ADVERTISEMENT

The Transfer Portal.

I've already posted my reasoning above, but I just don't think it's the way you treat the guy who gave you all he had all season. It' not like Buchner is Bryce Young or anything.

Mike,

Thanks.

I‘m not worked up in the least, this is a great hobby and outlet for me, something to divert my attention from my current battle with cancer. Fortunately, my CT Scans last Wednesday were very favorable, so it looks like you’re stuck with me for a little longer. 😜

I’m looking forward to tomorrow and every day after tomorrow.

Enjoy the weekend !
Sorry to hear that you are battling cancer. Cancer sucks! Hope you beat it.

I just think you reward the scrub who played above his weight class most of the season.

Let's face it, Buchner was okay as a change of pace last season when he could run the ball while Coen's legs were in quick setting concrete. But when he played against Virginia Tech, he showed he was not ready for prime time and that he had mastered about three or four plays.

This year, he played a decent half against Ohio State and he was lousy against Marshall.

In my mind, he's about as much a starter as Angeli is.
So I guess you are ok with a starter losing his job to a backup. Pyne was extremely limited and it made the offense one dimensional.
If you are going to put the Marshall loss on TB than the Stanford loss is on Pyne. Both equally ugly losses.

Reactions: Ndapolis1
I read that as though the staff saying Buchner would play. Period. I think at a minimum you give Pyne the start after his effort this year.
I didn't see anywhere it saying Buchner would start. It says he would play no?

I didn't see anywhere it saying Buchner would start. It says he would play no?
You are correct. My reaction was based on my mistaken assumption that it meant Buchner was starting. I agree that he should play if healthy and even play much of the game. I was reacting to what I thought was the cavalier treatment of Pyne.

Thanks, this is my second battle.
The doctors predicted that I would get cancer 19 years ago from all of the radiation I received for my cancer in 2003, and sure enough, they were right.

it‘s a reminder to enjoy every day !
I lost my Dad last year because of cancer. Breaks my heart, miss him every day.

• Sad
Reactions: Notre Dame du Lac
Who cares if he’s a “fine student”. Who cares. There are millions of them in this country.

What does it matter? You keep anchoring to that.
Well let's see. It was in response to a poster who claimed that players didn't have the skills to be in college and where there only because of their skill. Did you not read the posts that were being discussed?

What’s the line on DJ U To the portal on Monday? 3-1?

Thanks, this is my second battle.
The doctors predicted that I would get cancer 19 years ago from all of the radiation I received for my cancer in 2003, and sure enough, they were right.

it‘s a reminder to enjoy every day !
Best of luck Patrirish.

Reactions: Notre Dame du Lac
So DP pussed out...

"I told him we would possibly look at taking a transfer at QB and I did not want him to leave, but he made the decision to enter the portal and I definitely respect his decision" HCMF

Sampson kind of alluding to Michael Pratt being out top QB transfer target. I do like him better than Card.

Pratt has a much better arm in my opinion, similar athleticism or maybe slightly less, and much more experience.

Leary would still be my number 1 if I knew he was 100% healthy by the spring.

What will it take to restore the balance ?
Time.

I'm reminded of the burst of the dot-com bubble back around 2000. For every Amazon and eBay, there were five failures like Pets.com and Boo.com. In 1999, Nasdaq went from about 1500 to nearly 5000 at the end of 2000, and down to just over 1000 in 2002. Also, venture capital went from about 2500 deals worth about $35b in 1Q 2000 to about 350 deals worth about $4b in 4Q 2002.

Many of those dot-com deals were between venture capitalists knew how to run a business but had no clue about what the internet was, and very bright kids who knew the internet very well but hadn't a clue how to run a business. Not surprisingly, many of these kids burned through millions in venture capital and their startups tanked.

Of course all this NIL stuff is a much smaller scale, but I expect something similar to happen. I think we're still in the "shiny new toy" stage where everyone is trying to get in on the action and is throwing money anywhere it will stick. Before long, when some of these million-dollar kids wash out, that venture capital is going to dry up.

I'm going to hold off on any doomsday predictions and see what develops over the next couple of years,

Reactions: NDinNJ
What kind of education are players at Alabama, Georgia etc. getting when they don't have to go to classes because they are literally only there to play football. Guys that are motivated to learn and get an education will do so. The others, they haven't been for a while.
While North Carolina got caught red-handed letting players avoid actually attending classes, even to the point of having professors that collaborated in administering phony curriculum, I don't know that either Alabama or Georgia have done this. If you want to say that players at these two institutions are "literally only there to play football," then you need to back it up with evidence. Otherwise you are at best not to be taken seriously and at worst libelous.

What kind of education are players at Alabama, Georgia etc. getting when they don't have to go to classes because they are literally only there to play football. Guys that are motivated to learn and get an education will do so. The others, they haven't been for a while.

NCAA has minimum GPA and credit requirements as well as classes being applicable to your major.

Everyone should watch Mack Brown‘s press talk about the TP snd NIL

Last edited:
Reactions: Bob Rodes
I was trying to think recently when was the last time i heard of a college athlete being academically ineligible? Does it ever happen anymore?
My feelings of the NIL program will not change. I believe the premise of the program is in the right place but to me it seems there are very few consistencies among schools. From what i see the NIL program will destroy any kind of parity in sports. Basically to me some schools you will say the "rich get richer".All the 5 star players will migrate basically to the highest bidder. At the end of the day , for me it will make the student part of student/athlete less important to a lot of players. You see what goes on in professional sports with free agency, it widens the difference in the parity of the teams. The best players tend to end up on certain teams because of the wealth of those teams. My feelings of NIL are such that every school has the same amount of NIL money and that money gets allocated to each player on the roster evenly, including walkons. If done that way, players are compensated and the idea of student athlete still is there. The NIL money becomes a lesser reason for picking one school over another plus certain players do not get more money then another. Players deserve compensated but in many sports its a team thing making all players participants. You win as a team and lose as a team. Each player's success or failure is dependent on the performance of others. 5 star running backs get the same amount as the 5 star lineman blocking for them. Right now, the NIL program makes a quality education less and less important. Only so many players make the professional ranks , education needs to be in the conversation of playing college sports. Education has to be of importance in today's highly competitive job world. Not all college athletes have pro careers or even long careers. If they do not, they need the education to fall back on.
Lastly, as for the portal. I think the portal is a goo thing but there needs to be limitations. My opinion is that no team should have 19 transfers. When a college basketball starting lineup consists of four or even five transfers and not all graduate transfers, it makes the education part probably less andless important. At the ebd if the day, i line tge idea of the portal for graduate transfers . I also believe undergraduates should be allowed in the portal only for certain situations as an example a coaching change. The transfer portal should not be a way for a team to build a super team nor a way to cull a team, force a mon productive player out.
Education needs to be brought back into the college choice conversation. I think its utterly rediculous to hive a 5 star high school player a scholarship and lnowing they will be one and done. I that one year, will studying even be a consideration? I think college athletes should have to be in a college program at least three years before going pro. They need to end the one and done. Increase the valu of an education.

ADVERTISEMENT