ADVERTISEMENT

When asked about QB’s in the transfer portal Marcus

Dec 29, 2005
said “I really like the guys in this room”.

I, like many here knew and have said these QB’s weren’t good.

I also admit I thought Harry Hiestand would be a strong addition. I made a Freemanesque judgement on that one.

From what I recall.
Freeman asked Rees is there’s a QB on the roster that can win a championship and Rees replied YES. Meaning Buchner.

Reactions: adrian1477
ND won’t allow undergrad transfers. Their arrogance just can’t stand it.
It’s because they don’t have the academic credits to transfer. Then again, you want ND to compromise its academic standards to please you. Again, you just don’t understand ND. Go follow Alabama or Ohio State. You’ll be much happier following them.

It’s because they don’t have the academic credits to transfer. Then again, you want ND to compromise its academic standards to please you. Again, you just don’t understand ND. Go follow Alabama or Ohio State. You’ll be much happier following them.
👍

Negative. I want ND to be relevant in CFB again. Stuffy, old alumni like you always clutch your pearls when we talk about changes that can help ND recruit the best. Like I said before Clashmore Mike, ND’s rich tradition is centered around having a strong football program, not alumni like you.

Negative. I want ND to be relevant in CFB again. Stuffy, old alumni like you always clutch your pearls when we talk about changes that can help ND recruit the best. Like I said before Clashmore Mike, ND’s rich tradition is centered around having a strong football program, not alumni like you.
Where did you go to college?

Where did you go to college?
The ivy league of Iowa... "THE" St. Ambrose University. Let me guess, your next step will be to call me stupid or dumb just like you did with Tony Rice behind his back. You're one of "those" people with the holier than thou attitude. Keep clutching your pearls and being an arrogant POS.

Reactions: Airzee23
The ivy league of Iowa... "THE" St. Ambrose University. Let me guess, your next step will be to call me stupid or dumb just like you did with Tony Rice behind his back. You're one of "those" people with the holier than thou attitude. Keep clutching your pearls and being an arrogant POS.
Cry more.

ND won’t allow undergrad transfers. Their arrogance just can’t stand it.
You know what ND “is”. Why act upset or surprised by values that ND hasn’t budged on in decades?

Not taking a shot at you, or looking for an argument, but genuinely: You know what ND “is”.

And for the record: St Ambrose is a great place!!

You know what ND “is”. Why act upset or surprised by values that ND hasn’t budged on in decades?

Not taking a shot at you, or looking for an argument, but genuinely: You know what ND “is”.

And for the record: St Ambrose is a great place!!
Mike - I agree with you 100%. I'm not saying that ND should be the next Texas A&M. All I said in my original post was this: "Remember Prop 48? It allowed a kid named Tony Rice to come to ND who would have never gotten in otherwise. Why can't ND take 3 - 5 kids each cycle who don't have the grades for ND but do for the NCAA standards? The players already get tutors? Give some of these guys a chance. Would it kill ND to do that? Would it diminish our standing in the academic world? No."
And yes, St. Ambrose was the best 4 years of my life! Loved it!

It’s hard not to be discouraged by “current state” of the QB room. Several here on the board questioned it for months, i ignored them, and felt that Buchner was going to be the absolute answer. 2 games in, and the challenges throwing are clear.

I guess I’m still optimistic that TB will he “the guy”. But a former player asked me this morning: “if Buchner isn’t the guy, then who’s the QB next season?” I had no good answer. Maybe Angeli?

It’s hard not to be discouraged by “current state” of the QB room. Several here on the board questioned it for months, i ignored them, and felt that Buchner was going to be the absolute answer. 2 games in, and the challenges throwing are clear.

I guess I’m still optimistic that TB will he “the guy”. But a former player asked me this morning: “if Buchner isn’t the guy, then who’s the QB next season?” I had no good answer. Maybe Angeli?
If Agenli is the QB in 23, the next question is who is the coach in 24?

You post the same thing all the time. We get it. ND’s football program will always be a dumpster fire. 90% of people know this.

First order of business is to see how Pyne does and what level of play Agneli is capable of. If neither of these two proves out, and Buchner doesn't play better, the only option is the TRANSFER PORTAL.

Fact is, ND may now have to live through an UNCOMFORTABLE TRANSITION PERIOD. Simply dance with the girl it brung.

I hope not, but barring SERIOUS FUNDAMENTAL CHANGE, it's certainly a POSSIBILITY. There are times the well runs dry.

Its not arrogance, it's policy. Live with it.
So ND shouldn't adjust it's "policy" to the modern CFB landscape? This game has been passing us by since Holtz left and we pioneered a TV deal with NBC. We have done NOTHING since then except for for a couple flashes in the pan that all led to us getting crushed by superior teams. But hey! Let's keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.

So ND shouldn't adjust it's "policy" to the modern CFB landscape? This game has been passing us by since Holtz left and we pioneered a TV deal with NBC. We have done NOTHING since then except for for a couple flashes in the pan that all led to us getting crushed by superior teams. But hey! Let's keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different

UND is an academic institution, and they ain't changing a policy like this. Live with it.

UND is an academic institution, and they ain't changing a policy like this. Live with it.
They did back in the 80's with Prop 48. Gave us a kid named Tony Rice. Maybe you remember him? Oh yeah, we also won a Natty with him at the helm. ND can be an academic university AND be a football powerhouse. Live with that....

So by this logic, ND should just become the next Vandy or Duke in CFB? I could have sworn Marcus Freeman said we're here to win a national championship....

They did back in the 80's with Prop 48. Gave us a kid named Tony Rice. Maybe you remember him? Oh yeah, we also won a Natty with him at the helm. ND can be an academic university AND be a football powerhouse. Live with that....
Rice attended class and graduated.

Are you positive that ND can compete against schools where attendance and graduation aren’t priorities ?

I see the Transfer Portal as a major challenge that will work against ND, northwestern, Duke and other schools with higher academic standards.

ND adheres to the student-athlete concept.
How do you compete against teams with lower standards ?

Rice attended class and graduated.

Are you positive that ND can compete against schools where attendance and graduation aren’t priorities ?

I see the Transfer Portal as a major challenge that will work against ND, northwestern, Duke and other schools with higher academic standards.

ND adheres to the student-athlete concept.
How do you compete against teams with lower standards ?
I said this earlier, and my point is this:

"Remember Prop 48? It allowed a kid named Tony Rice to come to ND who would have never gotten in otherwise. Why can't ND take 3 - 5 kids each cycle who don't have the grades for ND but do for the NCAA standards? The players already get tutors? Give some of these guys a chance. Would it kill ND to do that? Would it diminish our standing in the academic world? No."

Who says if we do this that these kids won't go the same route that Rice did and graduate? My issue is that ND is refusing to change and adapt to CFB today. The portal DOES NOT have to be a challenge! Let's use it and give some of these kids a chance. If we don't want to change, than we need to stop saying our objective is a national championship and relegate ourselves to the ranks of the mediocre.

Miller moss. SC guy he will transfer

CFB has changed dramatically since Tony Rices' days

Reactions: Classic Irish

ND does accept undergraduate transfers, but they have to come from specific schools and/or have taken the right kinds of courses there. Just think of Alohi Gilman.

And ND isn't the only school like that ... there aren't many Div-1 schools like this though ... a couple that come to mind are Duke and Stanford.

Its not arrogance, it's policy. Live with it.
Fair enough, but then you also have to live with YESTERDAY.

Besides its own imcompetence, it was the TRANSFER PORTAL as much as anything that beat ND yesterday. Marshall is a TRANSFER PORTAL POSTER CHILD, and they showed how quickly the BALANCE OF POWER can SHIFT.

AND NOT IN ND'S DIRECTION as we all so painfully observed.

Can you imagine if pro players in major sports could change teams, UNIMPEDED, every year? Well, that's what just gobsmacked ND.

And other teams that ND has been dealing with HANDILY will also now have the same ability to RUN IT OVER. Yesterday was merely the BEGINNING.

I said this earlier, and my point is this:

"Remember Prop 48? It allowed a kid named Tony Rice to come to ND who would have never gotten in otherwise. Why can't ND take 3 - 5 kids each cycle who don't have the grades for ND but do for the NCAA standards? The players already get tutors? Give some of these guys a chance. Would it kill ND to do that? Would it diminish our standing in the academic world? No."

Who says if we do this that these kids won't go the same route that Rice did and graduate? My issue is that ND is refusing to change and adapt to CFB today. The portal DOES NOT have to be a challenge! Let's use it and give some of these kids a chance. If we don't want to change, than we need to stop saying our objective is a national championship and relegate ourselves to the ranks of the mediocre.
You say “mediocrity” but the administration looks at the landscape and says, hey, we just qualified to play in two college football playoffs, so what’s the problem ?

I’m just concerned that if we give an inch, someone will take a mile and tarnish ND’s reputation

said “I really like the guys in this room”.

I, like many here knew and have said these QB’s weren’t good.

I also admit I thought Harry Hiestand would be a strong addition. I made a Freemanesque judgement on that one.

With you on HH. I took pause for a split second thinking man he seems kind of old. But I still thought he’d take the job seriously. I think maybe HHs best days are behind him.

Everyone with a brain was worried about Buchner. There was a reason he took last at Elite 11. There was a reason they went and got Coan. There was a reason TB never played in the bowl game. There was a reason they wanted Dante so bad. There’s a reason they are begging CJ to reclassify.

Also, JT Daniels wanted to come to ND. Freeman said no, we like the kids in our locker room. JT is likely a first or second round draft pick. Who knows, JT might’ve beaten Ohio State and that momentum would’ve carried into Marshall.

After the BG game, he should have taken someone. It’s not about Pyne or Buch and buck is a runner (apt to get hurt). You have a frosh and a junior who is being honest mediocre. You had one QB, Buch, unproven and injury prone. It was a bad call.

Reactions: IrishBeer
After the BG game, he should have taken someone. It’s not about Pyne or Buch and buck is a runner (apt to get hurt). You have a frosh and a junior who is being honest mediocre. You had one QB, Buch, unproven and injury prone. It was a bad call.

One of many and many more to come I’m afraid. Learning on the job doesn’t work at ND.

Too many people here want Notre Dame to sell its soul to the Devil. And for what? To win the "national championship" because that matters so much in the grand scheme of things.

ND is a university, not a football factory.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT