ADVERTISEMENT

WR recruiting. The question needs to be answered

“I don’t particularly like the guy…”

That’s being kind.

The dude is an asshole.
I could see soft people thinking that way. Overly sensitive types don't hurt my feelings type of people

And I don't care if he is an ahole or not I care about the information

I went from following Bryan Driskell
I could see soft people thinking that way. Overly sensitive types don't hurt my feelings type of people
“I don’t particularly like the guy…”—-Golson.

Neither do I.

I haven't read the whole thread yet but wanted to respond to this first.

Having a big year "throwing the ball" won't "take care of itself"

Having a football program loaded with NIL budget to entice big time prospects will though.

I feel like every conversation comes down to this point regarding NDs talent-acquisition right now.

ND *********DESPERATELY********* needs:

• MORE NIL/signing bonus money allocated to HS prospects (high 4 star and 5 star prospects)
  • MORE SALESMEN on the coaching staff willing to scrape/claw/fight for a recruit savagely down to the last day of the cycle
  • MORE RECRUITING WAR TOLERANCE e.g. "we're going to do what it takes to close on this prospect" and "we're going to fight for a prospect we really want even if he commits to another school" instead of "here's our list of demands in order to be an ND football player, take it or leave it"
  • MORE RISK TOLERANCE in the football program (e.g. blow $5M on the #1 prospect in the country) take a chance on a superstar prospect stop being so god damn penny pinching and valuing prospects at $0 this isn't 1985 anymore
  • MORE FACILITIES/LUXURIES/PERKS
  • MORE PLAYER-FIRST CULTURE (be fun, hip, cool, edgy, spoil the athletes for the multi billion dollar producing gems that they are) and stop taking yourself so damn seriously. I feel like ND can't take a joke and the brand is way too stuffy these days and it's repelling prospects that have options to play football anywhere.
  • MORE RECRUITING STAFF/BIGGER OPERATIONS BUDGET. Take a note from Georgia's recruiting operation ... they have a whole recruiting department the size of entire football operations budgets these days.

THIS is what would move the needle.

ALL OF THE STUFF ND REFUSES TO DO

"The impediment to action advances action. What stands in the way becomes the way." -
Marcus Aurelius
ND will not and is not providing upfront money to recruits. Period.

ND has very lucrative nil opportunities however that are more than competitive once in campus.

The same Driskall that evaluated Buchner and stated he was dynamic and will light it up as a starter? 😂 🤣
This is simply incorrect.

Driskalls was a buchner fan, but that's when compared to pyne, book, angeli. The guys that BK was getting on the regular....and yes buchner was a huge upgrade. Covid simply robbed him of a very valuable year of development.

He's also been very clear that guys like Mickey, care, knight etc are a tiers above where buchner was.

If your going to use examples of others work at least set the perspective correctly.

Driskalls was a buchner fan, but that's when compared to pyne, book, angeli. The guys that BK was getting on the regular....and yes buchner was a huge upgrade. Covid simply robbed him of a very valuable year of development.

He's also been very clear that guys like Mickey, care, knight etc are a tiers above where buchner was.

If your going to use examples of others work at least set the perspective correctly.
A garbage post.

Reactions: Pennick4
ND will not and is not providing upfront money to recruits. Period.

ND has very lucrative nil opportunities however that are more than competitive once in campus.
Every sport where millions of dollars are made organizations are paying millions of dollars for talent even straight out of high school.

What makes Notre Dame immune to doing the same thing?

“Never wrestle with a pig. Both of you get dirty, and the pig enjoys it.”

Reactions: NDinNJ
Knock yourself out.

Again, maybe you can get 3 viewers.

If you knew how to use a computer, you would see that I forwarded a different thread. You said nothing in that thread because it was not according to your narrative. And you are unable to develop an original thought. Because, well, you know..

robert deniro bar GIF
Knock myself out with what, get 3 viewers for what, a podcast? a football forum? Where did I ever say I can run a football podcast or forum?

I'm well versed in using a computer, if you only knew how well.
You "forwarded" a different thread? Where did you forward it too? At least use the correct terminology. 🤣
I'm not the sheeple, you seem to be, placing someone on a pedestal and following their every word religiously. I suggest you stop deflecting what you are onto others.

Every sport where millions of dollars are made organizations are paying millions of dollars for talent even straight out of high school.

Because technically, it's against the rules. I suggest you go read up on NIL and quit wasting your time on that pathetic F+ crap that isn't even a factor in college football rankings or the CFP.

Because technically, it's against the rules. I suggest you go read up on NIL and quit wasting your time on that pathetic F+ crap that isn't even a factor in college football rankings or the CFP.
Technically?

Call a spade a spade.

Reactions: NDinNJ

Wait so Driskall calls Buchner a dynamic QB who will light it up as a starter, yet he ended up losing the starting job, transferring to Alabama, got an opportunity to start and performed horrible.
Angeli has performed better than Buchner. 😂

Your excuses are as pathetic as you are. Do better.

Wait so Driskall calls Buchner a dynamic QB who will light it up as a starter, yet he ended up losing the starting job, transferring to Alabama, got an opportunity to start and performed horrible.

Tyler Buchner had three starts in South Bend. Start 1 was a loss at Ohio St., start 2 TB suffered a regular season ending injury, and the other start was an MVP performance in a Notre Dame bowl game.

Last edited:

They simply aren't. And the discussion is a non starter

I'm done with you child. You offer nothing and have nothing to stand on but your asinine assumptions.

Welcome to the block list

Bye felicia

Floyd did go first round. Nice catch.

When I initially asked chatgpt, it left out Tim Brown. So I asked it to include him and it came back and said yes, and it added MacAfee. MacAfee correctly being TE in NFL but he was WR at ND.

Then I asked it to include Rocket and it correctly stated that Rocket went to CFL and was not a first round pick.

The point I was making was ND is bringing in big time recruits at WR. But we lost a bunch last year and still have great talent ready to go this year. Last year the room was young but very talented. ie: they recruited great talent.

I'm not worried about the room this year.
Samardzija was also told he would be selected in the first round between picks 20-32 if you care to include him although he skipped the draft.

I Forgot you get all your evaluations right and are never wrong

I don’t really watch or listen to Driskall and didn’t even know his comments on Buchner.

I do watch Goolsby and he was a big Buchner guy.

Tyler Buchner had three starts in South Bend. Start 1 was a loss at Ohio St., start 2 TB suffered a regular season ending injury, and the other start was an MVP performance in a Notre Dame bowl game.
Ok, but he was far from dynamic. Also I was hoping for his success, even after he transferred, I certainly wasn't a hater of Buchner.

Please, Driskall has made many mistakes, and no I'm not going to do your research and list each one. Don't have time for that.
Of course he has. He evaluates HS players. Every single evaluator that does the same has made many many mistakes. It's very common

You can't accuse me of being a talent evaluator....However, the upgrade in the quarterback room (which is substantial, imo) combined with the upgrade in offensive coordinator, combined with another year of HC experience led me to believe that the wide receiver recruiting would exceed where it currently sits. Now, it ain't over, to be sure....but this year's results recruiting at wideout appears to be less than reaching potential. I hope my lack of talent evaluation skills continues as is....being wrong will make me smile.

You can't accuse me of being a talent evaluator....However, the upgrade in the quarterback room (which is substantial, imo) combined with the upgrade in offensive coordinator, combined with another year of HC experience led me to believe that the wide receiver recruiting would exceed where it currently sits. Now, it ain't over, to be sure....but this year's results recruiting at wideout appears to be less than reaching potential. I hope my lack of talent evaluation skills continues as is....being wrong will make me smile.
It's not over and Brown came in late. If we can't add anyone in this class and he struggles next year, then the problem will have to be addressed

"However, the upgrade in the quarterback room (which is substantial, imo) combined with the upgrade in offensive coordinator, combined with another year of HC experience led me to believe that the wide receiver recruiting would exceed where it currently sits. Now, it ain't over, to be sure....but this year's results recruiting at wideout appears to be less than reaching potential"

Yes, there are upgrades and MF has another year of experience, and, MF got probably one of the best OC's in the country to come back to ND. Also, ND released a lackluster WR coach and brought in one better. All good, positive moves.

But, until ND proves it on the field, the WR's looking at potentially coming to ND, will probably take a wait and see attitude. ND has not developed and produced WR's (look at the OSU's, Bama's, GA, Washington, Oregon ... and all the others) and ND has not consistently thrown the ball downfield to inspire WR's to look at ND --

"However, the upgrade in the quarterback room (which is substantial, imo) combined with the upgrade in offensive coordinator, combined with another year of HC experience led me to believe that the wide receiver recruiting would exceed where it currently sits. Now, it ain't over, to be sure....but this year's results recruiting at wideout appears to be less than reaching potential"

Yes, there are upgrades and MF has another year of experience, and, MF got probably one of the best OC's in the country to come back to ND. Also, ND released a lackluster WR coach and brought in one better. All good, positive moves.

But, until ND proves it on the field, the WR's looking at potentially coming to ND, will probably take a wait and see attitude. ND has not developed and produced WR's (look at the OSU's, Bama's, GA, Washington, Oregon ... and all the others) and ND has not consistently thrown the ball downfield to inspire WR's to look at ND --
Notre Dame hasn't had a successful NFL QB is many years.

Certainly doesn't hurt QB recruiting.

What's your spin with that?

1. Gino Guidigli is loved by a lot of recruits. He's a very good recruiter and he has been here for about a year and a half s now building relationships

2. The amount of NIL money that Hartman and Riley are rumored to have gotten is very intriguing. Now imagine if you are a homegrown ND QB that is really good. $$$

Basically -- if I am a talented WR, I want to go where the ball is being thrown down the field and having a QB who can do that.

ND has not had good QB's overall for many years -- save for a few decent ones -- who have gotten the ball downfield to a receiver with any consistency (yes, while recruitment has not been issue, development has been -- as it has been beaten many times on this board).

Yes, steps have been taken to address those things, but, now is the time to prove it. This is why Denbrock was brought in. Prove ND can be a very passing team (the run game is, has been and always will be ND's calling card). Then yes, WR recruiting can begin to excel like fans expect.

It just means ND will dip into free agency/portal to fill near future needs. Reality of new cfb.

It just means ND will dip into free agency/portal to fill near future needs. Reality of new cfb.
I am responding to the overall comments that seem to have deviated from our zero success in recent wr recruiting to a bashing of Driskell and talent evaluation

First, my biggest disappointment with wr recruiting is that we seem to make the same mistakes as we do with other position recruiting - we stop recruiting kids, many of whom like ND. And discard them and put effort into a more narrow pool of recruits There are many examples of this. And we continue to get burnt

Second— whether it’s Driskell, Goolsby, Tommy Rees or Brian Kelly - there have been many fails when it comes to talent evaluation. Buchner is a common element among all of them. Does that make them worthless?

Well, no. Only one of them is worthless and can’t dance

Now Driskell may like to hear himself talk but I absolutely think most of his opinion is spot on and there is no better example of that than his evaluation of the the red face Cajun talking, adoration seeking tool Baton Rouge

One more thing. Our QB recruiting was horrendous under Kelly. An embarrassment. Yet we attracted some nice wideouts. I do not put much value in the argument that meadows or other recruits went to LSU and not ND because we don’t have not put receivers in the league.

We have Denbrock. That did not help this cycle. I think it’s more about where these kids feel comfortable and who their parents push for. Meadows father pushed for LSU. Kids are kids. They don’t know much. Crap happens. So when a kid spurns ND it is because ultimately crap happens. They make a choice and it may not make sense to us, but it does to them

Think voting. Enough said

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT