ADVERTISEMENT

Record Prediction Thread

Treat Riley Leonard like the Notre Dame staff did with Ian Book. Run him little and keep him healthy.
Ian Book had 116 carries as a senior and he was much smaller than Book

So he averaged almost 10 carries a game. So they didn't run him little. They ran him to win

Reactions: BGI User 756
Running centric QB's are an injury waiting to happen. A matter of when.

I am more of a fan of the Tom Brady style of QB play, rather than Michael Vick.
Every player is an injury waiting to happen. Do what it takes to win and be smart. Slide on occasion and get out of bounds.

Every player is an injury waiting to happen. Do what it takes to win and be smart. Slide on occasion and get out of bounds.
I am more of a fan of the Tom Brady style of play, or the Harbaugh//JJ McCarthy style of play if you want the college version. Always have been.

JJ McCarthy ran the football a grand total of three times in 2023. It worked.

Simply my preference.

I am more of a fan of the Tom Brady style of play, or the Harbaugh//JJ McCarthy style of play if you want the college version. Always have been.

Simply my preference.
I don't know where you are getting that number from, he had 64 carries in 2023. Not 3.

I thought you wanted the Ian Book thing but your memory was poor on that one too

I don't know where you are getting that number from, he had 64 carries in 2023. Not 3.

I thought you wanted the Ian Book thing but your memory was poor on that one too
Yes, 64. I looked at something else.

That said, I am far bigger fan of the pocket QB style of play that Harbaugh and JJ McCarthy utilized rather than relying on QB legs to win a title.

And given the state of the ND OL, all the best to Riley Leonard.

Simply my preference.
To each their own and I respect your opinion.

When the QB is involved in the run game, the defense often times has to weaken their pass defense to account for numbers. When the defense does this, it can substantially open up the pass game. It’s a tremendous stress to the defense IMO when the QB is involved.

He doesn’t even have to take a hit always if it’s an option style play.

Yes, 64. I looked at something else.

That said, I am far bigger fan of the pocket QB style of play that Harbaugh and JJ McCarthy utilized rather than relying on QB legs to win a title.
He used his legs against the better competition on Michigan's schedule. Either running or getting out of the pocket to throw

They just didn't play much conp throughout the year and they ran the ball much more than we are going to.

To each their own but you need a QB that can move in this era and JJ definitely could. Really good athlete

A lot of P4 teams would love to have our OL going into the year
If the goal is to win a title, if you’re satisfied with the 2024 ND OL, more power to you.

I could not care less if Minnesota or TCU would be happy with this OL.

If the goal is to win a title, if you’re satisfied with the 2024 ND OL, more power to you.

I could not care less if Minnesota or TCU would be happy with this OL.
That's a different conversation. You're saying we need prayers. Giving your best to Riley Leonard

That's 2 totally different things. You are acting like we have trash

Not with this 2024 schedule if Notre Dame doesn't go undefeated it's a disappointment

There is basically 4 games on the schedule The other eight are non-competitive stomp fests versus teams ranked in the 80s to 130s
Cmon. Undefeated seasons are incredibly rare.

What " state " is that ?
Significant question marks, inexperienced is putting it lightly. I blame no one. You will never hear me bad mouth one coach. When you have two third year tackles go the first two rounds of the NFL Draft, the next tackle in line blows out an ACL, and this is coming off an overall just OK OL from 2023, it is what it is.

IMO, this is the least proficient overall OL Notre Dame has fielded to start a season in quite a long, long time.

Significant question marks, inexperienced is putting it lightly. I blame no one. You will never hear me bad mouth one coach. When you have two third year tackles go the first two rounds of the NFL Draft, the next tackle in line blows out an ACL, and this is coming off an overall just OK OL from 2023, it is what it is.

IMO, this is the least proficient overall OL Notre Dame has fielded to start a season in quite a long, long time.
Where are the weak links?

Knapp? Is that where your worried?

Pendleton beat out 2 veteran experienced former starters.

Where are the weak links?

Knapp? Is that where your worried?

Pendleton beat out 2 veteran experienced former starters.
I have followed this football program for a long time. The weak link on the OL, IMO, is the collective group.

As I stated, IMO the least proficient group of 5 OL in a long long time.

And I blame no one.

Reactions: IrishMike409
I have followed this football program for a long time. The weak link on the OL, IMO, is the collective group.

And I blame no one.
This OL is and will be much better than 2021 OL

And I blame no one.
OL has been the best position group for ND and we have consistantly recruited in the top 5 over the last decade. Craig was a redshirt freshman last year & was a huge upgrade at center when he took over after injury. ND's defense was elite last year & has a chance to be even better this year. WR coach & group as a whole is an upgrade from last year. RB's with Love & Price is a heck of a 1 2 punch. We brought in a vet fg kicker with a great resume from South Carolina. You're just stirring the pot looking to troll.

And I blame no one.
It's the most talented room in a long time. You're associating youth with a lack of ability.

I'm going 12-0. I don't see a team on the schedule that I don't think we're gonna beat.

The OL, while young and inexperienced, is full of high-end talent. Leonard has a big year. The D is the force that we all think it's gonna be. RBs and WRs are extremely talented, they're gonna make plays all year. Freeman continues to progress and push the program forward.

12-0, 5 seed.

I'll be devastated if we lose Saturday. At TAMU is a huge game for this program.

I agree w almost all that you said, but SJB isn't a troll. He's making a big deal out of the OL situation, but he's not trolling. He's a solid consistent poster here.
Thanks. Simply put, I believe the OL is a concern relative to the lofty goals this program has for 2024.

That’s it.

Reactions: IrishMike409
I'm going 12-0. I don't see a team on the schedule that I don't think we're gonna beat.

The OL, while young and inexperienced, is full of high-end talent. Leonard has a big year. The D is the force that we all think it's gonna be. RBs and WRs are extremely talented, they're gonna make plays all year. Freeman continues to progress and push the program forward.

12-0, 5 seed.

I'll be devastated if we lose Saturday. At TAMU is a huge game for this program.
Disappointed if we lose? Absolutely. No question.

Devastated? No.

12-0, 5 seed.

And frankly, 12-0 is a ludicrous expectation.

No wonder you’d be devastated.

Running centric QB's are an injury waiting to happen. A matter of when.

I am more of a fan of the Tom Brady style of QB play, rather than Michael Vick.
Especially when the QB was hurt most of last year and spring

12-0, 5 seed.

A loss Saturday wouldn't surprise me. Run the table afterwards and all is well. It's a difficult environment for sure for an opening game. I love it. Let the process begin.

4 teams in the top 26 pre season and GT will get bumped up.

Schedule is solid. No fcs teams 4 or 5 top 30 teams. Solid schedule
ugh.......NO. You have a poor definition of the word "solid". I would say it is mediocre

Thanks. Simply put, I believe the OL is a concern relative to the lofty goals this program has for 2024.

That’s it.
I don’t think it’s negative to say the OL is a question mark. I would say that is somewhat obvious. No one can assume this OL will be great with little experience. I agree with you here.

On the flip side I think it’s equally incorrect to assume they won’t be good either. It’s simply something we are going to have to wait and see on the field. Sometimes I think posters view “question marks” as negative, when in reality, there’s just not enough evidence to form a rational conclusion— hence the question mark.

Reactions: echowaker
I don’t think it’s negative to say the OL is a question mark. I would say that is somewhat obvious. No one can assume this OL will be great with little experience. I agree with you here.

On the flip side I think it’s equally incorrect to assume they won’t be good either. It’s simply something we are going to have to wait and see on the field. Sometimes I think posters view “question marks” as negative, when in reality, there’s just not enough evidence to form a rational conclusion— hence the question mark.
Six combined starts, previous starts, amongst this starting group. Obviously that's not good. Forget about talent, or upside. That's incredible, that's like an all-new starting lineup, and every one no more than a third year player in the program, including a true frosh LT seemingly playing out of position. So regardless of the raw talent and/or potential, that represents a huge challenge for this season. It's difficult to imagine or characterize this scenario as anything but a bit of a negative, to say the least. Because that's just not what anybody wants out of their OL, they want an experienced, seasoned crew. That's the ideal, that's what coaches strive to create on their rosters and depth charts. That they play well with each other and are physically developed and have the competitive and technical maturity and savvy in this one particularly intimate position group. And our situation is like the polar opposite of that.

So it's definitely a negative I would say. Could they manage to play very well in spite of it? Of course, but no betting man would look at our OL and think everything's hunky dory....

Six combined starts, previous starts, amongst this starting group. Obviously that's not good. Forget about talent, or upside. That's incredible, that's like an all-new starting lineup, and every one no more than a third year player in the program, including a true frosh LT seemingly playing out of position. So regardless of the raw talent and/or potential, that represents a huge challenge for this season. It's difficult to imagine or characterize this scenario as anything but a bit of a negative, to say the least. Because that's just not what anybody wants out of their OL, they want an experienced, seasoned crew. That's the ideal, that's what coaches strive to create on their rosters and depth charts. That they play well with each other and are physically developed and have the competitive and technical maturity and savvy in this one particularly intimate position group. And our situation is like the polar opposite of that.

So it's definitely a negative I would say. Could they manage to play very well in spite of it? Of course, but no betting man would look at our OL and think everything's hunky dory....
The players selected beat out other players with more starts/experience. What would you suggest the coaches do? Start the experienced players while knowing deep down, they saw younger players performing better? At ND you play the best players. Joe Alt and Benjamin Morrison seemed to do ok when they started as true freshman, both very average recruits as well…

I'm going Bodi on this one. Well not quite, but I'll try my best, because there is only one Bodi.

Coach Freeman, will elevate the team and program to a 12-0 regular season with the help from offensive genius Mike Denbrock, and defensive guru Al Golden.

Riley Leonard will win the Heisman as he leads the team to its 12th National Championship, beating LSU along the way, and not only beating Georgia, but dominating them in the national championship game!

It's college football. Impossible to have an experienced, seasoned crew every year. It's another changing of the guard for ND up front. Happens to every team every couple of years. I'm excited that the younger guys have raised their game and given themselves an opportunity for extensive playing time. Equating a lack of experience to automatically assume a poor performance is short sighted. First time starters are just that. I expect them to have their share of struggles Saturday night. I also expect them to show continued improvement as the season progresses. Until there is unlimited eligibility these cycles will continue to occur.

Reactions: NDinNJ
The players selected beat out other players with more starts/experience. What would you suggest the coaches do? Start the experienced players while knowing deep down, they saw younger players performing better? At ND you play the best players. Joe Alt and Benjamin Morrison seemed to do ok when they started as true freshman, both very average recruits as well…
What do you mean? Just because the coaches have no other choice doesn't mean that it's a positive. It's obviously not. It's a serious concern. So it is what it is, but our OL is an indubitably, shall we say, suboptimal situation. It's almost uncanny just how extreme it is. Six total starts. It really stands out as a glaring point of concern for an otherwise largely playoff-poised team.

As far as younger players beating out older players I don't take that as a positive at all. To me it absolutely suggests that our veteran returnees simply weren't very good. And not that Anthony Knapp is some phenom young LT who couldn't be denied. I would definitely take it that it was felt that Rocco, and Coogan and especially Tosh Baker were so mediocre that the coaches decided to bite the bullet and go with a younger group, and it wasn't a happy decision to have to make. I would definitely say that would be the takeaway. Nobody wants to start an OL this young, because that's a nightmare situation. And presumably the veterans were given every chance to nail down their spots and just weren't good enough. And pretty much the young guys won by default.

In any case, it will all come out in the wash, and we'll find out this Saturday where we're at. Hopefully they're serviceable. And can develop from there....

What do you mean? Just because the coaches have no other choice doesn't mean that it's a positive. It's obviously not. It's a serious concern. So it is what it is, but our OL is an indubitably, shall we say, suboptimal situation. It's almost uncanny just how extreme it is. Six total starts. It really stands out as a glaring point of concern for an otherwise largely playoff-poised team.

As far as younger players beating out older players I don't take that as a positive at all. To me it absolutely suggests that our veteran returnees simply weren't very good. And not that Anthony Knapp is some phenom young LT who couldn't be denied. I would definitely take it that it was felt that Rocco, and Coogan and especially Tosh Baker were so mediocre that the coaches decided to bite the bullet and go with a younger group, and it wasn't a happy decision to have to make. I would definitely say that would be the takeaway. Nobody wants to start an OL this young, because that's a nightmare situation. And presumably the veterans were given every chance to nail down their spots and just weren't good enough. And pretty much the young guys won by default.

In any case, it will all come out in the wash, and we'll find out this Saturday where we're at. Hopefully they're serviceable. And can develop from there....
Default ? I think that's unfair. None of us know how it played out. I choose to be optimistic and excited about the changes. It's an extremely talented O Line room. I trust the staff to made the correct decision.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT