ADVERTISEMENT

Three game losing streak.

bostonirish84

Irish Insider
Mar 31, 2010
Not sure if this has been posted already but ND is on a 3-game losing streak right now going back to the Stanford gamer last season. Going back those same three games the ND defense I'm guessing has given up almost 1,700 yards of total offense. 1,700 yards of offense in a 3-game stretch!!!! That is eye opening stuff and yet Kelly doesn't want to call out that side of the ball? Look I like Kelly and want him to stick around for a long time but he needs to get tough with the coaches and players on that side of the line of scrimmage. This is not pop warner football where he should be worrying about hurting feelings. You are a big time coach (although has won almost zero big time games) at a big time school man up and put people on notice.

On another note I will be the first to admit I wanted to see Zaire take the job and run with it but that is clearly not the case. Kizer is by the far the man for the job and will be a potential first round draft pick. If Kelly doesn't play him the entire game until possible mop up time then I say again he is struggling to hurt peoples feelings which there is no room for at this level of football.

Go Irish beat Nevada!!!

The fact that Kelly seems okay with the defense makes you question his competitiveness. Holtz fired the D-Coordinator during the season in '91 and there was immediate improvement. Kelly gives off a detached indifference that seems to be wearing thin with even his most loyal fans.

Most points in a three-game stretch, too. Broke the record set in 2014.

Reactions: NDAyers
The fact that Kelly seems okay with the defense makes you question his competitiveness. Holtz fired the D-Coordinator during the season in '91 and there was immediate improvement. Kelly gives off a detached indifference that seems to be wearing thin with even his most loyal fans.

What the heck is Kelly supposed to say or do in this situation. He can not throw is coach under the bus,

What the heck is Kelly supposed to say or do in this situation. He can not throw is coach under the bus,

true, throwing coaches under buses is usually counterproductive, but...

Kelly might consider this:
as some other posters have stated in other threads, when Holtz was around if defense or special teams were having troubles, he would spend his time with that group. ND is playing against one of its lesser opponents this week--let Sanford et al work with the offense and Kelly spend all of his time with bvg to see what is going on that side of things. See if bvg is actually communicating his defensive philosophy to the players in a way they can comprehend. See if there are things that can be simplified. See if the elements of defense that Kelly thinks are critical are being taught to the players. Just a thought, he is the head coach after all.

Reactions: Jtrader
geez:

the statements from you guys - you would think no one is responsible for team

Kelly cites accountability all the time! well now it's his time!

BVG is Kelly's guy. If Kelly fires him it is an addmission of failure and bad judgement by Kelly. Not going to happen. BVG is at ND for the long haul.

Games that mean a crap we have lost 3 in a row now. Stanford, OSU, and now Texas. Can we win a game that matters?

BVG is Kelly's guy. If Kelly fires him it is an addmission of failure and bad judgement by Kelly. Not going to happen. BVG is at ND for the long haul.

I had jobs where it did not work out and I was let go. I had employees that did not work out. How is that reflection on anyone other than BVG

Kelly lives in an alternate universe where everyone is stupid except him.
yup!

(he makes Weis seem humble)

Last edited:
btw: those last three teams were not the Nevada's on the schedule.
They were legit big time programs.

What would give you that impression?? Were you in films this week?

no, and to answer the next question he was not at practice either!

maybe the next thing to do to is take away all electronic transmission of the games, see no evil - hear no evil.

I'm getting to the point believe the only difference between CW and BK is that BK believes he needs to recruit some athletes for defense.
After that he doesn't seem to care thinking he'll just out score with the pretty offense.

Don't get me wrong nobody tightens up defense like 20 years ago but getting some key stops here and there are critical. We get no stops ever . Why should we...we tackle like a ****ing flag football team.

Is this pathetic display of defense some new ground here? This has been going on since BVG arrival. We've tackled poorly since BD left.
And truth be told we haven't imo have had that teeth gnashing defense since Barry Alvarez was in charge of it.

Even Bob Davie was only fair...he got his claim because r.c. Slocum was a prick about detail. I mean that in a good way though.

The worst clear cut example of how pathetic BVG has been is our players tackle like shit. He can't make then fast, or big, etc...but they are D1 athletes. He can teach and insist on text book form tackling.

The Mickey Mouse formations you can wipe your ass with them because even when we are in position one on one with the ball carrier we can't finish the tackle. It constantly takes multiple guys to finally get a guy down. We make every runner look like the next Jim Brown.
Pathetic, lazy, confused, all adjectives that fit our defense.

The alarm was sounded: incredible that there are posters that contended the sound off, (often in profane vulgar manner, as is their custom) the warnings were that the defensive recruiting had been at 3* level for quite some time and it was only a matter of time until the talent level was apparent. This recruiting cycle is not any different as of right now. The fiasco Sun night did not impress recruits, for sure!. BVG might be a bad coach, but he also has not upped the level of talent for his developing his defensive design.

Why not? He threw is punter under the bus one season. Then he threw the kicker under the bus. He also threw any player he did not recruit under the bus. Why not a coach who clearly is way in over his head.

but the problem is he would have to lie down next to BVG when the bus was to back over him!

The alarm was sounded: incredible that there are posters that contended the sound off, (often in profane vulgar manner, as is their custom) the warnings were that the defensive recruiting had been at 3* level for quite some time and it was only a matter of time until the talent level was apparent. This recruiting cycle is not any different as of right now. The fiasco Sun night did not impress recruits, for sure!. BVG might be a bad coach, but he also has not upped the level of talent for his developing his defensive design.
While I don't disagree with material, everyone can always have better players....what I disagree with is simple form tackling or lack there of.

Example...you don't need to be a five star player to at the very least attempt a quality tackle. Getting low, wrapping behind the knees, lift, finish on top.
A d3 kid if it's drilled into him and muscle memory ..all that shit ...will try and tackle that way. It might get broken because he isn't strong enough but he's still trying.

Last year there was one true text book tackler on the squad. Sheldon Day.
The rest all tried to hit, then looked in disbelief that the ball carrier didn't fall. Jaylon was one of the worst with technique. Amazing athlete but he tackled poorly as well.

So until I see our so called mediocre players trying to tackle right, we can't blame the material of lack of it.
Good 40 times have nothing to do with trying a text book tackle.

I'm sick of BVG and his coaching. He's terrible and stealing his paycheck. Nothing more.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT