ADVERTISEMENT

Rees as OC

Another childish post.

Top teams weren't lining up in droves to land a 33 year old coach with ONE year coordinator experience. He was the coordinator for Memphis exactly one whole year. That was the extent of his coordinator duties.

The fact remains you insist on IGNORING the poor personnel decisions, anemic offense against top competition and so on.

Brian Kelly has his fingerprints all over the offense and in particular the QB position for the past decade. Not so on the defensive side of the ball.

Think it's some coincidence the defense (minus the Brian Van Gorder stint) has been the much better unit compared to the offense over the prior decade? It's not a coincidence I promise you!!

Until BK keeps his nose and all ten digits out of the offense it doesn't matter who he brings in.

It's pretty sad you take criticism of Brian Kelly in such a personal manner.
And its pretty sad you take people posting positive things about him so personally. Works both ways

Reactions: Irishjohn68
We need to throw big $ at a big name. No more bs. These kids need to be challenged, pushed like they’ve never been pushed to see growth. They deserve to be challenged and to reach their potential.

IF Phil was better than Book I feel BK would step in and straighten things out. What I see is Crist 2.0 being played out among the fans. They want PJ to be better because they perceive him to be better than Book. I find it amusing myself. Everybody thinks that the coaches are holding PJ back and I don't by it. PJ must win it on the practice field and not on some message board. PJ stand up and prove you're the better QB like Montana did in 1977.
Selective amnesia? First of all using Montana as example is absurd. That was an entirely different coach/staff and Montana I'm sure won the job. That's how good coaches do it.

On the other hand you're using selective amnesia here and extending Brian Kelly way too much credit. I'm the one that told the damn board Book would be starting by week 3 last year. One response was "if Book was better he'd show it and BK would play him. Book is clearly a backup." I was off by one week. In any event it took Brian Kelly 17 starts of Wimbush to realize he was killing the offense.

Let's review just how ridiculous Mr. BK is at evaluating personnel.

Book subs for an injured Wimbush against Carolina. What did you see? I'll tell you what I seen....receivers with a spring in their step as they knew they'll get a chance at a much more catchable football. Remember the brat St. Brown? He wore his emotions on his sleeve more than the others and you could see an immediate positive vibe in him....it was significant because to that point he was pouting every damn game. That wasn't enough to keep Book playing going forward...
Then comes the LSU game. We can't do anything on offense. Stuck in mud. Book comes in and what do you know...we move the ball, score points, win the game.
Wait...just you wait sir....it still wasn't enough to recognize the offense was better with Book. Or at the very least withOUT Wimbush taking snaps. Still not enough that BK insists on starting Wimbush THREE MORE times into 2018 until finally even a blind man reads the writing on the wall if it's big enough.

I've no idea where you get this notion that Brian Kelly will do any of the right things regarding the QB position. It's been a decade and he's yet to develop one and or play the right ones with conviction.

I'm not crowning PJ better, but I don't think he's been given much of a chance. Even when the game is in hand all he's relegated to is handing it off the last quarter of the game. The VERY limited times he has been given the chance to throw he's done well. When a defense knows that he's not allowed to throw and just hand off it's pretty easy to defend against it. I just believe that he came in with a MUCH higher ceiling then Book has. Again, there's a reason that Ohio State, Clemson, Alabama, among many others offered him. So either it was a terrible scouting job by all of them, were not giving him a shot, or we haven't developed him well.

Don't tell @Ara64 that....he believes BK is the end all be all amid the QB world. All the elite programs bumped their head offering Phil and they just happen to have good QB play by osmosis.

Brian Kelly knows better especially when it comes to the QB position.

The reality is this...

Brian Kelly has no damn idea what he's doing with the QB position yet he insists on being heavily involved with....the QB position. Given the fact it's the most important position on the team spells disaster. I don't mean to indicate disaster going 10-2 but when the competition is at it's toughest and we need to ride the damn QB to a victory....we got nothing. 10 years and not once catching lightning in the bottle with the QB spot. There's definitely a reason for that and it's got nothing to do with admissions or any other moral victory excuses.

Selective amnesia? First of all using Montana as example is absurd. That was an entirely different coach/staff and Montana I'm sure won the job. That's how good coaches do it.

On the other hand you're using selective amnesia here and extending Brian Kelly way too much credit. I'm the one that told the damn board Book would be starting by week 3 last year. One response was "if Book was better he'd show it and BK would play him. Book is clearly a backup." I was off by one week. In any event it took Brian Kelly 17 starts of Wimbush to realize he was killing the offense.

Book subs for an injured Wimbush against Carolina. What did you see? I'll tell you what I seen....receivers with a spring in their step as they knew they'll get a chance at a much more catchable football. Remember the brat St. Brown? He wore his emotions on his sleeve more than the others and you could see an immediate positive vibe in him....it was significant because to that point he was pouting every damn game. That wasn't enough to keep Book playing going forward...
Then comes the LSU game. We can't do anything on offense. Stuck in mud. Book comes in and what do you know...we move the ball, score points, win the game.
Wait...just you wait sir....it still wasn't enough to recognize the offense was better with Book. Or at the very least withOUT Wimbush taking snaps. Still not enough that BK insists on starting Wimbush THREE MORE times into 2018 until finally even a blind man reads the writing on the wall if it's big enough.

I've no idea where you get this notion that Brian Kelly will do any of the right things regarding the QB position. It's been a decade and he's yet to develop one and or play the right ones with conviction.

Don't tell @Ara64 that....he believes BK is the end all be all amid the QB world. All the elite programs bumped their head offering Phil and they just happen to have good QB play by osmosis.

The reality is this...

Brian Kelly has no damn idea what he's doing with the QB position yet he insists on being heavily involved with....the QB position. Given the fact it's the most important position on the team spells disaster. I don't mean to indicate disaster going 10-2 but when the competition is at it's toughest and we need to ride the damn QB to a victory....we got nothing. 10 years and not once catching lightning in the bottle with the QB spot. There's definitely a reason for that and it's got nothing to do with admissions or any other moral victory excuses.
Ouch!

I imagine Rees as OC will be very similar to Rees as QB.

It'll look good against average to below average opponents and like crap against above average opponents.

"It'll look good against average to below average opponents and like crap against above average opponents."

How do the 2 correlate? I bet Rees, as a player and a coach (and yet, he is still in his 20's), has forgotten more football than you may ever know in your lifetime ...

Reactions: Leahylads
We need to throw big $ at a big name. No more bs. These kids need to be challenged, pushed like they’ve never been pushed to see growth. They deserve to be challenged and to reach their potential.
for what it's worth Yurcich going to Texas for three years and 5.1 million.

I've been saying this for a while and this statement brings it one step closer to reality. Kelly just came out and said Rees will be calling the plays at the bowl game. If we win everyone will be celebrating Rees' greatness and he will be named the next coordinator. However, I think that would be a clossal mistake. I'm sure Rees will be a fine coach...one day. But ND is not the place to get on the job training and it's going to hurt us across the board on offense. I hope to God I'm wrong but I don't believe I will be.

Last edited:
Geezuz …. echo loves BK and all things BK loves …. so echo loves Rees

Rees was gifted his scholarship to ND …… given a throwaway scholarship …. he didn't deserve it but his connections got him in ….. then BK red carpeted his playing time and his hiring to position he had no experience for ….. the position he is qualified for is grad asst

His entire body of work is Ian Book who has not improved and likely regressed …. so let's make him the OC now? ….. if BK loves him echo will beat the drum for him too …. what a joke

ECHOOOOOOOO! it's so nice to see in the season of giving that echo knows that if he gets tossed from his home he can reside with you. Seeing that he lives in your head 24/7!!!! Make sure you get him a nice flat screen for the bowl games!!! Your life doesn't suck to bad does it! Trolling a poster who has you on ignore and has had you ignored for months. Still nice to see that you have a huge hard on for Rees. Things never change right dickhead. I bet you still have a hard on for Brey, Kelly, Swarbrick and all other ND people.

ECHOOOOOOOO! it's so nice to see in the season of giving that echo knows that if he gets tossed from his home he can reside with you. Seeing that he lives in your head 24/7!!!! Make sure you get him a nice flat screen for the bowl games!!! Your life doesn't suck to bad does it! Trolling a poster who has you on ignore and has had you ignored for months. Still nice to see that you have a huge hard on for Rees. Things never change right dickhead. I bet you still have a hard on for Brey, Kelly, Swarbrick and all other ND people.
is he really ? sad.

Reactions: Pennick4
Ugh. Tomorrow will be interesting. If the offense shows a big improvement I’ll be happy about it. However, I’m not so sure Iowa States defense is the toughest training ground for anyone. Rees being anointed a savior of the offense against a Big 12 defense sounds like a bad omen.

Maybe BK likes that he can cuss at him when he makes boneheaded calls like he did when he was behind center no long ago.

Ugh. Tomorrow will be interesting. If the offense shows a big improvement I’ll be happy about it. However, I’m not so sure Iowa States defense is the toughest training ground for anyone. Rees being anointed a savior of the offense against a Big 12 defense sounds like a bad omen.
who anointed him ? the OC left the program. someone has to call the plays. i highly doubt that what transpires tomorrow offensively good or bad will have much of an impact if any on who the next OC will be at Notre Dame.

who anointed him ? the OC left the program. someone has to call the plays. i highly doubt that what transpires tomorrow offensively good or bad will have much of an impact if any on who the next OC will be at Notre Dame.
Probably not at ND, but here it will be utopia or hades! I still believe that Rees will be named OC shortly after the bowl game.

you may very well be correct. if thats the case i'll certainly support him or whoever else it may be.
I'm sure Rees will be a fine OC, after a few years of experience and growing pains. I guess we're on the perpetual three year plan lol.

ND has to win this game or making Rees OC will bring out the pitchforks. Can you imagine if we lose and BK announces Rees as OC? I sure hope we win by 50 and Rees looks like the greatest coach in the history of football.

who knows ? maybe he's a natural and will kill it right away. time will tell.
I'm pessimistic about hiring a oc with zero experience. I think it too big of a jump. No one would be more happier about being wrong though.

the constant reference back to the UM game, that since then TR was more involved is absolute bullshit!
Every coach is in the meetings when game plans are formulated. That includes the Head Coach! The OC is one of the staff, he is not the DICTATOR! The plan was surely a staff involved plan. No one can point a finger or claim, ‘not my job’!
Laying that debacle on Long is bullshit and using the fact he is gone, to make him the scapegoat! A pattern.

Last time we brought in outsiders instead of promoting from within it worked pretty well. Now is an odd time to abandon progress. Is Rees really that good? I don’t recall greater than average leadership when he played here. I guess tomorrow will tell. I wonder if we look identical to Chips offense.

Last time we brought in outsiders instead of promoting from within it worked pretty well. Now is an odd time to abandon progress. Is Rees really that good? I don’t recall greater than average leadership when he played here. I guess tomorrow will tell. I wonder if we look identical to Chips offense.
I doubt Kelly will allow Rees to rewrite the playbook..yet. As far as his leadership skills I have no clue. All I know is he's never been an OC and I think it's too big of a jump and can almost guarantee learning curve growing pains.

the constant reference back to the UM game, that since then TR was more involved is absolute bullshit!
Every coach is in the meetings when game plans are formulated. That includes the Head Coach! The OC is one of the staff, he is not the DICTATOR! The plan was surely a staff involved plan. No one can point a finger or claim, ‘not my job’!
Laying that debacle on Long is bullshit and using the fact he is gone, to make him the scapegoat! A pattern.
Just curious perse?
How many meetings with coaches and game planning have you been involved with?

Nice you came back just in time to spread your holiday hate … just for me? .... how thoughtful …. I'll sleep a little more contently knowing that after all this time I'm still in your head. :)

starting with a B12 team from a conference that does not play defense is a kinda ‘stacked deck’ of an audition!

Nice you came back just in time to spread your holiday hate … just for me? .... how thoughtful …. I'll sleep a little more contently knowing that after all this time I'm still in your head. :)
And everything I said is 100% spot on. I havent posted in like 7 months....last time I posted you were trolling both FAarley and Echo. What other poster on this site constantly trolls other posters who they know have them on ignore. ONLY YOU! Cuz you are a freaking psycho. And I know I am spot on about your hard on for other ND coaches. I bet I can go back 5 months and find posts were you buried Brey, Kelly, and the AD! You wanna make that bet? Just think loser...next Wednesday you can begin your 3rd decade of being the most hated poster on this website. And it isn't close for 2nd! ECCCCCCCCCHOOOOOO lives full time in that head!

Reactions: echowaker
Geezuz …. echo loves BK and all things BK loves …. so echo loves Rees

Rees was gifted his scholarship to ND …… given a throwaway scholarship …. he didn't deserve it but his connections got him in ….. then BK red carpeted his playing time and his hiring to position he had no experience for ….. the position he is qualified for is grad asst

His entire body of work is Ian Book who has not improved and likely regressed …. so let's make him the OC now? ….. if BK loves him echo will beat the drum for him too …. what a joke

I'm not going to argue whether Rees should be offensive coordinator or not and I'm not going to argue whether he deserved his scholarship or not. I will argue, though, that he certainly earned it. From being thrown into an impossible situation as a freshman when when Crist was injured to taking over when Crist imploded in 2011, bailing out Everett Golson two or three times in 2012, and then being available in 2013 after Golson was expelled, Rees was the only option we had, and he gave it everything he had. He doesn't deserve to have you shit all over him.

None of us knows how they conduct their meetings or the extent to which position coaches influence the game plan under Long, or any other OC for that matter. From various and multiple accounts, Long was exceedingly abrasive to coaches and players alike, and discord reached a peak leading up to the Michigan game. I suspect, but don’t know, that after the Michigan game, Kelly and Long reached an understanding that Long would be leaving at the end of the regular season. The suggestion that Rees had more input from that point on makes a lot of sense, and it was pretty obvious that Book played with more abandon and his running was part of the offense, where both were missing before.

I imagine Rees as OC will be very similar to Rees as QB.

It'll look good against average to below average opponents and like crap against above average opponents.
At the end of the day all any player has is the numbers. For an average QB his numbers are darn impressive. He was 23-8 as a starting QB. Here's the record of some notable big names coming out of high school: five star world better Dayne Crist 4-6; all world Jimmy Clausen 16-18; Brady Quinn 29-17; Holiday 15-9; Powlos 29-16-1; Beuerlein 21-17; and Keil 18-9-2. Not bad for a crappy player.

Passing Stats
Year
School Conf Class Pos G Cmp Att Pct Yds Y/A AY/A TD Int Rate
Notre Dame Ind FR QB 9 100 164 61.0 1106 6.7 6.0 12 8 132.0
*2011 Notre Dame Ind SO QB 13 269 411 65.5 2871 7.0 6.4 20 14 133.4
*2012 Notre Dame Ind JR QB 12 34 59 57.6 436 7.4 6.5 2 2 124.1
*2013 Notre Dame Ind SR QB 13 224 414 54.1 3257 7.9 7.8 27 13 135.4
Career ND 627 1,048 59.8 7670 7.3 6.9 61 37 133.5
Nice numbers for mediocre QB that most show nothing but contempt for.

Rees place in the ND record book.
https://und.com/roster/tommy-rees/
He sure accomplished a lot for a guy who didn't belong at ND by some very vocal fans.
I can't remember a player who accomplished more with less than TR in 55 years of following ND Football. I'll steal a line from the movie Rudy... I wish I had your heart in some of my players.

Last edited:
Reactions: TBone138
stats in the era of offensive football cannot be compared to 20+ years ago.

Rees was what we saw. No one needs stats to tell them what his strengths and weaknesses were. He did max out his productivity, given his lack natural talent.

Stats have always been used in comparing the effectiveness of quarterbacks. I see no reason to change now. How many times did he lead his team to victory compared to the number of loses is important too. JMHO. I also think TR has been groomed by his coaching father through his days at ND to be a coach. I still believe he'll be an excellent head coach someday.

The reality is this...

Out of curiosity, does anyone know what position BK played when he was a player? Was it QB?

I'm not going to argue whether Rees should be offensive coordinator or not and I'm not going to argue whether he deserved his scholarship or not. I will argue, though, that he certainly earned it. From being thrown into an impossible situation as a freshman when when Crist was injured to taking over when Crist imploded in 2011, bailing out Everett Golson two or three times in 2012, and then being available in 2013 after Golson was expelled, Rees was the only option we had, and he gave it everything he had. He doesn't deserve to have you shit all over him.

Rees is a silver spoon. He was good enough to be on a Div 1 team. More like Northwestern though. He was easily the worst player on the team. You want to call it crapping on him. It is the reality of it.

And everything I said is 100% spot on. I havent posted in like 7 months....last time I posted you were trolling both FAarley and Echo. What other poster on this site constantly trolls other posters who they know have them on ignore. ONLY YOU! Cuz you are a freaking psycho. And I know I am spot on about your hard on for other ND coaches. I bet I can go back 5 months and find posts were you buried Brey, Kelly, and the AD! You wanna make that bet? Just think loser...next Wednesday you can begin your 3rd decade of being the most hated poster on this website. And it isn't close for 2nd! ECCCCCCCCCHOOOOOO lives full time in that head!

Nothing you ever say is spot on. Do you mean like when you said there is no wifi in Hawaii? Or that Hawaii is out of the county? I don't think I need a passport to go there. LOL!

Let me tell y'all what's utterly ridiculous in this thread.....

People implying Rees will be average at best and poor at worst being an OC for our offense because he lacked some superior ability as a player therefore it will directly correlate to the results as an OC.

Ara64 ...you act like you know the game yet there you are engaging a poster with detailed stats about Rees and how it will translate as Rees the OC. You aren't the only one doing it as others in this thread showing a skepticism because Rees ability wasn't over the top on the field so therefore he'll be average on the sideline.

One has absolutely NOTHING to do with the other.

Let me repeat that...

ONE HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OTHER!

Most great players in any sport are average at best as coaches. Why? Most of their players can't do what they could physically.

I'll leave this with...
If we fail offensively and or have stagnant QB play it's not on Tommy Rees. He'll take the fall alright but until BK REALLY steps away from the offense it will be business as usual. Robotic yet beating up on the poor and lethargic against the good.

Let me tell y'all what's utterly ridiculous in this thread.....

People implying Rees will be average at best and poor at worst being an OC for our offense because he lacked some superior ability as a player therefore it will directly correlate to the results as an OC.

Ara64 ...you act like you know the game yet there you are engaging a poster with detailed stats about Rees and how it will translate as Rees the OC. You aren't the only one doing it as others in this thread showing a skepticism because Rees ability wasn't over the top on the field so therefore he'll be average on the sideline.

One has absolutely NOTHING to do with the other.

Let me repeat that...

ONE HAS ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH THE OTHER!

Most great players in any sport are average at best as coaches. Why? Most of their players can't do what they could physically.

I'll leave this with...
If we fail offensively and or have stagnant QB play it's not on Tommy Rees. He'll take the fall alright but until BK REALLY steps away from the offense it will be business as usual. Robotic yet beating up on the poor and lethargic against the good.
More winning and winning

Reactions: Pennick4
Rees was way way better as a player than you're giving him credit for. One of NDs all time passing leaders.

Playing in an offense that throws the ball all over the yard does not mean a QB is good if he puts up
Numbers in that type of offense - a good qb wins games he and the team are not supposed too - and they don’t lose to teams where they are the better and more talented team

Holtz era teams were running teams - same w Ara and Devine who s teams favored the run to set up the pass -etc

All the ND QB’s in those time frames did not get to throw the ball all over the yard.

Rees passing numbers mean nothing - fact is he lost games he should of won w bad picks and bad decisions and I don’t think he ever won a game where he was not supposed to win

He was one lucky kid to be able to play for ND - he should of been no more than a QB at a MAC school and I don’t think he would of beat out many MAC QB’s from that era

I just hope he’s a better Offense Cordinator than he was as a player

A lot of times very average players end making or becoming great coaches -( Dabo was a walk on) - so it would be awesome if Rees ends up being a great coach

But stop w Rees ND passing stats when compared to other ND QB - it’s apples and oranges due to the offensive schemes and era’s

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT