ADVERTISEMENT

The targeting non-call on MSU

shooter1977

Fighting Irish Fanatic
Nov 13, 2002
Was about as blatant and potentially dangerous as they get. Between that and MSU trying to run a hook and ladder on the final play of the game, not a great showing for Sparty.

Refs miss targeting every game. Not like MSU had some problem with dirty play against you guys.

And why not try the hook and ladder? Might as well practice the play in case you need to do it at a later point.

MSU had the deer in the headlights look of a very young team not ready for a primetime game. I like how your coaches simplified the throws for your QB and ND looked like a fundamentally sound team.

Stanford/USC/Miami aren't as good as previously thought and UGA might be the toughest team you face. You guys can make some real noise.

Reactions: tbonesays
Refs miss targeting every game. Not like MSU had some problem with dirty play against you guys.

And why not try the hook and ladder? Might as well practice the play in case you need to do it at a later point.

MSU had the deer in the headlights look of a very young team not ready for a primetime game. I like how your coaches simplified the throws for your QB and ND looked like a fundamentally sound team.

Stanford/USC/Miami aren't as good as previously thought and UGA might be the toughest team you face. You guys can make some real noise.

"Refs miss targeting every game."

True -- but, in Division 1, they (replay officials) have the ability to stop and review -- new in 2017) -- seeing as this was a B1G replay crew, if I were Kelly, I would be asking why there was no review!

Reactions: Bumpdaddy and NDCap
No problem with the hook and ladder at all. This spearing call was painfully obvious in plain view of the official, plus, the booth has an automatic review of the play. Were they at the concession stand during that time? They should explain why it wasn't a blatant very definition of the rule. It doesn't matter if it was intentional or not. I have seen a lot less get called. Is this now a rule of interpretation?

Last edited:
I was more ticked about this than anything else on Saturday. This penalty was created for the safety of the players. What is more dangerous than somebody coming straight down vertically, leading with their helmet, into the back of the helmet of a player laying on the ground? Even if it wasn't intentional, which it may or may not have been, it's still targeting!

"Refs miss targeting every game."

True -- but, in Division 1, they (replay officials) have the ability to stop and review -- new in 2017) -- seeing as this was a B1G replay crew, if I were Kelly, I would be asking why there was no review!

I don't disagree. But, seems like just after this play, ND lined up quickly and ran a play BEFORE any chance the replay booth could buzz the refs for a review. I was wondering, if Kelly or any of his assistants had seen this, why they didn't inform Wimbush to slow down on the next play and see what the replay booth does.

Reactions: Kelso86
I don't disagree. But, seems like just after this play, ND lined up quickly and ran a play BEFORE any chance the replay booth could buzz the refs for a review. I was wondering, if Kelly or any of his assistants had seen this, why they didn't inform Wimbush to slow down on the next play and see what the replay booth does.

Wimbush seemed stunned for a moment after the hit. Maybe its just me, but I got the feeling Wimbush wanted to get the next play off before the trainers put him through the concussion protocol.

I was more ticked about this than anything else on Saturday. This penalty was created for the safety of the players. What is more dangerous than somebody coming straight down vertically, leading with their helmet, into the back of the helmet of a player laying on the ground? Even if it wasn't intentional, which it may or may not have been, it's still targeting!

Remember the USC game last year when our guy knocked out the USC running back? No call, but they reviewed it while they were tending to the injured player.

And I'd like to know how we get a call. Tori Hunter got laid out against Texas and a Virginia Tech player drove his helmet into Kizer's face late in that game. Then we get Saturday's night's swan dive. What gives?

Reactions: Yooper Irishfan
If it's any consolation, ND Sportsbeat show just went on a tirade about the non call. It was that obvious.

I noticed the targeting but don't think it was blatant unless on slow motion replay. All and all I thought it was pretty well officiated.
ND kicked butt and it was a great night for ND fans.

Reactions: echowaker
No problem with the hook and ladder at all. This spearing call was painfully obvious in plain view of the official, plus, the booth has an automatic review of the play. Were they at the concession stand during that time? They should explain why it wasn't a blatant very definition of the rule. It doesn't matter if it was intentional or not. I have seen a lot less get called. Is this now a rule of interpretation?
Replay guy was found tied up and gaged in a broom closet

Reactions: mjconnau
I noticed the targeting but don't think it was blatant unless on slow motion replay. All and all I thought it was pretty well officiated.
ND kicked butt and it was a great night for ND fans.
Game was officiated well but that guy led with the top of his helmet on a guy that was already on the ground That was bad Penn

I honestly didn't think the guy did it purposely. He looked to be trying to do a somersault overtop of Wimbush. His helmet definitely hit Wimbush's and he should've been thrown out nonetheless. With that being said, I do believe MSU played a dirty game.

Have to say this year so far I'm fairly happy with officiating.....the SEC ref's for the UGA game were excellent....I only disagree'd with the QB late hit....

Seems better this year....there were some god aweful calls last year with the targeting in TX and the PI against Va Tech...both cost us those games.....maybe it changes but through 4, pretty happy...

nm
I honestly didn't think the guy did it purposely. He looked to be trying to do a somersault overtop of Wimbush. His helmet definitely hit Wimbush's and he should've been thrown out nonetheless. With that being said, I do believe MSU played a dirty game.
It's a penalty, intentional or not. Why no automatic review?

Should have been seen on the review-----the announcers saw it certainly.

McGlinchey false start also a terrible non call.

Did the opening kick off return tackle on CJ Sanders look like a horse collar tackle to anybody?

BK Tuesday presser when asked about the missed targeting call (Cliff Note version).........Frustrating. Targeting rule is not in a VG place right now. They can't seem to get that call right. The MSU guy had no intention of making a tackle. We turned in the play to the ACC and Big Ten but we are not sure if there will be any ramifications. BK also is frustrated with the missed targeting call at Texas and then the one at MSU. So, there you have it.

Did the opening kick off return tackle on CJ Sanders look like a horse collar tackle to anybody?

Yes. I was rewatching the game last night and made it a point to watch that play carefully. It sure looked like a horse collar to me.

BK still upset with the targeting non call. On his radio show, he mentioned that ND has been called for that penalty seven times while the opponents have been called only once (Joey Bosa). He talked to the official who was near the play, then talked to the referee with no help. BK also asked about the replay booth but the field was never "buzzed" from the booth. ND received an apology from the ACC and Big Ten. BK is not so forgiving. He's definitely fed up. It was a terrific segment on his show last night.

Definitely was a horse collar. I was losing it when I saw there was no flag on it.

BK still upset with the targeting non call. On his radio show, he mentioned that ND has been called for that penalty seven times while the opponents have been called only once (Joey Bosa). He talked to the official who was near the play, then talked to the referee with no help. BK also asked about the replay booth but the field was never "buzzed" from the booth. ND received an apology from the ACC and Big Ten. BK is not so forgiving. He's definitely fed up. It was a terrific segment on his show last night.

He has every right to be. If the goal is to protect the players, it makes more sense to call the targeting and review it if there's even the slightest question about the call. The way the rule is written, the refs have the ability to revoke the call, and they should use it as much as it takes.

I think we all knew that when the targetting rule was announced. I didn't realize it was that bad though, really 7:1?

BK said that ND is not married to using ACC officials, but, it goes beyond what officials are used. He says that it is about player safety no matter what conference that player is from. Not enough $$$$ to fund an independent officiating group because there are not enough independent programs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT