ADVERTISEMENT

The Transfer Portal.

Mike,

Almost every time I start a thread or post on a thread that moron makes a snide or derogatory comment about me. I was content to let it go, but he started up again. I think he has a drinking problem, probably caused by the difficulty he has coping with a very tiny penis and brain. I tend to be a counter puncher, so each time he makes his off topic comments I respond.

At your request I’m content to let it go…… again.

So, I’ll cease and desist with my comments …… unless I’m provoked again.

That’s reasonable, isn’t it.

Have a good weekend !
Pat-

That’s a fair and reasonable response. I get it. I’ve been there too.

I just don’t like seeing you get all worked up. There is going to be a ton to chat through these next 4 weeks: bowl game, qb for bowl game, qb in the portal, other transfers, etc. I’m looking forward to chatting about all it it with the great ND fans here. You’re one of them. Have a great weekend too.

Reactions: Kreinard and NDinNJ
At lunch today I had an interesting discussion with some folks who flew in from ND.

Part of that discussion centered on NIL and the Transfer Portal.

It was relayed to me that there are some individuals who feel that unless the NCAA addresses and fixes the Transfer Portal guidelines/regulations that it will be the ruination of college football.

USC’s 19 TP’s was part of the discussion.

What interested me the most was the abandonment of the concept of the student/athlete, a concept that ND embraces.

One party asked, what kind of education will a kid who transfers from school to school to school get ?

Goid question given how few players make it to the NFL.
Another felt that these 18-22 year old kids who didn’t make the NFL would end up without a meaningful job and without a life, that universities would just use them like mercenaries and then abandon them when their time was up.

But I don’t see any pressure to correct this, coming from the media.

What will it take to restore the balance ?
Lets be honest. What % of these kids would even be admitted to schools if they weren't athletes? I'm not saying they would end up in the streets but maybe doing non college jobs. Civil services or construction jobs?

Lets be honest. What % of these kids would even be admitted to schools if they weren't athletes? I'm not saying they would end up in the streets but maybe doing non college jobs. Civil services or construction jobs?
Actually, TP players are the only ones who have shown they can meet college eligibility standards. Thier academic skills vary, but Caleb Willams, for example, is a very fine student both in High School and College.

Actually, TP players are the only ones who have shown they can meet college eligibility standards. Thier academic skills vary, but Caleb Willams, for example, is a very fine student both in High School and College.
If you’re a D 1 stud football or basketball player. You will be given a different set of standards to get into that school compared to a regular kid. It’s all big money business

If you’re a D 1 stud football or basketball player. You will be given a different set of standards to get into that school compared to a regular kid. It’s all big money business
Yep. Athletes, musicians, legacy children of large donors and students meeting the diversity goals of a school get a break and then just have to meet the NCAA standards to continue.

At lunch today I had an interesting discussion with some folks who flew in from ND.

Part of that discussion centered on NIL and the Transfer Portal.

It was relayed to me that there are some individuals who feel that unless the NCAA addresses and fixes the Transfer Portal guidelines/regulations that it will be the ruination of college football.

USC’s 19 TP’s was part of the discussion.

What interested me the most was the abandonment of the concept of the student/athlete, a concept that ND embraces.

One party asked, what kind of education will a kid who transfers from school to school to school get ?

Goid question given how few players make it to the NFL.
Another felt that these 18-22 year old kids who didn’t make the NFL would end up without a meaningful job and without a life, that universities would just use them like mercenaries and then abandon them when their time was up.

But I don’t see any pressure to correct this, coming from the media.

What will it take to restore the balance ?
The media actually LIKES it as it gives them one more subject to JABBER about and sell bad food or whatever their sponsors push.

The movement of athletes AMONG TEAMS has become almost an OBSESSION with the media. And now that international soccer, aka FOOTBALL, is also being MAINSTREAMED, we see that player movement is about 50% of what goes on in the sport and that a HEFTY proportion of its fans follow it RELIGIOUSLY.

As for the NCAA doing something, I'm not sure what it CAN do. There have been various court decisions, and it might take ACTUAL LAWS to sort this all out.

All of that said, if NIL and the Portal screw up CFB as we know it, ND will be among its FIRST CASUALITES as it is in NO WAY to designed to OPERATE on this basis.

The media actually LIKES it as it gives them one more subject to JABBER about and sell bad food or whatever their sponsors push.

The movement of athletes AMONG TEAMS has become almost an OBSESSION with the media. And now that international soccer, aka FOOTBALL, is also being MAINSTREAMED, we see that player movement is about 50% of what goes on in the sport and that a HEFTY proportion of its fans follow it RELIGIOUSLY.

As for the NCAA doing something, I'm not sure what it CAN do. There have been various court decisions, and it might take ACTUAL LAWS to sort this all out.

All of that said, if NIL and the Portal screw up CFB as we know it, ND will be among its FIRST CASUALITES as it is in NO WAY to designed to OPERATE on this basis.
Anyone have Advil?

He plays for USC, and he's a punk.
Perhaps you aren't reading the posts. You said that he is a punk. I repleid, "maybe but he is a fine student. and you answered:

Naturally...you think that.

Is there a reason I shouldn't think he is a fine student?

I would like to see the portal rules relaxed so that if a player entered at a certain point in the season, he could complete the year with his team. So, for example, Jacob Lacey, who decided to enter in early October, wouldn't be allowed to finish the season, but someone like Drew Pyne, who waited til the regular season was over, would.

I realize Pyne wasn't great by any means, but I'd like him to have the opportunity to finish his career in a bowl game, and quite honestly, I think he would give ND its best chance of winning, given our alternatives are a fragile Buchner or a hopelessly green Angeli.

I would like to see the portal rules relaxed so that if a player entered at a certain point in the season, he could complete the year with his team. So, for example, Jacob Lacey, who decided to enter in early October, wouldn't be allowed to finish the season, but someone like Drew Pyne, who waited til the regular season was over, would.

I realize Pyne wasn't great by any means, but I'd like him to have the opportunity to finish his career in a bowl game, and quite honestly, I think he would give ND its best chance of winning, given our alternatives are a fragile Buchner or a hopelessly green Angeli.
HE could. The Portal doesn't close until January 18th.

Thanks. I thought once you entered, there was no return.
I think you’re correct. I think Beach is saying he could have waited until after the bowl game as he has up to Jan 18th to declare. He declared early because he hopes to know where he’s headed and start As a student in January to get the advantage of Spring practice.

I think you’re correct. I think Beach is saying he could have waited until after the bowl game as he has up to Jan 18th to declare. He declared early because he hopes to know where he’s headed and start As a student in January to get the advantage of Spring practice.
Yes, that is what I meant, but I think you can come out of the portal to your old team too. I will check. Also, you can't enter the portal until December fifth so all he has really done is say he will enter the portal. The only guys who can enter now are those whose coaches have quit.

Yes, that is what I meant, but I think you can come out of the portal to your old team too. I will check. Also, you can't enter the portal until December fifth so all he has really done is say he will enter the portal. The only guys who can enter now are those whose coaches have quit.
Yes, that is what I meant, but I think you can come out of the portal to your old team too. I will check. Also, you can't enter the portal until December fifth so all he has really done is say he will enter the portal. The only guys who can enter now are
Gotcha. I still would like to see it if you enter after the regular season, for instance, that you be allowed to play with your original team (even if you agree to go to a new school) in a bowl.

Pat-

That’s a fair and reasonable response. I get it. I’ve been there too.

I just don’t like seeing you get all worked up. There is going to be a ton to chat through these next 4 weeks: bowl game, qb for bowl game, qb in the portal, other transfers, etc. I’m looking forward to chatting about all it it with the great ND fans here. You’re one of them. Have a great weekend too.
Mike,

Thanks.

I‘m not worked up in the least, this is a great hobby and outlet for me, something to divert my attention from my current battle with cancer. Fortunately, my CT Scans last Wednesday were very favorable, so it looks like you’re stuck with me for a little longer. 😜

I’m looking forward to tomorrow and every day after tomorrow.

Enjoy the weekend !

Last edited:
Reactions: IrishMike409

A story on one of the premium boards is Pyne was told that Buchner would play in the bowl game if Buchner passed the hurdles he needed to from his injury. The staff wanted to see what they have with Buchner with how the OL and running game are playing now versus back in September.

Pyne took that as a sign of disrespect, felt that he deserved to continue to be the starter. With the staff looking to bring a QB in via the portal and giving Buchner a shot in the bowl game, Pyne went and discussed it with his family, and apparently didn't even notify the coaches that he was entering the transfer portal.

Not sure how much truth there is to this, but it's coming from a credible premium site.

👍

100 % correct !

But I think that the NCAA can alter the Transfer Portal and insert some stability back into the game.

You make a good point about the media enjoying the current state of affairs

Reactions: 4-4-3

👍

That’s okay they bit
Not certain if he is a punk. I did notice he did not shake one Utah's player's hand after the game. Went towel over the head, don't let people see me walking off the field. Not certain if Fu.. Utah was on his fingernails.
That’s okay they bitch slapped his ass!!!

A story on one of the premium boards is Pyne was told that Buchner would play in the bowl game if Buchner passed the hurdles he needed to from his injury. The staff wanted to see what they have with Buchner with how the OL and running game are playing now versus back in September.

Pyne took that as a sign of disrespect, felt that he deserved to continue to be the starter. With the staff looking to bring a QB in via the portal and giving Buchner a shot in the bowl game, Pyne went and discussed it with his family, and apparently didn't even notify the coaches that he was entering the transfer portal.

Not sure how much truth there is to this, but it's coming from a credible premium site.
If that's true, I've lost all respect for the ND coaching staff.

Telling Pyne that Buchner would "play" in the bowl game seems to be the prudent thing to do in this situation. If they told him they were bringing in a portal guy with a promise of starting, that would be an issue, but he should expect the team to do anything it can at this point to improve. Especially after seeing what usc did and the improvement they gained.

Pretty sure that premium site has also been very clear that the issue is the portal kid coming in not Tyler Buchner playing. Reports are Tyler and Drew are very supportive and friendly with each other.

I think Drew would probably of transferred anyways after the bowl game for a better chance to start, but that the fact that we are bringing in a transfer on top was viewed as disrespectful hence the quick out.

Lots of speculation.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Not sure that's 100% the case.

1. The staff should absolutely set the standard that you won't lose your spot due to injury.
2. The premium site is also making it clear the issue was the idea of getting the transfer was more of an issue than Buchner playing.

The coaches did nothing wrong. Pyne is the second string QB that started due to injury. If Buchner is healthy he should start. Likely Pyne would have played significant minutes.

Multiple podcasts have been discussing Pyne transferring this spring regardless of what happened this season after he graduates in December. That is NOT a surprise. The surprise is leaving before the bowl game.

Why? For being honest with him?
I read that as though the staff saying Buchner would play. Period. I think at a minimum you give Pyne the start after his effort this year.

Not sure that's 100% the case.

1. The staff should absolutely set the standard that you won't lose your spot due to injury.
2. The premium site is also making it clear the issue was the idea of getting the transfer was more of an issue than Buchner playing.

The coaches did nothing wrong. Pyne is the second string QB that started due to injury. If Buchner is healthy he should start. Likely Pyne would have played significant minutes.

Multiple podcasts have been discussing Pyne transferring this spring regardless of what happened this season after he graduates in December. That is NOT a surprise. The surprise is leaving before the bowl game.
I posit that backup or struggling qb entering the portal is the new normal. There is just too much at stake to be a 2023 backup at ND if one can start at ECU.

Why? what's wrong with having Buchner go if he can? as a staff don't you want to see what Buchner has? We know what Pyne gives you, let's see what Buchner can do.

Why? what's wrong with having Buchner go if he can? as a staff don't you want to see what Buchner has? We know what Pyne gives you, let's see what Buchner can do.
I just think you reward the scrub who played above his weight class most of the season.

Let's face it, Buchner was okay as a change of pace last season when he could run the ball while Coen's legs were in quick setting concrete. But when he played against Virginia Tech, he showed he was not ready for prime time and that he had mastered about three or four plays.

This year, he played a decent half against Ohio State and he was lousy against Marshall.

In my mind, he's about as much a starter as Angeli is.

You know Drew knows that next year he will probably will be riding the pine. There is no reason for him to stick around. The staff tolls him a transfer was coming in. Drew will get his degree from ND and start at another college a win win for everybody. Get over it.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Mike,

Thanks.

I‘m not worked up in the least, this is a great hobby and outlet for me, something to divert my attention from my current battle with cancer. Fortunately, my CT Scans last Wednesday were very favorable, so it looks like you’re stuck with me for a little longer. 😜

I’m looking forward to tomorrow and every day after tomorrow.

Enjoy the weekend !
I appreciate you sharing that Pat. As the time goes on and you continue to kick the hell out of cancer, we got your back. Don’t forget that.

Going to be a critical month for ND. Lots of moving parts. Excited to see how it shakes out and pumped to talk about right here, everyday.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT