ADVERTISEMENT

When asked about QB’s in the transfer portal Marcus

Not at ND. The players coach thing bit him. It’s about ND, the fan base and the glory.

He needs to quickly become the teams coach. Maybe Lou and Tressel will be good mentors. He needs someone to sit with him and analyze some of this crap.

I don’t see BK as someone you can call. I would guess they could bring in some top help for cutting up film and helping.

You say “mediocrity” but the administration looks at the landscape and says, hey, we just qualified to play in two college football playoffs, so what’s the problem ?

I’m just concerned that if we give an inch, someone will take a mile and tarnish ND’s reputation
You’re not wrong and made some valid points. We did make it to the playoffs twice and played in the 2012 Natty but, we got smoked in all three:

2012 Natty: Alabama - 42 ND - 14
2018 Playoffs: Clemson - 30 ND - 3
2020 Playoffs: Alabama- 31 ND - 14

There is a big gap between ND and the elite 4 in Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Georgia. If you look at recruiting, to no surprise, ND doesn’t get anywhere near the talent these 4 get especially if you look at the top 100 players in the nation. My frustration is that ND won’t even play by the legal rules established by the NCAA.

Too many people here want Notre Dame to sell its soul to the Devil. And for what? To win the "national championship" because that matters so much in the grand scheme of things.

ND is a university, not a football factory.

No. People want what’s best for our student athletes. They deserve good coaching. Losing to Marshall is as low as it gets.

Reactions: adrian1477
Also, JT Daniels wanted to come to ND. Freeman said no, we like the kids in our locker room. JT is likely a first or second round draft pick. Who knows, JT might’ve beaten Ohio State and that momentum would’ve carried into Marshall.
I don’t buy that.

You’re not wrong and made some valid points. We did make it to the playoffs twice and played in the 2012 Natty but, we got smoked in all three:

2012 Natty: Alabama - 42 ND - 14
2018 Playoffs: Clemson - 30 ND - 3
2020 Playoffs: Alabama- 31 ND - 14

There is a big gap between ND and the elite 4 in Alabama, Clemson, Ohio State and Georgia. If you look at recruiting, to no surprise, ND doesn’t get anywhere near the talent these 4 get especially if you look at the top 100 players in the nation. My frustration is that ND won’t even play by the legal rules established by the NCAA.
We’re equally frustrated, but look at the teams you cited from an academic perspective..

Their admission standards and graduation rates don’t come close to ND’s

Those are good schools, but not in the same academic league with ND.

We are at an inherent disadvantage.

We’re equally frustrated, but look at the teams you cited from an academic perspective..

Their admission standards and graduation rates don’t come close to ND’s

Those are good schools, but not in the same academic league with ND.

We are at an inherent disadvantage.
Yes, but it doesn’t have to be that way. ND can be a National contender AND be one of the top academic schools. Let’s find 3-5 top-100 kids who are quality people but just don’t have the grades and give them a chance. How is that going to hurt ND?

Yes, but it doesn’t have to be that way. ND can be a National contender AND be one of the top academic schools. Let’s find 3-5 top-100 kids who are quality people but just don’t have the grades and give them a chance. How is that going to hurt ND?
Just look at the criticism ND received and continues to receive from admitting Tony Rice

It’s because they don’t have the academic credits to transfer. Then again, you want ND to compromise its academic standards to please you. Again, you just don’t understand ND. Go follow Alabama or Ohio State. You’ll be much happier following them.
Would Tony Rice or Chris Zorich be admitted today?

Just look at the criticism ND received and continues to receive from admitting Tony Rice
I honestly never heard any criticism at the time but then again, I was in 6th grade. I would imagine those critics stfu real quick when he led the Irish to a Natty! Hell, he’s an Irish hero now. I do remember reading an article where fans would call him stupid and tell him he didn’t belong. You know, good Catholic behavior…

Would Tony Rice or Chris Zorich be admitted today?
Zorich graduated from ND’s law school! Which proves my point that not all kids with poor grades are stupid and with the right mentorship, can actually excel at ND. Btw, Zorich was always my favorite. I wrote him a letter after his Mom passed away. He sent me a card back saying thank-you. I still have it somewhere but I remember thinking how much of a class act he was. I also loved the fact that Holtz had to kick him outta practice a few times for fighting. That man was a beast!

Fair enough, but then you also have to live with YESTERDAY.

Besides its own imcompetence, it was the TRANSFER PORTAL as much as anything that beat ND yesterday. Marshall is a TRANSFER PORTAL POSTER CHILD, and they showed how quickly the BALANCE OF POWER can SHIFT.

AND NOT IN ND'S DIRECTION as we all so painfully observed.

Can you imagine if pro players in major sports could change teams, UNIMPEDED, every year? Well, that's what just gobsmacked ND.

And other teams that ND has been dealing with HANDILY will also now have the same ability to RUN IT OVER. Yesterday was merely the BEGINNING.
USC is a perfect example. And they’re an “academic” school

USC is a perfect example. And they’re an “academic” school
USC also understands what having a championship caliber team means to the University… Like ND, it’s part of their tradition. They embrace it better though.

Reactions: 4-4-3
So ND shouldn't adjust it's "policy" to the modern CFB landscape? This game has been passing us by since Holtz left and we pioneered a TV deal with NBC. We have done NOTHING since then except for for a couple flashes in the pan that all led to us getting crushed by superior teams. But hey! Let's keep doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results.
Correct, do what’s right

It’s really not about admissions as much as it is about the rigors and expectations of daily academia. You let them in, then what?? Let 5 kids take cooking? No- it is absolutely true that there is a ‘RKG’, because they’ll want/need to devote a very large amount of time to studies.

*And I should add, if you can’t succeed @ an Louisiana high school, admitting them will surely lead to failing/transfers. Not hard to figure out, ND does indeed require a different student/athlete similar to Stanford (I don’t buy USC kids are challenged/stressed academically

USC also understands what having a championship caliber team means to the University… Like ND, it’s part of their tradition. They embrace it better though.
False - they cheated their ass for decades. If that’s what you call embracing/priorities- you’re rooting for the wrong school

It’s really not about admissions as much as it is about the rigors and expectations of daily academia. You let them in, then what?? Let 5 kids take cooking? No- it is absolutely true that there is a ‘RKG’, because they’ll want/need to devote a very large amount of time to studies.

*And I should add, if you can’t succeed @ an Louisiana high school, admitting them will surely lead to failing/transfers. Not hard to figure out, ND does indeed require a different student/athlete similar to Stanford (I don’t buy USC kids are challenged/stressed academically
AGREE !

Didn’t we have some players get busted for cheating? Everett Golson?
It happens but the goal is to set kids up for success not failure. By admitting kids who have a low chance of success, you’re not doing them or ND a justice. Like the academies, although different it’s a worthy comparison, there is a different structure at ND which includes a vigorous academic life.

It happens but the goal is to set kids up for success not failure. By admitting kids who have a low chance of success, you’re not doing them or ND a justice. Like the academies, although different it’s a worthy comparison, there is a different structure at ND which includes a vigorous academic life.
How do you determine a “low chance of success”??? They’re 18 year old kids. Some people don’t come from academic environments where they get that one on one love. Seems a lil too holier than thou especially if they can play a role in getting the school millions from the playoffs or even a Natty. It’s this arrogant attitude that frustrates me about ND. Bottom line, you need the best players to compete. ND has made millions from being a blue-blood in CFB. Don’t bite the hand that feeds you, right? If we’re going to be an academic institution beyond reproach that will never allow intellectually inferior athletes in, is that what Jack is selling to NBC?

Not being critical of anyone specifcially here, but it's AMAZING to me how these conversations about ND's challenges in acquiring and holding onto the best players always DEVOLVE into a defense of the university's need to protect its educational mission and the welfare of its players going forward.

FINE.

But what other major programs that ACTUALLY TRY TO WIN NC's worry about this? As a matter of practice and probability -- ZERO. And that includes Stanford.

But this is why ND is where it is. It's approach to college football is SCHIZOPHRENIC. Let me say it after years of MOUNTING EVIDENCE. In today's landscape, you can't be IVY LEAGUE QUALITY ACADEMCIALLY AND SEC QUALITY IN FOOTBALL.

But through the use of ENDLESS PERMUTATIONS OF MAGICAL THINKING, too many ND fans still think that this is a FALLACY and that ND can be PREEMINENT in both.

So, then, what is this? Hubris, a sense of entitlement, outdated thinking, denial, stupidity? Or a combination of all of them. To me, it's simply MIND-BLOWING that otherwise intelligent people would keep selling themselves this FANTASY.

So based upon TR’s opinion, MF passed on some very good Portal QB talent, to enter into a QB room with highly questionable talent combined with a lack of experience. That is where the wheels fell of the Irish Express to the playoffs!

He does not upgrade the QB room.
Miller Moss would upgrade almost any QB room. Here is his High School scouting report:

A pure pocket passer with one of the quickest releases in the country. A very cerebral quarterback with a great feel for the position. Extremely poised and never looks nervous or hurried. Has an advanced feel for throwing with timing and anticipation. Shows good arm strength and can rip throws through tight windows. Can continue to improve athletically but has good pocket mobility, can move around, buy time and keeps his eyes down the field. Changes speed and throws with touch and is very accurate down the field. Plays with toughness and will stand in the pocket and take a shot to get the ball out. Projects as an impact upper tier Power 5 starter and future mid-round NFL draft pick.

The only issue is your tendency to rn the QB which is not a strong suit.

UND is an academic institution, and they ain't changing a policy like this. Live with it.
No they’re not. They’re delusional. This is a football school masquerading as a premier educational institution in denial.

your statement is subjective at best. What is and isn’t an academic institution?

They don’t even have top schools within the state of Indiana.

Stanford Michigan Purdue Texas are academic institutions.

the difference is these administrations are not delusional as to what it takes to be competitive at football. They dont impose arbitrary hurdles and requirements for their athletic scholarship recipients specifically football and basketball.

Negative. I want ND to be relevant in CFB again. Stuffy, old alumni like you always clutch your pearls when we talk about changes that can help ND recruit the best. Like I said before Clashmore Mike, ND’s rich tradition is centered around having a strong football program, not alumni like you.
It has nothing to do with that, which is a horrible take. The school requires athletes to be on track to graduate. Notre Dame only takes a set number of elective courses. 9-10 times guys coming from a state school are on a five year graduation plan with cupcake courses early. They can't transfer in. Period.

No they’re not. They’re delusional. This is a football school masquerading as a premier educational institution in denial.

your statement is subjective at best. What is and isn’t an academic institution?

They don’t even have top schools within the state of Indiana.

Stanford Michigan Purdue Texas are academic institutions.

the difference is these administrations are not delusional as to what it takes to be competitive at football. They dont impose arbitrary hurdles and requirements for their athletic scholarship recipients specifically football and basketball.
lotta truth there

You could argue that. But again it’s not likely going to change.
Unfortunately. As much as I hate to admit it, you're right. Talked with my Dad who's been an Irish fan since 1948, and he said the same thing. He also said ND has a track record of running off successful coaches (Ara, Holtz & Kelly) because the brass doesn't want ND to be a "football school". ND will not conform. The only thing I would see changing ND would be the drop in football cash. NBC contract, bowl/ playoff money and we're already seeing struggles to fill the stadium. I saw an ad that ND was offering $60 tickets for Marshall. WOW... The days of ND being the tough, Catholic university and being an elite is long gone. But hey, we have a great fencing team!? Maybe NBC will give us millions for that.

Last edited:
Unfortunately. As much as I hate to admit it, you're right. Talked with my Dad who's been an Irish fan since 1948, and he said the same thing. He also said ND has a track record of running off successful coaches (Ara, Holtz & Kelly) because the brass doesn't want ND to be a "football school". ND will not conform. The only thing I would see changing ND would be the drop in football cash. NBC contract, bowl/ playoff money and we're already seeing struggles to fill the stadium. I saw an ad that ND was offering $60 tickets for Marshall. WOW... The days of ND being the tough, Catholic university and being an elite is long gone. But hey, we have a great fencing team!? Maybe NBC will give us millions for that.
I wasn’t trying to give you a hard time. No matter what any of us would like, the ND administration isn’t going to lower standards. It’s not me being obstinate. It’s just that those are the facts.

Unfortunately. As much as I hate to admit it, you're right. Talked with my Dad who's been an Irish fan since 1948, and he said the same thing. He also said ND has a track record of running off successful coaches (Ara, Holtz & Kelly) because the brass doesn't want ND to be a "football school". ND will not conform. The only thing I would see changing ND would be the drop in football cash. NBC contract, bowl/ playoff money and we're already seeing struggles to fill the stadium. I saw an ad that ND was offering $60 tickets for Marshall. WOW...
Not true, Ara was NOT run off and neither was Kelly.

Mike Wadsworth had issues with Holtz

I wasn’t trying to give you a hard time. No matter what any of us would like, the ND administration isn’t going to lower standards. It’s not me being obstinate. It’s just that those are the facts.
👍

Agreed. It's a sad f**king day in Mudville. What sucks even more is watching USC become dominant overnight because of the transfer portal...

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT