ADVERTISEMENT

Why aren’t Notre Dame fans proud of Tommy Rees?

I dont agree with the article at all. There are levels of "love" by fanbases. Superstars/great players are always going to be remembered more fondly than role players. Rees was a role player & the ND fanbase appreciated him but he'd never be put in the top of any ND's fan list of alltime players.
As an OC he was the same way. We never marveled at his gameplans or in game adjustments. He wasnt a horrible OC but he wasnt elite either. Its ok to be average & Rees fits into that category.

I dont agree with the article at all. There are levels of "love" by fanbases. Superstars/great players are always going to be remembered more fondly than role players. Rees was a role player & the ND fanbase appreciated him but he'd never be put in the top of any ND's fan list of alltime players.
As an OC he was the same way. We never marveled at his gameplans or in game adjustments. He wasnt a horrible OC but he wasnt elite either. Its ok to be average & Rees fits into that category.

I don't think the point of the piece is that Rees was a great QB or an elite OC. Rather, I think the author makes the point that the vitriol directed at Rees, first as a player and then as an OC, is both unfair and misguided. I happen to agree with that point. I am not sure why so many ND fans long to see him fail, or wish him ill because he left ND to take the OC position at Alabama under the greatest coach in the modern game. One can fairly criticize Rees' ability to recruit and develop QBs while he was at ND, and his play calling acumen (or lack thereof), but that doesn't justify some of the mean spiritedness of the criticism that has been sent his way. Maybe he was average, as you opine, but should that make him an object of our scorn?

I don’t agree with that article either. It’s the squeaky wheel gets all the grease. Yes there are some who don’t like him but IMO most ND fan base tolerates him. He was an average QB and I think in time will be a very good OC and maybe head coach. He didn’t to get away from ND and BK.

Reactions: BGI User 756
How will your playing career as a starting QB in CFB be remembered by your fanbase? Are you at the top of your fanbases's lists?

How about when you were a CFB OC? Were you "..average..." as well..?

judging any fanbase by forums like this is a moronic act

ND has millions of fans. what percent is heard from here and elsewhere like here?
.000001% maybe?

So claiming Rees was hated, etc is BS. As long as we are talking about the fanbase as a whole

Reactions: NDinNJ

ND has millions of fans. what percent is heard from here and elsewhere like here?
.000001% maybe?

So claiming Rees was hated, etc is BS. As long as we are talking about the fanbase as a whole
He is not beloved by the ND fan base

He was polarizing as the QB. Never the most talented but given a ton of leeway. It continued in coaching as he seemed to get opportunities from bk when fans felt there were more qualified individuals. Add in that there was never a perception of him being successful as a QB coach...so moving him to OC was not received well...the. Then multiple questionable calls and lack of any in game changes to his game plan led to a perception of him thinking he was smarter than he was.... Then he left for bama... And we'll draw play just confirmed what many felt all along.

He's just polarizing. I wish him the best. But I do not think he's a good OC. I think he could be eventually.

Reactions: Irishjohn68
Most ND fans see Rees for what he was, a QB that didn’t quite have top D1 talent but outperformed expectations, often frustrated us with untimely turnovers, and played a key role in 2012 season, in a platoon situation with a more talented but less experienced Golson … then when he returned to ND he was Kelly’s pet, got opportunities he hadn’t yet earned, and performed pretty well. He passed the ND loyalty test when he spurned Kelly to stay at ND, had a mixed first year then bolted for greener pastures. We don’t hate him or hope he fails but we take delight in watching his growing pains play out elsewhere and no longer on our sidelines … good play caller, decent recruiter, jury still out on his ability to develop and coach top talent. He is still more potential than accomplishment. I won’t be surprised if he succeeds and I won’t be surprised if he fails … it’s a tough and unforgiving business especially for head coaches.

Reactions: Flanner Hall
I don’t think it’s disdain the way it is for Kelly. It’s more just surprise that he seemingly keeps falling forward

Reactions: Flanner Hall
Because they hated him when he was the QB. Because he 'sucked'. And so that's why.

There's no particular reason to be all proud of him either, that's just the other side of the coin. No need to hate or resent players that either sucked, or disappointed, or transferred or whatever. And you don't have to do it in the other direction, unless you had a particular fondness as a fan for a given player. A little bit, sure, but there's no reason to go overboard.

But as to why TR isn't fawned over, given what a hotshot phenom young coach he is? Because he sucked as a player, even though he really didn't, firstly. But quite obviously the main reason would be his very, very, almost inextricably close relationship with BK, who is truly hated by ND fans. I mean is this even a serious question?

Year after year it was not the defense hampering ND when he was OC more or less it was the offense, coupled with the fact he did not kill it on the recruiting trail nor did he develop any QB, of course there were reports MF had to keep him because of connections. Most fans think ND could have done better, obviously, Denbrock is a major upgrade, which should have happened years ago.
His game plans were strictly vanilla lacking creativity or imagination. He is what he is not horribly bad or good. ND could have done better. I do not see what Bama sees in him or if he will be retained or if he heads to LSU, but nobody wishes any harm.

.000001% maybe?

Reactions: Pennick4
He was elite enough to get hired by Saban, who I'm pretty confident knows what he's doing, certainly more than anyone on this board

He was elite enough to get hired by Saban, who I'm pretty confident knows what he's doing, certainly more than anyone on this board
I believe they call that a fallacy by authority, or something like that. Just because Saban hired him, does not mean he's a great OC. People have already enumerated, I certainly have, the reasons why he might get hired by mighty Bama and the great Nick Saban, and still not be a proven, or not all that great an OC. Doesn't mean such arguments are correct, and that Saban was wrong, or his decision to hire TR was especially dubious, it's just not proof of anything. And if anything, even if TR was only okay as an OC, that any shortcomings on his part could be covered by coaching at such an otherwise super-dominant program, where every Bama OC of the last fifteen years did pretty damn well. And Bama would win either way.

Depending on what happens to him now, maybe we get to really see the real TR. If he ends up somewhere where he doesn't have so much in his favor from the start. And really has to outcoach his opponents, and not just ride the coattails of either BK, or Nick Saban himself....

He was polarizing as the QB. Never the most talented but given a ton of leeway. It continued in coaching as he seemed to get opportunities from bk when fans felt there were more qualified individuals. Add in that there was never a perception of him being successful as a QB coach...so moving him to OC was not received well...the. Then multiple questionable calls and lack of any in game changes to his game plan led to a perception of him thinking he was smarter than he was.... Then he left for bama... And we'll draw play just confirmed what many felt all along.

He's just polarizing. I wish him the best. But I do not think he's a good OC. I think he could be eventually.

I don't get your first sentence: given a ton of leeway? He was given leeway to get thrown into the fire as a freshman when Crist hurt his knee and to get thrown into the fire again when Crist seemingly cracked under the pressure the following year, and get thrown into the fire yet again the following year whenever Golson would choke, and finally get thrown into the fire his senior year when Golson was kicked out for cheating.

To me, as a QB, he did the best he could, given his physical limitations, and we were lucky to have him for four years.

I didn't think he was any great shake as an OC, but I certainly don't dislike him at all.

I honestly think the dislike of Rees is that he is seen as Brian Kelly's pet, and everyone who hates Kelly therefore hates Rees.

Reactions: 4-4-3
I don't get your first sentence: given a ton of leeway? He was given leeway to get thrown into the fire as a freshman when Crist hurt his knee and to get thrown into the fire again when Crist seemingly cracked under the pressure the following year, and get thrown into the fire yet again the following year whenever Golson would choke, and finally get thrown into the fire his senior year when Golson was kicked out for cheating.

To me, as a QB, he did the best he could, given his physical limitations, and we were lucky to have him for four years.

I didn't think he was any great shake as an OC, but I certainly don't dislike him at all.

I honestly think the dislike of Rees is that he is seen as Brian Kelly's pet, and everyone who hates Kelly therefore hates Rees.
He had an awesome career at ND. He truly did. He was an afterthought as a recruit, and ended up having a very colorful, very successful, very eventful career at ND. He's not an elite talent, it goes without saying, though he did play on a team that made the MNC. But he ended up two years as a full-time starter, where he performed very serviceably, he saved our season as a true frosh finishing with a 5 game winning streak, and played a vital, key role as Golson's mentor and emergency back on our MNC-game team. All four seasons on the roster TR was a difference maker for us in one way or another. When he probably shouldn't have played a single down if the QB position had been more ably stocked when he arrived at South Bend. And he put up some good numbers too, and was fairly prolific.

In fact his career was so successful that it surely played a major role in the quick start and swift rise in his coaching career, building that deep bond with BK. And who knows where he'd be as a coach without all that unexpected playing time.

Reactions: 4-4-3
Tell me something. Saban could hire any OC in the country so why Rees? Does anybody believe Tommy is the best OC in the country. I doubt it

Tell me something. Saban could hire any OC in the country so why Rees? Does anybody believe Tommy is the best OC in the country. I doubt it
Smart money knew this was Saban s last year….he settled and shopped in the disposable aisle!

Last edited:
Almost top 30 with a first year QB who isn't that good, certainly inexperienced. So I'd say they had a fine season to make the CFP
They are loaded with talent. No excuses. He said how much different the players were at bama so what is his excuse?

I don't think the point of the piece is that Rees was a great QB or an elite OC. Rather, I think the author makes the point that the vitriol directed at Rees, first as a player and then as an OC, is both unfair and misguided. I happen to agree with that point. I am not sure why so many ND fans long to see him fail, or wish him ill because he left ND to take the OC position at Alabama under the greatest coach in the modern game. One can fairly criticize Rees' ability to recruit and develop QBs while he was at ND, and his play calling acumen (or lack thereof), but that doesn't justify some of the mean spiritedness of the criticism that has been sent his way. Maybe he was average, as you opine, but should that make him an object of our scorn?
👍👍

.000001% maybe?

Isn‘t this board representative of the general fan base ?

Because they hated him when he was the QB. Because he 'sucked'. And so that's why.

There's no particular reason to be all proud of him either, that's just the other side of the coin. No need to hate or resent players that either sucked, or disappointed, or transferred or whatever. And you don't have to do it in the other direction, unless you had a particular fondness as a fan for a given player. A little bit, sure, but there's no reason to go overboard.

But as to why TR isn't fawned over, given what a hotshot phenom young coach he is? Because he sucked as a player, even though he really didn't, firstly. But quite obviously the main reason would be his very, very, almost inextricably close relationship with BK, who is truly hated by ND fans. I mean is this even a serious question?
“He sucked” ?

He was the starting QB for ND, meaning that he beat out all of the other QB’S for the job.

Why wouldn’t he want to be the OC for ND irrespective of who the coach was.

I just wonder how many of those being extremely critical of Tommy Rees actually attended Notre Dame, very few, I suspect

He was a student Notre Dame, a varsity athlete at Notre Dame, the starting quarterback at Notre Dame, and a coach at Notre Dame, went on to be the offensive coordinator at Alabama under Nick Saban

You should be proud of his accomplishments, instead of denigrating him

And once again, I state that I doubt that it’s Notre Dame graduates who are being critical of him.

I wish him the best of luck, and whatever he chooses to do

We should be proud of Tommy he took down Alabama, Georgia nexted??
This has to be one of the most ignorant posts of all time

It’s obvious that you never attended Notre Dame.

No Notre Dame graduate would attack Tommy Rees like you and Golson5 have

It’s obvious that you never attended Notre Dame.

No Notre Dame graduate would attack Tommy Rees like you and Golson5 have
I didn't attack him

I just don't think he's a very good OC right now.

Notre Dame alum and fans treated Charlie Weis terribly so why would Tommy be any different?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT