ADVERTISEMENT

Head Coach Marcus Freeman Improved GREATLY Saturday.

Bodizephax

I've posted how many times?
Feb 24, 2012
Rikers Island (Lifer)
www.gstatic.com
Marcus came of age against Cal. He did not have his team go for it in forth downs Saturday like he did against Marshall. He had his team punt and relied on the strength of his team -- The DEFENSE.
After his starting QB was having a severe case of the yips he told Tommy just to call running plays and pound the rock ! His vision of a "smashmouth" football team came to fruition.
#7 Audric Estime is the closest thing we have had to Jerome Bettis. And he will be even more effective with Logan Diggs back healthy. Marcus said all week that Chris Tyree was going to be used alot.
I think he must have seen the GREATNESS of Tyree in practice and known what a talent he was and that Tommy needed to use him more. It worked. Chris had a great game on the ground and in the passing game.
The Irish defense was hitting hard this game and looking for turnovers which has always been a trait of Marcus's coached defenses. I did not mind the targeting hit. The Irish are putting the fear of God into the opponents receivers !

*** Marcus and Tommy did not panic like many of the GCLT'S on this board did.

*** We can win with Pyne. All he has to do is not turn the ball over and hand the ball off to ND's tremendous ball carriers and hit our stud receivers like Styles, Tyree, and Mayer on play action passes.
We have a GREAT defense and we will be getting more turnovers as the season progresses.

And one more thing ! The Irish used a Fullback Saturday ! Marcus has been reading and corresponding with Lou !
Dominate Oline ! Dominate defense ! Dominate big running backs ! Old school !

Audric Estime will be the next Jerome Bettis ! Marcus will be the next Lou !

Last edited:
It was Cal!😉... but they will beat UNC...
I get ahead of myself sometimes. Like I started piling up on Ibonds years ago due to my fear of inflation. I was making like 1.2 % interest. Now I am making 9.63% and even over 10% on many bonds. Treasury.gov is free and the interest I get every month keeps rising. I am still buying heavy on large and small caps in my 401k but in five years time that will pay off big time. I did the same thing in 2008 and wow! Did I make money off of that. Now I am studying up on research on greatly extending the lifespan of human beings. This lady scientist has made great strides on her studies of a jelly fish that grows old and then grows young again. There are genomes that regenerate themselves. It is just a matter of time when scientists will be able to correct our genetic structure so we can live far into our 100.s. Of course your life could be ended by a bus running over you but dieing of old age would be less common. We can all advance if we think positive and lose the negativity. Not talking directly to you. Just to some on this board. Sorry about the run on sentences. I am posting on a small phone in a dark room. Go Irish !! Beat NC!

Reactions: tbone3114
"Not talking directly to you. Just to some on this board. Sorry about the run on sentences. I am posting on a small phone in a dark room."

There doesn't happen to be a young girl bound and gagged right next to you I hope😳

Reactions: Airzee23
Pat, where do you see the issues?

Offense
Defense
MF
TR
AG
As Zhou Enlai so eloquently stated, it’s too early to tell.

However, the defense looks to be more than adequate and improving, but UNC will be a good test.

With regard to the offense, you have to examine the component parts and I think that the OLine has significant room for improvement.

It all starts with the OLine.
1. Pass protection
2. Run blocking

Without # 1 and # 2 this offense won‘t be productive, which means that the TOP will hurt the defense.

When your running game averages 3.2 YPC for three games, that’s not a good sign.

Ya know...

I think Bodi is trying to replicate the Bill Swersky's superfans....

you know like...
who will rush more in the next game?
Irish 787 yards and NC negative -67

Next he will predict that Marcus Freeman could beat God in golf.

I will be serious because this thread is in dire need of some seriousness and sanity.

Estime is NOT the next Bettis.

He is the next Estime and he will only go as far as Tommy Rees allows him to go.

We might have beat OSU had he just ran Estime 30 times. Literally could have just ran Estime and the stupid zone read play and Estime and Buchner could've just ran up and down the field. Sure there would've been some 3 and outs but so what...Brian Kelly ...and now TR.....wrote the god damn book on 3 and out in a big game. Playing offense like a coward in the big games has been the staple of this ND team over the last dozen years and nothing has changed from that. Nothing whatsoever!

"Marcus and Tommy did not panic?"

Bullshit!!! They were in panic mode. Full on panic mode. Freeman has the distinction of being the only coach in Irish history to start his career 0-3. Tommy Rees offense put up 118 yards...yes...118 yards in 30 mins of play to halftime.

You better believe they were in full on panic mode.

Ya know the one who probably saved the day was Al Golden. He probably said something to Freeman like I have lived the ups and downs...relax and something good will happen.

Regardless....

this team will NOT be a power football team because Tommy won't fully commit to doing it. He literally can't help himself and thinks he's some mad scientist.

You had mentioned something about patience in some other post...

well TR is in year 4. How much patience would you like? If your answer is anything other than just wait until the next game I would be surprised.

This team might have some good material but you'd never know that because the offensive coach is terrible and continues the Brian Kelly way of playing offense like a coward.

Afraid of failure is the only sure fire way to solidify failure!

Ya know...

you know like...

I will be serious because this thread is in dire need of some seriousness and sanity.

He is the next Estime and he will only go as far as Tommy Rees allows him to go.

We might have beat OSU had he just ran Estime 30 times. Literally could have just ran Estime and the stupid zone read play and Estime and Buchner could've just ran up and down the field. Sure there would've been some 3 and outs but so what...Brian Kelly ...and now TR.....wrote the god damn book on 3 and out in a big game. Playing offense like a coward in the big games has been the staple of this ND team over the last dozen years and nothing has changed from that. Nothing whatsoever!

Bullshit!!! They were in panic mode. Full on panic mode. Freeman has the distinction of being the only coach in Irish history to start his career 0-3. Tommy Rees offense put up 118 yards...yes...118 yards in 30 mins of play to halftime.

Ya know the one who probably saved the day was Al Golden. He probably said something to Freeman like I have lived the ups and downs...relax and something good will happen.

Regardless....

this team will NOT be a power football team because Tommy won't fully commit to doing it. He literally can't help himself and thinks he's some mad scientist.

well TR is in year 4. How much patience would you like? If your answer is anything other than just wait until the next game I would be surprised.

This team might have some good material but you'd never know that because the offensive coach is terrible and continues the Brian Kelly way of playing offense like a coward.

3.2 YPC isn’t on the coaching staff, it’s on the players !

3.2 YPC isn’t on the coaching staff, it’s on the players !
You obviously know nothing about coaching. Trust me when I tell you I'm not saying that in a malicious manner.

See...... one play...
like the short hop pass Pyne threw on that little waggle play...the one that drew the ire of TR on the horn......
That's on a player.

A collective stat over an entire game like you're pointing to is on the coaches.

As a coach your job is to put the players in the best possible positions and situations to succeed.
Personnel, formation, the play itself and when to run it are all things that contribute to putting your product in the best spot for succession.

The season is early but Cal is definitely the least talented team we've faced this year. At least from a defensive front seven point of view and their Dline was flat out bad.

3.2 ypc against that front seven is absolutely nothing to rally around. Matter of fact....

It's a much lower YPC average than opponents average against us in the biggest of games.

Sorry but that 3.2 average in that game is extremely pedestrian.

The coaches are responsible for the preparation, substitution and scheme. When to call a play and who should run it.
All on the coaches.

If the players themselves don't want it bad enough...then it's on the coaches who didn't or can't motivate them enough.

If the players just aren't good enough...again...that's on the coaches as they're not prepared properly for the game.

You obviously know nothing about coaching. Trust me when I tell you I'm not saying that in a malicious manner.

See...... one play...
like the short hop pass Pyne threw on that little waggle play...the one that drew the ire of TR on the horn......
That's on a player.

A collective stat over an entire game like you're pointing to is on the coaches.

As a coach your job is to put the players in the best possible positions and situations to succeed.
Personnel, formation, the play itself and when to run it are all things that contribute to putting your product in the best spot for succession.

The season is early but Cal is definitely the least talented team we've faced this year. At least from a defensive front seven point of view and their Dline was flat out bad.

3.2 ypc against that front seven is absolutely nothing to rally around. Matter of fact....

It's a much lower YPC average than opponents average against us in the biggest of games.

Sorry but that 3.2 average in that game is extremely pedestrian.

The coaches are responsible for the preparation, substitution and scheme. When to call a play and who should run it.
All on the coaches.

If the players themselves don't want it bad enough...then it's on the coaches who didn't or can't motivate them enough.

If the players just aren't good enough...again...that's on the coaches as they're not prepared properly for the game.
If your players, your offensive line, can’t block the defensive line and line backers, that’s on the players, NOT the coaches.

If your players, the offensive line, can’t provide adequate pocket protection for your QB, that’s on the players, NOT the coaches.

So while I must know nothing about coaching, I know a little about playing and I know what player responsibilities are about, individually and collectively.

But while we’re on the subject of coaching, why would Harbaugh, a highly successful coach in the NFL and college, recruit spread personnel if his intent, his game plan is to run power football ?

Since you’re the expert on coaching, please explain that to us.

Thanks

Last edited:
If your players, your offensive line, can’t block the defensive line and line backers, that’s on the players, NOT the coaches.

If your players, the offensive line, can’t provide adequate pocket protection for your QB, that’s on the players, NOT the coaches.

So while I must know nothing about coaching, I know a little about playing and I know what player responsibilities are about, individually and collectively.

But while we’re on the subject of coaching, why would Harbaugh, a highly successful coach in the NFL and college, recruit spread personnel if his intent, his game plan is to run power football ?

Thanks

Huh?

I'm not sure I'm reading what you wrote here....as in are you five years old?

Courtesy of google/Webster

coach2
/kōCH/
Learn to pronounce
See definitions in:
All
Transportation
Sport
Education
noun

1. an athletic instructor or trainer.
    "a football coach"

Similar:

instructor

trainer

teacher

tutor

mentor

guru

crammer

pedagogue
verb
  1. train or instruct (a team or player)

"If your players, your offensive line, can’t block the defensive line and line backers, that’s on the players, NOT the coaches."
    Wow!!! Just wow..

Thanks

Huh?

coach2
/kōCH/
Learn to pronounce
See definitions in:
All
Transportation
Sport
Education
noun

"a football coach"

Similar:

instructor

trainer

teacher

tutor

mentor

guru

crammer

pedagogue
verb

"If your players, your offensive line, can’t block the defensive line and line backers, that’s on the players, NOT the coaches."
    Wow!!! Just wow...
  2. If your players, your offensive line, can’t block the defensive line and line backers, that’s on the players, NOT the coaches.

Thanks
"If your players, your offensive line, can’t block the defensive line and line backers, that’s on the players, NOT the coaches.

So while I must know nothing about coaching, I know a little about playing and I know what player responsibilities are about, individually and collectively"

Who is teaching these players?
Technique, fundamentals, discipline, etc...

Wait for it.....

The coaches

If you're suggesting the players are physically incapable of performing the task at hand.....

Who recruited said players?

The coaches. ( now this group isn't Freeman's players but it's safe to say they're not chopped liver and certainly capable of playing better.

Lastly....and most importantly...

Show me a coach that doesn't take responsibility for his product's performance on the field and I'll show you a loser of a coach and just loser individual overall.

The team is his product. A collection of moving parts working together to achieve a goal.

If that goal isn't met THE COACH is the blame. If the message he is sending to the players is wrong...it's his fault. (Message being what he's teaching)
If the message is correct but they players aren't implementing it..it's again on the coaches because they're not getting the message....for whatever reason.

If the players are too slow and unathletic it's not on the coach. He can't MAKE them faster or bigger frames, etc.

However, why are they recruited and signed if they don't possess the adequate D1 God's gifts of size, speed, strength and athleticism.

Again...the coach.

I really don't quite understand how the hell you actually wrote what you did.

Huh?

coach2
/kōCH/
Learn to pronounce
See definitions in:
All
Transportation
Sport
Education
noun

"a football coach"

Similar:

instructor

trainer

teacher

tutor

mentor

guru

crammer

pedagogue
verb

Wow!!! Just wow...
"If your players, your offensive line, can’t block the defensive line and line backers, that’s on the players, NOT the coaches.

So while I must know nothing about coaching, I know a little about playing and I know what player responsibilities are about, individually and collectively"

Who is teaching these players?
Technique, fundamentals, discipline, etc...

Wait for it.....

The coaches

If you're suggesting the players are physically incapable of performing the task at hand.....

Who recruited said players?

The coaches. ( now this group isn't Freeman's players but it's safe to say they're not chopped liver and certainly capable of playing better.

Lastly....and most importantly...

Show me a coach that doesn't take responsibility for his product's performance on the field and I'll show you a loser of a coach and just loser individual overall.

The team is his product. A collection of moving parts working together to achieve a goal.

If that goal isn't met THE COACH is the blame. If the message he is sending to the players is wrong...it's his fault. (Message being what he's teaching)
If the message is correct but they players aren't implementing it..it's again on the coaches because they're not getting the message....for whatever reason.

If the players are too slow and unathletic it's not on the coach. He can't MAKE them faster or bigger frames, etc.

However, why are they recruited and signed if they don't possess the adequate D1 God's gifts of size, speed, strength and athleticism.

Again...the coach.

I really don't quite understand how the hell you actually wrote what you did.
I tend to agree with what you are saying. Add in these were highly recruited linemen. Recruited by legitimate top 5 schools, so either all of these coaches that recruited them were wrong and ND got stuck with 5 terrible OL, or the coaching and development is bad.

I tend to agree with what you are saying. Add in these were highly recruited linemen. Recruited by legitimate top 5 schools, so either all of these coaches that recruited them were wrong and ND got stuck with 5 terrible OL, or the coaching and development is bad.
OL prospects are difficult to evaluate. Them and QB’s. And apparently OC’s.

Reactions: NDinNJ
Ya know...

you know like...

Regardless....

We have only 3 games and you think the whole season is set in stone. You are no expert. I used to think you cared aboutthe team. You just like to trash the Irish. You were trashing the Irish even when we made the playoffs 2 out of 3 years. I choose the Irish. You trolls and whiners can kiss my a$$

Huh?

coach2
/kōCH/
Learn to pronounce
See definitions in:
All
Transportation
Sport
Education
noun

"a football coach"

Similar:

instructor

trainer

teacher

tutor

mentor

guru

crammer

pedagogue
verb

Wow!!! Just wow..

Lots of verbiage with no substance.

You blamed ND’s lack of performance on the coaches, when failure to execute is solely on the players, NOT the coaches.

You also failed to explain your seriously flawed premise where you contend that Harbaugh wants to run the power game, but he keeps recruiting players for the spread game..

Would you explain how you know that and WHY he would recruit players I’ll suited for the run game.

Thanks

North Carolina has one of the best offenses in the country. If we don’t play defense similar to how we played against Ohio State, it may get ugly. I do not believe Pyne can match UNC in scoring a shootout. I think we lose, unfortunately. Conservative offensively won’t cut it, but Pyne doesn’t have what it takes to match UNC imo. The receiver rooms aren’t even close.

North Carolina has one of the best offenses in the country. If we don’t play defense similar to how we played against Ohio State, it may get ugly. I do not believe Pyne can match UNC in scoring a shootout. I think we lose, unfortunately. Conservative offensively won’t cut it, but Pyne doesn’t have what it takes to match UNC imo. The receiver rooms aren’t even close.
Baby steps! ND still has upside to compete at a higher level. Should be an entertaining test!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT