ADVERTISEMENT

Stetson Bennett is a lesser Ian Book

Bennett doesn’t get enough credit for Georgia's success, imo. As for book, I think he wins titles w/ the ‘18 clemson team or the ‘20 Bama team. That doesn’t mean I thought he was as good as Lawrence or maybe even Mac Jones (although it’s a much closer call w/ Jones), but he was plenty good enough to win w/ those two teams. Swap wrs & dbs & I think ND wins or plays it as close as a tossup in those two playoffs.
Right, and Book made it to the super bowl in two years, before Jones or Lawrence.

• Haha
Reactions: francade
No they didn't have more talent or equal talent than we did. That's not true at all. We have more across the board.

Put Luck on our teams and we smoke those Stanford teams

Very weird argument and take.
This is true in a vacuum. Luck is greater than book.

I don't think people put enough credence into what Kelly pushed his qbs to do. He purposely had them focus on zero turnovers and very safe passes. That is outrageously limiting to a QB and is just one reason he wasn't getting elite QB recruits.

No matter who was QB, Kelly was going to have them focus on one on one sideline fades and back shoulder throws, dump offs and simple te routes. The real question here is...would Kelly have ruined luck by forcing him into his system

Yup , Pretty crazy that ncaa allows 25 yr olds to play against 17 yr olds. Although our rental qb maybe 24 already. I’m sure during and after ww2 there were plenty of guys in their mid 20’s.
Did you just start watching NCAA football?

Chris Weinke would definitely like a word.....

Reactions: NDinNJ
This is true in a vacuum. Luck is greater than book.

I don't think people put enough credence into what Kelly pushed his qbs to do. He purposely had them focus on zero turnovers and very safe passes. That is outrageously limiting to a QB and is just one reason he wasn't getting elite QB recruits.

No matter who was QB, Kelly was going to have them focus on one on one sideline fades and back shoulder throws, dump offs and simple te routes. The real question here is...would Kelly have ruined luck by forcing him into his system
Let me tell you something strange that happened...

BK @ Cinci was on the hungry and on the cutting edge.

Cinci was notoriously on Thursday nights or Saturday nights on the deuce because of ratings. Why?
They were doing this thing nobody elsr was at the time. Hurry up offense from the first possession onward. The rules weren't allowing defense time to sub a guy if you subbed a guy.
Nobody was doing that at the time. They exploited the rules for an advantage. Good for him.

He also let his QB run wild. Running and throwing all sorts of passes.

What happened?

BK really went into a boxed in corner post Kizer.
See Wimbush couldn't throw accurately...and Book had the weakest arm in ND history.

But...

If you played it ultra safe and afraid of failure you can possibly eek out wins.

Thus Book and co. did just that going to the Cotton in 18 undefeated (no tough games that year)
Once they finally met real competition you had a 30-3 bloodbath that could've been 80-3 easily.

What happened after?
Book stayed too long but that little taste of success (superficial) cemented BK's fear of failure offensive philosophy.

That's the rest of the story

Paul Harvey

I would say that the 30-3 bloodbath could’ve easily been an ND win had we been able to run the ball (or catch the ball for that matter, we had at least 5 drops, 2-3 crucial ones). Clemson had done virtually nothing until 5 minutes to go in the half when love went out w/ injury. Book played pretty well in the first half. He missed a couple opportunities, but he didn’t play badly in the first half. Their defense w/ a big lead was too much to overcome in the 2nd half but that game was not on book, other spots were more of the reason we lost.

Reactions: notredamerises23
No shit!? Well aware of that and still can’t believe it’s allowed.

NCAA's rule is 4 years of eligibility. Nothing g about age. A 40 year old can decide to go to college and walk-on the football team and he'd have 4 years of eligibility.,

Reactions: 88ND
Bennett doesn’t get enough credit for Georgia's success, imo. As for book, I think he wins titles w/ the ‘18 clemson team or the ‘20 Bama team. That doesn’t mean I thought he was as good as Lawrence or maybe even Mac Jones (although it’s a much closer call w/ Jones), but he was plenty good enough to win w/ those two teams. Swap wrs & dbs & I think ND wins or plays it as close as a tossup in those two playoffs.
Clemson and Bama killed it with the deep pass...

Book...couldn't throw a deep pass.

He's a safe QB. A 3 yard curl and occasional back shoulder sideline throw QB.

He's not airing it out.

He's a perfect NFL backup QB provided they don't NEED to use him. What I mean is he'll take whatever contract they'll give him and the giveth privately hopes the starter never gets hurt.
He fills the backup spot ultra cheap

who was the oldest college (FBS, D1) QB of the last 30 years?

Wasn’t Wenke of FSU on S.S. when he played his last year?

who was the oldest college (FBS, D1) QB of the last 30 years?

Wasn’t Wenke of FSU on S.S. when he played his last year?
Perse, Brandon Weeden was 28 when he graduated Oklahoma State. Maybe it was him.

Let me tell you something strange that happened...

BK @ Cinci was on the hungry and on the cutting edge.

Cinci was notoriously on Thursday nights or Saturday nights on the deuce because of ratings. Why?
They were doing this thing nobody elsr was at the time. Hurry up offense from the first possession onward. The rules weren't allowing defense time to sub a guy if you subbed a guy.
Nobody was doing that at the time. They exploited the rules for an advantage. Good for him.

He also let his QB run wild. Running and throwing all sorts of passes.

What happened?

BK really went into a boxed in corner post Kizer.
See Wimbush couldn't throw accurately...and Book had the weakest arm in ND history.

But...

If you played it ultra safe and afraid of failure you can possibly eek out wins.

Thus Book and co. did just that going to the Cotton in 18 undefeated (no tough games that year)
Once they finally met real competition you had a 30-3 bloodbath that could've been 80-3 easily.

What happened after?
Book stayed too long but that little taste of success (superficial) cemented BK's fear of failure offensive philosophy.

That's the rest of the story

Paul Harvey
You are not wrong.

Clemson and Bama killed it with the deep pass...

Book...couldn't throw a deep pass.

“He's a safe QB. A 3 yard curl and occasional back shoulder sideline throw QB.

He's not airing it out.

He's a perfect NFL backup QB provided they don't NEED to use him. What I mean is he'll take whatever contract they'll give him and the giveth privately hopes the starter never gets hurt.
He fills the backup spot ultra cheap”

I don’t really give a shit what he does or doesn’t do in the pros, he was plenty good enough to win a title w/ those teams I mentioned. We’ll agree to disagree on the subject.

NCAA's rule is 4 years of eligibility. Nothing g about age. A 40 year old can decide to go to college and walk-on the football team and he'd have 4 years of eligibility.,
I understand that but if the ncaa is concerned about player safety why allow grown men to tee off on 17/18/19 yr olds?

I understand that but if the ncaa is concerned about player safety why allow grown men to tee off on 17/18/19 yr olds?
It's not really a big deal.

The only area of concern would be the interior line. Those guy have ungodly strength. .
Funny how people will say a winless pro team would lose to a dominant college team.

That's most hilarious thing ever.

The perimter guys could hang some but it's in the trenches where you have grown men with imense adult strength that would destroy the college line.

But....

If you've got a 310# animal playing guard @ 28... he'd be in the pro's already as his three years removed from high school had sailed.

Weinke, Stetson hat dude...

These are QB's and not posing any physicality advantages whatsoever

There are plenty of young men, 17 or 18 year olds, who coming into college weighting 300 plus pounds. Freshmen who are already grown men.

ADVERTISEMENT