ADVERTISEMENT

RIP Stanford Football

IrishFforida

Irish Expert
Jan 7, 2018
Remember when the Sewing CIrcle & the Kelly Cranks held up Stanford as the shining city on the hill?

Winning "Major Bowls", beating ND 4 out of 5 (09 to 13) Running that 2 Back, Multiple TE, NFL old fashioned power offense. What a difference 9 years makes? After Harbaugh and Luck left, Shaw briefly continued to have success through the middle of the decade winning a couple of Rose Bowls in 12 & 15.

But i cautioned at that time, Stanford would begin to go on the back slide, because the offense they ran, the style of football they played, was TOTALLY unappealing to top level HS skill players. Once the few explosive players Stanford had, were gone.(K Hogan, C McCaffrey, B Love) Stanford had absolutely had NO shot at replacing them. And the results, especially over the last 3 seasons are frankly stunning. I knew they would go backwards, but this is a far worse than i imagined. Remember In 2018, Stanford came into ND Stadium 4-0 ranked #7 and played ND who at that time was ranked #8

And for the first time in the series you could see clearly how ND & Kelly had become a much longer, faster and more athletic roster. ND easily beat Stanford 38-17 that night. And easily blew them out last year. Since that 2018 game ND is 27-3. Stanford meanwhile is 9-14.

Remember the whole Stanford theme was run the ball, eat the clock, throw seam routes off play action to the TE and 50/50 jump ball to big WR's in the Red Zone. WIth guys like McCaffrey and B Love available for the home run to keep you honest. By controlling the ball and the clock, the big, slow, unathletic, Stanford defenses would only have to pay a limited number of snaps

But the chickens have come home to roost. Players like McCaffrey and Love are not going to Stanford. With zero threat for a big play, teams are stacking the boxes and Stanford cannot run. Which means they cannot control the clock. Which means the Stanford defense is on the field for more snaps. The crowds last year shrunk right along with the win totals. The only silver lining for David Shaw, is that no one really seems to care.

RIP Stanford 2007 to 2020 it was nice knowing you.

Not sure you can fully write them off yet ... they’ve been on and off very competitive for 40 years ... we are seeing the off part of on and off. They haven’t suddenly become Vanderbilt. They also have a good NFL legacy of QBs and more recently have produced a lot of NFL talent at OL, RB and DB. They are neither in danger of becoming irrelevant nor elite anytime soon.

Not sure you can fully write them off yet ... they’ve been on and off very competitive for 40 years ... we are seeing the off part of on and off. They haven’t suddenly become Vanderbilt. They also have a good NFL legacy of QBs and more recently have produced a lot of NFL talent at OL, RB and DB. They are neither in danger of becoming irrelevant nor elite anytime soon.

I disagree, Stanford have had so many players transfer the last couple of years that they have a long rebuilding process. Also, IrishFlorida is right as far as Stanford not getting many TOP recruits like they were getting. Their recruiting is dropping off--and you can't have that when you are rebuiLding.
But as far as Stanford being relevant in football--The only time they were relevant was from 2008 to 2017 in recent memory. They have been pretty good occasionally like with Jim Plunkett and John Elway. But I wouldn't call them relevant even back then.
Stanford is toast IMO while David Shaw is there. He did a great job but his coaching style has gone stale. But Stanford does not put football in high esteem. I doubt they would ever fire David Shaw unless he went O and 12.

I think the early signing period also hurt them. Apparent they would put off on-campus recruiting visits until the spring under the pretext of recruits needing to be cleared academically. With the early signing period, I understand that recruits were brought in for games. They can see that there is little fan interest, and the game day atmosphere is non-existent. Playing in front of an empty stadium is not as enticing.

Stanford has been fairly competitive; winning seasons and bowl games. As regards actually challenging for a NC or being in contention for one that is VERY rare. The Harbough/Luck period was a distinct departure from their history.

I don't know, I wouldn't write their epitaph just yet. They got this new RB from Portland Oregon and he's going to be the next McCaffrey.

The thing that always gets me about Stanford is how they've underachieved at the QB position. Ever since Andrew Luck set the paradigm sort of, they've recruited numerous blue-chip top-tier pro-style QBs, and yet the only real QB of note they produced outside of Luck was one of the more unheralded recruits during that span, Kevin McDougal, who was reviled by ND fans as awful and worse than Tommy Rees, but was pretty much a poor man's Luck, which explains why he did as well as he did. He was also a ND legacy who wanted to come but who we snubbed.

Of course recruiting QBs at Stanford is not as difficult as grades are not typically a problem at the QB position. Nevertheless they've recruited QBs nearly as well as anyone in the country since the start of the Harbaugh/Shaw years, and they just don't have that much to show for it, other than Luck and McDougal.

Last edited:
OF all the 'book' schools (ND, Stanford, Duke, Northwestern, etc) ND traditionally has had more overall talent. Yet we are never going to be on the level of Alabama, etc. Standford does not have the tradition or commitment we do so its at least one tier down as regards overall talent. And working to get the best staff, etc. Thus to expect them to be a real power is just plain dumb.

NOW and then the stars align and that did for Stanford for a few years. But that was all it was; a short Golden Period.

I don't know, I wouldn't write their epitaph just yet. They got this new RB from Portland Oregon and he's going to be the next McCaffrey.

The thing that always gets me about Stanford is how they've underachieved at the QB position. Ever since Andrew Luck set the paradigm sort of, they've recruited numerous blue-chip top-tier pro-style QBs, and yet the only real QB of note they produced outside of Luck was one of the more unheralded recruits during that span, Kevin McDougal, who was reviled by ND fans as awful and worse than Tommy Rees, but was pretty much a poor man's Luck, which explains why he did as well as he did. He was also a ND legacy who wanted to come but who we snubbed.

Of course recruiting QBs at Stanford is not as difficult as grades are not typically a problem at the QB position. Nevertheless they've recruited QBs nearly as well as anyone in the country since the start of the Harbaugh/Shaw years, and they just don't have that much to show for it, other than Luck and McDougal.
What has surprised me in the last few years is their dropoff on the OL.

“Kevin McDougal, who was reviled by ND fans as awful and worse than Tommy Rees,”

not trying to be argumentative, savvy, but I don’t remember that. I thought Mcdougal was generally well liked and admired by the fan base. He had a great year & minus the bad pick against BC, he was pretty flawless. I thought he was a much better player than rees. Rees did as much as he could w/ his god given abilities but he was not the player mcdougal was, imho.

“Kevin McDougal, who was reviled by ND fans as awful and worse than Tommy Rees,”

not trying to be argumentative, savvy, but I don’t remember that. I thought Mcdougal was generally well liked and admired by the fan base. He had a great year & minus the bad pick against BC, he was pretty flawless. I thought he was a much better player than rees. Rees did as much as he could w/ his god given abilities but he was not the player mcdougal was, imho.

Oh man, that was a typo! I meant Kevin Hogan. Remember that dude? He was a good QB for Stanford, I liked him a lot. And a genuine poor man's Luck. He kicked around in the NFL for a few years too. Like Luck, he was a big dude, and a good runner. He was also capable of being a highly erratic passer, definitely not as good a passer as Luck. He had kind of a busted delivery.

So not Kevin McDougal. I was talking about Stanford QBs anyway. Kevin Hogan, who was a ND legacy and we didn't offer him. And who never got any respect from ND fans that's for sure. Even for a rival player, they didn't think much of him.

Reactions: francade
Oh, and just to add, I love Kevin McDougal, he's an all-time great. That was a magical season, except for damned Boston College.

Reactions: francade
Remember when the Sewing CIrcle & the Kelly Cranks held up Stanford as the shining city on the hill?

Winning "Major Bowls", beating ND 4 out of 5 (09 to 13) Running that 2 Back, Multiple TE, NFL old fashioned power offense. What a difference 9 years makes? After Harbaugh and Luck left, Shaw briefly continued to have success through the middle of the decade winning a couple of Rose Bowls in 12 & 15.

But i cautioned at that time, Stanford would begin to go on the back slide, because the offense they ran, the style of football they played, was TOTALLY unappealing to top level HS skill players. Once the few explosive players Stanford had, were gone.(K Hogan, C McCaffrey, B Love) Stanford had absolutely had NO shot at replacing them. And the results, especially over the last 3 seasons are frankly stunning. I knew they would go backwards, but this is a far worse than i imagined. Remember In 2018, Stanford came into ND Stadium 4-0 ranked #7 and played ND who at that time was ranked #8

And for the first time in the series you could see clearly how ND & Kelly had become a much longer, faster and more athletic roster. ND easily beat Stanford 38-17 that night. And easily blew them out last year. Since that 2018 game ND is 27-3. Stanford meanwhile is 9-14.

Remember the whole Stanford theme was run the ball, eat the clock, throw seam routes off play action to the TE and 50/50 jump ball to big WR's in the Red Zone. WIth guys like McCaffrey and B Love available for the home run to keep you honest. By controlling the ball and the clock, the big, slow, unathletic, Stanford defenses would only have to pay a limited number of snaps

But the chickens have come home to roost. Players like McCaffrey and Love are not going to Stanford. With zero threat for a big play, teams are stacking the boxes and Stanford cannot run. Which means they cannot control the clock. Which means the Stanford defense is on the field for more snaps. The crowds last year shrunk right along with the win totals. The only silver lining for David Shaw, is that no one really seems to care.

RIP Stanford 2007 to 2020 it was nice knowing you.
Shaw is a good man, popular guy, and an average coach. Therefore, Stanford is screwed.

Michigan is also screwed. For slightly similar but mostly different reasons.

Can you say jumping the gun? OP could have said the same thing about ND in 2011, 2016.

Oh, and just to add, I love Kevin McDougal, he's an all-time great. That was a magical season, except for damned Boston College.
The best, of a bevvy of great things, about McDougal is that he played his best games in the biggest games.

2012 ND beat Stanford, had a 12-0 regular season and played in the BCSCG. How many 12-0 regular seasons and BCSCGs appearances has Stanford had?
How many times was the Tree blown out in a major bowl? And what does that have to do with the premise of the OP?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT