ADVERTISEMENT

Record Prediction Thread

Knapp has potential Zack Martin trajectory… could be elite college tackle but projects to be a future guard especially in nfl. Guards aren’t taken top 10 unless you’re generational.

I trust the staff to get the best players on the field. Their only blunder in 2 years with freeman was faison when all accounts had him as our best wr in camp. Maybe dj brown too, he was so assignment correct so I get why they liked him so much but he failed to make so many easy plays. Cost us Ohio state and probably Clemson and gave us no chance vs Louisville.

Game day coaching and prep is Freemans biggest area for improvement.
In hindsight, they probably should've put in Craig for Correll sooner, too.

But this year they're going with the younger guys from the get-go on the OL. That's probably a good thing in the long run, but it could be a challenge in Week 1, against the best front 7 we'll face all year. Hopefully they can hold their own.

Reactions: IrishMike409
Right, man. This is what I'm talking about. Anthony Knapp is the next Zach Martin. Because he's starting as a true frosh. When he wouldn't have been if not for the injury to Jagusah, who we can all now presume to be the next greatest OL in ND history, or simply if Tosh Baker was a little bit less of a bust. And on that circumstantial basis, instead of this being viewed as a somewhat distressing situation in which the coaches feel compelled to stick an undersized true frosh in at the critical LT position, and who will presumably be replaced by Jagusah when's he healthy again, as a matter of unfortunate necessity, it is being proposed that Knapp is playing largely because of the mountingly apparent evidence that this kid is going to be a future NFL HOFer. So yeah, he's a true frosh, but that's offset by the fairly high likelihood he will be one of the best that has ever played the game. He's a future Zach Martin. Simple as that, everyone sees it.

Is this why ND fans are called delusional? This sort of wild optimism bordering on disturbing fanaticism is not peculiar to ND fans that's for sure. But maybe it's more rampant in the ND fanbase, on account of ND's outsider holier than thou identity which already encourages a large degree of rather dubious self-consideration. Anyway, let's hope he can handle A&M's future 1st-round Sr DE well enough that we can at least eke out a win.
Comprehension a challenge for you ? No one said he is the next Zack Martin. At this stage of his career his abilities and traits are very similar to what Zack Martin's were at the same early phase of his time at ND. That's all that was said. As an ND fan one would think you would find that encouraging. No one is comparing Knapp to the current Zack Martin.

@savvyandsassier I think your concerns are justified in this thread. I’m slightly optimistic about Knapp starting over Baker because he beat out a fifth year who has played some. 2024 Baker has to be better than 2021 Baker and Knapp still beat him out. Coogan started every game and Pendelton beat him out. It’s not like Coogan was just in line to start as a senior and the sophomore beat him. Jagusah going down hurts for sure but I’m slightly optimistic along with concerned.

They went all in on brown and didn't prepare someone properly to take over (yes it would have been a young player). No doubt we would have had a set back assignment wise, but do we win a game or two more if someone took his spot (we'll never know)? But he clearly was the weakest link in our 3 losses. Every rushing TD against all 3 teams were pretty much due to a miss tackle by him plus his dropped pick vs OSU.
Didn’t prepare someone or didn’t have much of a choice and played the best man on the roster? Safety depth hasn’t been good from 2022-2024 from what I recall. You’re blaming him for the long OSU TD? He might have made the tackle if he was faster but two other guys messed up before him.

Shuler is a better athlete but it doesn’t seem like he was ready last year.

In hindsight, they probably should've put in Craig for Correll sooner, too.

But this year they're going with the younger guys from the get-go on the OL. That's probably a good thing in the long run, but it could be a challenge in Week 1, against the best front 7 we'll face all year. Hopefully they can hold their own.
Yeah, not even probably. Forgot about that one, Zeke had no business starting last year. Good catch

Right, man. This is what I'm talking about. Anthony Knapp is the next Zach Martin. Because he's starting as a true frosh. When he wouldn't have been if not for the injury to Jagusah, who we can all now presume to be the next greatest OL in ND history, or simply if Tosh Baker was a little bit less of a bust. And on that circumstantial basis, instead of this being viewed as a somewhat distressing situation in which the coaches feel compelled to stick an undersized true frosh in at the critical LT position, and who will presumably be replaced by Jagusah when's he healthy again, as a matter of unfortunate necessity, it is being proposed that Knapp is playing largely because of the mountingly apparent evidence that this kid is going to be a future NFL HOFer. So yeah, he's a true frosh, but that's offset by the fairly high likelihood he will be one of the best that has ever played the game. He's a future Zach Martin. Simple as that, everyone sees it.

Is this why ND fans are called delusional? This sort of wild optimism bordering on disturbing fanaticism is not peculiar to ND fans that's for sure. But maybe it's more rampant in the ND fanbase, on account of ND's outsider holier than thou identity which already encourages a large degree of rather dubious self-consideration. Anyway, let's hope he can handle A&M's future 1st-round Sr DE well enough that we can at least eke out a win.
No one is stating he will be Zack Martin and one of the best in the NFL. It's a trajectory, type of player, etc. Some times they pan out, sometimes they don't. Alt was given a trajectory of top 10 pick as a true frosh, and it happened. Knapp is given one of being a top olinemen in the country and early round pick (probably not top 10 due to height), we'll see if it happens or not. It's far from a lock, and we all know that. But he (knapp) has characteristics that are very very unique and rare.

@savvyandsassier I think your concerns are justified in this thread. I’m slightly optimistic about Knapp starting over Baker because he beat out a fifth year who has played some. 2024 Baker has to be better than 2021 Baker and Knapp still beat him out. Coogan started every game and Pendelton beat him out. It’s not like Coogan was just in line to start as a senior and the sophomore beat him. Jagusah going down hurts for sure but I’m slightly optimistic along with concerned.

Didn’t prepare someone or didn’t have much of a choice and played the best man on the roster? Safety depth hasn’t been good from 2022-2024 from what I recall. You’re blaming him for the long OSU TD? He might have made the tackle if he was faster but two other guys messed up before him.

Shuler is a better athlete but it doesn’t seem like he was ready last year.
That is correct on the OSU long TD. Yes JD and Watts were the bigger issues, but it's insane brown with the angle was that slow.

But the OSU dropped pick (did he drop 2 throughout the game?), the clemson long TD run, and both Louisville TD runs were on him.

That is correct on the OSU long TD. Yes JD and Watts were the bigger issues, but it's insane brown with the angle was that slow.

But the OSU dropped pick (did he drop 2 throughout the game?), the clemson long TD run, and both Louisville TD runs were on him.
He had a chance for another pick in the endzone but I would not call that a drop. I have a hard time being mad at him for the last drive drop too since he’s a DB. Should have been caught but he’s not a receiver.

Poor technique on that Clemson run but he was not the only issue and that wasn’t the first time that play happened against ND. I put that on coaching. First Louisville touchdown didn’t seem like an easy tackle. The back was basically untouched and quickly got way into the defensive backfield. It would be nice if he made the play but how about the first/second levels?

The second TD I put mostly on him. Who knows how these plays would have played out if Shuler was on the field or Henderson? What about the whole season?

I put the blame of the Clemson and Louisville losses more on the offense and Hartman.

He had a chance for another pick in the endzone but I would not call that a drop. I have a hard time being mad at him for the last drive drop too since he’s a DB. Should have been caught but he’s not a receiver.

Poor technique on that Clemson run but he was not the only issue and that wasn’t the first time that play happened against ND. I put that on coaching. First Louisville touchdown didn’t seem like an easy tackle. The back was basically untouched and quickly got way into the defensive backfield. It would be nice if he made the play but how about the first/second levels?

The second TD I put mostly on him. Who knows how these plays would have played out if Shuler was on the field or Henderson? What about the whole season?

I put the blame of the Clemson and Louisville losses more on the offense and Hartman.
Clemson Duke Louisville ran the same D, and we didn't have any outside weapons to exploit it due to injury, talent, etc.

They just loaded the box, and constantly brought pressure from everywhere putting their corners on islands against our poor WRs. IT forced hartman to make quick reads, that's fine, good wrs would have been lethal with all the space those 3 teams gave them, instead, they couldn't get open. SO yes, agree issue was on the offense, but I blame parker and WR recruiting/development, and some unlucky injuries. We should have been in 2 TE sets with both TEs running routes, instead parker typically had one TE staying in to help block.

It's why staes never caught passes with evans on the field, and probably why he's no longer at ND.

Despite offense issues, the D, running game, and hartman being a gamer was almost good enough to win us 1-2 more games.

Last edited:
Yeah, I guess that's the big question. And you could go 50/50 on that, if you're speculatin'. That the freshman are just that good, or the veterans just that bad. No way to tell unless you're pretty much on the coaching staff yourself. My own cautious, more conservative reaction to these developments is to surmise, that of course the coaches would rather start veteran seniors, for every possible obvious reason. And they would only not play them because they were so unexceptional, that painful as it may be for the coaches to have to contemplate, the offense might be better off going with the younger, presumably more promising group, notwithstanding all the negatives and hazards in doing so. And that's like a coach's nightmare. To have an OL this young and inexperienced. Only resorted to out of desperation.

And that's where we're at. Maybe Knapp will be the next Zach Martin, maybe not. Probably not, I think it goes without saying. But either way Tosh Baker just isn't getting it done. Rocco not getting it done. They've already been underachievers leading up to this season, and the way it's breaking down, considering their development or lack thereof, we're just not going to have the luxury of a typical, much more preferable veteran OL, because those same vets just aren't good enough. That's definitely what I would guess is the scenario, not being privy to any inside info. So all spin aside, we'll see how it goes.,...

Clemson Duke Louisville ran the same D, and we didn't have any outside weapons to exploit it due to injury, talent, etc.

They just loaded the box, and constantly brought pressure from everywhere putting their corners on islands against our poor WRs. IT forced hartman to make quick reads, that's fine, good wrs would have been lethal with all the space those 3 teams gave them, instead, they couldn't get open. SO yes, agree issue was on the offense, but I blame parker and WR recruiting/development, and some unlucky injuries. We should have been in 2 TE sets with both TEs running routes, instead parker typically had one TE staying in to help block.

It's why staes never caught passes with evans on the field, and probably why he's no longer at ND.
I wonder if that’s why Stuckey was let go. Flores did not have a good game aside from athletic ability.

I also wonder if Staes is a bigger loss than most think. He had some nice catches. The first drive of the second half against USC…Staes is wide open and Hartman forces it to Evans and then they had to punt. Should have been a 15 yard gain. I do wish Staes had hung around to get his degree.

They went all in on brown and didn't prepare someone properly to take over (yes it would have been a young player). No doubt we would have had a set back assignment wise, but do we win a game or two more if someone took his spot (we'll never know)? But he clearly was the weakest link in our 3 losses. Every rushing TD against all 3 teams were pretty much due to a miss tackle by him plus his dropped pick vs OSU.
We'll never know. And we'll never know if the replacement would have been worse and cost us in other games

Overall, I'd say he was adequate last year. For what was expected of him. Henderson was worse so it would have to have been a true frosh

I wonder if that’s why Stuckey was let go. Flores did not have a good game aside from athletic ability.

I also wonder if Staes is a bigger loss than most think. He had some nice catches. The first drive of the second half against USC…Staes is wide open and Hartman forces it to Evans and then they had to punt. Should have been a 15 yard gain. I do wish Staes had hung around to get his degree.
Stuckey.... lay off the weed especially with players...

Comprehension a challenge for you ? No one said he is the next Zack Martin. At this stage of his career his abilities and traits are very similar to what Zack Martin's were at the same early phase of his time at ND. That's all that was said. As an ND fan one would think you would find that encouraging. No one is comparing Knapp to the current Zack Martin.
That's the same thing as saying he's the next Zach Martin. You're starting an unheralded true frosh LT who presumably was not even recruited to play LT, and certainly was in no way expected to be a true frosh starter, which is an alarming development.... And that can be offset, if you feel the need, as far as spinning this shitty scenario goes, by hinting that this guy looks like a young Zach Martin. It's a rhetorical device. An argumentative tactic. Empty nuance. I don't give a whit what this kid is, no offense, I just don't to want to lose to A&M, or to any other beatable opponent on account of our LT getting overwhelmed week after week because our OL situation sucks and so we ended up starting a true frosh. We can fuss over what former all-time ND great OL he reminds you of later.

Yeah, I guess that's the big question. And you could go 50/50 on that, if you're speculatin'. That the freshman are just that good, or the veterans just that bad. No way to tell unless you're pretty much on the coaching staff yourself. My own cautious, more conservative reaction to these developments is to surmise, that of course the coaches would rather start veteran seniors, for every possible obvious reason. And they would only not play them because they were so unexceptional, that painful as it may be for the coaches to have to contemplate, the offense might be better off going with the younger, presumably more promising group, notwithstanding all the negatives and hazards in doing so. And that's like a coach's nightmare. To have an OL this young and inexperienced. Only resorted to out of desperation.

And that's where we're at. Maybe Knapp will be the next Zach Martin, maybe not. Probably not, I think it goes without saying. But either way Tosh Baker just isn't getting it done. Rocco not getting it done. They've already been underachievers leading up to this season, and the way it's breaking down, considering their development or lack thereof, we're just not going to have the luxury of a typical, much more preferable veteran OL, because those same vets just aren't good enough. That's definitely what I would guess is the scenario, not being privy to any inside info. So all spin aside, we'll see how it goes.,...
I’m thinking that Knapp’s athleticism makes ND more dangerous in the screen game, particularly the receiver screen game. He may be a better pass protector too if he has better foot speed and a higher football IQ than Baker. This might make ND less predictable when it comes to protecting the QB.

I can’t help but think that Knapp’s athleticism will actually make him more valuable than Baker as a run blocker.

It is concerning however that the staff basically announced Baker as the starter and then backtracked IIRC.

I’m thinking that Knapp’s athleticism makes ND more dangerous in the screen game, particularly the receiver screen game. He may be a better pass protector too if he has better foot speed and a higher football IQ than Baker. This might make ND less predictable when it comes to protecting the QB.

I can’t help but think that Knapp’s athleticism will actually make him more valuable than Baker as a run blocker.

It is concerning however that the staff basically announced Baker as the starter and then backtracked IIRC.
Apparently Knapp is one of the stronger guys on the line. Very strong from what's being reported

Reactions: IrishMike409
Stuckey.... lay off the weed especially with players...
You know this for a fact? Kind of bogus to put this out there without having concrete proof. I’ve seen a poster on another board that knows him and his wife and was adamant that that was not true.

You know this for a fact? Kind of bogus to put this out there without having concrete proof. I’ve seen a poster on another board that knows him and his wife and was adamant that that was not true.
Just what has been reported on certain premium ND sites.

I don't really know many people who would admit to that so that part means nothing to me honestly

I don't smoke weed but if I did I wouldn't admit to smoking with my players no matter what

Just what has been reported on certain premium ND sites.

I don't really know many people who would admit to that so that part means nothing to me honestly

I don't smoke weed but if I did I wouldn't admit to smoking with my players no matter what
I get that basically no one would admit to that. It’s just hearsay/speculation on both ends. I’d be livid if this was out there about me and completely unfounded. Maybe it’s true. Maybe not. Best to not mention it like that IMO.

I get that basically no one would admit to that. It’s just hearsay/speculation on both ends. I’d be livid if this was out there about me and completely unfounded. Maybe it’s true. Maybe not. Best to not mention it like that IMO.
Well it was reported and talked about on a ND podcast so I'm going to mention it

There's no doubt he had locker room issues

ND would absolutely prefer not to have to start a true frosh LT. IMO, they gave Tosh the first crack at winning the job, but knapp is just flat out better than him. Does that mean he's good yet, no, because i don't think tosh is very good.

We'll know a lot about this team in 60 hours.

Well presumably he will be better and that's why he's starting. That doesn't mean he's any good. That just means he's better than TB. Which is pretty much the crux of this whole thing. Anyway, I hope he is the next Zach Martin because we could use it, and I want to make the playoff so badly this year. I don't know if ND is going to be an annual playoff contender type program, and we can't blow this chance with such an easy schedule and good defense.

Stuckey was let go very fast, and he's not coaching anywhere. He also hasn't said a word. Don't know what happened, but something did.

Reactions: Golson5
That's the same thing as saying he's the next Zach Martin. You're starting an unheralded true frosh LT who presumably was not even recruited to play LT, and certainly was in no way expected to be a true frosh starter, which is an alarming development.... And that can be offset, if you feel the need, as far as spinning this shitty scenario goes, by hinting that this guy looks like a young Zach Martin. It's a rhetorical device. An argumentative tactic. Empty nuance. I don't give a whit what this kid is, no offense, I just don't to want to lose to A&M, or to any other beatable opponent on account of our LT getting overwhelmed week after week because our OL situation sucks and so we ended up starting a true frosh. We can fuss over what former all-time ND great OL he reminds you of later.
No it's not. Not even close. It's what people I trust have told me. I've never seen the kid play. At this juncture no one knows what he'll become. Fret all you'd like, it won't change anything. ND has three young, talented first time starters on their offensive line. As a life time fan and long time football person in various capacities that excites me.

Shitty scenario ? What a drama queen. It's college football. You have to reboot every few years. Everyone does. Instead of all the hand wringing I'm thrilled there are young talented guys ready to step up.

Reactions: irishalice

Of course they named Baker. You have a depth chart for a reason. They didn't hand Knapp the job, he took it.

Of course they named Baker. You have a depth chart for a reason. They didn't hand Knapp the job, he took it.
I’m not saying they handed him the job. In the context of “how concerned are we,” it’s a little odd that Baker was given the green light and then it was switched. I’m pretty sure the coaches spoke with more confidence about Baker than just listing him #1. Then again, one could take that to mean that Knapp has really impressed. Who knows.

I’m concerned but optimistic.

I’m not saying they handed him the job. In the context of “how concerned are we,” it’s a little odd that Baker was given the green light and then it was switched. I’m pretty sure the coaches spoke with more confidence about Baker than just listing him #1. Then again, one could take that to mean that Knapp has really impressed. Who knows.

I’m concerned but optimistic.
As am I and for all the young guys seeing their first extensive action.

Is that your line of work, PR? Platitudinous PR? The subject by now has been beaten quite to death, though it is a compelling storyline, in this inaugural playoff season, MF's all-important and defining third season in charge, to have such a remarkably, and I definitely dare say alarmingly young and inexperienced starting OL. And all you have in your feeble defense of this situation is comparisons to all-time great ND players, and firm, but irrelevant proclamations that Knapp 'took' the job, and wasn't handed it, as if that means anything at all. They chose him as the starter. No one ever takes or is handed anything. That's just rhetoric. And I would submit most reasonable people would assume this transpired like it has because Tosh Baker was just plain lousy, lousy enough that the coaches felt they just could not trust him with that responsibility, and they would have liked to have handed him the job, as a fifth year guy, but he's just not good enough. And so out of desperation.... Knapp becomes the true frosh starter by default, whatever his long-term potential may or may not be.

And that's our situation. Not ideal. And the temptation to portray Knapp as some future phenom powerful, rather than a more modest and sober take that he's simply far enough along for a true frosh to be considered a tolerable, and hopefully serviceable upgrade on the underachieving/unreliable Tosh Baker. And I think we should probably wrap this up, even though I'm enjoying being a gadfly and nerding out on CFB.

That is not a true assessment. There is no way to know that Knapp wouldnt have overtaken Jagusah in camp if he hadnt gotten hurt. Its not like Jagusah was an All American tackle. He had 1 start in a bowl game. Its the same way no one was predicting Pendleton was gonna beat out Spindler & Coogan for guard. I think Freeman doesnt give the same benefit of doubt to the vets that Kelly did.

Last edited:
Shitty scenario ? What a drama queen. It's college football. You have to reboot every few years. Everyone does. Instead of all the hand wringing I'm thrilled there are young talented guys ready to step up.
Yeah, it's a shitty scenario. How far do you plan on taking this unfounded, blind homer optimism? By your standards and sensibilities it would appear there are no shitty scenarios, there's just challenges! Even though CFB is the ultimate of zero sum games and only one team wins and the other one loses. So you don't want to find yourself at a stark disadvantage. Because if you lose you lose. You are not graded on a curve. There are no handicaps awarded when tallying up the score.

And you just said you were 'thrilled'. I'm thrilled for you that you're thrilled....

That is not a true assessment. There is no way to know that Knapp wouldnt have overtaken Jagusah in camp if he hadnt gotten hurt. Its not like Jagusah was an All American tackle. He had 1 start in a bowl game. Its the same way no one was predicting Pendleton was gonna beat out Spindler & Coogan for guard. I think Freeman doesnt give the same benefit of doubt to the vets that Kelly did.
So you're upping the ante, huh.... You're doubling down! Not only is Anthonie Knapp the next Zach Martin, one of the greatest players in NFL history, or at least a future HOFerr, and certainly one of ND's greatest OL of all time. He totally would have, or at least might have beaten out Jagusah, who himself was already being hailed by some as our next elite NFL LT prospect. We'll call him the next Ronnie Stanley. Not exactly an all time great, but still a top ten draft pick. And for all we know Knapp would have beaten him out too, had he had his rightful opportunity. He's not starting as sort of an emergency plan B, because the situation with our OL is shall we say, acute.... It's because he's awesome. A generational talent. Tosh Baker would probably start for 95% of P5 teams. And if not for the greatness of the aforementioned Jagusah, Baker would be firmly entrenched. But Knapp is just too special, too dominant, too extraordinary. And once he got a chance to strut his stuff in practice, any obstacles, including the hapless but highly credible and capable Tosh Baker, to his meteoric ascent to unquestionably justified starter status solely on his own copious merits quite naturally fell by the wayside. Simply put, Anthonie Knapp is God. And please don't take that as blasphemy. Only to say that if Eric Clapton was God, then easily Anthonie Knapp is as well....

How does that sound?

So you're upping the ante, huh.... You're doubling down! Not only is Anthonie Knapp the next Zach Martin, one of the greatest players in NFL history, or at least a future HOFerr, and certainly one of ND's greatest OL of all time. He totally would have, or at least might have beaten out Jagusah, who himself was already being hailed by some as our next elite NFL LT prospect. We'll call him the next Ronnie Stanley. Not exactly an all time great, but still a top ten draft pick. And for all we know Knapp would have beaten him out too, had he had his rightful opportunity. He's not starting as sort of an emergency plan B, because the situation with our OL is shall we say, acute.... It's because he's awesome. A generational talent. Tosh Baker would probably start for 95% of P5 teams. And if not for the greatness of the aforementioned Jagusah, Baker would be firmly entrenched. But Knapp is just too special, too dominant, too extraordinary. And once he got a chance to strut his stuff in practice, any obstacles, including the hapless but highly credible and capable Tosh Baker, to his meteoric ascent to unquestionably justified starter status solely on his own copious merits quite naturally fell by the wayside. Simply put, Anthonie Knapp is God. And please don't take that as blasphemy. Only to say that if Eric Clapton was God, then easily Anthonie Knapp is as well....

How does that sound?
Never said or implied Knapp was Zack Martin. I was just pointing out that Pendleton beat out 2 upper classman with game experience because of how he performed in camp and that Freeman isnt afraid to play a younger player over a vet. Take Ben Morrison he was a freshman and took Lewis's job even though Lewis had start the season before. You're making it seem that Knapp is only there because there is no one else instead of him being the best player.

Never said or implied Knapp was Zack Martin. I was just pointing out that Pendleton beat out 2 upper classman with game experience because of how he performed in camp and that Freeman isnt afraid to play a younger player over a vet. Take Ben Morrison he was a freshman and took Lewis's job even though Lewis had start the season before. You're making it seem that Knapp is only there because there is no one else instead of him being the best player.
I think KVA will be starting in a few weeks as well. I don't see bowen having the instincts to hold him off.

This is the type of game you need to win to make that jump to the top tier. This would be a great win for the playoff resume.
Beating a 7-6 in 2023 middle of the road SEC team does not elevate anyone to a top tier.

I was up in the Irish winning this game comfortably
But the last few days I’ve changed my mind.
What’s your guys predictions ?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT