ADVERTISEMENT

This image is really bothersome and it should bother you too

Respectfully disagree. Don't fall into the trap brother. No reason why ND can't win one before 2025. If that takes a little leeway, I'm sure youll be fine with it when they're holding up that trophy.
no trap. if they win one great. if not i'll still be on board.

Reactions: NDIRISH53
Respectfully disagree. Don't fall into the trap brother. No reason why ND can't win one before 2025. If that takes a little leeway, I'm sure youll be fine with it when they're holding up that trophy.
You should root for one of the SEC schools.

Anyone know how many stars the NFL's the number one pick had coming out HS. Must have been a 5 star with many big time offers. :p:p

Chase, so it's been 20 years through your research since ND has been great. I think that establishes a standard. Have you not accepted the standard yet? Anything they do that is above standard should exceed your expectations. Maybe you need to lower your expectations. Then you don't need to point out or worry if ND is achieving standard level and that should meet your expectations. Then you don't need to post the obvious statements like, ND needs to recruit better, play better, have a better coach, be better prepared, etc.

LOL... My team the Pats picked a RB in the first round. Quite surprising.
And I wanted my team, the eagles (super bowl champs to take him) you must have been extra mad when you found out Sony Michel just happened to be a 5* recruit btw lol
Q Nelson
J Rosen
M Fitzpatrick
Calvin Ridley
Rashaan Evans
Derwin James
Daron Payne
Sony Michel

8 players in the first round were 5* coming out of high school. Take that as you will

How many national championship games did we play in, in the 90s? Oh, that's right, none.

We've already played in one in the 2010s.

Anyone know how many stars the NFL's the number one pick had coming out HS. Must have been a 5 star with many big time offers. :p:p
17 of the 32 first round picks last night were 3 star or less coming out of high school and had nd landed all of them many here would have been moaning about it.

And I wanted my team, the eagles (super bowl champs to take him) you must have been extra mad when you found out Sony Michel just happened to be a 5* recruit btw lol
Q Nelson
J Rosen
M Fitzpatrick
Calvin Ridley
Rashaan Evans
Derwin James
Daron Payne
Sony Michel

8 players in the first round were 5* coming out of high school. Take that as you will
17 were 3 star or less.

NFL draft picks by decade (first rounders in parenthesis):

In the 1990s ND lead the entire nation with 68 NFL draft picks. Since then in both 00s & 10s they are not even in the top 10.

Capture_zpsyiznslr9.png
The way I look at it, the 1st round are the 5-star guys coming out of college (top 32 players). And ND has had 9 in the 2010's, tied for 5th with Florida State. Who really cares about all those 3 and 4 star guys aka guys outside the 1st round right Chase?

Q Nelson
J Rosen
M Fitzpatrick
Calvin Ridley
Rashaan Evans
Derwin James
Daron Payne
Sony Michel

So fewer than were 3*'s

So are you trying to prove my point that it's actually individual talent evaluation/identification that's important, and not Recruiting Rankings for me?

Or are you just great at disproving your own point and supporting me?

Recruiting Rankings are useful for statistical analysis when we're not talking about a known, individual recruit....because they're generally correlated with success.

But they're fairly worthless when talking about known recruits...bc they're so inaccurate that 2x as many 3*'s become 1st Round picks as 5*'s (in 2018)

You have completely crushed the arguments that you and @chaseball were so moronically making

So thanks for that!

So fewer than were 3*'s

So are you trying to prove my point that it's actually individual talent evaluation/identification that's important, and not Recruiting Rankings for me?

Recruiting Rankings are useful for statistical analysis when we're not talking about a known, individual recruit....because they're generally correlated with success.

But they're fairly worthless when talking about known recruits...bc they're so inaccurate that 2x as many 3*'s become 1st Round picks as 5*'s (in 2018)

You have completely crushed the arguments that you and @chaseball were so moronically making

So thanks for that!
Bottom line is that it is as an inexact science as you can find. let the astronomers have their fun.

So fewer than were 3*'s

So thanks for that!
I think the counter argument here is you have 25 five stars a year compared to 800+ 3 and 2 star guys. So the conversion rate of a 5-star becoming a 1st rounder is much higher than a 3-star becoming a 1st rounder.

I think the counter argument here is you have 25 five stars a year compared to 800+ 3 and 2 star guys. So the conversion rate of a 5-star becoming a 1st rounder is much higher than a 3-star becoming a 1st rounder.

That's the argument for an "Known/Random 5*" being more likely to make the 1st Round than an "Unknown/Random 3*".....which is completely correct

If all you want to talk about is unknown/random recruits, not actual specific prospects, than 5* > 3* is 100% true

But if you're talking about known, individual prospects...this draft should show you that Recruiting Ranking is a pretty terrible method of evaluating players.

If you simply evaluate accurately, you could have an entire starting 22 of ALL 1st ROUND PICKS without getting a single Top100 Player....sorry @chaseball

That means that if your evaluations were good enough, you could form an NFL Team from nothing but recruits that @chaseball complains about

Evalation >>> Recruiting Ranking
There is simply no way to debate that point anymore
(though I'm sure that morons like @chaseball and @NDIRISH53 will still try...lol)

17 were 3 star or less.
There are 300k seniors every year that play football in high school. About 30 5* kids, pretty extraordinary hit rate. Last season there was 10 5* in the first round alone. So over 1/4 of the first round is habitually 5*. 4 & 5* make up 9.4% of signees on average, but account for 55% of the first 2 rounds of the draft

Baker Mayfiend, Heisman Winner, #1 Pick in the 2018 NFL draft...

3*, 5.6 ranking on rivals

Great thing about trends is you can pick the starting point to support your position

It may not be troubling, and for fans that followed recruiting it is not surprising, however it does go to explaining the decline of ND as a top tier power.

It may not be troubling, and for fans that followed recruiting it is not surprising, however it does go to explaining the decline of ND as a top tier power.
An angel told me to not worry in a dream, he brought me to a mountain where I saw Notre Dame winning a title & Jim Harbaugh running around shirtless crying about the referees. The angel told me ND will be back on top of the mountain in the mid 2020's

It's a symptom, not a cause

Under Kelly, ND has returned to developing high numbers of quality NFL players...which is a cause of the program being healthier (generally) over the last 5-6 seasons.

If Kelly continues to improve and stablize the program, as he has been over the last several seasons, we'll see a continued increase in ND's production of NFL players

It's a symptom, not a cause

Under Kelly, ND has returned to developing high numbers of quality NFL players...which is a cause of the program being healthier (generally) over the last 5-6 seasons.

If Kelly continues to improve and stablize the program, as he has been over the last several seasons, we'll see a continued increase in ND's production of NFL players

Baloneous. ND is not a farm team, ND is about winning football championships.
How’s that going?

Baloneous. ND is not a farm team, ND is about winning football championships.
How’s that going?

???

When ND is well-run/coached, it recruits better and develops talent better ... which then leads inevitably to the production of more NFL talent?

That's been occurring for the last several season under coach Kelly than any time since Holtz, 30+ years ago

Those things aren't done to be a "farm system" by ND or any other school...they're done to win college football games

And ND is in better shape there than we have been in 30+ years, since Holtz

Baker Mayfiend, Heisman Winner, #1 Pick in the 2018 NFL draft...

3*, 5.6 ranking on rivals
Opinion on Baker... will he fail or succeed in Cleveland. I have been rooting for him ever since he planted the flag at O$U... that was a beautiful thing to see

“Lol yea dude. I'm real racist against white kids. I just hate myself and my children. Chump”

Who said u can’t say something racist against your own race? What you said was dumb and racist. The duke you describe doesn’t exist and hasn’t for the last 40 years. I’d say Coach k has put out just as many all black lineups than all white lineups in his tenure so what you said was simply wrong to begin w/. And if you think every black player is “1000%” better than every white player, you’re racist and wrong.

Echo, Lord knows we’ve had our differences and I’m sure we may in the future, but I just wanted to say that I’m truly sorry about your loss. Can’t imagine. And 53, glad you are a survivor.

NFL draft picks by decade (first rounders in parenthesis):

In the 1990s ND lead the entire nation with 68 NFL draft picks. Since then in both 00s & 10s they are not even in the top 10.

Capture_zpsyiznslr9.png
Not shocked when looking at the W/L record last 25 years. I would be more pissed if I saw a plethora of high draft picks with the level of play on the gridiron.

It's no secret that Duke used to recruit preppy, mostly white, minus grant hill, kids that play fundamental team ball with no flash for years. Hard hard hard overreact on your part. Now they have embraced one and done while somewhat keeping a core of 4 year guys.

Following is easy. Leading is hard.

ND is not going to sell it's soul to win football games. Ever.

You really don't seem to get the basic fact that ND doesn't want to be like everyone else. They nurture the student, the person, the human being - who just might happen to play football. Not the other way around like other schools.

Don't you see how hard it is to keep your ideals, when everyone around you is telling you to ditch them?? Being different is hard.

"Those who know Notre Dame - no explanation is necessary. Those who don't - no explanation will suffice".

Was ND less of a school in the 50's, 60's , 70's & 80's? Or did ND sellout to become more of a secular Ivy League? Just asking not starting an argument.

Opinion on Baker... will he fail or succeed in Cleveland. I have been rooting for him ever since he planted the flag at O$U... that was a beautiful thing to see

I do not expect any of the 5 QBs taken in the 1st round to have much success in the NFL. Some may become "serviceable" for some team, but I expect no real stars.

I do not expect any of the 5 QBs taken in the 1st round to have much success in the NFL. Some may become "serviceable" for some team, but I expect no real stars.
Rosen will be the best. Reminds me of Ben Simmons for the 76ers. Football savant & prodigy who didn't give a rats about college.

Honesty, why could it be done under Holtz?
At that time, ND was about the only team on TV every week. Now, with Lord knows how many channels, they're all on every week. So that is no longer a selling point.

If ND can put together two more 10-win seasons in the next two years, winning will recruit itself.

At that time, ND was about the only team on TV every week. Now, with Lord knows how many channels, they're all on every week. So that is no longer a selling point.

If ND can put together two more 10-win seasons in the next two years, winning will recruit itself.
I think that's a little overblown. I remember watching USC OSU Okie damn near every week back in those days. And yes I agree, winning attracts recruits like flies on honey. See the 2013 class. I think ND beefed up the recruiting department as well, hiring some more full time people.

Couldn't read all the replies, so forgive me if already said, but where was Bama the first four decades shown? I believe ND has done well since Kelly has arrived, which makes me mad we didn't do more with them.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT