ADVERTISEMENT

The Future Looks Bright

Dec 7, 2007
Funny that just a month ago there was a lot of doom and gloom here about the direction of the program. Guys were clamoring for Parker to be replaced. Then the debacle with the WR position came about, with Chansi Stuckey getting fired and Tyree, Merriweather, Flores and James all deciding to leave the program.

Where are we now? Notre Dame did a really good job in the portal, with Freeman convincing Riley Leonard to come aboard, and we managed to pick up some good replacements for the WR departures, along with a couple of other nice pieces. Parker gets hired (good for him, BTW) as Troy's new HC and Freeman convinces Mike Denbrock to come over from LSU as Parker's replacement. If Golden stays--and it looks like he will, barring him deciding to go to the NFL again--we could have the strongest head coordinator combination in CFB.

Then we go down to El Paso and put on a strong performance in the Sun Bowl. I know, it was only the Sun Bowl, but despite the turbulence surrounding the program over the last month, Freeman and his staff seemed to be locked in for the game and did a really nice job of preparing the team and executing the game plan. A bunch of new kids we haven't seem much of this season put on some strong performances. WIth the victory, we got a 10 win season.

And the lifeblood of the program--recruiting--continues to go well. It appears we may finally have brought in what has eluded us for a long time--an elite QB--with CJ Carr and Deuce Knight.

Marcus Freeman seems really comfortable in his own skin right now, and I am excited where the program is headed. I expect us to make the CFB playoffs next year, and do well. Winning a NC next year might be a tall order, but I haven't felt this good about the direction of the FB program in many years. I think we are on the cusp of some great things.

I only hope I am not drinking too much of my own Koolaid.

Last edited:
I'm looking forward to kendren young! I also believe our qb room got extremely competitive! Something we desperately need in South bend! Just little bit of more patience. Future looks promising, I feel it after all these years. Something lil different with this coach named MF

Reactions: erborgeson
I love the bowl wins.....8 glorious month of not saying "shoulda".

let’s see what the team that wins the title has ranked in recruiting the past 5 years.
Our class is better than LSUs. Wasnt that your point? It was a terrible one

We'll see. We've recruited better than both Michigan and Washington

Alabama with Saban will always outrecruit us. Thats not changing until he leaves

Funny that just a month ago there was a lot of doom and gloom here about the direction of the program. Guys were clamoring for Parker to be replaced. Then the debacle with the WR position came about, with Chansi Stuckey getting fired and Tyree, Merriweather, Flores and James all deciding to leave the program.

Where are we now? Notre Dame did a really good job in the portal, with Freeman convincing Riley Leonard to come aboard, and we managed to pick up some good replacements for the WR departures, along with a couple of other nice pieces. Parker gets hired (good for him, BTW) as Troy's new HC and Freeman convinces Mike Denbrock to come over from LSU as Parker's replacement. If Golden stays--and it looks like he will, barring him deciding to go to the NFL again--we could have the strongest head coordinator combination in CFB.

Then we go down to El Paso and put on a strong performance in the Sun Bowl. I know, it was only the Sun Bowl, but despite the turbulence surrounding the program over the last month, Freeman and his staff seemed to be locked in for the game and did a really nice job of preparing the team and executing the game plan. A bunch of new kids we haven't seem much of this season put on some strong performances. WIth the victory, we got a 10 win season.

And the lifeblood of the program--recruiting--continues to go well. It appears we may finally have brought in what has eluded us for a long time--an elite QB--with CJ Carr and Deuce Knight.

Marcus Freeman seems really comfortable in his own skin right now, and I am excited where the program is headed. I expect us to make the CFB playoffs next year, and do well. Winning a NC next year might be a tall order, but I haven't felt this good about the direction of the FB program in many years. I think we are on the cusp of some great things.

We have all the indicators of a program that’s going to be a real contender. For next season, there aren’t really any holes anywhere, and it seems highly unlikely that ND wins fewer than 10 games—only a few programs can say this, i.e., regardless of circumstances outside of really, really unexpected that the team will win 10 games. The FLOOR for elite programs is really high—we are right there. One of the signs of a dominant program is that in games vs. lesser opponents, the team shows superiority right from the kickoff in a way that there’s zero hope for the opposition other than with extreme luck. The Sun Bowl was such a game. Yes, the Beavers were in disarray, but we had a young QB as well, a new O-line, etc., and didn’t miss a beat. Only the truly elite programs can plug in new pieces and not seem affected.

Last edited:
Reactions: NDSMC78
We have all the indicators of a program that’s going to be a real contender. For next season, there aren’t really any holes anywhere, and it seems highly unlikely that ND wins fewer than 10 games—only a few programs can say this that regardless of circumstances outside of really, really unexpected that the team will win 10 games.
Just win at TAM.

I didn't see a lot of doom and gloom as much as a cautious optimism, but the Parker departure surely lit a fire

Quite a ride since laying the egg at Clemson. The 2 wins over bad teams really didn’t move the needle much. The Stuckey and WR room exodus had the sky falling.

Then the portal additions, keeping the recruiting class in place, adding Brown & Denbrock, then dog walking Oregon State has everyone’s heads in the clouds again.

All I know is this, a good 60 minutes at A&M, will have 90% of fans looking for the CFP. however a bad 60 minutes at A&M will have 90% of fans questioning the direction of the entire football program.

Reactions: bizzybecknd
Quite a ride since laying the egg at Clemson. The 2 wins over bad teams really didn’t move the needle much. The Stuckey and WR room exodus had the sky falling.

Then the portal additions, keeping the recruiting class in place, adding Brown & Denbrock, then dog walking Oregon State has everyone’s heads in the clouds again.

All I know is this, a good 60 minutes at A&M, will have 90% of fans looking for the CFP. however a bad 60 minutes at A&M will have 90% of fans questioning the direction of the entire football program.
Next season is 100% pivotal. With the expanded playoffs, and the talent and coaching on this team, anything less than a playoff spot in 2024 will be a failure and put Freeman on the hot seat.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Next season is 100% pivotal. With the expanded playoffs, and the talent and coaching on this team, anything less than a playoff spot in 2024 will be a failure and put Freeman on the hot seat.
Not to mention a very friendly schedule. FSU at home, and 2 teams USC & Texas A&M trying to figure things out after disappointing seasons. Everyone else ND has out manned.

Reactions: NDinNJ
I was concerned about Riley being the guy, and staying healthy. Adding Denbrock, then seeing Angeli’s outstanding performance really makes me feel like this is an 11-win team.

If Riley gets hurt or stumbles, then this group still has the makings of a playoff team.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Not to mention a very friendly schedule. FSU at home, and 2 teams USC & Texas A&M trying to figure things out after disappointing seasons. Everyone else ND has out manned.
Notre Dame had Louisville "outmanned..." last season.

Outmanned at times does not mean shit.

Reactions: IrishMike409
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT