ADVERTISEMENT

So, this really was a Top 5 football team this year...

SouthFloridaIrish88

Shakes Down The Thunder
Aug 16, 2022
Sorry, but the cat is out of the bag. For all the hand wringing about the QB position, the WR room, Tommy Rees and every other excuse in the book. By ND going on the road and basically beating the balls off of 2 ranked opponents and playing #2 OSU to a virtual standstill in Columbus.

It is very clear that MF inherited a deep and talented football team, not perfect, but certainly worthy of its pre-season ranking, of the 8 opponents so far, the only opponent who has had a superior roster was Ohio State.

The CFP rankings come out this week, and for the first time, in several years ND will not be mentioned upon the contenders for a CFP spot. Why? Because this talented football team was unprepared to play against Marshall and Stanford. That is a reflection on the Head Coach and were part of the "growing pains" Jack Swarbrick mentioned when he hired a coach with no prior head coaching experience.

This is a HUGE game for Marcus Freeman, it is a litmus test to see if he is figuring out this job. Look, we have seen ND beat Syracuse before, we have seen ND go on the road and beat ranked UNC in 2020. That is shooting PAR for a program with this much talent.

This Clemson game is a must win for Marcus, if he wins ND sits at 6-3, with 2 easy wins on the schedule, assuming Marcus learned his lessons from the Marshall and Stanford embarrassment. ND at that point would walk into the LA Coliseum 8-3, nationally ranked, and play a USC team, that is softer than fresh squeezed Charmin.

The ND offense at this point is a glorified Wishbone attack, the only difference is the backs are not on the field at the same time and lined up in the bone, Other than that, it is grind away, Inside Zone, Duo, Wedge, and chuck a few balls down the field to Mayer and Co. A well-prepared ND team should go into the Coliseum and run the ball at will. Go YouTube the 1992 ND vs USC game and that is EXACTLY what this year's game should look like.

ND IMO is equal to Clemson, who also has an unsettled QB position, ND's job this week is run "The Freeman Bone" vs Clemson, give QB-1 some really easy throws, and the defense needs to create a QB controversy for Clemson again this week.

However, If ND comes up short this week, ND will be 5-4 this season, Marcus will be 5-5 as a Head Coach, and ND will have lost more football games at home this season, than they lost in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 combined. This is a HUGE game for Marcus Freeman

Sorry, but the cat is out of the bag. For all the hand wringing about the QB position, the WR room, Tommy Rees and every other excuse in the book. By ND going on the road and basically beating the balls off of 2 ranked opponents and playing #2 OSU to a virtual standstill in Columbus.

It is very clear that MF inherited a deep and talented football team, not perfect, but certainly worthy of its pre-season ranking, of the 8 opponents so far, the only opponent who has had a superior roster was Ohio State.

The CFP rankings come out this week, and for the first time, in several years ND will not be mentioned upon the contenders for a CFP spot. Why? Because this talented football team was unprepared to play against Marshall and Stanford. That is a reflection on the Head Coach and were part of the "growing pains" Jack Swarbrick mentioned when he hired a coach with no prior head coaching experience.

This is a HUGE game for Marcus Freeman, it is a litmus test to see if he is figuring out this job. Look, we have seen ND beat Syracuse before, we have seen ND go on the road and beat ranked UNC in 2020. That is shooting PAR for a program with this much talent.

This Clemson game is a must win for Marcus, if he wins ND sits at 6-3, with 2 easy wins on the schedule, assuming Marcus learned his lessons from the Marshall and Stanford embarrassment. ND at that point would walk into the LA Coliseum 8-3, nationally ranked, and play a USC team, that is softer than fresh squeezed Charmin.

The ND offense at this point is a glorified Wishbone attack, the only difference is the backs are not on the field at the same time and lined up in the bone, Other than that, it is grind away, Inside Zone, Duo, Wedge, and chuck a few balls down the field to Mayer and Co. A well-prepared ND team should go into the Coliseum and run the ball at will. Go YouTube the 1992 ND vs USC game and that is EXACTLY what this year's game should look like.

ND IMO is equal to Clemson, who also has an unsettled QB position, ND's job this week is run "The Freeman Bone" vs Clemson, give QB-1 some really easy throws, and the defense needs to create a QB controversy for Clemson again this week.

However, If ND comes up short this week, ND will be 5-4 this season, Marcus will be 5-5 as a Head Coach, and ND will have lost more football games at home this season, than they lost in 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020 and 2021 combined. This is a HUGE game for Marcus Freeman
Poon will have to be better than 9 for 19 with 1 pic when Clemson loads the box.

Stop with the must win bs.

People keep trying to make up reasons why we are 5 and 3.

I'm stating the truth when I say its because the qb
I posted on another thread here that I think we’re a top ten team this year if Pyne plays like he did against BYU and UNC. He Was accurate with his passing, made a couple plays with his legs, and had his swagger. But we’re one dimensional and easy to defend and keep from scoring when he is terribly inaccurate and tentative like he was yesterday and against Stanford. QB recruiting and talent evaluation has been terrible under Rees, which is a much bigger problem than his play calling.

I posted on another thread here that I think we’re a top ten team this year if Pyne plays like he did against BYU and UNC. He Was accurate with his passing, made a couple plays with his legs, and had his swagger. But we’re one dimensional and easy to defend and keep from scoring when he is terribly inaccurate and tentative like he was yesterday and against Stanford. QB recruiting and talent evaluation has been terrible under Rees, which is a much bigger problem than his play calling.
This is true

We should be 7 and 1 with Pyne or just an average starting qb

Most of what u say I believe is true. This is a solid football team. Not great. Solid. Two glaring exceptions tho which u don’t seem to account for - our Qb sucks. Rees sucks.
this is not all on Freeman. He has blame no question. Rees n Pyne are biggest problems

I agree this is a huge game. I don't feel confident we can beat Clemson, but anything is possible. We must force some turnovers like Syracuse did.

Disagree. If ND loses, what changes? MF still back next season. We’re still going to a marginal bowl game.

I badly want to win the rest of our games, but at this point, I’m already focusing on next season. Gotta replace 2 seniors on the OL. Need to find a QB. And perhaps will be looking for a new OC.

they gotta figure this ****ing home losing shit ojt get on a ****ing bus or stay at a ****ing hotel the night before or west a different ****ing color Jersey something has to change cuz it’s ****ing awful to lose to Marshall and Stanford and then go on the road and beat two 1 loss teams

You made excellent points. But I wouldn't term it as the cat is out of the bag, which is pejorative. You yourself noted growing pains. Well, that is it: growing pains...tied to a weak QB situation, Rees taking time to settle in power running, and, yes, Freeman learning how to actually be a head coach.

The losses to Marshall and Stanford are inexcusable. But we always knew he'd be challenged with prior HC experience. 5-3 isn't the worst case even given the bad losses. Yes, there is a serious chance of 2 more losses.

But maybe you will have another checkpoint post like this one in a few games with pleasant surprises? I'm starting to believe it might happen. ND looked solid last 2 games, a team finding its identity.

The Fighting Irish are not elite. Not top 10. For me, it's about a new coach with promise learning on the job. With solid maybe above average talent, albeit incomplete in some areas, like QB and receivers.

The handover and rebuild continue. Freeman has been handed over the reins from CBK. ND rebuilds when even in the past 2 years the game has massively changed, with near free agency available in a de facto semipro setup.

All I ask is ND play its best consistently, emphasizing power run because that is the strength. I can't ask more from the players and coaches. The rest is up to the administration, if they will adopt and adapt semipro features.

Most of what u say I believe is true. This is a solid football team. Not great. Solid. Two glaring exceptions tho which u don’t seem to account for - our Qb sucks. Rees sucks.
this is not all on Freeman. He has blame no question. Rees n Pyne are biggest problems

Not that I'm the thought police, but I think you're too harsh, even if accurate.

:)

DP is average. Rees showed in game evolution. I'm no expert, but I was frustrated when he deviated from north-south running. Even the announcers noted this.

Yet Rees eventually went back to power north-south running. It worked. Now he has a tough job, figuring out what to do with limited means when this gets stuffed...which I suspect it might against Clemson.

If the team plays consistently like this through the season, I'd say it's a solid start. Giving Freeman a chance to develop and evolve into his ceiling. I like to think his ceiling is high, as his charisma might attract top talent, which remains the gap for ND...although like I keep bringing up, a lot of this depends on the administration and academic accommodation, NIL, and transfers.

Fingers crossed. It's been a tough season. Sometimes I thrown in the towel Sometimes like yesterday I have renewed hope.

We’ve got Very good/elite talent in a lot of positions and Cal Polys QB.

And this is a huge game why? Nothing changes one way or the other. He's not going to lose his job over the Clemson game. He gets a minimum of three years. Some of the clowns on this board are already drooling to see whom would replace him.

This season is just a starting point for MF. Nothing more; nothing less. ND is going to a lower-tier bowl game and that's it for this year.

Reactions: IrishMike409
And this is a huge game why? Nothing changes one way or the other. He's not going to lose his job over the Clemson game. He gets a minimum of three years. Some of the clowns on this board are already drooling to see whom would replace him.

This season is just a starting point for MF. Nothing more; nothing less. ND is going to a lower-tier bowl game and that's it for this year.
not lower tier: 2nd tier

This is a massive game for this year and recruiting and the perception of MF and the program

Nonsense.

The reality is, BK built a culture of playing DOWN to the competition. This is why ND has never been able to put away an inferior team, and has struggled against the Tulsa's, Toledo's, USF's, etc.

This is going to take time for Freeman to change. The Clemson game is not as important as you make it seem. Sure a win would definitely boost Freeman's stock, but any loss isn't going to define his coaching tenure.in his first year.

Not that I'm the thought police, but I think you're too harsh, even if accurate.

:)

DP is average. Rees showed in game evolution. I'm no expert, but I was frustrated when he deviated from north-south running. Even the announcers noted this.

Yet Rees eventually went back to power north-south running. It worked. Now he has a tough job, figuring out what to do with limited means when this gets stuffed...which I suspect it might against Clemson.

If the team plays consistently like this through the season, I'd say it's a solid start. Giving Freeman a chance to develop and evolve into his ceiling. I like to think his ceiling is high, as his charisma might attract top talent, which remains the gap for ND...although like I keep bringing up, a lot of this depends on the administration and academic accommodation, NIL, and transfers.

Fingers crossed. It's been a tough season. Sometimes I thrown in the towel Sometimes like yesterday I have renewed hope.
U r correct. The run will likely be limited if not snuffed out vs Clemson. The reason is two fold. 1- Clemson has great D line. 2- Clemson will stuff box n make Pyne beat them

Pyne attends the Brandon wimbush school of accuracy. You imply he is decent. I say he is at the bottom 15 per cent if div 1 qbs. That will never get the job done.

Reactions: banmate6 and NDinNJ
they gotta figure this ****ing home losing shit ojt get on a ****ing bus or stay at a ****ing hotel the night before or west a different ****ing color Jersey something has to change cuz it’s ****ing awful to lose to Marshall and Stanford and then go on the road and beat two 1 loss teams
You mean like we stay off campus at a hotel since Holtz?

Sort of a difficult question. Talent wise the team is at least top ten, probably top five. Performance wise top fifteen?

Or hell if that’s what we’re been doing all year then let them sleep in their damn dorms because they certainly don’t play even the worst teams on the schedule and in the country at home whatever they are doing wrong is some thing that they do every week they are home

Talent wise I would say this team is top 20 in aggregate. Our LB, WR are all bottom end of the top 25. Our RB's are probably top 20, our OL is top 10, but didnt play like that through the first 3 games.

Our DL is top 15, our secondary is probably top 15. Our ST's are outside of the top 25 with the kicker and the returners. Our QB, well, we all know where he is.

I just don't really see a ton of top 10 here in skills outside of 3 players. If you merged ND with OSU, Bama or UGA who would you take off this team? Mayer, Alt and Patterson are probably the only 3. Foskey as of late is maybe top 10. Those are really the only players on this roster that are top talent at this point. IMHO. Now, we have a very talented Frosh and Soph class but we have not really seen much of junior, sneed, Tobias and a few others.

Talent wise I would say this team is top 20 in aggregate. Our LB, WR are all bottom end of the top 25. Our RB's are probably top 20, our OL is top 10, but didnt play like that through the first 3 games.

Our DL is top 15, our secondary is probably top 15. Our ST's are outside of the top 25 with the kicker and the returners. Our QB, well, we all know where he is.

I just don't really see a ton of top 10 here in skills outside of 3 players. If you merged ND with OSU, Bama or UGA who would you take off this team? Mayer, Alt and Patterson are probably the only 3. Foskey as of late is maybe top 10. Those are really the only players on this roster that are top talent at this point. IMHO. Now, we have a very talented Frosh and Soph class but we have not really seen much of junior, sneed, Tobias and a few others.
angeli

The reality is, BK built a culture of playing DOWN to the competition. This is why ND has never been able to put away an inferior team, and has struggled against the Tulsa's, Toledo's, USF's, etc.

This is going to take time for Freeman to change. The Clemson game is not as important as you make it seem. Sure a win would definitely boost Freeman's stock, but any loss isn't going to define his coaching tenure.in his first year.
Still blaming BK for your misery?

That is sheer genius, Brian Kelly ended his time at ND with a 59-game winning streak versus unranked opponents. That streak came to end when ND lost to Marshall and Stanford. BTW Marshall was dragged by Coastal Carolina, and Stanford was obliterated by UCLA yesterday.

Blaming Brian Kelly and Drew Pyne for losing to Marshall and Stanford makes about as much sense, as the rest of the useless drivel you post.

That is sheer genius, Brian Kelly ended his time at ND with a 59-game winning streak versus unranked opponents. That streak came to end when ND lost to Marshall and Stanford. BTW Marshall was dragged by Coastal Carolina, and Stanford was obliterated by UCLA yesterday.

Blaming Brian Kelly and Drew Pyne for losing to Marshall and Stanford makes about as much sense, as the rest of the useless drivel you post.
This is an inaccurate statement

Fake news

Reactions: NDinNJ

we have an at home issue. either freeman is making the kids do to much at home on Gameday or is to distracted with recruiting to get ready for the games. We look great away. address this issue and you essentially address the problem. there is no chance the team that led Ohio State at half, beat BYU, North Carolina, and Syracuse would lose to Marshall and Stanford on the road. Something is very very wrong at home.

Stop with the must win bs.
I know you think you are cute and clever with your once sentence replies. But you seem like an unlikable d-bag.

So, when I am looking for permission to express my opinion from an unlikeable d-bag. I will reach out to either you or Bryan Driskell. Until then, you can pucker up and smooch my rear end.

I know you think you are cute and clever with your once sentence replies. But you seem like an unlikable d-bag.

So, when I am looking for permission to express my opinion from an unlikeable d-bag. I will reach out to either you or Bryan Driskell. Until then, you can pucker up and smooch my rear end.

Well, if it is a must win, then I would guess he'll be fired after the game because I don't think ND has the horses to beat Clemson.

I'd say this team's offense resembles less a glorified wishbone than it does Ohio State circa 1973-74 when it was run Archie Griffin between the tackles and avoid passing because we all know only three things can happen when you pass and two of them are bad.

Once a putz always a putz. Must win 😂😂😂😂

This is a massive game for this year and recruiting and the perception of MF and the program
I think you and SouthFlorida are 2 of the best posters here, but I’ll go out on a limb and challenge both of your points:

If we win Saturday, this is still a 3 or 4 loss, under-achieving team for 2022. If we lose, it validates what we all still think…..ND is not in the elite tier yet.

I’ll enjoy every minute of every game this year, and I’ll root my ass off, but at this point, I’m more focused on next season: What’s the pathway to 11 wins? Can we win at home vs tOSU? Who’s our QB? Will the OL be dominant? Who’s going to be the OC?

I think you and SouthFlorida are 2 of the best posters here, but I’ll go out on a limb and challenge both of your points:

If we win Saturday, this is still a 3 or 4 loss, under-achieving team for 2022. If we lose, it validates what we all still think…..ND is not in the elite tier yet.

I’ll enjoy every minute of every game this year, and I’ll root my ass off, but at this point, I’m more focused on next season: What’s the pathway to 11 wins? Can we win at home vs tOSU? Who’s our QB? Will the OL be dominant? Who’s going to be the OC?
1. It gives you a chance at 9 wins and a NY6 Bowl game still or upper tier bowl outside of NY6

2. It would be the 2nd or 3rd best win of the BK and MF eras. How many top 5 wins have we had? Not many. This is rare and would be a big win

3. It would silence a lot of MF critics and prove the program is going in the right direction. Beating Dabo as a first yr coach with DP as your qb is a statement

4. Recruiting. Recruiting. Recruiting. We have a ton of 23 and 24 commits n prospects at this game. We need to keep our current class and add to it. This is massive game for Recruiting

This is a massive game for the program. This year and the future

ADVERTISEMENT