after he beat him in 1 game. Or Sarkisian is better than Saban because he beat him at Alabama by 10 this year

Just an awful, awful take by you.

Stupidity reigns supreme is right !

Who cares about 1 game. Using 1 game as an example is an idiotic point to make. That's just a stupid comment. Thats like saying Kevin Sumlin is a better coach than Saban after he beat him in 1 game. Or Sarkisian is better than Saban because he beat him at Alabama by 10 this year

Just an awful, awful take by you.

Stupidity reigns supreme is right !
You still don't get it. lol 😂 You are truly stupid. You definitely are slow. Moving forward, I'll make sure to use small words when posting, so you can understand the meaning behind my posts

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
You still don't get it. lol 😂 You are truly stupid. You definitely are slow. Moving forward, I'll make sure to use small words when posting, so you can understand the meaning behind my posts
Nice weak ass reply 🤣🤣. You have nothing. Never did.

Stupidity reigns supreme !

🤣🤣🤣

Yeah, that's way too fancy an explanation for ND fans' emotions.
Well, I asked God whether this was true, and He said of course not.
Nobody really knows the answer as to why fans don't like or admire TR none too much, even if the possible reasons are very obvious. The first one you'd look to, if you had to bet the farm on it, and you could check with God who knows all, to see if you were actually correct...
...I did, and He said not to bet the farm on it....
...would be that he was a shit recruit with no recruiting pedigree or prestige whatsoever.
That's another reasonable possibility, even if God told me not to bet the farm on it.
I'm partial to the explanation which says that his relationship with BK, who is indeed truly and indubitably hated by ND fans, is the reason.
Really? Maybe it isn't too fancy an explanation for ND fans' emotions after all. :)

Last edited:
Nice weak ass reply 🤣🤣. You have nothing. Never did.

Stupidity reigns supreme !

🤣🤣🤣
You are so dumb you can't even come up with your own lines. What a loser, living in your parents basement and i'm now living rent free in your head. 😂

I’d like to know the percentage of Notre Dame graduates, who are critical of Tommy Reese

Versus the percentage of non-graduates, who are critical of Tommy Rees

My guess is that the percentage of the former is minimal

Whereas the percentage of the latter is greater

There’s something to be said for loyalty

There's plenty of evidence that Denbrock is a strong OC, who didn't get where he was by riding on Kelly's coattails: the whooping he gave us in our own house as the Cincinnati OC is one piece of that.
2021 Cincy's near 400 yards of offense was good. But we lost that game because Rees couldn't move the ball with Coan, then Buchner, so Pyne came in to provide our one good drive.

You are so dumb you can't even come up with your own lines. What a loser, living in your parents basement and i'm now living rent free in your head. 😂
Pretty sure it's you who replies to all of my posts so 🤣🤣🤣

Nice try again. Weak ass post. Terrible comebacks. We all know you don't have a clue aboit football, but you're not even clever anymore

Just pathetic all the way around for you

🤣🤣🤣

I’d like to know the percentage of Notre Dame graduates, who are critical of Tommy Reese

Versus the percentage of non-graduates, who are critical of Tommy Rees

My guess is that the percentage of the former is minimal

Whereas the percentage of the latter is greater

There’s something to be said for loyalty
There's nothing wrong with being critical of a coach. They know fas and media will criticize when they get into the profession.

I'm sure he could care less and expects criticism

Charlie Weis was an alum and I know many ND graduates who couldn't stand him. He got way more crap than Tommy does.

I dont think there is many people at all who dislike Tommy

Well, I asked God whether this was true, and He said of course not.

...I did, and He said not to bet the farm on it....

That's another reasonable possibility, even if God told me not to bet the farm on it.

Really? Maybe it isn't too fancy an explanation for ND fans' emotions after all. :)
Is there some reason you make such a condescending spectacle of yourself when you reply to people? You're very blatant about it.

2021 Cincy's near 400 yards of offense was good. But we lost that game because Rees couldn't move the ball with Coan, then Buchner, so Pyne came in to provide our one good drive.
Right. We lost that game because Denbrock's offense was good and Rees's wasn't.

Right. We lost that game because Denbrock's offense was good and Rees's wasn't.
The stats don’t seem to support your position

Total yards Cin 390 versus ND 341

First downs Cin 16 versus ND 19

Third down conversion Cin 2-11 versus ND 6-17

The difference in the game was the quarterback completion percentage
That’s not on the coach that’s on the player

Ridder was 19 for 32 with no interceptions versus Pyne who was 9 for 22, Coan who was 14 for 22 with 1 interception and Buckner, who was 0 for 2 with 1 interception.

if I’m not mistaken, defense is still a big part of the game
And Cincinnati’s defense came up with 2 interceptions and played a good game

Putting the loss solely on Rees’s shoulders shows a total lack of knowledge regarding football.
But that’s not unusual on this site ! 😜

There was an interesting take on the TR situation in an article posted on The Athletic this morning. The article includes this:

"Rees signed a three-year, $6 million contract with Alabama a year ago and got one season with Saban, which might represent more professional value than any paycheck could. Multiple industry sources have indicated Rees and Saban grew close during the past year, and the idea Saban wanted Rees as his replacement was under some consideration. There’s a reason Rees was supposed to interview for the job the day after Kalen DeBoer got it."

Not sure how much truth there is to that statement, but maybe we shouldn't sell TR short, as many here seem willing to do.

Reactions: Pennick4
Putting the loss solely on Rees’s shoulders shows a total lack of knowledge regarding football.
If we look at your statement literally, you are saying that anyone putting the loss solely on Rees's shoulders doesn't know what an incomplete pass is, or what a block is, or how many yards you have to advance the ball in four tries, or what a touchdown is, or a field goal, and on and on. Of course, this is ridiculous, so I have to conclude that your statement isn't to be taken literally. That makes me wonder why you make it in the first place, however.

Putting a loss solely on any one person's shoulders in a team sport shows a lack of understanding of team sports, although I won't say a total one. In our world, nothing is total.

When I say that we lost that game because Denbrock's offense was good and Rees's wasn't, I'm not referring to Rees's game plan or whatever. The QBs were certainly not good, and they were also certainly a part of Rees's offense.
Patirish said:
To say that that isn't on the coaches is to say that poor completion percentage has nothing to do with coaching. If that's true, then coaches don't have anything to do with good completion percentage either. By extension, coaches don't have anything to do with how well players play, so they're a waste of money. Of course, that's ridiculous, so it makes more sense to say that poor QB play is partly on the QBs and partly on the coaches.
Cincinnati’s defense came up with 2 interceptions and played a good game
I agree. In 2021, Cincinnati's pass defense was much better than Notre Dame's statistically, and that didn't change in our game. But that doesn't mean that we didn't throw the interceptions that they caught. As I recall, one of those was a fluke, where the QB got hit while he was throwing the ball, and the other was one of those boneheaded plays where the QB forgets what color jersey his team is wearing. Nevertheless, I agree that the best defenses create mistakes on the offense they're facing. And Notre Dame did make more mistakes than usual.

Nevertheless, that doesn't mean that Notre Dame's offense played well, and were done in by Cincinnati's elite defense. Overall, our offense didn't play well at all.

All hyperbole aside, I would say that Denbrock did a better job than Rees in the game. The main stat that backs that up is Notre Dame 13, Cincinnati 24. But Rees calling run plays often enough to become predictable, once he got the idea that his passing game wasn't cutting it, had something to do with that score.

Last edited:
There was an interesting take on the TR situation in an article posted on The Athletic this morning. The article includes this:

"Rees signed a three-year, $6 million contract with Alabama a year ago and got one season with Saban, which might represent more professional value than any paycheck could. Multiple industry sources have indicated Rees and Saban grew close during the past year, and the idea Saban wanted Rees as his replacement was under some consideration. There’s a reason Rees was supposed to interview for the job the day after Kalen DeBoer got it."

Not sure how much truth there is to that statement, but maybe we shouldn't sell TR short, as many here seem willing to do.
Why?

Why shouldnt we sell him short?

Why cant we just judge him by what he's done and discuss that

He doesnt need false praise from anyone here nor does he care if people criticize him Im sure

If Saban loves him or if Saban hated him, it shouldn't really matter.

You are of course free to form your own opinion as to whether Rees is a good OC or not. I have no problem with that. In my view, he is probably not the wunderkind that some hold him out to be, but I probably hold a higher opinion of his abilities than you do. And that's ok.

But earlier in this thread you were citing third-party sources to support your belief that TR got the Bama job only because Grubb turned it down. Others have speculated that Grubb ultimately decided he didn't want the job because he had a different vision from Saban's about the offense, and their visions didn't mesh. None of us really know what happened because neither Grubb nor Saban have said anything about it.

I cited a story that said third-party sources indicated Saban might have wanted TR as his successor, but you dismissed it out of hand. So you will accept third-party sources when they fit your narrative, but dismiss them when they don't?

And it is not "false praise" because someone holds a different opinion than yours. It is called a difference of opinion.

I do agree, however, that TR certainly doesn't care what people on this board, or any message board, think about him. At least I hope not. As Marv Levy once said, if a coach starts listening to the fans, pretty soon he'll be sitting with them.

You are of course free to form your own opinion as to whether Rees is a good OC or not. I have no problem with that. In my view, he is probably not the wunderkind that some hold him out to be, but I probably hold a higher opinion of his abilities than you do. And that's ok.

But earlier in this thread you were citing third-party sources to support your belief that TR got the Bama job only because Grubb turned it down. Others have speculated that Grubb ultimately decided he didn't want the job because he had a different vision from Saban's about the offense, and their visions didn't mesh. None of us really know what happened because neither Grubb nor Saban have said anything about it.

I cited a story that said third-party sources indicated Saban might have wanted TR as his successor, but you dismissed it out of hand. So you will accept third-party sources when they fit your narrative, but dismiss them when they don't?

And it is not "false praise" because someone holds a different opinion than yours. It is called a difference of opinion.

I do agree, however, that TR certainly doesn't care what people on this board, or any message board, think about him. At least I hope not. As Marv Levy once said, if a coach starts listening to the fans, pretty soon he'll be sitting with them.
1. The sources on Grubb turning down Bama was beat writers from Washington and Alabama. Also from national reporters

2. The report that Saban wanted Rees as his successor was from one person? And it was a blog? I didnt even read it. Is the guy even respected?

3. Also, I never even said Saban didnt want Rees as his successor. I doubt it but also have no clue. I just knew it had zero chance of ever happening

4. I have no problem with people really liking Tommy as an OC. That is their opinion and they are entitled to it. I have a problem with people saying because BK likes him and whoever likes a coach, that automatically means they are good or that we should now think that way.

I think you are misinterpreting some of the things I am trying to say

The stats don’t seem to support your position

Total yards Cin 390 versus ND 341

First downs Cin 16 versus ND 19

Third down conversion Cin 2-11 versus ND 6-17

Ridder was 19 for 32 with no interceptions versus Pyne who was 9 for 22, Coan who was 14 for 22 with 1 interception and Buckner, who was 0 for 2 with 1 interception.

if I’m not mistaken, defense is still a big part of the game
And Cincinnati’s defense came up with 2 interceptions and played a good game

But that’s not unusual on this site ! 😜
Rees's offense had ONE drive that worked that day after being shut out in the first half. The other score was a result of a turnover inside the Cats' 40. One drive isn't going to cut it.

Reactions: Golson5
Rees's offense had ONE drive that worked that day after being shut out in the first half. The other score was a result of a turnover inside the Cats' 40. One drive isn't going to cut it.
Didn’t Cincinnati go undefeated during their regular season?

Didn’t they hold opponents to 16 points per game?

Didn’t Notre Dame go 11-1 for the season with Tommy Reese as OC ?

Wasn’t Notre Dame ranked 20th out of 130 teams, in Offense in 2021

Could you remind me, what’s the basis for criticizing Tommy Rees ?

Didn’t Cincinnati go undefeated during their regular season?

Didn’t they hold opponents to 16 points per game?

Didn’t Notre Dame go 11-1 for the season with Tommy Reese as OC ?

Wasn’t Notre Dame ranked 20th out of 130 teams, in Offense in 2021

Could you remind me, what’s the basis for criticizing Tommy Rees ?
Did I imagine that Bama blew them out by simply running it down Cincy's throat, despite that fact that 2021 Bryce Young Bama was a passing team?

Did I imagine that Bama blew them out by simply running it down Cincy's throat, despite that fact that 2021 Bryce Young Bama was a passing team?
yes, you did imagine that, Cincinnati held Alabama to their third lowest scoring total in the entire regular season, only LSU and Auburn held Alabama to lower points scored at 20 and 24, so holding Alabama to 27 points was evidence of a significant Defense on Cincinnati’s part

Alabama had regular season games were they scored in the 50s and even in the 60s against opponents, ergo, Cincinnati had a pretty solid defense

A defense, that performed well against Notre Dame, so let’s stop putting the blame solely on Tommy Rees

yes, you did imagine that, Cincinnati held Alabama to their third lowest scoring total in the entire regular season, only LSU and Auburn held Alabama to lower points scored at 20 and 24, so holding Alabama to 27 points was evidence of a significant Defense on Cincinnati’s part

Alabama had regular season games were they scored in the 50s and even in the 60s against opponents, ergo, Cincinnati had a pretty solid defense

A defense, that performed well against Notre Dame, so let’s stop putting the blame solely on Tommy Rees

Bama only did as much as it needed to beat Cincy. Why takes risks when after securing a lead all you have to do is run out the clock to make it to the NC game?

Reactions: tbonesays
Bama only did as much as it needed to beat Cincy. Why takes risks when after securing a lead all you have to do is run out the clock to make it to the NC game?
Yeah, Bama let the clock run once they had a lead an Cincy didn't seem to be doing much.

Why again are we hung up on 2021? Are we giving credit to Rees for producing the 43rd ranked offense with such a limited roster? visa versa?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT