ADVERTISEMENT

WR recruiting. The question needs to be answered

theskibro

I've posted how many times?
Aug 24, 2003
Why can’t we get top level WR recruits ?

This cycle looks to be a disaster. We have the need and opportunity to close on 3 receivers. Hines meadows and Robinson.
There is a very high probability we strike out.

This position is now the hardest to recruit for us. It used to be D line. Now is WR

It was understandable that del Alexander was horrible. It was understandable that Stuckey had limitations as a coach but he still landed James, Flores and Greathouse

And some just did not pan out. Ala Merriweather and That kid from Missouri Jordan

But this year we have a Heisman qb and Deb Rick so our offense should be very attractive

I don’t get it. Maybe a WR recruit is looking for more flash than South Bend can offer

Last edited:
Reactions: chaseball

This cycle looks to be a disaster. We have the need and opportunity to close on 3 receivers. Hines meadows and Robinson.

This position is now the hardest to recruit for us. It used to be D line. Now is WR

It was understandable that del Alexander was horrible. It was understandable that Stuckey had limitations as a coach but he still landed James, Flores and Greathouse

And some just did not pan out. Ala Merriweather and That kid from Missouri Jordan

But this year we have a Heisman qb and Deb Rick so our offense should be very attractive

I don’t get it. Maybe a WR recruit is looking for more flash than South Bend can offer
We haven't produced a good wr since 2019. Yes we have the recruits but we haven't had very good qb play here either. Our offense has been run first, OL and TE driven

I'm sure the WR recruits want to actually see the product on the field. If we have a big year throwing the ball this year that should take care of itself

Reactions: NDinNJ and Kelso86

I watched Michigan win a title running the football. And running the football with a purpose. I don’t even know who their WR’s were. But I know who Blake Corum is.

At a place like Notre Dame, with the OL kids that are attracted to South Bend, running the football should be priority 1. And priority 2.

Then, throw the football off play action.

Does WR recruiting need to improve? Sure.

That said, run the damn football well.

ND has not had a consistent downfield passing game in a long time. The lack of spreading the ball around, the lack of a consistent QB to be able to do that (think of a Justin Fields, Trevor Lawrence type of QB's), the lack of consistent play calling to do that (Rees, Parker) has been an issue. As an old poster points out, ND was consistently running the dink and dunk routes and not making strides to get the ball downfield do not appeal to the top end WR's (look at OSU's WR room -- or anyone with top end WR talent -- do you think they would have survived at ND?). ND, for the most part, has been conservative in this department. And, injuries to the WR room have not been kind to ND in recent years.

Now, if Denbrock proves that ND is willing to spread the ball around, get it downfield to allow the WR's to make plays and make it exciting, then yes, the WR recruiting should pick as well (I think Golson mentioned something about this as well). ND's QB room finally has what appears to be very good talent in house, and what is coming (potentially) -- how that gets used in the coming years will also dictate WR recruiting as well.

Reactions: NDinNJ and Telx1

I would say that calling Riley Leonard a Heisman QB is a bit of a stretch.

But to provide an answer to your question, can it be a personality thing a little? I think there is a reason why very large nerdy dungeons and dragons playing O-linemen are attracted to an academic institution like ND for the reasons an overconfident Rico Suave type of WR would not be.

We signed 7, 4 stars......maybe 1 arguable 5 start (Cam) in the last 3 years.......signing seems less of a problem than keeping......

We signed 7, 4 stars......maybe 1 arguable 5 start (Cam) in the last 3 years.......signing seems less of a problem than keeping......
"signing seems less of a problem than keeping....."

If keeping them appears to be the problem, why is that?

These receivers haven’t yet committed publicly, and it’s not over until signing day. I get the sense that Meadows will commit to ND. Just a feeling primarily based on him moving up his commitment date.

Sometimes you just don’t get your guys. That’s the primary reason IMO. They had a good haul in 2023, and a pretty good haul in 2024. They’re not done for 2025. There doesn’t have to always be a reason.

I think it’s overstated about ND’s past WR performance and draft history though I do think it counts for something.

ND threw for 3205 yards last season. LSU threw for 4406. That looks like a big difference, and it kind of is, but divide that by 13 games and it’s a 92 YPG passing advantage. Now divide that with 4 or 5 other pass catchers. We’re talking about 18-23 YPG per receiver. The numbers might not even be that good. Is that really that big of deal?

Plus LSU’s defense was horrible. They needed to throw more. They were in a lot tighter games than ND. LSU also had two receivers that were by far the biggest reception leaders. It’s not like they have 5-6 guys with 55 receptions.

I understand perception, but if those numbers are that big of a deal to recruits, when ND is accumulating serious QB talent, and a top coordinator, then maybe they’re better off being somewhere else.

These receivers haven’t yet committed publicly, and it’s not over until signing day. I get the sense that Meadows will commit to ND. Just a feeling primarily based on him moving up his commitment date.

Sometimes you just don’t get your guys. That’s the primary reason IMO. They had a good haul in 2023, and a pretty good haul in 2024. They’re not done for 2025. There doesn’t have to always be a reason.

I think it’s overstated about ND’s past WR performance and draft history though I do think it counts for something.

ND threw for 3205 yards last season. LSU threw for 4406. That looks like a big difference, and it kind of is, but divide that by 13 games and it’s a 92 YPG passing advantage. Now divide that with 4 or 5 other pass catchers. We’re talking about 18-23 YPG per receiver. The numbers might not even be that good. Is that really that big of deal?

Plus LSU’s defense was horrible. They needed to throw more. They were in a lot tighter games than ND. LSU also had two receivers that were by far the biggest reception leaders. It’s not like they have 5-6 guys with 55 receptions.

I understand perception, but if those numbers are that big of a deal to recruits, when ND is accumulating serious QB talent, and a top coordinator, then maybe they’re better off being somewhere else.
The fact is, ND has gotten decent recruits and in most cases they have regressed. Last year multiple transferred... Tyree I believe was very open about learning routing running via you tube because he wasn't getting help from a coach. Two bad coaching hires and then two archaic run approaches to the offense from Rees and Parker give other schools a lot to recruit against.

The fact is, ND has gotten decent recruits and in most cases they have regressed. Last year multiple transferred... Tyree I believe was very open about learning routing running via you tube because he wasn't getting help from a coach. Two bad coaching hires and then two archaic run approaches to the offense from Rees and Parker give other schools a lot to recruit against.
I wouldn’t go along with the archaic comment. The goal is to win the game, and the coach should do whatever they feel is necessary to meet that goal. Rees did a lot of the same stuff at Alabama. I don’t think Saban would go for the archaic comment.

If ND had better receivers, they might have thrown the ball more. Same thing with receivers being younger and injured. ND did what it had to in order to win.

The WR coach has been replaced. I don’t think a recruit is going to hold ND to account for what happened under a previous coordinator and WR coach.

Getting none of those three really hurts. Might be a pretty awful WR recruiting class if we don’t land any. With that said it’s a position with a lot of solid transfers every year, and our receiver group last class was above average.

Getting none of those three really hurts. Might be a pretty awful WR recruiting class if we don’t land any. With that said it’s a position with a lot of solid transfers every year, and our receiver group last class was above average.
If we miss out on all 3 we have to have a big year and flip some people at the end

18-23 yards per receiver advantage is huge. If the goal for a receiver is to hit 100 yards receiving per game that 18-23 yards is almost a quarter of the goal.

18-23 yards per receiver advantage is huge. If the goal for a receiver is to hit 100 yards receiving per game that 18-23 yards is almost a quarter of the goal.
I wouldn’t call it huge though I concede it’s not negligible. To the point of recruiting, should that really be that big of a deal to a recruit? Would a recruit rather have 65 yards and win, or 85 yards and lose?

That number last year was with a converted RB, young, and injured receivers. A star receiver doesn’t have much to worry about. If he’s that good, he can expect to get the ball with ND’s QB’s.

I wouldn’t call it huge though I concede it’s not negligible. To the point of recruiting, should that really be that big of a deal to a recruit? Would a recruit rather have 65 yards and win, or 85 yards and lose?

That number last year was with a converted RB, young, and injured receivers. A star receiver doesn’t have much to worry about. If he’s that good, he can expect to get the ball with ND’s QB’s.
We haven't produced a top wr since 2019. It's a problem

Reactions: mirer03 and NDinNJ
We haven't produced a top wr since 2019. It's a problem
My post was more geared towards the lack of receiving production being an issue with recruiting. I acknowledged the draft though I don’t think it’s a big issue.

ND had a receiver drafted each year from the 2010-2021 NFL drafts minus 2013 and 2015. Why hasn’t that continued? Look at the 2020 class. Three receivers. One low caliber recruit, Watts moved to safety. Another guy transferred after his freshman year. Looks like they’re not getting the NFL caliber players out of high school or circumstances have led to no draftees.

The problem originated before the drought. It doesn’t help, but it’s not the reason.

Last edited:
My post was more geared towards the lack of receiving production being an issue with recruiting. I acknowledged the draft though I don’t think it’s a big issue.

ND had a receiver drafted each year from the 2010-2021 NFL drafts minus 2013 and 2015. Why hasn’t that continued? Look at the 2020 class. Three receivers. One low caliber recruit, Watts moved to safety. Another guy transferred after his freshman year. Looks like they’re not getting the NFL caliber players out of high school or circumstances have led to no draftees.

The problem originated before the drought. It doesn’t help, but it’s not the reason.
Average QBs, average OCs, bad WR coach

Reactions: NDinNJ
Didn’t seem to hurt Claypool and Boykin.

I believe I’ve heard Rob Ianello wasn’t a good coach under Weis. Didn’t seem to hurt Golden Tate and Michael Floyd.
When you don't have top level talent and you need guys to be developed by the wr coach, it does hurt.

Claypool and Boykin weren't good until their sr years. And Claypool is a freak. That should have told you

When you don't have top level talent and you need guys to be developed by the wr coach, it does hurt.

Claypool and Boykin weren't good until their sr years. And Claypool is a freak. That should have told you

You say they haven’t had a top end WR since 2019. I point out that they were getting guys drafted yearly and it looks like the recruiting may have taken a hit (2020 class was erased). You say bad WR coach. I counter with Tate, Floyd, Boykin, Claypool. You ignore Tate and Floyd and turn it into “Claypool and Boykin weren’t good until their sr years.”

My response: so what? They still made it to the NFL. They had poor coaching according to some and yet they still were highly drafted.

Claypool and Boykin weren’t good until they were seniors? Maybe they were just behind other players that were better? Naturally a freshman and sophomore isn’t going to be “good” as frequently. Even if they weren’t good, you’re saying the bad WR coach made them good in their senior year? Good enough to get highly drafted? Doesn’t seem to make sense.

Or are you saying their natural gifts made them good? Well if that’s the case, it sounds like recruiting is the issue like I said a few posts above.

You say Claypool is a freak. Well that seems to support my argument that recruiting is the issue. He was a freak you say. Then he was going pro anyway. Recruiting.

We’re doing a lot of twisting and turning in this conversation. The answer is simple IMO. They’re not recruiting well enough.

SMH reading this crap.

You say they haven’t had a top end WR since 2019. I point out that they were getting guys drafted yearly and it looks like the recruiting may have taken a hit (2020 class was erased). You say bad WR coach. I counter with Tate, Floyd, Boykin, Claypool. You ignore Tate and Floyd and turn it into “Claypool and Boykin weren’t good until their sr years.”

My response: so what? They still made it to the NFL. They had poor coaching according to some and yet they still were highly drafted.

Claypool and Boykin weren’t good until they were seniors? Maybe they were just behind other players that were better? Naturally a freshman and sophomore isn’t going to be “good” as frequently. Even if they weren’t good, you’re saying the bad WR coach made them good in their senior year? Good enough to get highly drafted? Doesn’t seem to make sense.

Or are you saying their natural gifts made them good? Well if that’s the case, it sounds like recruiting is the issue like I said a few posts above.

You say Claypool is a freak. Well that seems to support my argument that recruiting is the issue. He was a freak you say. Then he was going pro anyway. Recruiting.

We’re doing a lot of twisting and turning in this conversation. The answer is simple IMO. They’re not recruiting well enough.
The wr coa h for Tate and Floyd weren't the same as when it was Claypool and Boykin so that is a terrible point by you.

The fact it took Claypool and Boykin til their Sr years to make a huge impact has to have some blame on the Wr coach

I'm not twisting and turning, you just aren't comprehending

It's not just one thing, recruiting. It's been multiple issues over the years including recruiting

You may be right, he does needs to stay healthy to be even considered.
Let’s re-visit this in Nov/Dec.
OL play will dictate the offensive season.

So goes the OL so goes Riley Leonard.

And IMO and many others the OL is a concern for this 2024 team.

Reactions: Telx1 and geisha
You may be right, he does needs to stay healthy to be even considered.
Let’s re-visit this in Nov/Dec.
The odds of Leonard winning the Heisman are +2500. He has zero shot. Will he be a candidate, everyone is a candidate, will he be a serious candidate, No.

Reactions: Chitown11
Last years WR room was phenomenal. The best (as a team) that we've had maybe ever.

Then half of them transferred.

I'm not worried about these guys at all.
Were you born yesterday? Best WR room ever? 😂

I think we loose all 3
Hines - USC due to NIL upwards of 300K is what I am hearing but I have no source other than what is public. IMO not a good ROI for a freshman

Meadows - I think it will be Bama over LSU. I can think about BK getting a win here but Meadows from what I have read wants to play in the SEC.

Robinson - Washington - They have told him he will have the possibility to play both ways. He might prefer playing defense over offense. We don't need more CBs unless he would be able to beat our Dallas Golden or any of the others that are ranked above him.

I don't think ND has had a game changing receiver other than a 1 year wonder (Boykin, Claypool etc) since Fuller (2014 and 2015 - last receiver to have back to back years of 1000+ yards in receiving) when most of these recruits were still single digits in age.

Kinda odd considering the QB room we have.
You would think guys would be lining up to catch passes from cj Carr etc.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT