ADVERTISEMENT

Aaron Judge

What's your stance on Gaylord Perry's blatant cheating and basically mocking the game by doing it in every game he pitched ?

Yes, Gaylord Perry was apparently a cheat, but I am not sure he actually cheated as much as you think he might have. Perry said a lot of things about doctoring up the baseball, but he also said much of that was a psychology trick to toy with a batter's mind. I haven't read his book so I don't know what he said in it. I personally saw him pitch a few times. He fidgeted a lot and wiped his hair, his hat and glove in order to make the batter think he was loading up the ball, but a lot of that was just part of an act. I once tried using vaseline on a baseball (messing around playing catch, never in a game) to see what it did to a ball, and I didn't think it did much. But I was a novice and Perry was a master at it.

I've read accounts from umpires who said they watched Perry like a hawk and yet were never able to catch him doctoring up a baseball. Believe me, they tried. I have no doubt Perry greased up baseballs from time to time, I just have doubts he did it as often as some might think. He was only thrown out of a game once (in a long career) for greasing up the ball.

Perry got inducted into the HOF in 1991, before the steroids era. Maybe voters might have felt differently about his induction had his name come up after the PED scandal. Who knows. For a long time cheating to get an edge (greasing up the ball, stealing catcher's signals, stealing signs from the third base coach) was considered part of the game, but the PED scandal, and more recently the Houston Astros using cameras to steal signs, has probably changed people's attitudes about that.

Reactions: DieHard_Irish
IMO the single season non steroid leader is still Ruth. He did it in 154 games, the length of the season at the time. Maris and Judge needed the 162-game season to do it. If the season had ended at 154, they would not have made it.
I don’t count anything when segregation ruled the day.

Reactions: rgc7
No, you are just flat out wrong. Aside from faster recovery times, steroids increase muscle mass. Putting on muscle mass helps increase bat speed. Increased bat speed means a hit ball will travel farther. Balls that are going to the warning track (or otherwise staying in the park) are now leaving the ballpark. It is simple physics. I agree that Bonds hand/eye coordination was elite without PEDs, but to argue PEDs didn't help him hit more home runs is just foolhardy. The evidence is there whether his apologists want to deny it or not.
Spot on. Roids helps the player recover. The recovery cannot be underestimated. Same reason the older players were taking the greenies. Some players said it made their eyes more focused.
I think Bonds saw a player like Brady Anderson hit 50 dingers. F it I’ll join the party. Too bad because a great player without.

Humans evolving isn't opinion.
No one even comes close to Ty Cobb as a pure hitter. Cobb was a little before my time as were
Ruth and Gehrig. However,I did see Joe DiMaggio,
the best all around player I ever saw, Ted Willians
the best hitter,Stan the man, mel Ott , yogi, bill Dickey, Mickey, Willy, and the Duke, whitey Ford,
And so many other greats. Less teams and a much
higher quality of player, no juiced up baseballs either.

No one even comes close to Ty Cobb as a pure hitter. Cobb was a little before my time as were
Ruth and Gehrig. However,I did see Joe DiMaggio,
the best all around player I ever saw, Ted Willians
the best hitter,Stan the man, mel Ott , yogi, bill Dickey, Mickey, Willy, and the Duke, whitey Ford,
And so many other greats. Less teams and a much
higher quality of player, no juiced up baseballs either.
Lol funny

ADVERTISEMENT