ADVERTISEMENT

Too big a stage for Freeman & Co

They have shown enough positive things that they deserve more time.

But I think this really puts into perspective how difficult it is to go 44-6 and continue to win and win again. Brian Kelly wasn’t perfect, but people highly underappreciated what he did here.

Last edited:

But I think this really put into perspective how difficult it is to go 44-6 and continue to win and win again. Brian Kelly wasn’t perfect, but people highly underappreciated what he did here.
Aside from 2012 it took Kelly 2017 through 2021 to be appreciated

But I think this really put into perspective how difficult it is to go 44-6 and continue to win and win again. Brian Kelly wasn’t perfect, but people highly underappreciated what he did here.
I have said this ad nauseum.

44-6 with two CFB Playoff berths from 2018--2021 is damn impressive. 15-8 since BK left.

Just in car from game

Want to see the tape but Fisher was getting beat a lot. Clemson adjusted after 1st drive to Estime by crashing over Zeke. Hartman with 5 really poor throws, not sure why.

I’m still aggravated with TM and Parker. Thomas still hurt. Missed Evans. And Defense got gashed too much

Bad performance

Just in car from game

Want to see the tape but Fisher was getting beat a lot. Clemson adjusted after 1st drive to Estime by crashing over Zeke. Hartman with 5 really poor throws, not sure why.

I’m still aggravated with TM and Parker. Thomas still hurt. Missed Evans. And Defense got gashed too much

Bad performance
Tommy Rees and Brian Kelly are missed on offense. The Parker/Freeman tandem is simply inadequate..

and from 2017-2021 he benefitted from a very soft schedule with many of the teams on the schedule being down.
You have mentioned this multiple times and you’re incorrect.

2017: #2 strength of schedule (SOS)
2018: #23 SOS
2019: #35 SOS
2020: #8 SOS
2021: #43
2022: #33

Notre Dame has faced a pretty tough schedule this year but Brian Kelly had at least two seasons where he faced a tough schedule and the other ones were decently strong. It’s not 1987-1993 types of schedules but they were decently good.

Reactions: IrishExpert2288
You have mentioned this multiple times and you’re incorrect.

2017: #2 strength of schedule (SOS)
2018: #23 SOS
2019: #35 SOS
2020: #8 SOS
2021: #43
2022: #33

Notre Dame has faced a pretty tough schedule this year but Brian Kelly had at least two seasons where he faced a tough schedule and the other ones were decently strong. It’s not 1987-1993 types of schedules but they were decently good.
Those facts ruin the narrative.

Reactions: notredamerises23
I’m not sure Freeman is the guy though I would urge some caution. Brian Kelly had a great resume prior to coming to ND but still had 4 out of 5 mediocre seasons to start his tenure.

I happened to be looking at Barry Switzer’s resume at Oklahoma yesterday. I didn’t know he was so dominant at Oklahoma. I think it was around years 10-12 where he went 7-4-1, 8-4, 8-4 when he had a whole bunch of great seasons before and after. What happened those three years? Did he forget how to coach?

There are things I don’t like about Freeman but he’s still learning.

Kelly’s first two years. Atrocious preparation for Navy and then poor game management against Tulsa. More like a 10-3 type team but finish 8-5. 2011 had flukey losses to South Florida and Michigan. 8-5 when they were more like a 10-3 team. Did Kelly forget how to coach those 4 years besides 2012? No, it just the way it goes sometimes.

Freeman seems to be a hard recruiter and that’s not something that Kelly was from what I hear. I want someone who believes they can win a title at ND.

I’m not sure Freeman is the guy though I would urge some caution. Brian Kelly had a great resume prior to coming to ND but still had 4 out of 5 mediocre seasons to start his tenure.

I happened to be looking at Barry Switzer’s resume at Oklahoma yesterday. I didn’t know he was so dominant at Oklahoma. I think it was around years 10-12 where he went 7-4-1, 8-4, 8-4 when he had a whole bunch of great seasons before and after. What happened those three years? Did he forget how to coach?

There are things I don’t like about Freeman but he’s still learning.

Kelly’s first two years. Atrocious preparation for Navy and then poor game management against Tulsa. More like a 10-3 type team but finish 8-5. 2011 had flukey losses to South Florida and Michigan. 8-5 when they were more like a 10-3 team. Did Kelly forget how to coach those 4 years besides 2012? No, it just the way it goes sometimes.

Freeman seems to be a hard recruiter and that’s not something that Kelly was from what I hear. I want someone who believes they can win a title at ND.
We should also point out, though, that Brian Kelly inherited a program that was a mess. Freeman inherited a program that was on the rise and was absolutely stable.

Last edited:
We should also point out, though, that Brian Kelly inherited a program that was a mess. Freeman inherited a program that was on the rise, and was absolutely stable.
I don’t buy the mess thing for Kelly although I would concede that Weis was not good at developing players. Weis took over a much bigger mess than Kelly did. Weis had good recruiting and set the stage for Kelly’s 2012 season.

You are right about Freeman. That was a disappointing season last year. At least beat Marshall and Stanford. So 10-3 would improve upon a disappointing 9-4 season, yes, but at least he can sell improvement to recruits.

I don’t buy the mess thing for Kelly although I would concede that Weis was not good at developing players. Weis took over a much bigger mess than Kelly did. Weis had good recruiting and set the stage for Kelly’s 2012 season.

You are right about Freeman. That was a disappointing season last year. At least beat Marshall and Stanford. So 10-3 would improve upon a disappointing 9-4 season, yes, but at least he can sell improvement to recruits.
The recruiting was OK, but nobody on the team knew how to win and was used to losing. I was a student sitting in the stands when Air Force came to Notre Dame and ran us over with one star recruits.

The recruiting was OK, but nobody on the team knew how to win and was used to losing. I was a student sitting in the stands when Air Force came to Notre Dame and ran us over with one star recruits.
2007? Option teams are a different animal but I get you.

I don’t mean to be pedantic, but players learn how to win through alignment, assignment, and technique. You can have all the heart in the world and it won’t help if you’re not good at football or don’t understand what you’re doing. I don’t mean to be pedantic.

That’s what concerns me about Freeman and has since 2021. Too much “grab-bagging” from a scheme standpoint. Too much blitzing. Tackling is suffering, poor gap-integrity from DL. Probably a result from being too multiple with regard to scheme. I thought he learned after last year but I’m not sure he did.

But I think this really puts into perspective how difficult it is to go 44-6 and continue to win and win again. Brian Kelly wasn’t perfect, but people highly underappreciated what he did here.

I agree. I remain surprised how so many posters are knee jerk with unrealistic expectations…not appreciating recruiting challenges that make being elite extremely difficult.

There is nothing egregiously wrong with CBK or Freeman. They play with different cards than Saban. I bet Tommy Rees would have something to say about that!

😀

Reactions: 4-4-3
We should also point out, though, that Brian Kelly inherited a program that was a mess. Freeman inherited a program that was on the rise and was absolutely stable.
Absolutely stable? Something like four wide receivers on scholarship, average quarterbacks and replacing position coaches while still trying to keep together the recruiting class that Kelly abandoned. Kelly may have improved the program but to say he left it absolutely stable is not true.

Reactions: Granite45
Absolutely stable? Something like four wide receivers on scholarship, average quarterbacks and replacing position coaches while still trying to keep together the recruiting class that Kelly abandoned. Kelly may have improved the program but to say he left it absolutely stable is not true.
They had Buchner but he got hurt. I understand he’s not great but he was an athlete and then Pyne as a backup. It was bad luck that Buchner got hurt so early.

Should have beat Marshall and Stanford. Even if they lose to Clemson, they should have been 10-3 in year 1. Yes WR is not great, and ND is young in year 2 at WR, but it should have been back to back 10-3 seasons with continued recruitment momentum. And they should have beat Okie State.

All this talk about should have beat this team or that team. That’s the entire point. They didn’t. Teams like Ohio State, Michigan, Bama and Georgia win games a lot when they are not playing their best. ND loses those games. That’s entire problem. Notre Dame does not know how to win. Even Brian Kelly lost those games more than they won those games when he was the coach. On talent alone ND should win 10 games a year. You would think they might win a big game or a game of significance. But they continue to lose.

Reactions: 4-4-3
Aside from 2012 it took Kelly 2017 through 2021 to be appreciated
Respectfully, I disagree here DIP.

I felt better when and was winning 8-9 games a some bowls for the first time in two decades. We certainly had some heartbreaking losses those first few seasons but ND was t getting blown out by teams any longer, a trend that happened far to often after Holtz.

All this talk about should have beat this team or that team. That’s the entire point. They didn’t. Teams like Ohio State, Michigan, Bama and Georgia win games a lot when they are not playing their best. ND loses those games. That’s entire problem. Notre Dame does not know how to win. Even Brian Kelly lost those games more than they won those games when he was the coach. On talent alone ND should win 10 games a year. You would think they might win a big game or a game of significance. But they continue to lose.
Check Michigan’s record under Harbaugh prior to 2021. It took him a long time to get it going for some reason and now they’re under investigation. I’m just saying.

I wasn’t a believer in Freeman even as the coordinator in 2021. I also think Kelly was the reason ND choked so bad in big games and the issue is slightly overstated. 2018 Clemson beat Bama worse than they did ND. 2020 Bama beat Ohio State worse than ND. 2012 Bama Kelly was flirting with the NFL and that was not the same ND team from the regular season.

Yes ND probably needs to get on it with regard to NIL and transfers if they want to win it all.

Reactions: BGI User 756
Check Michigan’s record under Harbaugh prior to 2021. It took him a long time to get it going for some reason and now they’re under investigation. I’m just saying.

I wasn’t a believer in Freeman even as the coordinator in 2021. I also think Kelly was the reason ND choked so bad in big games and the issue is slightly overstated. 2018 Clemson beat Bama worse than they did ND. 2020 Bama beat Ohio State worse than ND. 2012 Bama Kelly was flirting with the NFL and that was not the same ND team from the regular season.

Yes ND probably needs to get on it with regard to NIL and transfers if they want to win it all.
Harbaugh was winning 10 games often, he just couldn’t beat OSU and had a terrible Covid season.

As far as I’m concerned a win is a win , a loss is a loss. Today’s game was very winnable. There’s a lot of reasons to expect to play well and get a significant win over a very good team. Yes , Clemson is very good. But they lost. If they lose by a point or 60 points, you still lost. They should have beaten Ohio State and could have won today. They didn’t. The beat goes on.

Freeman needs to go. What a disappointing season. This team will lose at Stanford. Freeman and company are 3/4 loss coaches. Pathetic game plan
Two top-10 wins in two seasons. When was the last time we had that in the past?

Clemson isn't a D-III team.

Should have fired him after the fsu game like I said… showed how dumb he was then

Instead we promote him to HC and have him set program back

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT