ADVERTISEMENT

The Transfer Portal.

Patrirish

I've posted how many times?
Gold Member
Nov 25, 2018
At lunch today I had an interesting discussion with some folks who flew in from ND.

Part of that discussion centered on NIL and the Transfer Portal.

It was relayed to me that there are some individuals who feel that unless the NCAA addresses and fixes the Transfer Portal guidelines/regulations that it will be the ruination of college football.

USC’s 19 TP’s was part of the discussion.

What interested me the most was the abandonment of the concept of the student/athlete, a concept that ND embraces.

One party asked, what kind of education will a kid who transfers from school to school to school get ?

Goid question given how few players make it to the NFL.
Another felt that these 18-22 year old kids who didn’t make the NFL would end up without a meaningful job and without a life, that universities would just use them like mercenaries and then abandon them when their time was up.

But I don’t see any pressure to correct this, coming from the media.

What will it take to restore the balance ?

At lunch today I had an interesting discussion with some folks who flew in from ND.

It was relayed to me that there are some individuals who feel that unless the NCAA addresses and fixes the Transfer Portal guidelines/regulations that it will be the ruination of college football.

What interested me the most was the abandonment of the concept of the student/athlete, a concept that ND embraces.

One party asked, what kind of education will a kid who transfers from school to school to school get ?

Another felt that these 18-22 year old kids who didn’t make the NFL would end up without a meaningful job and without a life, that universities would just use them like mercenaries and then abandon them when their time was up.

Fire the people in charge.. put you and the people you were talking with in charge... you as I and the peeps you were talking with care.. the others DON'T! the continuing downfall of America!!!

It's a sad situation for these kids. I understand the NIL money can get many of these kids and their families out of struggling financial situations, but that money will only go so far, and so few make it to the NFL, and many that do make it only last a few seasons. Having that education and degree are important to be able to fall back on.

It's a sad situation for these kids. I understand the NIL money can get many of these kids and their families out of struggling financial situations, but that money will only go so far, and so few make it to the NFL, and many that do make it only last a few seasons. Having that education and degree are important to be able to fall back on.
Why do you respond to yourself?

Reactions: Pennick4
What kind of education are players at Alabama, Georgia etc. getting when they don't have to go to classes because they are literally only there to play football. Guys that are motivated to learn and get an education will do so. The others, they haven't been for a while.

Reactions: Airzee23
What kind of education are players at Alabama, Georgia etc. getting when they don't have to go to classes because they are literally only there to play football. Guys that are motivated to learn and get an education will do so. The others, they haven't been for a while.
The coaches/school or whoever allows these players to not go to class and get an education are doing them no favors. Doing a great disservice.

College football has always been somewhat shady and not just in the South. I remember seeing a picture of Joe Montana standing along side his 1988 Trans am with a vanity plate ( number 3). Joe came from very modest means. All this ugly crap is now out in the open and legal.

College football has always been somewhat shady and not just in the South. I remember seeing a picture of Joe Montana standing along side his 1988 Trans am with a vanity plate ( number 3). Joe came from very modest means. All this ugly crap is now out in the open and legal.
Do you mean 78 trans am?

Even when players make it to the NFL they have a limited shelf life and many if not most are broke within 5 years of being out of the NFL, then what ?

Maybe the Ivy League has it right !

Reactions: NDinNJ
Even when players make it to the NFL they have a limited shelf life and many if not most are broke within 5 years of being out of the NFL, then what ?

Maybe the Ivy League has it right !
I could waste/lose $1 million in a hurry. A big hurry.

Last edited:
If we get Card, the competition that will develop between he, Buchner, and Minchey is going to create at least one tremendous QB.

Phil Jurkovec now in the Portal. Again. Dude should have never left South Bend.
He's a chud. He thinks he's better than everyone and nobody is good enough for him. I'll be curious to hear his bad mouthing of BC.

Good take but its 24 transfers. 30 if you count JUCO.

Guard rails. Portal should have a cap. 10 seems like a good number. A school should have to verify the transfer is to address needs. Not just because they don't like a certain kid. Schools should be on the hook scholarship wise for any "departures" who can't find a home if it is deemed the kid was ejected from the program. Compliance department. NIL - Easy one. If you graduate and transfer, you can get all the NIL you want. If you are an incoming freshman. No NIL until after the first season on campus. If you transfer without a degree, the same thing. If a school uses any NIL deals to lure a student, regardless of who is discussing it, it's a tampering violation.

I think they need to put two things into place.

1. Reinstitute the players sits one year rule if they transfer. This would need to be waived automatically if a head coach leaves a program.

2. They need to allow colleges to place a show clause on coaches that leave in bad faith. If a college demonstrates a coach leaves before the end of his contracted time for a new college gig at an equal level then
1. All students at the incoming school should be allowed to transfer without penalty.
2. The school getting the new coach should have to give up a scholarship per year for each year that the coach left on his previous school. So if coach a leaves with three years left, then the new school is short 3 schollies his first year, 2 the second, and 1 the third year.

The idea is to make poaching contracted coaches less desirable to other schools in non contract years, as well as making transferring less desirable thus preserving the original school.

Just my opinion.

I like the idea that there be no NIL connected to the Transfer Portal. Enforcement would be difficult but the loss of eligibility if caught may eliminate some more egregious cases.

I like the idea that there be no NIL connected to the Transfer Portal. Enforcement would be difficult but the loss of eligibility if caught may eliminate some more egregious cases.
Schools can't be involved in NIL other than to make introductions and restrictions other than on the NCAA members are unlawful per the Supreme Court.

The NCAA set us up for this first by diluting the 1 year sit rule on transfers with an exception for everyone. Then they abolished it altogether.

If I were him I would. He will be very productive at an FCS school. Heck maybe UCONN will pick him up.

Sounds like a conversation I had with my wife yesterday. We lose to USC who had 19 transfers playing. Our women’s basketball team loses yesterday to Maryland who started five players who played elsewhere last year. You would like to think the NCAA recognizes the damage being done with this Wild West they’ve enabled, and that they would be working overtime with conference reps to figure out a better construct. But holding out for the NCAA to do something constructive in this area is probably foolhardy. It Seems to me that this level of roster churning from one year to the next will eventually start alienating fans, and if there is even a slight systemic drop off of fans watching these games, in person and on TV, then possibly alarm bells will start to ring. Alternatively, if a couple of the strongest Conf commissioners decided that they are losing control to the whims of alumni NIL deals, perhaps these would band together and force change. The SEC and Big could do this today if so inclined. College football is a multi billion dollar industry, and I think whatever is best for the bottom line is what will drive where we end up. Notre Dames challenge, along with many other universities that continue to emphasize the STUDENT athlete, is to maintain Their current commitment to developing the student athlete while playing in the NIL arena and Portal arena in ways that don’t compromise its values; all while fielding teams competing for the NC. Jack has to be engaged on this.
Patrirish, I realize I didn’t really provide any clarity to the issues you raise here, just bloviated a bit of my own frustration and thoughts in this regard.

Sounds like a conversation I had with my wife yesterday. We lose to USC who had 19 transfers playing. Our women’s basketball team loses yesterday to Maryland who started five players who played elsewhere last year. You would like to think the NCAA recognizes the damage being done with this Wild West they’ve enabled, and that they would be working overtime with conference reps to figure out a better construct. But holding out for the NCAA to do something constructive in this area is probably foolhardy. It Seems to me that this level of roster churning from one year to the next will eventually start alienating fans, and if there is even a slight systemic drop off of fans watching these games, in person and on TV, then possibly alarm bells will start to ring. Alternatively, if a couple of the strongest Conf commissioners decided that they are losing control to the whims of alumni NIL deals, perhaps these would band together and force change. The SEC and Big could do this today if so inclined. College football is a multi billion dollar industry, and I think whatever is best for the bottom line is what will drive where we end up. Notre Dames challenge, along with many other universities that continue to emphasize the STUDENT athlete, is to maintain Their current commitment to developing the student athlete while playing in the NIL arena and Portal arena in ways that don’t compromise its values; all while fielding teams competing for the NC. Jack has to be engaged on this.
Patrirish, I realize I didn’t really provide any clarity to the issues you raise here, just bloviated a bit of my own frustration and thoughts in this regard.
Telx1,

Jack is engaged and deeply concerned.

The NCAA created a monster.

ND does not want to abandon their standards which creates a significant dilemma for them. It creates a distinct competitive disadvantage.

Organizations tend to react to media pressure and I don’t see that pressure being exerted on the NCAA

I think they need to put two things into place.

1. Reinstitute the players sits one year rule if they transfer. This would need to be waived automatically if a head coach leaves a program.

2. They need to allow colleges to place a show clause on coaches that leave in bad faith. If a college demonstrates a coach leaves before the end of his contracted time for a new college gig at an equal level then
1. All students at the incoming school should be allowed to transfer without penalty.
2. The school getting the new coach should have to give up a scholarship per year for each year that the coach left on his previous school. So if coach a leaves with three years left, then the new school is short 3 schollies his first year, 2 the second, and 1 the third year.

The idea is to make poaching contracted coaches less desirable to other schools in non contract years, as well as making transferring less desirable thus preserving the original school.

Just my opinion.
The system is flawed because everyone is chasing the money, including the schools, students and coaches. CFB is not amateur sports anymore.

1. is a good idea, except grad transfers should be exempt from sitting a year.

2. Is a good idea as well.

Another option is similar to the NFL but a salary cap on the coaches. Bonuses for winning national championship, conference championships, etc to reward the better coaches.

Considering Joe graduate in the late 70's, I'll assume he bought the Trans am, unless of course the 88 trans am came out in the 70's

This is too easy, how much do you want to bet pea dick ?
What is your problem? You like talking about other man’s dick? And I know they lectured you about making stupid bets. You’re a goddamn welcher and a freaking liar. Get some damn help.

Pat- take it easy tonight. It’s midnight, you’re on an anonymous internet message board talking this way. This can’t possibly be the man you want to be.
Mike,

Almost every time I start a thread or post on a thread that moron makes a snide or derogatory comment about me. I was content to let it go, but he started up again. I think he has a drinking problem, probably caused by the difficulty he has coping with a very tiny penis and brain. I tend to be a counter puncher, so each time he makes his off topic comments I respond.

At your request I’m content to let it go…… again.

So, I’ll cease and desist with my comments …… unless I’m provoked again.

That’s reasonable, isn’t it.

Have a good weekend !

How old are you?
I wake up every morning feeling like the 15 year old juvenile delinquents that I once was.

But when I go to shave every morning the mirror lies to me and there’s an old guy standing there !

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT