ADVERTISEMENT

Marshall Next

Get Nasty

I've posted how many times?
Jul 26, 2006
I’m honestly worried about this game. It has potential to be like Toledo last year due to our interior oline. I doubt J Pat is back as he wasn’t good enough to play vs osu doubt they use him vs Marshall. I’d guess cal or UNC for his return. Wrs weren’t impressive and oline wasn't. Our D should dominate Marshall but the pressure on them if offense isn’t good will be high.

Think about this, line is 18. Experts say gap between osu and nd is similar gap between nd and Marshall. Alarming.

Rees better have a plan to light up the scoreboard without Buchner taking too many hits.

need to be able to run the ball protect Buchner and throw it at will.

ND needs to be up 30 points at some part of fourth.

Last edited:
Reactions: goherd24
I’m honestly worried about this game. It has potential to be like Toledo last year due to our interior oline. I doubt J Pat is back as he wasn’t good enough to play vs osu doubt they use him vs Marshall. I’d guess cal or UNC for his return. Wrs weren’t impressive and oline wasn't. Our D should dominate Marshall but the pressure on them if offense isn’t good will be high.

Think about this, line is 18. Experts say gap between osu and nd is similar gap between nd and Marshall. Alarming.

Rees better have a plan to light up the scoreboard without Buchner taking too many hits.

We're going to dominate Marshall. Not worried at all. We played so much better game 1 this year than last year

Marshall beat up on Norfolk state. You have to always respect your opponent. Just ask Michigan and Va Tech.

If ND wins, I could see a slight let down. But they lost and are hungry.

We played a completely different level of defense. Look at the Cincy game as a comparable defense. But osu is more talented

How did we look against Cincy at home. Thats the comp. Not Fsu

Come on with your nonsense now
I don’t like Rees, we probably agree there… I just think freeman is an average DC with a chance to be an elite CEO

Paralysis of analysis.

Marsh

ND needs to be up 30 points at some part of fou

The Marshall team is really bad!

If the offensive cannot block , it doesn’t matter who you play. Look at the highlights. Time after time ND offensive line was either beat or confused who to block. Play like that this week and they will struggle again.

If the offensive cannot block , it doesn’t matter who you play. Look at the highlights. Time after time ND offensive line was either beat or confused who to block. Play like that this week and they will struggle again.
They can dominate inferior opponents

Not offensively… thank god we have competent DC this year
Are you related to Kelly or one of the previous regimes coaching staff? Sure sounds like it. There is a term for people like you. "Negative Nancy" You had no problem giving Kelly 12 years of rope, but you are extremely critical of this coaching staff and HC after one game vs a top 2 team on the road.

Are you related to Kelly or one of the previous regimes coaching staff? Sure sounds like it. There is a term for people like you. "Negative Nancy" You had no problem giving Kelly 12 years of rope, but you are extremely critical of this coaching staff and HC after one game vs a top 2 team on the road.
Absolutely not, I think freeman can and hopefully will be better than Kelly as a HC, but he was not a great DC. Our D last year was the worst it’s been since BVG. Freeman better than bvg but there were some similarities.
I also called for Kelly to be gone after 16 season. And then after UM game in 2019.

Reactions: bryangillam
I don’t know enough about Marshall to comment on them. So on paper ND is superior. On the field might be a different story. Just saying. Nothing ND did offensively against the buckeyes looked impressive. Maybe their defense was just really good. Maybe the ND offense isn’t that good. Maybe it’s both. I don’t know. My perspective is this. ND has way better talent than Marshall. However, they have basically all new coaches, new first time starting QB, depleted receivers and an offensive line trying to learn a new blocking scheme. Regardless of who they play , I think it’s going to take quite a few games to gel and get an offensive identity. So if that holds true, just winning is good enough. I don’t believe ND will lose Saturday but I also don’t think they will blow them out either. I’m looking for a similar type game except ND will pull out the win. I will see if my guess is right.

I don’t know enough about Marshall to comment on them. So on paper ND is superior. On the field might be a different story. Just saying. Nothing ND did offensively against the buckeyes looked impressive. Maybe their defense was just really good. Maybe the ND offense isn’t that good. Maybe it’s both. I don’t know. My perspective is this. ND has way better talent than Marshall. However, they have basically all new coaches, new first time starting QB, depleted receivers and an offensive line trying to learn a new blocking scheme. Regardless of who they play , I think it’s going to take quite a few games to gel and get an offensive identity. So if that holds true, just winning is good enough. I don’t believe ND will lose Saturday but I also don’t think they will blow them out either. I’m looking for a similar type game except ND will pull out the win. I will see if my guess is right.
We're going to destroy Marshall and we have to. Winning is not enough. We should win by at least 4 tds

We're going to destroy Marshall and we have to. Winning is not enough. We should win by at least 4 tds
I agree, we need to have the 2nd team in by midway through the 3rd Quarter to give them experience and playing time. Something that rarely if ever happened the past 12 years.

I agree, we need to have the 2nd team in by midway through the 3rd Quarter to give them experience and playing time. Something that rarely if ever happened the past 12 years.
I highly doubt it will happen this week, either, at least on offense. I see our coaches using this game to get our offense clicking. I think a better chance of some early rotations is on defense.

Lost in all of the Rees bashing (warranted imo) and chest pumping (premature imo) is recognition that this is ND staff’s first time under normal game prep. OKS and OSU allowed the staff weeks and months worth of prep. Given their Half Time adjustments (ik it’s not the same) aren’t we all just a tad worried? Meh it is Marshall, I guess?

Now back to Rees bashing… am I the only person (I did read this other post) confused as to why ND didn’t continue using a Jet Sweep formation after having success nearly every time they used it? I’ll say this about Brian Kelly: when he was given evidence of an opponent’s weakness he would keep going back to the well again and again. Obviously Freeman is counting on Rees to see these weaknesses and do the right thing. Yea

Whatever they need to do the next 2 weeks to make Buchner more comfortable they have to figure it out. The interior line needs to not only work it out, but dominate the next 2 weeks. Fair or Not, Coach Freeman is 0-2 now. A certain coordinator needs to step up.

I'm so glad the Internet, social media, and these forums weren't around during Holtz first year. He started out 1-4 with an 18 point loss to #2 Alabama in game 5. This board would have been in pure melt down mode if it existed back then. They'd be calling for Holtz head on a platter.

I'm so glad the Internet, social media, and these forums weren't around during Holtz first year. He started out 1-4 with an 18 point loss to #2 Alabama in game 5. This board would have been in pure melt down mode if it existed back then. They'd be calling for Holtz head on a platter.
Holtz inherited a bad team that went 5-6 year before. Freeman inherited a strong team that went 11-1

Toledo should have beat us. All the QB had to do was not score. Get the first down and slide at the 1. ND was out of TO’s. Run the clock down to 2 seconds. Kick the FG and celebrate.

Instead he goes into the end zone giving us the ball back for Coan to take us down field.

ND was not really a great team last year. We had a good record but FSU, Toledo and Cinci either beat us or should have. We had a very favorable schedule.

This years schedule is tough. .

We should out talent Marshall but we got some things to work on for sure.

We're going to dominate Marshall. Not worried at all. We played so much better game 1 this year than last year
"We're going to dominate Marshall. Not worried at all."

everyone said that about Toledo last year as well ---

This team still has the old guard mentality. It is going take a while before they take on the personality of the new coach. Plus Freeman needs to assert his will. He’s the boss and that needs to be understood by all. It’s up to him to project that.

Reactions: NDinNJ
They need to unleash a passing attack. Throw in all wrs and show us what you got.

If Zeke misses more assignments it needs to be his last start.

Reactions: NDinNJ and Golson5
"We're going to dominate Marshall. Not worried at all."

everyone said that about Toledo last year as well ---
Different coaching staff. Brian Kelly can't get a team up for games. He puts his teams to sleep with his pre-game speeches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT