ADVERTISEMENT

1st Round Draft List and Star Ranking Comparison

dwqwiz

Irish Expert
Jan 29, 2005
Interesting to compare the 1st round draft to what the players were ranked coming out of HS. Some may not agree or put too much stock in the rankings, but the numbers do hold pretty true. A LOT of 5 star guys at the top of the draft.
(Sorry, for bad alignment of text info. )

Draft List and Star Ranking Comparison (web link for easier reading...lol)
*Gotta scroll down a bit to see list.

2023 NFL Draft by recruiting ranking
5 stars: 13
4 stars: 8
3 stars: 8
2 stars: 0
1 star: 0
Unranked: 2

NFL TEAM PLAYER SCHOOL STARS RANK (YEAR)

Carolina Bryce Young Alabama 5 1 (2020)

Houston C.J. Stroud Ohio State 5 29 (2020)

Houston Will Anderson Jr. Alabama 5 2 (2020)

Indianapolis Anthony Richardson Florida 4 245 (2020)

Seattle Devon Witherspoon Illinois n/a n/a (2019)

Arizona Paris Johnson Ohio State 5 8 (2020)

Las Vegas Tyree Wilson* Texas Tech 3 471 (2018)

Atlanta Bijan Robinson Texas 5 21 (2020)

Philadelphia Jalen Carter Georgia 5 9 (2020)

Chicago Darnell Wright Tennessee 5 25 (2019)

Tennessee Peter Skoronski Northwestern 5 27 (2020)

Detroit Jahmyr Gibbs Alabama 4 44 (2020)

Green Bay Lukas Van Ness* Iowa 3 1,063 (2020)

Pittsburgh Broderick Jones Georgia 5 30 (2020)

N.Y. Jets Will McDonald IV* Iowa State 3 787 (2018)

Washington Emmanuel Forbes Mississippi State 4 132 (2020)

New England Christian Gonzalez Oregon 4 326 (2020)

Detroit Jack Campbell* Iowa 3 662 (2019)

Tampa Bay Calijah Kancey* Pittsburgh 3 837 (2019)

Seattle Jaxon Smith-Njigba Ohio State 5 15 (2020)

L.A. Chargers Quinten Johnston TCU 4 113 (2020)

Baltimore Zay Flowers* Boston College 3 1,188 (2019)

Minnesota Jordan Addison USC 4 131 (2020)

N.Y. Giants Deonte Banks* Maryland 3 854 (2019)

Buffalo Dalton Kincaid Utah n/a n/a (2018)

Dallas Mazi Smith Michigan 4 170 (2019)

Jacksonville Anton Harrison Oklahoma 4 178 (2020)

Cincinnati Myles Murphy Clemson 5 14 (2020)

New Orleans Bryan Bresee Clemson 5 3 (2020)

Philadelphia Nolan Smith Georgia 5 4 (2019)

Kansas City Felix Anudike-Uzomah* Kansas State 3 2,421 (2020)

*Denotes 247Sports composite ranking

Ryan Day is losing his shine. With all the talent he had drafted in 2022 and 2023, how is he losing to Mich?

Ryan Day is losing his shine. With all the talent he had drafted in 2022 and 2023, how is he losing to Mich?
Really? How did we lose to Marshall and Stanford at home as 20 pt favorites with far superior talent?? ga was damn fortunate to beat OSU last year, so there’s that too.

Really? How did we lose to Marshall and Stanford at home as 20 pt favorites with far superior talent?? ga was damn fortunate to beat OSU last year, so there’s that too.
Sorry, was Ryan Day coaching Marshall and Stanford those weekends?

Reactions: Pennick4
after 4 years of H.S. the Star rankings DO MATTER, for predicting the 4 years of college football. This has been shown ad nauseam. BUT 4 years later the star system is not as relevant predicting the pro football career.

are you seriously that stupid that you miss this obvious point? I apologize if you’re 10 or 11.
The point was about Day and the OSU draftees. Not sure how you could miss it. Maybe you were still caught up rationalizing how Bama should have made the playoffs. That “lucky” UGA win over the Bucks included out scoring them 18-3 in the fourth.

Ouch

Reactions: Pennick4
Thanks for posting. Am I reading that correctly, 8 of the first 11 were 5 star players? Damn. Doubt it's that many every year, but, it's clear ND needs to be landing AT LEAST two top 50 players every cycle to even compete.

Soooo Ohio State, Georgia and Alabama had three players drafted in the first round each. ND had three players drafted in the entire draft. That’s what I took away from this post.

So I guess you guys have full approval to keep on bitching about recruiting. That's all the fan-fueled *stars* controversy is about. Fans wanting to bitch about recruiting. And to feel justified in so doing. Coaches already try to recruit the best players they can get. That's always been true and always will be true. Until this invented debate came along that somehow they weren't doing that. Or something.

So keep bitching, and keep pining. You're justified.....

Soooo Ohio State, Georgia and Alabama had three players drafted in the first round each. ND had three players drafted in the entire draft. That’s what I took away from this post.
I see Jordan Addison is listed as an SC player. Wasn't he a one and done transfer? Was he even on campus 12 months?

Reactions: scubastevefl
The point was about Day and the OSU draftees. Not sure how you could miss it. Maybe you were still caught up rationalizing how Bama should have made the playoffs. That “lucky” UGA win over the Bucks included out scoring them 18-3 in the fourth.

Ouch
My point was , why do you care about day!? focus on our own boy—who had 4 potential 1st rd picks and not one materialized. Apparently shine hasn’t diminished for laurianitis or styles. extremely pathetic pivot onto a completely unrelated topic.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT