ADVERTISEMENT

Stetson Bennett is a lesser Ian Book

Plenty people do. Just a lot on this board do not. But there is plenty of good knowledgeable posters on this board as well.

Its the dopes that ruin it
well, good job! you keep pointing them out!

No kidding. With the talent that we can get, because we cant get Alabama and Georgia talent, you need that big time QB

I dont think anyone is saying you can with a generational talent at qb and average players.

So the question is legitimate, can you name a team that didnt have one or the other
The obvious answer is no, but your premise, if I'm following you, is that a star QB would have been enough for ND to have won a national title over the past few years??? I think is completely wrong, and can't be proven. It wasn't our QB play that has held us back, it's our other weaknesses. We haven't put a equally talented team, offense and defense, and that's what has stopped us. Not to mention, by generational, your talking about a handful or less of kids that fit that description, which 99.9% of schools don't get. Even UGA, and AL

Reactions: francade
The obvious answer is no, but your premise, if I'm following you, is that a star QB would have been enough for ND to have won a national title over the past few years??? I think is completely wrong, and can't be proven. It wasn't our QB play that has held us back, it's our other weaknesses. We haven't put a equally talented team, offense and defense, and that's what has stopped us. Not to mention, by generational, your talking about a handful or less of kids that fit that description, which 99.9% of schools don't get. Even UGA, and AL
If we trade QBs in the 2018 Cotton Bowl, ND wins that game.

I think QB has held us back. For sure

I also think CB and overall team speed.

I think if we had a Andrew Luck, lets say, for the next 3 years, with our talent and the talent MF is bringing in, we could win a NC.

I dont think we could win a NC with our talent with any of BKs quarterbacks. Not good enough.

I think QB has held us back. For sure

I also think CB and overall team speed.

I think if we had a Andrew Luck, lets say, for the next 3 years, with our talent and the talent MF is bringing in, we could win a NC.

I dont think we could win a NC with our talent with any of BKs quarterbacks. Not good enough.
Disagree, Andrew Luck beat ND and didn't win a national title. It's TBD regarding the talent level MF is bringing in, so it's complete speculation, an unknown at this point.

With respect to the Fiesta Bowl, that is on the defense not the offense that scored 35 points with a missed chip shot FG. And this notion that the defense was gassed is bullshit. OSU torched them to end the half and in the 3rd QTR. The defensive secondary was exposed big time. So, QB didn't hold us back at all, defense did

Reactions: 88ND
Disagree, Andrew Luck beat ND and didn't win a national title. It's TBD regarding the talent level MF is bringing in, so it's complete speculation, an unknown at this point
What??

Just because Andrew luck beat us at Stanford and didnt win a NC....what does that have to do with putting Andrew Luck at ND and us competing for a NC?

That made zero sense by you. Weird one

We've already seen what MF has done in recruiting in the 22 and 23 class. Thats the talent Im talking about. Not speculation

you just need to have the #1 or #2 or #3 recruiting class for 5 years in a row, and you need your opponents two NFL Wrs to go out injured. orrrrrrrrrrrrr you can have good recruiting classes every year, develop your players, and have a dynamic championship level QB.
Wrong. Clemson won 2 titles in the last 5 years, their first with recruiting classes similar to ND's during that same time period.

What??

Just because Andrew luck beat us at Stanford and didnt win a NC....what does that have to do with putting Andrew Luck at ND and us competing for a NC?

That made zero sense by you. Weird one

We've already seen what MF has done in recruiting in the 22 and 23 class. Thats the talent Im talking about. Not speculation
Not weird at all, Stanford had more talent, or at least equal talent, plus Andrew Luck, and he wasn't able to win a NC. Regarding the incoming class and 23, we have no idea how good those classes will be until they are on the field. So its pure speculation that Luck and MF recruits can win a NC. All time will tell.

Not weird at all, Stanford had more talent, or at least equal talent, plus Andrew Luck, and he wasn't able to win a NC. Regarding the incoming class and 23, we have no idea how good those classes will be until they are on the field. So its pure speculation that Luck and MF recruits can win a NC. All time will tell.
No they didn't have more talent or equal talent than we did. That's not true at all. We have more across the board.

Put Luck on our teams and we smoke those Stanford teams

Very weird argument and take.

Wrong. Clemson won 2 titles in the last 5 years, their first with recruiting classes similar to ND's during that same time period.
He did say orrrr good recruiting classes and have a dynamic championship level qb

That was the Clemson blueprint. Very good recruiting classes but not elite, but having that elite qb, Watson and Trevor

That's what we need to try to do. That's our only chance

Reactions: notredamerises23
He did say orrrr good recruiting classes and have a dynamic championship level qb

That was the Clemson blueprint. Very good recruiting classes but not elite, but having that elite qb, Watson and Trevor

That's what we need to try to do. That's our only chance
Trevor yes , he was elite. Watson, not so much . he was a 4 star coming out of HS.

No they didn't have more talent or equal talent than we did. That's not true at all. We have more across the board.

Put Luck on our teams and we smoke those Stanford teams

Very weird argument and take.
So we lost to them several times, going back to 1993, because we were more talented? Ah OK

Trevor yes , he was elite. Watson, not so much . he was a 4 star coming out of HS.
Don't care what he was out of HS. I want a Deshaun Watson right now. He's the type of qb we need. Elite

We can win a Title with a Deshaun Watson type within the next 5 years

So we lost to them several times, going back to 1993, because we were more talented? Ah OK
We're talking about our team now, not 20 years ago. Putting Andrew Luck on this team.

Are you okay? You are making no sense

And yes we are more talented right now than Stanford or any Stanford team during that timeframe.

I'm worried about you. You arent making any sense at all

Don't care what he was out of HS. i wasn't a Deshaun Watson right now. He's the type of qb we need. Elite

Never understood the idea of looking back at star rankings after the fact. Like Einstein getting a C in an elementary math class. With that line of thinking, there are only 1-3 former 5 star quarterbacks starting in the NFL. One is Trevor Lawrence. Not exactly my choice for league MVP. The only other former 5 star that I know of is Matthew Stafford. None are named Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, Mac Jones, Murray, Big Ben, Wilson, Burrow… Niether were Drew Brees, Andrew Luck or really many others that are or were great. In fact, looking at rosters, the best thing former 5 stars are good at is backing up the former 3-4 stars that are actually great.

Last edited:
Reactions: 88ND
Buck Belue. He completed exactly 1 pass against us in the 1981 Sugar Bowl, as I recall.
The immortal Buck Belue!. I remember one thing he did right: He provoked Scott Zettak, a great defensive lineman for us whose career was derailed by injuries, into committing a personal foul for unnecessary roughness after a sack. That gave Georgia what was probably the final first down they needed to win that game — not that our moribund offense would have been able to put together a second TD drive anyway.

Don't care what he was out of HS. I want a Deshaun Watson right now. He's the type of qb we need. Elite

Agree, we should be going after the best of the best.

If we trade QBs in the 2018 Cotton Bowl, ND wins that game.
If we trade coaches we don't lose by 27.
Moreover you absolutely positively can't guarantee a victory just swapping QB's.
Do you trust Brian Kelly to handle Trevor Lawrence properly?

He's done nothing in 12 years to indicate good QB coaching/development ..etc

More of this fairytale gibberish.
It's always 5 years. 5 years you'd say...BK was on his way to a NC in 5 years. Just you wait and see....huh. You spouted that shit off every other day.

Who wouldn't want a Deshaun Watson? Unsurprisingly you forgot to mention Deshaun had tremendous help on both sides of the ball and most importantly a good staff that had the team ready to play with confidence. They EXPECTED to win. They knew they deserved to be there and believed the opposition put their girdle on the same god damn way they did.

BK..on the other hand was fools gold. He had our team pissing in the pants coming off the bus. We played tentative and timid in those games. Every god damn one of them.

It takes a bit more than an elite QB to win a NC especially when the other twenty one starting players are asking someone to pinch them because they just can't believe they are in this game against that team.

Once they've spotted the opposition 24 points they settle down and only get outscored by two touchdowns in the second half.

More of this fairytale gibberish.
It's always 5 years. 5 years you'd say...BK was on his way to a NC in 5 years. Just you wait and see....huh. You spouted that shit off every other day.

Who wouldn't want a Deshaun Watson? Unsurprisingly you forgot to mention Deshaun had tremendous help on both sides of the ball and most importantly a good staff that had the team ready to play with confidence. They EXPECTED to win. They knew they deserved to be there and believed the opposition put their girdle on the same god damn way they did.

BK..on the other hand was fools gold. He had our team pissing in the pants coming off the bus. We played tentative and timid in those games. Every god damn one of them.

It takes a bit more than an elite QB to win a NC especially when the other twenty one starting players are asking someone to pinch them because they just can't believe they are in this game against that team.

Once they've spotted the opposition 24 points they settle down and only get outscored by two touchdowns in the second half.
No shit it takes more than an elite QB to win a NC

Thanks for your input on this board. No one here would know that. Thanks for enlightening all of us to what an 8 year old could tell us

What a deep knowledge you have

Buchner could be an elite QB. With HH he will have an effective OL, and that will give him a running game. MF will give him the elite D. I just hope they don't lose Tyler...

If we trade coaches we don't lose by 27.
Moreover you absolutely positively can't guarantee a victory just swapping QB's.
Do you trust Brian Kelly to handle Trevor Lawrence properly?

He's done nothing in 12 years to indicate good QB coaching/development ..etc
Since this is all speculation, I’d say very valid point … no telling what Kelly and staff would have done with Lawrence, evidence suggests he wouldn’t have sniffed the field as an underclassman and quite likely ends up transferring.

Reactions: Chitown11 and 88ND
NIL $ changes the whole game. It is now a competition between boosters. They are all trying to outdo(outspend) each other. College-college football is DEAD! We are seeing some sort of distorted video like competition. Who believes that Jimbo is such a great Head Coach that he has become a football messiah all of a sudden? Or is it more likely that the boosters are playing a game of, “let’s get the greatest recruiting class of all time’ , yep, #1!

NIL $ changes the whole game. It is now a competition between boosters. They are all trying to outdo(outspend) each other. College-college football is DEAD! We are seeing some sort of distorted video like competition. Who believes that Jimbo is such a great Head Coach that he has become a football messiah all of a sudden? Or is it more likely that the boosters are playing a game of, “let’s get the greatest recruiting class of all time’ , yep, #1!
There were enough great players and great coaches that 20 programs could be perennial competitors for a championship and in a given year several more could emerge with just the right scenario … with NIL and free transfers the best players will be consolidated into 5-7 programs and those that fly under radar or bloom later at another program can just transfer to top team as soon as they are a proven talent. The sport is heading in a direction where it makes no sense to keep 100 teams in a division where the gap between top 10 and other 90 is not realistic. Same is becoming true in big conferences. Add on Covid and you can see the fan support waning at many programs.

Reactions: 88ND and d1042
There were enough great players and great coaches that 20 programs could be perennial competitors for a championship and in a given year several more could emerge with just the right scenario … with NIL and free transfers the best players will be consolidated into 5-7 programs and those that fly under radar or bloom later at another program can just transfer to top team as soon as they are a proven talent. The sport is heading in a direction where it makes no sense to keep 100 teams in a division where the gap between top 10 and other 90 is not realistic. Same is becoming true in big conferences. Add on Covid and you can see the fan support waning at many programs.
This $$$ horseshit has just begun.

I dont know how old you are but imagine if you will this $$ bullshit stuff was going on in 1993.

Powlus...who was the most coveted recruit in the history of college football. ( That was a monster situation to the likes never before seen)
Let's say that was going on today. He'd possibly could fetch more money than most NFL QB's.
Some J.R. Ewing type would just say whatever it takes. Get him on campus.

This is an absolute joke

Reactions: Chitown11
Never understood the idea of looking back at star rankings after the fact. Like Einstein getting a C in an elementary math class. With that line of thinking, there are only 1-3 former 5 star quarterbacks starting in the NFL. One is Trevor Lawrence. Not exactly my choice for league MVP. The only other former 5 star that I know of is Matthew Stafford. None are named Brady, Mahomes, Rodgers, Mac Jones, Murray, Big Ben, Wilson, Burrow… Niether were Drew Brees, Andrew Luck or really many others that are or were great. In fact, looking at rosters, the best thing former 5 stars are good at is backing up the former 3-4 stars that are actually great.
So, by your logic, at the college level it comes down to development, which I agree with. These kids coming out of HS have raw talent, which needs to be developed at the next level. This is where Kelly failed miserable at the QB position.

Reactions: 88ND and Kelso86
So, by your logic, at the college level it comes down to development, which I agree with. These kids coming out of HS have raw talent, which needs to be developed at the next level. This is where Kelly failed miserable at the QB position.
Development is everything. Riley developed Mayfield and others to win the Heisman. Top programs recruit themselves though, hence the reason Freeman has yet to out recruit BK despite trying 10x’s harder. Even if he is “out recruiting” BK, he’s not doing it by much. BK didn’t develop QBs, but he hired Elko and Lea. He also hired Freeman, who I think was the worst of the 3. Regardless, Freeman is a likable guy so he’s easy to root for. I haven’t seen any evidence that he can develop players. I think our defense keeps getting worse since Lea left. ND will always land good classes, not great ones. Development is what ND needs to win a title. An elite QB and developer of QBs would help.

Kelly's problem was he always wanted to be a QB but wasn't good enough.

He was a linebacker as a player yet he absolutely insisted on having his fingers all intertwined with the offense and QB position as a coach.

Not saying one can't make a switch but don't you think it's odd that he was a defensive player and absolutely positively refused to do anything defense related as a coach. You'd think he despised defense as he wanted nothing to do with it as a coach.

Offense on the other hand....ooohhhhh....he's the QB guru and offensive genius. Just ask him.

I think he always wanted to play offense and in particular Quarterback but never was able to.
As the HC he can do what he wants thus he loved playing with the offense

Reactions: NDinNJ
Stetson Bennett 25 year old college student?
He’s 25 ?
Yup , Pretty crazy that ncaa allows 25 yr olds to play against 17 yr olds. Although our rental qb maybe 24 already. I’m sure during and after ww2 there were plenty of guys in their mid 20’s.

Bennett doesn’t get enough credit for Georgia's success, imo. As for book, I think he wins titles w/ the ‘18 clemson team or the ‘20 Bama team. That doesn’t mean I thought he was as good as Lawrence or maybe even Mac Jones (although it’s a much closer call w/ Jones), but he was plenty good enough to win w/ those two teams. Swap wrs & dbs & I think ND wins or plays it as close as a tossup in those two playoffs.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT