ADVERTISEMENT

Rees as OC

TBone138

Irish Insider
Sep 14, 2014
I for one would like ND to find someone that would bring more experience and more buzz to the program. My question however is what would you need to see in the Bowl Game to at least make you open to the idea of Rees taking control of the offense?

I haven't heard anything new either. Just curious what it would take for people to consider it a move in the right direction.

By some accounts Rees was more actively involved in the game planning and the play calling since the Michigan mess.

I for one would like ND to find someone that would bring more experience and more buzz to the program. My question however is what would you need to see in the Bowl Game to at least make you open to the idea of Rees taking control of the offense?

Kelly was able to hire Long when he was highly in demand.
Same with Sanford.

Kelly can hire a high-profile OC fairly easily, if that's the path that he chooses to go.

Rees will be a puppet to BK, no great OC will come to ND under BK

More from Mr. Sunshine. And just so wrong. BK has brought several very good coaches in recently including Long so, uh, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Merry Christmas Scrooge.

I imagine Rees as OC will be very similar to Rees as QB.

It'll look good against average to below average opponents and like crap against above average opponents.

I imagine Rees as OC will be very similar to Rees as QB.

It'll look good against average to below average opponents and like crap against above average opponents.
How in the world does that correlate ? The vast majority of successful coaches were quite the opposite as players. Holtz, Saban, Dabo to name a few.

Beating ISU by at least three touchdowns, 200 yards rushing excluding the quarterback, greater use of the tight ends in the seams, more Crossing routes, let's predictability. For example 3rd and 1/2 yard, instead of running the tail back from the shotgun position, maybe a little bit of picture out to the tail back, there are so many things you could do on 3rd and short especially if you're on their side of the 50-yard line that don't involve running the tail back up the middle which is so predictable. If you want thing if we had a great offensive line, in a heavy-duty tailback, but we don't have the luxury because we don't recruit those types of tailbacks. That's why I think taking only one tail back this year was a mistake but I understand in the long run Tyree if he stays healthy can be a game-changer for at least his sophomore and junior year, because if he's any good after his freshman year, he's going to forgo his senior year.

Since Quinn was his OC at Grand Valley, Central Michigan, and Cincinnati, I would expect BK to lean heavily on his experience Saturday. Who calls the plays I don't know. It will be interesting to see though. I got the impression Chip went all VanGorder on his offensive coaches and players. Communication completely broke down on the offensive side of the ball. Kelly did say that after the Michigan game TR did develop his voice and contributed heavily after that mess at Michigan. Book began playing better after Long began taking a back seat over the last five games.

How do you know? Maybe thats why he didn't get along with BK? Maybe he didn't have enough control of the offense because bk was meddling in it all the time.
Way to many “maybes” in your post.

Chip had 100% control of the offense. Kelly showed him the door.

More from Mr. Sunshine. And just so wrong. BK has brought several very good coaches in recently including Long so, uh, wrong, wrong, wrong.

Merry Christmas Scrooge.
What you talkin bout Willis?

Long was such the amazing and highly sought after coach after just ONE season of being an offensive coordinator at Memphis in 2016...?????

That is what's so wrong.

This subject comes up every two days and everyone's Christmas list is some "experienced" coordinator....

Well three things about that. If they're experienced it might not be good experience. And if exceptional they will be getting hammered for head coaching positions why on earth would they want to make a lateral career move?

Lastly and most importantly....Brian Kelly is very much still involved with the QB/offense that any coordinator worth a great deal on offense wouldn't want to come here and be a puppet.

Is the new potential OC going to have free reign and do what they'd like with the offense all on their own? You know the answer to that and that's a huge problem. 10 years of stale QB play or regression with one constant theme. Brian Kelly's involvement with said position.

What you talkin bout Willis?

Long was such the amazing and highly sought after coach after just ONE season of being an offensive coordinator at Memphis in 2016...?????

That is what's so wrong.

This subject comes up every two days and everyone's Christmas list is some "experienced" coordinator....

Well three things about that. If they're experienced it might not be good experience. And if exceptional they will be getting hammered for head coaching positions why on earth would they want to make a lateral career move?

Lastly and most importantly....Brian Kelly is very much still involved with the QB/offense that any coordinator worth a great deal on offense wouldn't want to come here and be a puppet.

Is the new potential OC going to have free reign and do what they'd like with the offense all on their own? You know the answer to that and that's a huge problem. 10 years of stale QB play or regression with one constant theme. Brian Kelly's involvement with said position.

Yes, Long was HIGHLY sought after when we hired him.

Which proves your whole post WRONG!

Nice work......lol

Geezuz …. echo loves BK and all things BK loves …. so echo loves Rees

Rees was gifted his scholarship to ND …… given a throwaway scholarship …. he didn't deserve it but his connections got him in ….. then BK red carpeted his playing time and his hiring to position he had no experience for ….. the position he is qualified for is grad asst

His entire body of work is Ian Book who has not improved and likely regressed …. so let's make him the OC now? ….. if BK loves him echo will beat the drum for him too …. what a joke

Reactions: chitown sot
Called a lot of audibles as a player. SBT column alluded to the things I brought up.

Maybe you should quote the ESPN article that rated Ian Book as the 35th best QB out of all bowl teams … you know Book …. the guy that Rees is responsible for

Maybe there is another grad asst at Northwestern ND can hire ..... LOL!

Yes, Long was HIGHLY sought after when we hired him.

Which proves your whole post WRONG!

Nice work......lol
He had one year as coordinator of Memphis.

One.

Yep just one.

He was not some mega hot commodity...certainly not by the elite.

We got what we paid for. A stale offense that wilts and goes in the fetal position in the biggest of moments.

Regardless yet again you conveniently skip right over the part of Brian Kelly's involvement with the offense for a decade.
Results speak for themselves. Beat up on the weak and score with ease...struggle to get a first down against the strong.

Who's fault is it. Long? Brian Kelly? Brian Kelly through long?
No matter how you slice it the offense against the toughest competition is anemic at best and zombified at worst.

The results are documented. Games recorded. You care to dispute what has already happened? :cool:

Reactions: chitown sot
Just hope Rees is a way better coach than he was a player. They say shitty players many times end up being good coaches - sure as heck that is the case w Rees as well.

Just hope Rees is a way better coach than he was a player. They say shitty players many times end up being good coaches - sure as heck that is the case w Rees as well.
I think he will be a good coach...one day. I think if Kelly makes him an OC with zero experience it will be a colossal mistake.

Since Quinn was his OC at Grand Valley, Central Michigan, and Cincinnati, I would expect BK to lean heavily on his experience Saturday. Who calls the plays I don't know. It will be interesting to see though. I got the impression Chip went all VanGorder on his offensive coaches and players. Communication completely broke down on the offensive side of the ball. Kelly did say that after the Michigan game TR did develop his voice and contributed heavily after that mess at Michigan. Book began playing better after Long began taking a back seat over the last five games.
That or Book got much better because of the very weak competition the last half of the season.

Rees was way way better as a player than you're giving him credit for. One of NDs all time passing leaders.

Reactions: 88ND
You can only play the opponents in front of you.
Agreed, but it has he really progressed that much, or was it the result of the opponents in front of him? We might not find out until he goes to Green Bay.

Rees was way way better as a player than you're giving him credit for. One of NDs all time passing leaders.
Rees reminds me a lot of Book. Not necessarily his style of play, but just playing way above their abilities and being just I guess reliable. Rees and Book seem to have a very close connection. I sure hope that doesn't blind Rees to play the best player though.

IF Phil was better than Book I feel BK would step in and straighten things out. What I see is Crist 2.0 being played out among the fans. They want PJ to be better because they perceive him to be better than Book. I find it amusing myself. Everybody thinks that the coaches are holding PJ back and I don't buy it. PJ must win it on the practice field and not on some message board. PJ stand up and prove you're the better QB like Montana did in 1977.

Last edited:
IF Phil was better than Book I feel BK would step in and straighten things out. What I see is Crist 2.0 being played out among the fans. They want PJ to be better because they perceive him to be better than Book. I find it amusing myself. Everybody thinks that the coaches are holding PJ back and I don't by it. PJ must win it on the practice field and not on some message board. PJ stand up and prove you're the better QB.
I'm not crowning PJ better, but I don't think he's been given much of a chance. Even when the game is in hand all he's relegated to is handing it off the last quarter of the game. The VERY limited times he has been given the chance to throw he's done well. When a defense knows that he's not allowed to throw and just hand off it's pretty easy to defend against it. I just believe that he came in with a MUCH higher ceiling then Book has. Again, there's a reason that Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, among many others offered him. So either it was a terrible scouting job by all of them, were not giving him a shot, or we haven't developed him well.

He had one year as coordinator of Memphis.

One.

Yep just one.

He was not some mega hot commodity...certainly not by the elite.

We got what we paid for. A stale offense that wilts and goes in the fetal position in the biggest of moments.

Regardless yet again you conveniently skip right over the part of Brian Kelly's involvement with the offense for a decade.
Results speak for themselves. Beat up on the weak and score with ease...struggle to get a first down against the strong.

Who's fault is it. Long? Brian Kelly? Brian Kelly through long?
No matter how you slice it the offense against the toughest competition is anemic at best and zombified at worst.

The results are documented. Games recorded. You care to dispute what has already happened? :cool:

Long was hotly pursued...by the elite.

ND landed him...and the result was 11 wins per season.

So.........

Lol @ your stupidity.

Rees will probably be a very good coach, as he gains experience and evolves.
Whether he is ready to be an OC, after just a few brief seasons is debatable.
But, both BK and Quinn are there to mentor him. He might be the next Lincoln Riley or the next Chip Long! Kelly’s dilemma is if he names Rees as OC and he is not ready, then what? Does he take the heat or is Rees another run over by the ‘bus’.

Long was hotly pursued...by the elite.

ND landed him...and the result was 11 wins per season.

So.........

Lol @ your stupidity.
Another childish post.

Top teams weren't lining up in droves to land a 33 year old coach with ONE year coordinator experience. He was the coordinator for Memphis exactly one whole year. That was the extent of his coordinator duties.

The fact remains you insist on IGNORING the poor personnel decisions, anemic offense against top competition and so on.

Brian Kelly has his fingerprints all over the offense and in particular the QB position for the past decade. Not so on the defensive side of the ball.

Think it's some coincidence the defense (minus the Brian Van Gorder stint) has been the much better unit compared to the offense over the prior decade? It's not a coincidence I promise you!!

Until BK keeps his nose and all ten digits out of the offense it doesn't matter who he brings in.

It's pretty sad you take criticism of Brian Kelly in such a personal manner.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT