ADVERTISEMENT

Why aren’t Notre Dame fans proud of Tommy Rees?

Tommy is a Notre Dame man who in all actuality was a good quarterback and won some big games. I also liked that as a player he wasn’t afraid to stand up to BK and didn’t take BK’s shit. I think that earned BK’s respect. Tommy seems like a good dude off the field. He’s just not a good OC, yet. He’s young and I’m sure he’ll grow and develop a better skillset.

I didn't attack him

I just don't think he's a very good OC right now.

Notre Dame alum and fans treated Charlie Weis terribly so why would Tommy be any different?
So two wrongs make a right ?

That’s interesting logic !

So two wrongs make a right ?

That’s interesting logic !
I didn't say it was right. But I didn't see many people coming to Charlies defense

I also haven't seen many attack Tommy. People for the most part say he's just not that great of an OC yet

And then some get their feelings hurt when it is said

It wasn’t his fault he was forced to play for ND. The fact that he was the qb at ND for as long as he was is an indictment on the staff for not having a better option. He was average, at best. As a coach, he was average. I know the rees lovers will cite saban hiring him & his salary as the end all. I don’t give a shit that saban hired him, and I don’t care for how much. He could turn out to be a great coach down the road & the fact that he was limited as a player (a turnover machine), doesn’t mean he can’t succeed at the coaching level, but up to this point, he hadn’t shown to be worthy of landing the biggest OC position in the country. Kudos for him for landing it, but that alone doesn’t justify it. You guys can gloss over the fact that bama had their worst offense in 15 years and claim that their qb wasn’t any good, but that same qb was getting heisman talk late in the season (unwarrantedly, imo) but nonetheless he couldn’t have been as bad as some here say if the media was fawning all over him down the stretch. Most of their offense came from him running around & making plays w/ his feet & the occasional deep ball. The truth is that bama had about 350 yds a game in most of their outings (against lsu they had 500 yds but lsu had the worst defense in the country). Call me a hater all you want, rees was average for us, nothing special. Again, that doesn’t mean he won’t be a huge success down the road & maybe that’s the idea w/ him (that he has great potential as a coach), but he has not been as successful as his hirings would make one think.

Reactions: NDinNJ
TR was a playing coach, now he is a coaching coach. We have known this for so long it is like he is in his tenth year coaching! He has done well for himself! Are we proud of Bob Davie?

TR is what my dad used to call “a born on third base guy”. When he played the tv guys always talked about his father being a coach, he was a coach on the field, he was light years ahead of a normal x and o‘s. etc. What he lacked in natural ability he made up for his “wonder kid ” knowledge of the game. He didn’t make it to third base on his own he started there. Not his fault but the lack of grinding it to get to third base shows. May be a great guy but the simple perception is that he didn’t earn the level he is at. Again, not his fault in the least.

TR is what my dad used to call “a born on third base guy”. When he played the tv guys always talked about his father being a coach, he was a coach on the field, he was light years ahead of a normal x and o‘s. etc. What he lacked in natural ability he made up for his “wonder kid ” knowledge of the game. He didn’t make it to third base on his own he started there. Not his fault but the lack of grinding it to get to third base shows. May be a great guy but the simple perception is that he didn’t earn the level he is at. Again, not his fault in the least.
I’m not sure I agree with the third base analogy but if it is true, it is true of many ND alumni. Perhaps that explains the dichotomy and discord between who respects and does not respect Tommy Rees.

Pure B.S.

No one gets a pass in athletic competitions

You prove yourself, solely by your performance, not your pedigree

He was polarizing as the QB. Never the most talented but given a ton of leeway. It continued in coaching as he seemed to get opportunities from bk when fans felt there were more qualified individuals. Add in that there was never a perception of him being successful as a QB coach...so moving him to OC was not received well...the. Then multiple questionable calls and lack of any in game changes to his game plan led to a perception of him thinking he was smarter than he was.... Then he left for bama... And we'll draw play just confirmed what many felt all along.

He's just polarizing. I wish him the best. But I do not think he's a good OC. I think he could be eventually.
That's where those that have a disdain or dislike for Rees are wrong. It wasn't his fault he was thrust into the starting QB role at ND. Blame BK for that. Rees was simply a scholarship player who happened to get the nod by the HC and OC. Blame the coaching staff for not recruiting better.

As for becoming OC at ND, again the HC made the decision to hire Rees, so to have any type of dislike or disdain for Rees is ridiculous.

Let's put it this way, Put yourself in Rees' shoes. HC tells you, you are QB1, are you going to say sorry coach, I don't think I am, give it to someone else?
Same for the OC position, HC extends you an offer to be OC of ND, are you going to say, sorry coach, I don't believe I'm ready? 😂 no one on this forum would do that unless you are complete loser.

That's where those that have a disdain or dislike for Rees are wrong. It wasn't his fault he was thrust into the starting QB role at ND. Blame BK for that. Rees was simply a scholarship player who happened to get the nod by the HC and OC. Blame the coaching staff for not recruiting better.

As for becoming OC at ND, again the HC made the decision to hire Rees, so to have any type of dislike or disdain for Rees is ridiculous.

Let's put it this way, Put yourself in Rees' shoes. HC tells you, you are QB1, are you going to say sorry coach, I don't think I am, give it to someone else?
Same for the OC position, HC extends you an offer to be OC of ND, are you going to say, sorry coach, I don't believe I'm ready? 😂 no one on this forum would do that unless you are complete loser.
Better be careful adding proper perspective on this board :)

Mic Drop.

I have disagreed with you numerous times. Not here.

Helluva post.

Pure B.S.

No one gets a pass in athletic competitions

You prove yourself, solely by your performance, not your pedigree
TYPICAL MORONIC RESPONSE. HE DIDN’T “PROVE” HIMSELF OR EARN ANYTHING “SOLELY “ BY HIS PERFORMANCE.

This article thankfully is a campus rag with little national exposure. The article is written by a guy who comes from a town near where Rees grew up. The article raises some legitimate questions about the dynamic between Rees and the ND fan base but is overly dramatic in its premise that he is disliked. That is completely untrue and an injustice by the author

Rees is in a 50/50 relationship with the fan base. Most view him as having a talent for coaching. This was even evident when he was a player. Many fan comments during his days as QB said “smart player, could be a good coach someday, has instincts from being a coaches son”

Now, here’s the downside
1- he was promoted very young and given advantages by Kelly that seemed undeserved
2- he is not articulate and does not come across as a charismatic leader, but rather still a young guy
3- His hiring by Saban does not fully compute by ND fans. Even though being hired by the Goat should be a validation - fans were still a bit surprised and working through their mixed feelings about Rees. So it’s a 50/50 on this accomplishment
4- Rees has not lit it up as an OC. He has been steady but conservative with not enough signature moments
5- he left ND. No one blames him. And many admire his staying with the hiring of Freeman. Yet leaving ND could have gone better. It wasn’t a Kelly “leaving in the night back stab”. But it could have been a better goodbye with some publicized ND complementary statements on his decision to leave ND and take the Bama job. That didn’t happen

Hence all put together you get a ND fan base that is conflicted on Rees. Not hating. Certainly proud. And certainly blade or 50/50 Not in the sense of half the base feels one way and the other another —. No 50/50 in the sense of just ambivalence or blase.

I’m not sure what the idea of rees declining the qb position and OC positions he’s gotten has to do w/ anything. Who would decline an offer? I don’t get the argument. Was someone saying he should’ve declined the starting qb position or OC position? I’m only talking about his performance once he was handed those positions.

Reactions: Golson5
I’m not sure what the idea of rees declining the qb position and OC positions he’s gotten has to do w/ anything. Who would decline an offer? I don’t get the argument. Was someone saying he should’ve declined the starting qb position or OC position? I’m only talking about his performance once he was handed those positions.
Point is, he's a graduate of ND, hes young by coaching standards, he's learning, he's no longer at ND, why continually criticize him? Calling him out when other coaches that know a lot more than anyone on this forum, shows the stupidity of the individuals on this forum.

I don't get your first sentence: given a ton of leeway? He was given leeway to get thrown into the fire as a freshman when Crist hurt his knee and to get thrown into the fire again when Crist seemingly cracked under the pressure the following year, and get thrown into the fire yet again the following year whenever Golson would choke, and finally get thrown into the fire his senior year when Golson was kicked out for cheating.

To me, as a QB, he did the best he could, given his physical limitations, and we were lucky to have him for four years.

I didn't think he was any great shake as an OC, but I certainly don't dislike him at all.

I honestly think the dislike of Rees is that he is seen as Brian Kelly's pet, and everyone who hates Kelly therefore hates Rees.
Crist didn't crack under pressure, and possibly just maybe people thought he was Kelly's pet is because sometimes the obvious is true.
Tommy's first career pass was an interception when Kelly pulled Crist for the phantom concussion.
That is what would playout through his career

As far as an OC he has won more games than any OC i can remember during his tenure.

Last edited:
“Point is, he's a graduate of ND, hes young by coaching standards, he's learning, he's no longer at ND, why continually criticize him? Calling him out when other coaches that know a lot more than anyone on this forum, shows the stupidity of the individuals on this forum.”

So anyone that doesn’t think rees was anything more than average shows their stupidity by thinking so?

“Point is, he's a graduate of ND, hes young by coaching standards, he's learning, he's no longer at ND, why continually criticize him? Calling him out when other coaches that know a lot more than anyone on this forum, shows the stupidity of the individuals on this forum.”

So anyone that doesn’t think rees was anything more than average shows their stupidity by thinking so?
How was your career as a CFB QB and OC?

Were you average?

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
I was an okay DIAA qb and was only an OC in high school, but wtf does that have to do w/ anything? Are we evaluating me as a qb and OC or rees?

When you have a legendary coach like Saban hiring him and giving positive feedback, yes. you look stupid.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
“When you have a legendary coach like Saban hiring him and giving positive feedback, yes. you look stupid.”

Even when after the hire they had their worst offense in 15 years? I’m fine w/ looking stupid to you about this subject, you’re obviously entrenched in supporting rees. We can disagree w/o calling each other stupid, no?

“When you have a legendary coach like Saban hiring him and giving positive feedback, yes. you look stupid.”

Even when after the hire they had their worst offense in 15 years? I’m fine w/ looking stupid to you about this subject, you’re obviously entrenched in supporting rees. We can disagree w/o calling each other stupid, no?
How in the hell can you evaluate an OC at a particular school over a 15 year period when the talent level on the field changes year to year?

Alabama’s talent is the problem, not rees. You’re right.
Alabama OC Bill O'Brien had Heisman Trophy winner and NFL overall #1 Draft Choice Bryce Young playing QB in 2022.

Tommy Rees? Jalen Milroe.

Alabama’s talent is the problem, not rees. You’re right.
Where were you when the Alabama offense scored 27 against the then #1 team and two time defending champion Georgia Bulldogs? Which put Alabama in the playoffs.

Amazing the criticism Rees is getting for being one of four OC's out of 132 to make it to the playoffs.

No, I know, it’s bama’s talent that led them to their worst offense in 15 years. The OC didn’t have anything to do w/ it.

No, I know, it’s bama’s talent that led them to their worst offense in 15 years. The OC didn’t have anything to do w/ it.
A former 1AA QB and HS OC, you've lived the life of what Tommy Rees does and has done, then criticizing someone on Rees's QB and OC level is what's confusing.

“Where were you when the Alabama offense scored 27 against the then #1 team and two time defending champion Georgia Bulldogs? Which put Alabama in the playoffs.”

There were 5-6 teams, including UAB, that scored over 20 points on Georgia this year. Not that big an accomplishment.

“A former 1AA QB and HS OC, you've lived the life of what Tommy Rees does and has done, then criticizing someone on Rees's QB and OC level is what's confusing.

"Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house."”

As I said before, wtf does that have to do w/ anything? Are you implying that only people that had better careers than rees can criticize him as a player and a coach?

“A former 1AA QB and HS OC, you've lived the life of what Tommy Rees does and has done, then criticizing someone on Rees's QB and OC level is what's confusing.

"Don't throw stones when you live in a glass house."”

As I said before, wtf does that have to do w/ anything? Are you implying that only people that had better careers than rees can criticize him as a player and a coach?
Just surprises me that someone who played the position and coached the offense would spend time criticizing and pointing fingers at others who do.

Sorry you’re surprised. I’m surprised that you spend so much time pointing fingers at posters that disagree w/ you.

Reactions: Irishjohn68
“Where were you when the Alabama offense scored 27 against the then #1 team and two time defending champion Georgia Bulldogs? Which put Alabama in the playoffs.”

There were 5-6 teams, including UAB, that scored over 20 points on Georgia this year. Not that big an accomplishment.
Yes, after the game was already over, most of those were in garbage time, and UGA didn't lose those games did they?

Sorry you’re surprised. I’m surprised that you spend so much time pointing fingers at posters that disagree w/ you.
Don't be sorry. Continue being a couch critic at people who can't respond to you.

“Couch critic”? lol. You’ve got issues, dude. Let it go, you love rees, I don’t. It’s okay.

Crist didn't crack under pressure, and possibly just maybe people thought he was Kelly's pet is because sometimes the obvious is true.
Tommy's first career pass was an interception when Kelly pulled Crist for the phantom concussion.
That is what would playout through his career

As far as an OC he has won more games than any OC i can remember during his tenure as an OC
Huh? Chip Long his predecessor won more

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT