ADVERTISEMENT

Why aren’t Notre Dame fans proud of Tommy Rees?

Yet Tommy's offense scored more points vs Michigan than Grubbs offense, and that's with Grubb having a QB Heisman finalist in Penix. yea ok.
1. Sabans first choice was Grubb last year. Grubb turned him down and he settled for Tommy

2. Deboer kicked Tommy to the curb and is bringing Grubb with him

3. Washington averaged more ppg with Grubb the last 2 years than Tommy has at his both schools

4. Grubb is about to produce a 1st rd pick at QB. Something Tommy has never done in 6 years

5. Grubb is elite. Tommy is not

You're embarrassing yourself

The only ones that hate Tommy Rees are the loudmouths like golson and those whose small and pathetic lives are supposedly made better by hating on others

He did the best he could as a QB with limited physical ability
that is all anyone can ask
as an OC I was not happy but there is no indication it was because he did not work hard or try his best

hating on someone who does that just shows that YOU are the pathetic person
I dont hate Tommy.

Never said I did. I just don't think hes a good OC

How you defend him shows that you need to get off your knees and wipe your chin little guy

Nick Saban, the greatest coach in college football with seven national championships. Thanks that Tommy Rees was an excellent offensive coordinator.

What’s your experience in coaching college football teams?

Case closed

Reactions: NDinNJ
The only ones that hate Tommy Rees are the loudmouths like golson and those whose small and pathetic lives are supposedly made better by hating on others

He did the best he could as a QB with limited physical ability
that is all anyone can ask
as an OC I was not happy but there is no indication it was because he did not work hard or try his best

hating on someone who does that just shows that YOU are the pathetic person
👍👍👍👍

Nick Saban, the greatest coach in college football with seven national championships. Thanks that Tommy Rees was an excellent offensive coordinator.

What’s your experience in coaching college football teams?

Case closed
Very dumb ignorant comment

I dont hate Tommy.

Never said I did. I just don't think hes a good OC

How you defend him shows that you need to get off your knees and wipe your chin little guy
get off your butt and get an honest job instead of spending all day showing what a small person you are in all ways.

How many post have you had in this threat attacking Rees and you claim you dont hate him
WHAT A FLAT OUT LIAR YOU ARE

Reactions: Pennick4 and NDinNJ
get off your butt and get an honest job instead of spending all day showing what a small person you are in all ways.

How many post have you had in this threat attacking Rees and you claim you dont hate him
WHAT A FLAT OUT LIAR YOU ARE
I dont. I just don't think he's good at his job

1. Sabans first choice was Grubb last year. Grubb turned him down and he settled for Tommy

2. Deboer kicked Tommy to the curb and is bringing Grubb with him

3. Washington averaged more ppg with Grubb the last 2 years than Tommy has at his both schools

4. Grubb is about to produce a 1st rd pick at QB. Something Tommy has never done in 6 years

5. Grubb is elite. Tommy is not

You're embarrassing yourself

1. First off, a coach like Saban doesn't settle for anything. He wouldn't have won 7 Championships if he did. This is a moot point you make.

2. Most (99%) of the time, when a new head coach comes in they bring their own guys with them.

3. Washington had a far better QB, in fact you could say he was the 2nd best QB in all of college football since he finished 2nd in the Heisman votes.

4. Penix transferred from Indiana wasn't developed by Grubb.

You've been dropped on your head too many times or you are just slow.

If Grubb is elite than how is it he could only manage 13 point vs Michigan, only 15 vs ASU, 22 vs OSU, and 24 vs WSU with the 2nd best QB in all
of college football?

Omg 27 points in college! Let's throw a parade

OCs dont get credit for team wins. Thats what head coaches get. OCs get judged by their offense, period. His offense was okay
I'm convinced you are slow, so I'll take it easy on you moving forward.

Again If Grubb is elite than how is it he could only manage 13 point vs Michigan, only 15 vs ASU, 22 vs OSU, and 24 vs WSU with the 2nd best QB in all of college football?

Parker's offense managed to score 41 vs OSU.

OMG 13, 15, 22, and 24 points in college!! let's call Grubb elite!

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
The problem with articles like this is that they're going to the internet for the main point without properly acknowledging that the internet is where the psychotics run to and spout all their inane garbage.

I'd venture to say that the great majority of ND fans have no ill-will towards Tommy Rees and, in general, wish him well or are to a degree indifferent. The lunatics that spout the things they do here and places like Twitter are the vocal minority that just can't help but run to the internet and make themselves look like idiots. They’re just 5 year olds yelling for attention that need to be ignored.

Last edited:
The problem with articles like this is that they're going to the internet for the main point without properly acknowledging that the internet is where the psychotics run to and spout all their inane garbage.

I'd venture to say that the great majority of ND fans have no ill-will towards Tommy Rees and, in general, wish him well or are to a degree indifferent. The lunatics that spout the things they do here and places like Twitter are the vocal minority that just can't help but run to the internet and make themselves look like idiots. They’re just 5 year olds yelling for attention that need to be ignored.
It is based on a false click baity premise. The fanbase doesn't hate him but just acknowledged that he has not produced a top offense.

1. First off, a coach like Saban doesn't settle for anything. He wouldn't have won 7 Championships if he did. This is a moot point you make.

2. Most (99%) of the time, when a new head coach comes in they bring their own guys with them.

3. Washington had a far better QB, in fact you could say he was the 2nd best QB in all of college football since he finished 2nd in the Heisman votes.

4. Penix transferred from Indiana wasn't developed by Grubb.

You've been dropped on your head too many times or you are just slow.

If Grubb is elite than how is it he could only manage 13 point vs Michigan, only 15 vs ASU, 22 vs OSU, and 24 vs WSU with the 2nd best QB in all
of college football?
What a weak bunch of straight garbage !

1. He chose Grubb first. That's a fact

2. Not always. He chose Grubb just like Saban did

3. Penix was not known as a great college QB until Grubb

4. Again Way better with Grubb

Wow you are slipping. That was weak even for you

very well said
only morons think the internet holds all or even part of the truth

Again 99% of Head coaches bring in their own guys. You are just color blind by your hatred for Rees. You are acting bitter as if Rees stole your girlfriend.

Again you conveniently disregard the FACT that Grubb's offense only managed to score 13 points vs Michigan, only 15 vs ASU, 22 vs OSU, and 24 vs WSU with the 2nd best QB in all of college football?

Maybe Rees did steal your girlfriend.

Again 99% of Head coaches bring in their own guys. You are just color blind by your hatred for Rees. You are acting bitter as if Rees stole your girlfriend.

Again you conveniently disregard the FACT that Grubb's offense only managed to score 13 points vs Michigan, only 15 vs ASU, 22 vs OSU, and 24 vs WSU with the 2nd best QB in all of college football?

Maybe Rees did steal your girlfriend.
I'm not the one who said Rees is better than Grubb. You did. You made a dumb comment

So I listed the ways Grubb is superior. It's obvious.

I dont hate Rees. You just say that because you can't defend your argument. It's just weakness and silly. I dont think hes a good OC right now. Stop with the childish you hate Rees stuff. I thought you were grown.

Rees scored 17 against USF and I could go on and on with his shortcomings in specific games

Grubb had a better offense than he did the last 2 years. Period

I'm not the one who said Rees is better than Grubb. You did. You made a dumb comment

So I listed the ways Grubb is superior. It's obvious.

I dont hate Rees. You just say that because you can't defend your argument. It's just weakness and silly. I dont think hes a good OC right now. Stop with the childish you hate Rees stuff. I thought you were grown.

Rees scored 17 against USF and I could go on and on with his shortcomings in specific games

Grubb had a better offense than he did the last 2 years. Period
You clearly lack reading comprehension. Please prove where I stated Rees was better than Grubb.

I'm not defending Rees is better than Grubb, I'm proving what little knowledge you have about football.
I'm proving how wrong you are that Rees is not a good OC, when multiple coaches, including the GOAT of college coaches believes otherwise. You are really dumb.

You clearly lack reading comprehension. Please prove where I stated Rees was better than Grubb.

I'm not defending Rees is better than Grubb, I'm proving what little knowledge you have about football.
I'm proving how wrong you are that Rees is not a good OC, when multiple coaches, including the GOAT of college coaches believes otherwise. You are really dumb.
Yeah. You are just really really stupid

That's all you got because you know i'm right. Check mate b1tch, because that's what you are, a little b1tch.
It's not even fun debating you anymore. You laid down when you had nothing. It was pathetic and weak

Not only do you not know a thing about football, you're stupid and weak.

And you got embarrassed. Just sad.

Now get back on your knees, Tommy is coming over. He has a lot of extra time for you now

As Lee Corso likes to say, not so fast my friend.

I did some digging and found this article from a guy who blogs about Alabama football:

From the title of the piece, I thought it was going to be a hit piece on Tommy Rees. But it was far from it. (For perspectve, the article was written in February 2023, shortly after Rees was hired.) The author of the article did a pretty thorough look at Rees' numbers while he was OC at ND, and came away with this conclusion:

"With those three bullet points, I think I understand why Rees was chosen as Alabama’s next offensive coordinator. Those qualities— adapting the offense to your QB, making the run game a focus, and making sure the offense is designed to get the ball in your best player’s hands— Mark the three big things Saban wanted. They also match what we saw in the Kiffin and Sarkisian systems, and also likely would have with Lebby and Moorhead as the OC (they had non-scheme reasons for not getting the job). And also explains why Grubb, despite his success at UW, was not a fit."

The author also said this about Rees:

"So, with all of that, I went into Friday not knowing who Tommy Rees was, and, two days later, am legitimately excited.

"It’s not a hire without risk, for sure. He’s extremely young and only has three seasons of experience. And the lack of an explosive downfield passing game could be extremely detrimental if Alabama finds themselves down a score or two in tight games (think how many games they would have lost the last two years without some Bryce Young comeback heroics).

"On the other hand, Rees is, without a shadow of doubt in my mind, going to bring a much more imaginative and powerful rushing game to the Tide, and that in itself should keep Alabama in a better position in most games than they often were the last two seasons.

"For Saban’s part, I think he’s hiring Rees specifically for that improvement in the run game and banking on his own experience with Kiffin and Sarkisian’s passing concepts and Alabama’s significantly superior speed at WR to bolster Rees’s inexperienced areas."

While Grubb may have apparently interviewed first, Saban apparently came to the conclusion that he wasn't a fit for Bama.

At least in the mind of the Bama blogger I quoted, Grubb isn't nearly the offensive guru you think him to be, and Tommy Rees is a lot better than you give him credit for.

Last edited:
As Lee Corso likes to say, not so fast my friend.

I did some digging and found this article from a guy who blogs about Alabama footbal:

From the title of the piece, I thought it was going to be a hit piece on Tommy Rees. But it was far from it. (For perspectve, the article was written in February 2023, shortly after Rees was hired.) The author of the article did a pretty thorough look at Rees' numbers while he was OC at ND, and came away with this conclusion:

"With those three bullet points, I think I understand why Rees was chosen as Alabama’s next offensive coordinator. Those qualities— adapting the offense to your QB, making the run game a focus, and making sure the offense is designed to get the ball in your best player’s hands— Mark the three big things Saban wanted. They also match what we saw in the Kiffin and Sarkisian systems, and also likely would have with Lebby and Moorhead as the OC (they had non-scheme reasons for not getting the job). And also explains why Grubb, despite his success at UW, was not a fit."

The author also said this about Rees:

"So, with all of that, I went into Friday not knowing who Tommy Rees was, and, two days later, am legitimately excited.

"It’s not a hire without risk, for sure. He’s extremely young and only has three seasons of experience. And the lack of an explosive downfield passing game could be extremely detrimental if Alabama finds themselves down a score or two in tight games (think how many games they would have lost the last two years without some Bryce Young comeback heroics).

"On the other hand, Rees is, without a shadow of doubt in my mind, going to bring a much more imaginative and powerful rushing game to the Tide, and that in itself should keep Alabama in a better position in most games than they often were the last two seasons.

"For Saban’s part, I think he’s hiring Rees specifically for that improvement in the run game and banking on his own experience with Kiffin and Sarkisian’s passing concepts and Alabama’s significantly superior speed at WR to bolster Rees’s inexperienced areas."

While Grubb may have apparently interviewed first, Saban apparently came to the conclusion that he wasn't a fit for Bama.

At least in the mind of the Bama blogger I quoted, Grubb isn't nearly the offensive guru you think him to be, and Tommy Rees is a lot better than you give him credit for.
No use, Golson5 believes he knows more than coaches, reporters, and players, yet he's sitting in his parents basement trolling Rees and those supportive of Rees. He is the definition of a keyboard warrior. He's a complete loser. He just proves what a dummy he is with every post.

No use, Golson5 believes he knows more than coaches, reporters, and players, yet he's sitting in his parents basement trolling Rees and those supportive of Rees. He is the definition of a keyboard warrior. He's a complete loser. He just proves what a dummy he is with every post.

Sorry, NDinNJ, but I cannot go there with you. I try not to think ill of any poster here. I have mixed it up with Golson5 from time to time on this board, but I appreciate that he is always so assertive about his opinions, however wrong they may often be. Haha! Nothing wrong with that! Seriously, I have found that Golson5 adds some value to the board with his insights on recruiting, and I appreciate that. I don't follow recruiting that closely, and I enjoy hearing from guys that do. He is certainly a prolific poster, though there are times I wish he wasn't quite so prolific, such as when he and Patrirish get into one of their verbal and name calling jousts. But it's a free country, and I suppose they would say if you don't like it, don't read it. To each his own.

“Ouch” ?

You and Golson5 are “dumb and dumber” and the fact that you think that Golson5’s simple minded, vapid and flawed response to my post had an iota of substance and merit to it would identify you as the “dumber” one !

And it’s almost impossible to get dumber than Golson5, but somehow you did it !

OUCH !

I cannot believe this thread has lasted this long. If Rees is such a commodity why hasn’t he been offered a job by now? A lot of schools have already filled their vacancies? Okay, it is a little early and the jury is still out that is fair enough. Let’s just see what kind of job he gets next. There are several openings available such as SDST with year round great weather in a good recruiting region.
We will see in the near future who is right the ND board people or all of the college administrators. I have no bad feelings about him for all we know right now it could go either way, but Michigan State, Arizona, Alabama, plus several other schools have not given him even the time of day.

Reactions: Golson5
That's where those that have a disdain or dislike for Rees are wrong. It wasn't his fault he was thrust into the starting QB role at ND. Blame BK for that. Rees was simply a scholarship player who happened to get the nod by the HC and OC. Blame the coaching staff for not recruiting better.

As for becoming OC at ND, again the HC made the decision to hire Rees, so to have any type of dislike or disdain for Rees is ridiculous.

Let's put it this way, Put yourself in Rees' shoes. HC tells you, you are QB1, are you going to say sorry coach, I don't think I am, give it to someone else?
Same for the OC position, HC extends you an offer to be OC of ND, are you going to say, sorry coach, I don't believe I'm ready? 😂 no one on this forum would do that unless you are complete loser.
No doubt he was appointed QB and OC at ND but just like any position in the world, just because you’re in it doesn’t mean you’re qualified or excelling in that role. Just think about the most powerful office and position in the world…

I don’t hate Rees at all. However, I do not believe that he’s a great OC and thought ND jumped the gun by giving him that role with no experience under his belt.

I don’t hate Rees at all. However, I do not believe that he’s a great OC and thought ND jumped the gun by giving him that role with no experience under his belt.
"What you noticed right away was how bright he was, how prepared he was, and then you saw how good he was with the players and the way he went about teaching the players," Saban said. "You've seen that play out on the field this year.

"He's transformed our offense. I think he's one of the best coaches in college football."

I'll go with Sabans opinion over any poster, he seems to know what he's talking about

"What you noticed right away was how bright he was, how prepared he was, and then you saw how good he was with the players and the way he went about teaching the players," Saban said. "You've seen that play out on the field this year.

"He's transformed our offense. I think he's one of the best coaches in college football."

I'll go with Sabans opinion over any poster, he seems to know what he's talking about

Ok. You’re absolutely entitled to your opinion

I gotta say, that is exceedingly high praise. Almost gushing. Not what you typically hear, I suppose, from a fairly hard-assed coach like Nick Saban. So I'm not sure what to make of that. It's certainly not negative....

I agree with you in that he should not have been hired as OC at ND. Many on this forum, including myself believe that ND should not be a program where you learn on the job, but ND seems to revel in hiring first time coaches.

Sure when you compare Rees to other OC's that have been coaching upwards of 20 years, experience plays a factor like in any profession. As Rees gains more experience, I'm sure he'll improve his skills and get better.

Reactions: NotreDomer1

I'll go with stats over made for media puff comments. and the stats say Bama's 2023 offense fell short of the top 25.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT